Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Campaign Contributions Pay for Hendrix Cadillac « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/kilp-bar12e_20050302.htm

Wow this is some leadership. I haven't given any money to the Helmut Freman Hendrix Campaign, but if I did I would be !@^&*@&*&#% to find out part of MY CONTRIBUTION from my HARD EARNED PAYCHECK went to pay for a comfy, cushy ride in a new cadillac.

Freman has some lame excuse about how Sharon and Kwame get free rides. "Wah...they get fancy cars so should I." THEY'RE WORKING YOU FOOL! YOU ARE UNEMPLOYED!

What kind of leadership is this? So far all I hear from the freman camp is rhetoric about some adult leadership and honor and respect. What a mess...house of cards if you ask me.

Quinn

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Picture of Freeman in Cadillac that CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS PAY FOR!

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3185
Posted From: 141.217.173.92
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Usually campaign ads require a disclaimer explaining who paid for it. I hope DetroitYES isn't - unintentionally - committing any campaign finance violations (or doing a Lemmons as the kids say) because of this thread.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 709
Posted From: 66.178.228.67
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Wayne County officials said that any money McPhail raised in 2004 should have been reported by Jan. 31.

McPhail said she thought she had until July to file her mayoral campaign-finance report."

Real sharp, Sharon.

Quinn

Post Number: 45
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I PAID FOR IT. I bought the software that placed his head in that manufacturer photo. So there!

Campaign finance whatever! I'm mad...isn't this what this site is for? I think you're just ashamed Jelk...it's ok. We all would fell hurt and let down if this were our chosen candidate. Sharon, and I'm sure even Kwame, would welcome you with open arms.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 86
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey thanks for showing this Quinn I have been raising the flag on this issue for a week. I really can't believe that he is suppose to be "one of the people" and now he just shows us that he is the same old same old as the Kwamster team. This guy is suppose to be anti corrupt? Yeah it may not be corrupt to lease a car for your campaign - but it sure is irresponsible to get a caddy - maybe he got a good lease deal but perception is everything!

Jelk

Post Number: 3188
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who said Hendrix is my chosen candidate? I'm voting for Kwame Kenyatta.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 2278
Posted From: 63.84.207.67
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Quinn, were you equally outraged by Sharon double dipping on payroll? Taking time out of her duties as a Council member to be corporation counsel fo Ecorse? If this is a campaign issue, lets see you raise the Ecorse/McPahil issue.

In this instance, the actions of the candidate may be distasteful, but it is not a violation of state bar ethics and certainly not an abuse of City funded payroll as McPhail's antics were. At this point all he has done is perhaps violate the trust of his contributers. Or not.

I wonder, if Lonnie Bates justification of using first class flights can be used in this case. "Hey voters gotta see I'm a somebody or they won't elect me."

If not willing to do that, take the "stooges for McPhail" act to another forum and allow people to discuss real issues without you and Pal Brian poisoning everything with your highly biased views. At this point you are little better than Anne Coulter.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Skulker so Brian and Quinn are just suppose to shut up and sit around and smile like idiots because they are "picking" on your candidate. Last I saw this was a forum to discuss issues that we have a problem with or support. You sure wanted to throw in our faces that Sharon did "double dipping" - when that is not even the truth - the city does not even have no competes and furthermore she worked on civil items - Ecorse has an attorney for Detroit related issues! FACE IT....Freman screwed up so quit trying to pitch the ball into another yard! And grow up! If people want to bring an issue you up on this Forum let them! If someone throws something out here about McPhail I would defend your right to do so ...I may not like it but it is part of being an adult!

Quinn

Post Number: 46
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You just like Freman because he's unemployed like you...nothing better to do than post 2278 replies and threads I see?

Go attack another DetroitYES poster.

Jelk

Post Number: 3191
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker's not unemployed. Quinn we have enough liars around here what with Steve Wilson. No need for you to make shit up as well.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 172.145.63.77
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing illegal about the Caddy lease. A very stupid move nonetheless. Judgment questions abound. Why couldn't he have leased a Chevy or something? Makes one wonder about a lot of things. If he doesn't get this, what else doesn't he get?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 172.145.63.77
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,

There's nothing wrong with Skulker's post. It's a very good example of the sharp give and take fostered by Lowell's fabulous forum. Your girl Sharon has a big target on her back. She asked for it. She's the one who wants the job.

Quinn

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes...I never said there was anything illegal. I think state campaign finance law does allow for the lease of a vehicle.

It speaks to Freman's intelligence I think. When you are running for a prominent public office, in a very devisive race where everything you do will be picked apart and inspected, why would you lease a car at all let alone a luxury vehicle. A year from now no-one will be thinking "Freman lost because he misapporiated funds from his campaign to lease an automobile that some thought was over-the-top." It will be "Remember that guy who leased a Cadillac with his Campaign Cash?"

I have to admit, if he leased a Ford Grand Marquis or some other full-sized sedan (not luxury) I don't think I would have even thought twice about this. What is he thinking? I agree with you wholeheartledly Swingline.

And Jelk, best friend to skulk, he was taking pot shots at me. It's not like I have information about jelk, I was surmising from the number of posts.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.246.98.247
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So he screwed up. Sharon and Kwame are still terrible canidates. Its the old lesser of the evils problem.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1285
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's running for Mayor of Detroit dammit, what's he supposed to do drive around town in a borrowed Rambler? HAH! :-) (for those who recognize the reference)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline- If I offended you are I apologize - my issue with his statement is the following...

"allow people to discuss real issues without you and Pal Brian poisoning everything with your highly biased views"

I take that as saying that Quinn should not be posting and to take it elsewhere. If you want to discuss something you should be allowed to.

