Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Hendrix's Anti-Crime Ideas for Detroit » Hendrix's Anti-Crime Ideas for Detroit - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 6:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Calls for Rebuilding Partnership Between Residents and Police

Standing in front of a closed police mini-station, Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix today released his anti-crime plan for the city that calls for expanding the role of citizens in assisting police.

Hendrix, the city's Deputy Mayor under Dennis Archer, called for “rebuilding a strong partnership between police and citizens so they can work together effectively in the fight against crime.”

His plan includes:

Reopening closed police mini-stations to help fight crime in the neighborhoods.
Establishing and expanding citizen CB patrols, and using technology to create a citywide link.
Promoting the 311 number as a 24 hour-a-day hotline for reporting suspicious activity to police.
Encouraging neighborhood associations to register local children for the National Missing Kids Network and establish neighborhood Amber Alert systems.

The Hendrix plan also calls for reinstating to full strength the Detroit Police Department's Narcotics Unit and Gang Squad, which have been scaled back significantly under the Kilpatrick Administration. He said the restored drug and gang units should form rapid response teams to repeatedly raid -- and shut down -- neighborhood drug houses.

Hendrix said that taking these steps would cost little money, but would enable Detroit residents to serve as the “eyes and ears” of Detroit police.

To fund the reopening of closed mini-stations, Hendrix suggested reducing the mayor's oversized security detail, cracking down on travel expenses by top city officials and returning the infamous, leased Navigator the police can no longer use for undercover work.

These and other crime-fighting ideas are contained in a chapter of Hendrix's “Road Map for Detroit 's Future,” which is posted on his campaign website at www.fremanhendrix.com . The Road Map is based on conversations he's held during the past year with thousands of Detroiters in neighborhoods across the city.

Hendrix said that he will be releasing additional chapters of his Road Map during the course of his campaign, and welcomed all Detroiters to comment and offer their own suggestions.

“The next mayor must welcome the people of Detroit back into their government, instead of using that office to reward family and friends,” he said.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1322
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayoral candidate: Trim Kilpatrick's security to reopen police stations

February 25, 2005

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/mayor25e_20050225.htm

BY M.L. ELRICK
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix suggested Thursday that shrinking Kwame Kilpatrick's security team could help cover the cost of reopening the city's police mini-stations.

Standing in front of a shuttered mini-station at the Grandland Shopping Center on Detroit's west side, Hendrix said he would reopen the police outposts and expand CB patrols to help reduce crime in neighborhoods. He said Detroit's financial woes -- Kilpatrick says the city faces a potential $231-million shortfall in its 2005-06 budget -- make hiring additional police unlikely.

Mayoral spokesman Howard Hughey and police spokesman James Tate declined comment. Kilpatrick has said even though homicides increased last year, crime in general has decreased.

Detroit could find money to reopen the mini-stations by reducing the number of police protecting Kilpatrick and his family. The mayor's security team has 21 budgeted positions at a cost of $2.4 million.

The Free Press has reported that Kilpatrick has one of the largest mayoral security teams in the nation, although it is slightly smaller than the team that protected Mayor Dennis Archer and his wife.

Hendrix also suggested saving money by cutting the city's travel budget and returning the red 2005 Lincoln Navigator the city leased for Kilpatrick's wife, Carlita, which has since been reassigned to the Police Department.

In addition to Hendrix and Kilpatrick, City Councilwoman Sharon McPhail is also running.

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

freman is a joke. bring back mini-stations??!!

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2032
Posted From: 12.75.22.137
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if the mini-stations themselves would be all that effective, but the one in my immediate neighborhood did a lot of good across the board until it closed because the officer who "manned" it retired. She was there 25+ years and knew the neighborhood inside and out.

That notion of comunity policing seems to have ebbed as officers and command staff are moved from precinct to precinct and officers, generally speaking, don't stay with DPD for that long any more.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 934
Posted From: 129.105.104.205
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess 'mini-stations' could watch over a community far better than precincts. Maybe the criminals would think twice before they ransack a house in the area.