Thanks Swing

Quinn

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Responses to Skulker (quotes around his posts)

"So Quinn, were you equally outraged by Sharon double dipping on payroll? Taking time out of her duties as a Council member to be corporation counsel fo Ecorse? If this is a campaign issue, lets see you raise the Ecorse/McPahil issue." - Sharon worked on off hours for the city of Ecorse, as other Council Members are able to do, representing areas that had nothing whatsoever to do with the City of Detroit, particularly DWSD, or her responsibilities as City Coucil Woman. Judge Giovann said "Although I think you might be right Ms McPhail...I'm ruling against you anyway." She still disagrees with his ruling I'm sure but quit the job and court case to avoid further wasted time.

"In this instance, the actions of the candidate may be distasteful, but it is not a violation of state bar ethics and certainly not an abuse of City funded payroll as McPhail's antics were. At this point all he has done is perhaps violate the trust of his contributers. Or not." I never said anything about violating the law.

"I wonder, if Lonnie Bates justification of using first class flights can be used in this case. "Hey voters gotta see I'm a somebody or they won't elect me." " I'm betting this is the reason for the cadillac. People in B-ham and Bloomfield Hills aren't going to write checks to some loser pulling up in a Chevy Cavalier.

"If not willing to do that, take the "stooges for McPhail" act to another forum and allow people to discuss real issues without you and Pal Brian poisoning everything with your highly biased views. At this point you are little better than Anne Coulter." I've always admitted I was biased. I love Sharon. She's great and WHAT THIS CITY NEEDS! But why the Anne Coulter slam? Man...that is harsh.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1521
Posted From: 12.75.20.159
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definately a dumb move to lease a Cadillac with donated funds while trying to get elected Mayor of a city with severe financial problems. OK, so all three major candidates are lacking in judgement in some ways. Ugh. How many more months of this?

Quinn, I may not agree with some of Skulker's politics or opinions but he's contributed far more valuable insight on the happenings in Detroit than 90% of the posters up in here. There's no need to respond like you did in post #46.

Perhaps he stepped over the line in his last paragraph of his post ("stooges for McPhail"). Fine, respond with an intelligent rather than an emotional response and you'll be rewarded with the thoughtful consideration of many readers.

Providing quality information and intelligent responses to challenges is more beneficial to the forum and gives your postings more impact. Matching low-blow for low-blow drives conversation into the ground. This is a nice place to hang out, let's keep it that way people.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2281
Posted From: 63.69.106.5
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOW this is FUNNY. Hendrix made a big deal about Kwame Kilpatrick's Navigator and now he is leasing a caddy. One guy likes Ford the other likes GM. Is it a surprise that Hendrix served under Archer when GM was awarded all those tax incentives for merely being in the city? But what message of leadership does this send? Hendrix gets a city pension which is more than most city workers salary. He can afford UofM tuition for his son and can afford to finance his daughters living expenses in Spain. That is not an indication that he suffers while being unemployed. According to Hendrix he didn't have to leave SSS. But he chose to do so to run for mayor. If it created a financial burden for him perhaps he should have remained on the job while he campaigned. Also what car did he drive to work each day when he was working in the private sector? Did his wife also drive him to work?

Why didn't Hendrix lease a Focus or Aveo? That would have shown leadership on the financial front. Will Hendrix continue the practice of KK and Archer and make extravagant purchases for himself while cutting city jobs, salaries and benefits? Under Archer it took the DPOA many many months to get the mayor to come to the table and work out a contract.

Also,

Kwame Kenyatta is not a candidate for any office. No one can vote for him until November when you can vote a write in candidate. Good Luck with that.

Sharon McPhail did not make a "violation of state bar ethics nor abuse any City funded payroll". The courts ruled that the law stating you cannot have conflicting jobs (as a politician) applied to McPhail Ecorse position. Its not the spin you attempt to draw skulker.

Brian

Post Number: 2282
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Navigator news came out folks on this forum jumped on the criticize/bash Kwame bandwagon. But no laws or rules were broken.

Now the news of Hendrix leasing a caddilac comes out and folks make excuses for his actions.

But its the same issue.

Both men leased expensive vehicles with money that does not belong to them.

Quinn

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it funny you don't reprimand Skulker for his stooges comment. "Oh he might have gone over the line." I'm onto all ya'll! at least I'm honest about who I support and don't ninny-nanny, step around the subject with veiled, pejorative comments.

Thanks for your thoughtful comments Track, but I'm an adult and will reply, in kind, any way I feel like it.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 2279
Posted From: 63.84.207.67
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IloveDetroit:

All I am asking if that one is to be outaged by the actions of one candidate, I'd like to see them MORE outraged by MORE egregious actions by other candidates.

This isn't about Quinn picking on "my" candidate, becasue I don't have one. This is about pointing out the hypocrisy and annoying crap that bullshit partisan trolls are throwing out here. If you call foul on one candidate, lets see you call foul when the other candidate does a similar thing. Does McPhail or Kilpatrick use their car to go to reelection events? They shouldn't be by Quinns standards. I'll save you the head ache. They are. Where is Quinns outrage on that?

I voted for McPhail and I have a right to be outraged that she was skipping Council meetings to attend to Ecorse business. That is not what I hired her to do. And yes, with my vote I helped hire her. I have a right to be outraged that after she was admonished by the State Bar she STILL continued to fight the whole thing and to waste City resources.

And yes, Brian and Quinn should be allowed to discuss issues, but they are not "discussing" any issues. They clearly are partisan hacks using this forum to sling mud and exagerated lies at candidates while shrilly defending their own candidate like punk-ass Rush Limbaughs. And you think those two are getting rough treatment? HAH. They are being mollycoddled next to likes of CraigD.

Also note, I gave he and Brian the choice to drop the partisan bullshit or to take the posting somewhere else. Its up to them. Take the crying act somewhere else.

Quinn:
Maybe Hood Research is hiring? Do you know anyone there who could help me find a new job?

Quinn

Post Number: 50
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker you are a funny guy. This really is entertaining.

I am a passionate, emotional person who posts, sometimes, before thinking. You probably have done this? Are you human? Skulker, if you don't like what I have to say, ignore it. Don't tell me to go somewhere else. You don't own my space on this forum.

Having said that, why are you lumping Brian with me? What has Brian said here that is mud slinging? Seems to me his arguments are valid, even if they do slant in my favor!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 89
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anyone else has not realized this yet - mayor election 2005 is going to be a VERY passionate one! We all love this city and we all want change. Several others on here, including myself, feel that McPhail is the only candidate who can do it! And others feel that Freman is the only candidate who can - and there are even a others who think Kwame might still pull it off. Anyway we are in for a bumpy ride this year!

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4039
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I think the consensus is that Sharon will win. The discussion seems to be whether or not she's the right choice.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 6088
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wayne County officials said that any money McPhail raised in 2004 should have been reported by Jan. 31.

McPhail said she thought she had until July to file her mayoral campaign-finance report.

Yeah, this is the type of leadership we need. There are some fairly new faces along with Brian that are simply slinging mud at the other canidates. I'm guessing many of which may even work for McPhail. She has to pull out all the stops to prevent yet another "L" stamped on her forehead I suppose.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1522
Posted From: 12.75.20.159
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, if you think I came down harder on you than on Skulker, you're right. Over the years he's earned a bit of latitude that you haven't. You appeared here recently and in virtually all your posts you're pumping a specific candidate. I've learned a lot from reading Skulker's posts over the years. I'd like to say the same about yours someday.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 989
Posted From: 64.241.37.140
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did I miss something? Is there an election this year or something? LOL

I find this all fair game. Thanks Track for being the cop and putting things in perspective. Hendrix has dropped the ball big time on this one. The guy has raised a paltry $157K and he's leasing a caddy?

I really think this campaign is wide open for a no-nonsense populist. You know the one who rides buses and bikes, the one who says I know there is no moneny and I am getting used to it. I'm going to set the example and learn about how screwed up our mass transit is first hand in the process. I am going to cut the mayor's salary and budget before I cut anything else. When I swing the ax everyone will see that all my trees are chopped down.

Will a real candidate please step up? It is yours for the taking IMO.

And to Quinn, since you PAID FOR IT, I assume you also paid image rights to the photographers who took the pictures of that caddy and of Freeman too. Right? :-)

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 199.178.193.5
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Campaign contributions paying for a car is fairly typical in campaigns such as Freeman's. He also has a good point about the other candidates. Let us also not forget that while campaigning, Kwame still has his security detail with him....making O.T.! Go figure........guaransheeing that his campaign isn't paying for any of it.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO - Lowell you are funny guy!

And I proudly wave the flag of pride for Mayor Sharon McPhail....I feel free and liberated! If I had a bra I would burn it!

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 991
Posted From: 64.241.37.140
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dont' burn yer fingers on that bra. McFail isn't showing us much yet either. I find her disappointing and uninspiring so far.

As I said above, I think this campaign is just wide open for a dark horse, ala Cavanaugh in '66, to swoop in and pick the the pieces. Right now all the majors are fumbling.

Oh, and don't mess with the skulker. With 2K+ posts and more solid information and insight provided than any other poster up in here he has miles of slack vs. newbie's short leash, just in case anyone gets the urge to play 'either he goes or I go'.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Monday, March 07, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell- I promise you McPhail is wowing them...you need to come to one of her events. I have brought some die hard Fremanites and they heard Sharon speak and nearly fell over with delightful shock! She is keeping it at the base level right now. Go the web site www.sharonandbenny.com

register to volunteer and you will get the email updates on her campaign.

PS - I know this is shameful advertising so I apologize to Bin and Metro up front - I gotta be nice to those guys so when Freman does not make it through the Primary they vote for my candidate!

Rustic

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, with all due respect, dark horse candidates aren't necesarily all they are cracked up to be (consider the dark horse novice KK elected over much more seasoned opponents in the last mayoral election). Of better yet, consider your example of Cavanaugh in '61 (not 66) who won with a large decisive black voting block supporting him ... and we all know what happened under his administration, for all the great press, the rainbows and butterflies in the first few years, fundamentally things just were not happening the way they should for Detroit's most politically powerful voting group and it all fell apart horribly in his second term ...

In fact, if ya think about it, one could draw some interesting comparisons between Cavanaugh and KK. Certainly KK is more hamhanded and surrounded by an aura of scandal and missteps compared to Cavanaugh, but both benefited from long term projects from earlier administrations reaching fruition early in their first terms. In addition both had a youthful charismatic vigor which played well in the national spotlight. Both came from a well-oiled political machine. One big difference is Cavanaugh had relatively teflon-coated terms as mayor, while the last three mayors CAY, DA and KK pretty much got blamed for just about everything (remember DA getting blamed for snowstorms, lol!).

Anyway enough history, back to Cadillacs!

Brian

Post Number: 2284
Posted From: 67.37.84.93
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All who speak with Sharon become her supporter. Can't say the same with other political candidates for mayor. Right now those who support Hendrix or Kwame know them and get other supporters based on friendship or loyalty (favors). Only Sharon and Benny convince folks they are best for the job. No advertising here, just go to a Sharon and Benny event and talk to them and you too will become a supporter.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 141.211.193.164
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that how Charles Manson got his supporters too?

Or those people in Waco? Of those people that drank the coolaid to meet the spaceship to take them to Utopia?

Oh, almost forgot on: Hitler! Most everybody that that hear him speak in Germany in the 20s became his supporter.

- Not sure I'm going to vote for, but reminding all that good orators aren't necessarily good leaders.

Brian

Post Number: 2285
Posted From: 67.37.84.93
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knew somebody like you would post a follow up. Interesting that you think Hitler was a great orator. That is not something that history records. Usually history has said that Hitlers hate and the shared hate from those who supporter him pushed him to political victory. That is why Bush was compared to Hitler not because Bush is a great speaker but because he expressed his hate to the nation in order to win support. Then again Hitlers speeches were recorded and played around the world. Yet the world did not become a Hitler supporter. As for the other folks you mentioned, no one accused them of being good speakers or orators. In fact no one accused them of being good at anything. Perhaps that is why they met the fate that they did. I don't see manson getting any new supporters yet I am sure he still speaks.