Amelia

Post Number: 92
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

criminals broke into mini-stations too. we have community relations officers in precincts who do a damn good job. they are connected to prosecutors office, narcotics, environmental, etc. and can better coordinate communication. mini-stations were never meant to do anything but give the "appearance" of police presence in the community. These street thugs will break into cars in precinct lots now. We don't need window and door decoys, we need real cops in the street.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with both Ltorivia485 & Jmy8. I think the mini stations help the neighborhoods better than the precincts. I would like to see them on foot patrol sometimes as well. (That probably won't happen)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 284
Posted From: 69.136.142.177
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We don't need window and door decoys, we need real cops in the street.

On this we agree, Amelia. It is, of course, a shame that the Kilpatrick administration has cut DPD staffing levels to lowest levels in decades.

Aglowe
Username: Aglowe

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 69.246.3.39
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO mini stations would be great. Any additional officers in the areas couldn't hurt.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Below are some segments that I saved from Benny Napoleon's speach (from news reports) about what he and McPhail will do to reduce crime in the city. I think this is MUCH more substantial than Freman's plan. Put REAL cops on the streets versus this mini station re-opening. The FREEP stated it is being paid for by confiscatiing Carlita's car and reducing the mayors secruity force...no real meat there. The funny thing is the FREEP barely coverd the story (page 5 of Local News) and News did not even touch it. NPR had a minor bit on this morning with him stuttering. Below is Benny's speach with REAL meat and a goal of 50% reduction and someone who sounds serious. Freman can't even put his neck out with a stretch goal.

Excerpts from McPhail/Napoleon Announcement:

The men and women in the Detroit Police Department have done a miraculous job with the limited resources given to them. The time has come to decrease our tolerance for crime and create a climate of compliance within the City of Detroit. It is time to commit the resources to the Detroit Police Department that will reduce the City's crime rate and make the City of Detroit a model City for reducing crime. To that end, Sharon and I will present a template for urban safety that will reduce the violent crime rate in the City by 50 percent by the end of our first term. Some of you may believe that this is a hefty pledge, but Sharon and I see it as a goal that we know we can meet. You'll get those results when you elect the power of 2! Utilizing proven crime prevention techniques, community policing and directed enforcement practices, we will make Detroit the safest big City in America! Murderers, robbers, burglars and car thieves beware! Gang bangers and drug dealers, you are on notice! Effective January 1, 2006, there will be no business as usual. We are going to institute the most aggressive narcotics enforcement effort ever implemented in any City in this nation. We are declaring Detroit a safe City and a dry town. There will be no drug dealing in our neighborhoods! Providing a quality education for our children must become an imperative for Detroit. Our children deserve a chance to compete in an increasingly competitive global job market. We have overcome greater difficulties to educate our children. We were able to educate our children on the dirt floors of North and South Carolina. We educated our children by candlelight in the darkness of Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. We educated our children with tattered and torn books in Tennessee and Kentucky.
We can, we must and we will educate our children in the classrooms in Detroit. That education will begin with the new fully elected and fully empowered Detroit School Board! Reducing crime and educating our children will be the first steps in rebuilding and repopulating Detroit. They are the baseline efforts necessary to restore confidence in Detroit. Abandoned buildings must be torn down or fixed up, and in a hurry. Vacant land must be inventoried and sold. The City of Detroit cannot be the biggest landowner in the City! This land must be put in the hands of developers who will build affordable housing and neighborhood strip malls for small businesses. We must welcome all of Michigan to Detroit. To those who left, we say come on home. From Marquette to Monroe, come on home! From Grand Rapids to Port Huron, come on home! We welcome you back to the City you knew and loved. A safe City. A vibrant City. A beautiful City. A friendly City. A City that is open for business. We built the great pyramids. We can certainly rebuild Detroit. Thank you, and God bless you all.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 12.151.72.1
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hendrix, the city's Deputy Mayor under Dennis Archer, called for “rebuilding a strong partnership between police and citizens so they can work together effectively in the fight against crime.”