TO get past your supremacist statements,
Malcolm X, MLK Jr., Ghandi, and many other great persons in history did indeed get their supporters by talking to the people. Not by asking their friends to tell their friends to ask for a vote.

Lowell
Board Administrator

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 66.167.211.165
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rustic, my allusion to the the Cavanaugh dark horse campaign was not meant as an endorsment of his record. I am just saying the opportunity is present because all the others are coming off so lame right now. I was holding a distant hope that someone with a modicum of humility and leadership by example will appear or maybe one of these candidates would gain some of those characteristics.

Cavanaugh, for all his good intentions, brought the city income tax, one of the greatest detriments Detroit has vs. surrounding communities. He also did not have what it might have taken to prevent 1967 but I doubt if anyone could have. One person can't undo generations of injustice.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 2840
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"All who speak with Sharon become her supporter. "
That's not a sweeping generalization at all.

Jsmyers

Post Number: 433
Posted From: 141.211.193.164
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 3:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hitler was a great orator in person.

He was able to wip a huge crowd into a frenzy of support because he knew how to push their buttons. His strength as an orator was his use of hate and pride (interesting parallels in this situation IMHO...). Foreigners didn't generally support him after hearing speeches because:

1. The were not German, so the pride and hate buttons didn't work the same way.
2. It was not in person, which is (IMO) half of being a great orator.

The other kooks I mention might not have been great orators in large groups but gained supporters in this way: "talk to them and you too will become a supporter." (Your words.)

"In fact no one accused them of being good at anything." True except for those who met them and decided to follow.

Remember my words:

"good orators aren't necessarily good leaders."

I'm not saying that your candidates are not good leaders. I may very well vote for them and support them. I'm saying that they are not good leaders solely because everybody that listens to them talk agrees with them.

As for me being in any way a supremacist, I consider MLK Jr. and Ghandi, along with Jesus Christ, Albert Einstein, and perhaps Ben Franklin, to be my major role models. With the exception of my man Benjamin, I also consider all of them to be the most perfect people to ever walk the earth.

I am not a supremacist because I occasionally publicly disagree with a few black men and women. I can't be certain, but I'm confident that I've done more in my life to improve race relations and support progressive politics to undo past wrongs than you have. In addition, I have close friends of all backgrounds; though I believe color-blind is a non sequitur, I do not think of people in terms of there ethnicity or skin color. I do however, try to understand how their backgrounds influence who they are and empathize with the way rest of the world sees them.

It seems to me that you (as well as some others who frequently post here) write people off as being insignificant and un-useful to you because of their backgrounds. Why it might feel empowering, it does little to make the world a better place for anybody as Ghandi and King worked hard and sacrificed to do.

In my opinion, it does stink of fascism to use pride and hate to divide people and build up a position. Ghandi and MLK knew this, and Malcolm X arrived at the same conclusion with maturity of age and experience.

Rantings about Sambos and supremacists sound more to me like Hitler screaming about Jews and Poles than MLK reminding us that we have not learned the simple art of living together.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1093
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, once again please (factually) back up your claims.

"He can afford UofM tuition for his son and can afford to finance his daughters living expenses in Spain. That is not an indication that he suffers while being unemployed."

How do you know that his son did not take out loans to finance his own education? How do you know that his daughter did not pay for her own living expenses abroad? How do you know that Mrs. Hendrix did not pay for her children's expenses?

"Also what car did he drive to work each day when he was working in the private sector? Did his wife also drive him to work?"

How do you know that he did not have a company car? How do you know that he did not have a leased vehicle at that time? How do you know that he did not have a vehicle that he has since sold?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 4:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This would have been an issue either way to Hendrix critics. If he were to have rented a less presitgious car, critics would have claimed that he is having "financial problems" or that "he wasn't projecting a professional image".

"It speaks to...intelligence I think. When you are running for a prominent public office, in a very devisive race where everything you do will be picked apart and inspected..."

--Quinn, do you likewise feel the same about McPhail's association with the "Sambo Awards" fiasco? What about McPhail's failure to file campaign finance reports?

--Likewise "Ilovedetroit", what about your stance that, "perception is everything"? Does it apply here as well?

"And grow up! If people want to bring an issue you up on this Forum let them! If someone throws something out here about McPhail I would defend your right to do so ...I may not like it but it is part of being an adult!"

"Ilovedetroit" does this "adulthood" that you speak of also refer to your own name-calling, false accusations, inaccurate descriptions, etc of Hendrix? What about your "new forumer" act? Is that also adult behavior?

"I have brought some die hard Fremanites and they heard Sharon speak and nearly fell over with delightful shock!"

--"Ilovedetroit", once again, given the gross inaccuracies of your descriptions of other events (as well as your posting of false accusations and name-calling of Hendrix), pardon me if I do not take your claim at face value.

"Swingline- If I offended you are I apologize"

--"Ilovedetroit" will that apology last longer than the 5 minutes of your last apology (before you returned to the very behavior that you were supposedly sorry about)?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1095
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh "Ilovedetroit" so rational posters are just suppose to shut up and sit around and smile like idiots while you (and other) McPhail supporters post disingenuous as well as dishonest accusations about Hendrix? (Brian this applies to you as well.)

Leasing a vehicle with campaign funds (private donations) for campaign use by the candidate is not at all the same as using taxpayer dollars to lease a vehicle for one's spouse, while already having access to a fleet of vehicles.

Quinn, how is campaigning for office considered working? Campaigning is an optional activity. Therefore, how can someone use his/her company vehicle for an (optional) activity not related to one's job? That type of unethical activity can lead to the very unemployment that you like to speak of.

Brian, does your stance on "extravagant purchases" also apply to McPhail's wedding to Snead? Would a lower key event have also "shown leadership on the financial front"?

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.40.13.185
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't that Cadillac made at the GM Cadillac plant here in Detroit? If so I think it's a shrewd political move to show support to the workers, unions and most importantly Detroiters that make that vehicle. It's also a good symbol of support to GM when the company is starting to show signs of struggling. Remember GM has invested billions of dollars into Detroit over the decades, including rehabilitating a massive Detroit landmark in the Renessiance Center and taking a point position on the Riverfront Conservancy.

Freman could have choosen a cheaper car, but not one that is made in Detroit. This would be a mistake if it was a BMW, but it's not. It's one of the few cars that is still made in Detroit. Plus, since when do politicians have to take a vow of poverty?

If Freman's only mistake is driving a Detroit car, I'd take that over scandals, like Navigate or fighting for the suburbs.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 260
Posted From: 68.249.245.157
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CTS is made outside of Lansing, in Delta Township.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1360
Posted From: 68.79.98.127
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we just get past this whole damn car thing and focus on the REAL issues. At this moment, I wish none of the above was on the ballot, because I don't see a whole lot of leadership by any of the announced candidates to get this City past some difficult times.

Quinn

Post Number: 54
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams I agree. In retrospect, this issue should, of course, not decide the outcome of the election.

There seems to be alot of resentment for Sharon and Kwame and many instances gossip/rumor (some true some false) regarding these two. It seems to me like many people are ready and willing to jump on THEM for any old story.

There are a few ugly stories about Hendrix (one being the school board and yelling at old ladies), but for the most part, Hendrix supporters seem to think he's a messiah...a wonderful, idolistic vision of what an honest, trustworthy politician should be.

This story cuts deep into that theory...I guess my question is, without that going for him, what's left?

Someone said earlier that he is an emty suit. That resonates with me.

Brian

Post Number: 2287
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks stayed on the Navigator story for a few weeks and even discussed the news coverage on this forum. But no one wants to speak to this issue or some want it covered up.

MD says that Helmut has to look prestigous and that a cheaper car would have made him look broke. Sounds like when Lonnie Bates said that he needs to spend tax dollars to show Detroit kids how they 'could' be living.

I think some of the less expensive cars, which the majority of Detroiters drive, look just fine. For half the price of a cadilac you can get a great looking vehicle. The older Ford Explorers used to cost half as much as cadilacs and they were the number one truck in the country. Lets not forget the Taurus or the Escort. Those are the cars that regular people drive. It would be nice if most people could afford a cadilac but reality has then driving something cheaper.

(Jsmyers, since he died before you were born I don't your statement stands. But I could be mistaken, you could have met Hitler.)

MD, Helmut said he was paying for his daughters expenses at his Northwest Detroit town Hall. He made a joke about it. Helmut brought up his wife's car. Helmut raised the issue and as usual you would have folks stop asking Helmut questions about things Helmut said. Just show the tape from the Town Hall mtg. Helmut didn't have to mention his wife's car. Helmut used to drive a city car. (Just like Kilpatrick.) MD is suggesting that perhaps Helmut had a company car while employed in the private sector? Will Helmut have financial management skills to cut costs or will he rely on other folks money to finance his lifestyle?

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J: No, we should have at least another 30 days of this car stuff. Maybe we can get in the Wall Street Journal if we keep it up. Good image stuff for Detroit.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 67.101.190.144
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just love seeing the Freman folks on the defensive for once. As Lowell said above - dumb to spend money on a cadillac when you don't have that much money in the war chest. Perception is might big! And the perception that he gives off by having the new cadillac is not a good one. IF McPhail or Kwame had done something similar the Freman folk would be ALL over it! Just realize it folks he is not as perfect as you thought!

Rustic

Post Number: 1292
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, I understand the point you are making and it sorta makes sense, however the best DET mayor of most Detroit voters lifetimes was the brash, agressive, yet still politically pragmatic CAY in his first two terms. I'll bet if given a choice Detroiters would choose a mayor with these traits over a ballotfull of young, fresh, well-connected Cavanaugh-Kilpatricks or smooth, polished Archer-Gribbs.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 68.40.13.185
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The story doesn't say it's a CTS. It doesn't say what kind of Cadillac it is at all. I agree with Jams, this is a non-issue. However, McPhail fighting for the greater good of the suburbs, now that's an issue.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 2841
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big shining difference between the Navigator issue and this issue:
The Navigator was bought on city money at an extremely disadvantageous price for questionable circumstances.
End of story. This is a non-issue.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 69.39.80.144
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In relation to the question above re: what Detroiters want in a mayor. I have attended several (maybe 8) McPhail events and 3 Freman events over the last few months. And the resounding thing I hear from Detroiters (including myself) with reagrds to the type of mayor we want is someone who is "going to take charge" and fix this mess we are in.

Alot of folks like to say "Archer was great"...I don't think he was ALL that great. He did not fix the tax issue we have, he did not help repopulate the city, crime was improved but fell apart under Kwame. Archer let the city workers go from the city (yes I know more than this - but he sure did not fight it), let the schools be taken over. Sure he made the downtown look better for suburbanites to come see us againg. BUT he did nothing for me in my neighborhood and with my taxes. WE want someone who will fix these things. Someone who is not affraid to stand up to the State of MI and to stand up to all those special interest groups in the suburbs. That is what we want. Bottomline I want a CEO who not a whimp and will fight for me as a citizen of Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sure he made the downtown look better for suburbanites to come see us againg. "

ILoveDetroit: I disagree with this. Alot of the existing class-a office space was built or being built in Coleman's term. Archer pushed through the demolition of Hudsons for no reason (there were 2 developers ready to move) just to please compuware. He made the city grab it's ankles in order to get that building...and many would argue it's ugly. I think we could have both buildings (compuware AND hundsons if Archer admin wasn't so willing to bend over).

I have this horrible fear that if Freman wins we're going to have 30 au bon pain - type, cinderblock buildings where the Statler Hilton and many other buildings are. Someone like Freman, and may people in the suburbs, would see that as a success for the city. It's like a nightmare scenario.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1366
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It seems to me that Hendrix did exactly what the other candidates did with their campaign vehicles. Like Lowell said, its just unfortunate to see him waste an opportunity to show that he's different. It was a wasted opportunity and a huge disappointment, but not a scandal.

The Navigator could have been a low key story as well had Kwame come forward with the truth in the first place. Instead, he chose to repeatedly lie, mislead, and physically and verbally assault the reporters. Difference is that Hendrix is the least violent in the pack while Kwame has shown he's nothing but a street punk.

Quinn

Post Number: 61
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the perception that Freman is the least violent is not entirely correct. After all they are both woven from the same cloth...Wayne County. Freman even still owns property with Kilpatrick Sr. "Those ties that bind..."

Amelia

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope somebody has one more award left for the hearing impaired bobblehead with no point.

Quinn

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah I do so love your posts Amelia. I'm graced by the presence of your genious...we all are. Thank you for living.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1098
Posted From: 205.188.116.195
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", Quinn, Brian, etc...continuing to make false accusations about Hendrix while ignoring facts that counter your claims doesn't suddenly make your statements true. Ignoring questions raised about your claims doesn't make those questions go away. Likewise, ignoring questions about your candidate doesn't make those questions go away.

"MD says that Helmut has to look prestigous and that a cheaper car would have made him look broke."

--Brian, you're being dishonest again. I said no such thing. I said that MCPHAIL SUPPORTERS would have made such comments had Hendrix chosen a less expensive vehicle. Again, given your false statements about Hendrix's past comments (and now my own), pardon me if I do not take your most recent claim at face value.

--Second, again you are commenting on certain cars being "less expensive" than what Hendrix paid WITHOUT knowing what he paid. How is that possible?

"IF McPhail or Kwame had done something similar the Freman folk would be ALL over it!"

--"Ilovedetroit", speaking for myself, if any other candidate leased a car with TAXPAYER money, then yes I would have been all over it. However, if it was done with CAMPAIGN DONATIONS, then I could care less.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Tuesday, March 08, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Metro it must be a pretty pretty fairlyland that you live in called DENIALBURBIA. I am sure that you think Freman's poo smells like roses. Face it - he messed up! He leased a glamorous car, that is not the kind of car he should be driving when trying to prove that he is the man who will put this city right by cutting cost and corruption! After listening to him speak about setting an example for young people by leading he has disappointed everyone by being extravagant with other people's money i.e., campaign contributions.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1100
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again "Ilovedetroit", you haven't answered any questions nor points that discounted your false accusations, only changing the subject to talk about "poo" and "fairyland". What happend to your grand sentiments about acting like an adult? Did that stance end up on the garbage heap along with your "apologies" for being negative and claims of being an impartial, rational observer turned McPhail supporter that suddenly found Detroityes out of the blue?

Brian

Post Number: 2290
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, will you now try to suggest that Hendrix paid less for his caddy than it would cost to lease a Ford Focus or GM Aveo? You like to imply things without making statements and then deny your own spin. I don't mind your tactics but they are hurting your candidate. His lack of candor and disclosure and his long winded non-explanations are losing him supporters.

Hendrix used money that did not belong to him to lease a car. Hendrix could have gotten rides from those who are supporting him and who accompany him to his events. Hendrix has not traveled alone since declaring himself a candidate. Does he party in his car between gigs? Does he ever drive his wife in his campaign financed car?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And guess who I saw today driving around in his caddy - speeding along 696 - after all the news today this was diving to see him! I guess he was still fuming from his interview where he showed his TRUE angry side today. Anyone who might have been thinking about Freman today probably totally changed their mind after he blew up and got angry on Mildred. I just heard the full recording (thanks Mel for recording it)... McPhail made sense and remained calm the entire time requesting that Mildred get a hold of the show. Of course Mildred let Freman rant and rave...until he either hung up or got cut off.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2758
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD ... methinks it's typical of him, his campaign and those folk in it!! Nothing new there, if you remember the school board meetings .... it's only deja vu!! Ask him how much they had to pay Marie Thornton???? Then; Go figure .....

Black-atcha .....

Jsmyers

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 141.211.251.152
Posted on Wednesday, March 09, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have anybody seen the cartoon "This Modern World?"

It is in the front of every MetroTimes.

(http://www.thismodernworld.com /)

All of these people that have shown up in the last few months to talk politics are starting to remind me of the characters Tom Tomorrow uses for satire in his cartoon.

I don't know whether to laugh at them or cry for them.

Quinn

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow what a surprise. A mayoral election is coming up and alot of people sign up to talk politics. Genius Jsmyers...genius.

I'm a Sharon supporter and to be honest...didn't hear about DetroitYes until other political junkies (many who support other candidates but are still good friends) told me about it. So sue me...politics brought me here. Since then i've found it to be a wonderful place for discusion about politics, urban revitalization / preservation, tax problems, etc.

I guess you are politically neutral? Is that why you're reading the "Campaign pays for hendrix cadillac" thread?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 118
Posted on Thursday, March 10, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait for all the Freman crap to come out ... the fancy car is just the first of it! This guy has more dirty laundry than a football lockeroom. Once all the doey eyed people on here realize that he is the oil that helps run the McNamara Machine which has been keeping this city down they will run in droves to the only really honest politician running for mayor - Sharon McPhail. Coleman leaves and McNamara steps up to the plate with Kwame and Freman and all the rest of fools that are lining their pockets!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1107
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure you did "Ilovedetroit". Just like you saw 25% then 60% Black people at Hendrix's formal announcement. And just like that claim went from Blacks to suburbanites, then Black suburbanites. And just like you "found" this website as an objective, impartial observer turned McPhail supporter within a few posts that were literally within a few minutes of each other.

Pretty amazing that you could stare at someone while both cars would be doing 70mph. It would be really funny if somehow Hendrix's whereabouts were posted showing him nowhere near 696. So how were you able to stare into all those cars without hitting them or the wall?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, you like to make false claim after false claim, so go ahead and give everyone the exact numbers on all that is Hendrix. Also tell everyone about how leases work. Rebates, dealer incentives, credit/financing, various A/B/Z/etc plans, the whole nine yards. Do tell.

Also, "explain" how contributions to the Hendrix campaign "don't belong to him"?

Brian

Post Number: 2323
Posted From: 67.37.83.110
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, Contributions to the Freman Hendrix for Mayor Committee do not belong to Freman they belong to the committee. The Treasurer is responsible for signing all checks, filing all paperwork and other items that are tied to the money. All per state law.

MD, the money is not Hendrix' piggy bank. He can't spend it on himself to have a good time.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 69.212.230.155
Posted on Friday, March 11, 2005 - 4:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leasing a Cadillac is not the same as buying a Cadillac. A candidate running for mayor has campaign events to go to and speeches to make on the way to those campaign events, they don't have time to drive themselves. A candidate running for mayor has assistants and security, they need a car with a lot of room. A small car won't do the trick. A candidate running for mayor solicits campaign contributions from their supporters not the tax payer. If the supporters don't like how the candidate is spending their money, then they should complain to the candidate or vote for someone else.

Amelia

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 4.229.114.133
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

R: "a CANDIDATE running for MAYOR has assistants and security, they need a car with a lot of room. A small car won't do the trick." This is just another bullet in the butt for the Hendrix campaign. Open the door, let us stampede in!

Brian

Post Number: 2340
Posted From: 67.37.83.178
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix leased a cadilac, Kwame leased a navigator.

Amelia

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 4.229.48.31
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian: Yeah, and sharon is just leasing "space".

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 632
Posted From: 69.212.230.155
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia, what is your point? How should candidates running for mayor get around?

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2139
Posted From: 12.75.52.105
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Paul Newman in that movie. . . about running for office. . . in California. . . governor father. . . unions. . . envirnoment. . . good movie.

Oh, hell, just write in Loe Schimmel's name on the ballot, plunk one city council member and be done with it.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 737
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brain, when you reviewed the lease for the caddie, whose name was on the document? Did Freman lease the car or did his campaign commitee? We've all seen the papers for KK's car - the City leases them. We've not seen Sharon's city-provided car's papers, but rest assured that her transportation is being paid for by her constituents, the Detroit taxpayers.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1367
Posted From: 68.251.227.30
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is twice now, I've addressed this thread.

Who the Hell really cares how any of the candidates got their DAMN car. If this is the deciding factor in this campaign we deserve what we get.

Again, can we get over this crap and deal with real issues?

Brian

Post Number: 2345
Posted From: 67.37.84.142
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be an issue if the entire CC, all of KK's directors, managers and supervisors as well as KK's staff didn't get a city car. McPhail has said that while there is a deficit, the city is not going bankrupt and drastic measures are not needed. KK has said that the could go into receivership if the CC does not do what he wants. Hendrix has said the same thing as KK that the city is headed into receivership and that drastic measures are needed. Why then do both KK and Freman not follow their own financial advice. They both spend alot of money yet have said they will force Detroiters to make steep cuts next year. Freman's cadilac is just a symptom of his problems.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 6161
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian has no real issues with Freman aside from his car.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1109
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, McPhail said she would cut 6,000 city workers. That would qualify as a drastic measure. Later, she said that she did not make such a comment. Changing her story is just a symptom of her problems.

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 12.75.30.99
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He should buy an Escort? Hahaha. Shit, if Hendrix bought a used bicycle with his campaign funds you'd all still be pissed. He could be riding the bus with Supersport and you'd still be accusing him of being a spendthrift, while trying to spin this to be the same as Kilpatrick's Navigator faux pas. This kind of circular reasoning, devoid of any logic or common sense, has become the norm on this forum.

Brian

Post Number: 2349
Posted From: 67.37.84.142
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News has something on common with Hendrix. Neither of them will produce tapes to prove their positions on what they said. Both groups say things in public and when challenged refuse to offer proof of their claims.

Hendrix won't release tapes of his town halls because the people did not support him.

The Detroit news won't release the tape or transcript of their interview. They have called Sharon a liar, if they produced the tape and it proved their version correct, the issue would be ended and it would probably end Sharon's mayoral run. I say produce the tape so all can see who is telling the truth.

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 12.75.53.29
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who challenged the News to produce tapes or transcripts besides you, Brian?

Yeh, I thought so.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1111
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...say(s) things in public and when challenged refuse to offer proof of their claims".

Brian you just described yourself.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 738
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Brian (McFail's self-appointed mouthpiece): "McPhail has said that while there is a deficit, the city is not going bankrupt and drastic measures are not needed."

So from what planet is she phoning that in? She doesn't think a cumulative 2003-2005 deficit of over $150 million is serious? And the anticipated deficit for '05-06 of $231 million is also okay by her? No wonder she considers the sambo awards just another Saturday night. This kond of poor judgement and lack of perspective is a hallmark of her tenure on CC and bodes poorly for her run for the mayoral spot.

Brian

Post Number: 2352
Posted From: 68.73.32.178
Posted on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Hendrix planning Kilpatricks move of creating fear and doubt in the minds of voters in order to get elected?

The city's budget is over $3.5 Billion for one year.

BD, from your numbers the deficts you named are 4% and 6% respectively. (An anticipated deficit is only a deficit if you stick to the aticipated spending plan. A plan that is full of waste and corruption. Sort like the Archer administration.) Archer was supposed to be doing a great job, he claimed $17 billion in investment during his terms, yet he left the city in deficit and never had a vision for the long term.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 740
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wrong Brian. (Why am I not surprised?) The City's budget, for deficit calculation purposes (as opposed to your purposes - obfuscation and disingenuity) is $1.6 billion. CC has been holding deficit reduction hearings for weeks. Too bad Sharon couldn't attend, otherwise she would know what the rest of CC, all those in attendance at the 2-day deficit summit, the media, state government, Kwame's mommy, and pretty much the rest of the friggin known world knows - Detroit is in deep doo doo.

Would a 4 or 6% shortfall prompt McFail to announce her intention to layoff 1/3 of the city's workforce within 12 months of her getting hold of the reins to the City? Simply, no. She either knows how bad it is and is merely lying to Brian and his ilk to pander to her paranoia or she is as crazy as she oftens seems.

Brian

Post Number: 2361
Posted From: 68.73.32.206
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, included in the defict are budgets for DDOT and DPL and other departments. The budget for the city can be divided into two sections, revenue generating and non-revenue generating services. Both sides of the budget are posting potential deficits so the entire budget must be used for a true comparison. Otherwise the deficit is not as large as you will claim that it is.

Is this Helmut's plan to twist the truth in order to scare Detroiters? Even Kilpatrick is not trying to twist the truth that badly.

AS for the CC, the budget offered last year was balanced and did not have any layoffs. But it was vetoed by the mayor and there was not enough votes on the CC (you need 6) to over ride the veto. Helmut might want to ignore the actions of the CC last year but the CC created a budget which would have avoided all these problems.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 743
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian Says (BS) Alert!

The above, posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005, at 10:35 am, is so full of shit and untruth that it is impossible to refute it piecemeal or address it one lie at a time. It exhibits such a fundamental misunderstanding of City government and municipal finance that to save the poster further embarassment I suggest that we not refer to him by name in connection with this nor even mention this post again.

Brian

Post Number: 2363
Posted From: 68.73.32.206
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that why Helmut has not specifics in his plans? Does Helmut look to speculate instead of offering actual numbers that can be disected and examined? IS Helmut afraid that because the budget can be examined folks will discover he is creating a environment fear to persuade voters?

BD, I do not engage in the name calling as you and other Helmut supporters have done. All you have to do is post the budget numbers to show where the deficits originate. Then you can show how only half of the budget is in deficit as you claim.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Over the past several years, Benny and I have become concerned that Detroit - once the nation’s “Renaissance City” - has now become known for rampant crime, outrageous deficits, a poor education system, high taxes and a lack of city services."

"Outrageous deficits"? Isd she talkng about her own deficit of new ideas? Or is she, perhaps, refering to, yes maybe so, the City's own financial problems? Brian, call McFail and ask her to explain to you how she can cite "outrageous deficits" yet say "that while there is a deficit, the city is not going bankrupt and drastic measures are not needed." And where exactly did she say the latter Brian? Somewhere between "6000 layoffs within minutes of my taking office" and "the biggest sambo is..."?

Brian

Post Number: 2374
Posted From: 67.37.83.193
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You seek to understand the written language BD. It is outrageous to have Archer and now Kilpatrick ignor CC budgets and create their own deficits for the city. Its Outrageous that the city would have a deficit where it was never necessary due to expenses created by Archer/Helmut and Kilpatrick to serve their own political interests. Its outrageous that neither of those mayors could do anything about taxes in their years in office except to give corporations a tax break. Its outrageous that after Benny left crime began to rise and none of the chiefs under either mayor could continue Benny's programs which would have furthered lowered crime.

Its very outrageous that the Reform Board headed by Hendrix under a takeover supported by Archer and Hendrix has created a massive problem for DPS and is forcing thousands of students to leave the school system.

But in your own quote is says that Detroit has become known for these things. That is regardless if they are true. The perception of this is sold on the news every night. Not to mention out of the mouth of Helmut each chance he gets. Helmut makes Detroit sound so bad folks are asking him why he still lives here and whats in it for him.

Now you seek to use the term Sambo when you criticized it in earlier posts. If the Detroit News does endorse Helmut will they then ask him to layoff 6,000 people within minutes of taking office.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 746
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian misconstrued: "But in your own quote is says that Detroit has become known for these things. That is regardless if they are true. The perception of this is sold on the news every night. Not to mention out of the mouth of Helmut each chance he gets. Helmut makes Detroit sound so bad folks are asking him why he still lives here and whats in it for him."

Actually Brian, the quote at the beginnig of my post, the one that appears to have sdet you off, is from McFail's website. Verbatim.

Then Brian delusionally misrepresents: "Now you seek to use the term Sambo when you criticized it in earlier posts."
Where did I criticize any such thing? While I think McFail's participation in this racist and divisional event was a travesty and political suicide, I expected no less from her. (Even Joann Watson kept her mouth shut with an all-too-rare "No comment.")

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1129
Posted From: 205.188.117.68
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, it is outrageous that you continue to try to link a private citizen (Hendrix) with the current administration when McPhail is the one who has political power with Kilpatrick right now. It is very outrageous that you link Hendrix with current DPS problems without any mention of McPhail's connection (her husband) to DPS. It's outrageous that your "six degrees of separation" only works one way.

Brian

Post Number: 2375
Posted From: 67.37.83.193
Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You seek to understand the written language BD. Helmut seeks to use the perception of Detroit without educating people on the reality of Detroit. For Helmut a negative perception of Detroit is his campaign tactic. Is this a reason why Mildred Gaddis constantly bad mouths the city?

MD, you are posting the topic to the wrong thread. The other thread has information about Freman's lie. Are you trying to avoid it? But you can bring up Dr. Sneads tenure at DPS. He left DPS with a surplus. Before Helmut took over the board the DPS has a surplus. As a board member and its president Helmut's responsibility was to ensure that the district was being run correctly and serve as a watchdog over the finances. He failed as he allowed the district to slip into deficit. Just like he watched while Archer ran Detroit into a deficit.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 674
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HEY! I saw the cadillac again the other night. He drove it to the candidate's forum last week. You think he would be ashamed to be seen in that...after Metro's hard earned dollars went to pay for it.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1540
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok "Ilovedetroit", once again you lost everyone at "I saw".

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 678
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh....did you expect him to ride his campaign financed skateboard to a debate? Anyone who is not blind could see him pull up.