We fully support this idea.

Signed,

Sgt. Carey Mahoney
Sgt. Moses Hightower
Sgt. Larvell Jones
Sgt. Eugene Tackleberry
Commandant Eric Lassard

Successful Citizens on Patrol Program

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the mini-stations is an idea i like. The D's best neighborhoods are the ones where there are strong neighborhood associations and strong cooperation between the residents and the cops. I live in the U of D-M area, and we've got a strong neighborhood assocation with a good connection with the DPD station near 7 Mile and Woodward. Mini stations help keep lines of communication open between the police and residents, which is always a good thing. Makes people feel involved with their own neighborhood's condition, makes them feel empowered, and isn't as expensive as hiring more police.

That's not to say we couldn't use some more officers on the steet, though....

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 68.40.13.185
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Napeleon/McPhail announcement was mosly fluff. It had the right sentiment, but there wasn't any substanance. There are no specific plans just we'll be more aggressive and put the criminals on notice. Wow, I'm sure they have the crooks and creeps shaking in their boots now. There was no specific plan aside from tearing down abandoned buildings and selling property, which was still pretty general. Take Napeleon and McPhail's name off the top and it could be a Kwame speech.

Like him or not, Freman has ideas. He has specific plans on how to make the city better for everyone. All of the other candidates just sound like they're going to continue to conduct business as usual.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail/Napoleon do have real plans. I am not saying the mini station is bad idea...but it is certainly not a strong statment like Napoleon's... "Murderers, robbers, burglars and car thieves beware! Gang bangers and drug dealers, you are on notice! Effective January 1, 2006, there will be no business as usual. We are going to institute the most aggressive narcotics enforcement effort ever implemented in any City in this nation. We are declaring Detroit a safe City and a dry town. There will be no drug dealing in our neighborhoods".... AND reduce violent crime by 50% in their first term. THAT Is a real statement to hold someone to...not just some pie in the sky philosophical statement that Freman is so fond of. Also McPhail/Napoleon release a look at their overall plan for Detroit recently...see below. And for the four officers above...I bet Napoleon could get 2000 signatures to support his plan.

http://www.sharonandbenny.com/ ourplan/ourplanfordetroit_over view.htm

Bindetroit

Post Number: 707
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of being repetitious, I say again, ask four questions of each candidate. What are you going to do? When are you going to do it? How are you going to do it? How are you going to pay for it?

Using this framework as the basis for analysis, Freman Hendrix's plan for crime reduction is an acceptable pronouncement. You may not like the idea (like Amelia), but it has enough substance that you could intelligently critique it (unlike Amelia).

Shining that same harsh spotlight on the potential appointee's claims, there is his stated desire to reduce crime by 50% within 4 years. That's it. How? Tear down empty buildings and turn the vacant land over to private developers. The power of two: this "idea" is costly and ineffective. The other two crime-fighting ideas? Elect a school board and just say no to drugs dealers. As to the former, they need a reality check since the Mayor has no say in the school board elections or how the schools are run. As to the latter, the County's prosecutorial policies and/or the court's judicial policies (zero tolerance) are likewise outside the mayor's authority or control.

So what can we expect from Freman Hendrix? Exactly what he says he'll do.

And from Sharon McPhail? Laudable goals, but unattainable without concrete plans and the means to pay for them. She's right in the thick of it now, with a front row seat on the City's problems. But for all her insider's knowledge, all she offers is wishful thinking and empty promises. No thank you.

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit: What's Benny and Sharon gonna do? Talk the theives to death? "All right, we'll hit 8 Mile--just stop the slogans!"
This message was sponsored by the ABK For Mayor Commission.

Amelia

Post Number: 96
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bindetroit: So you think because I don't take up as much space as you and freman with verbosities, that I have not thought through my opinion and positions? You nor he have had one original thought since Kilpatrick took office. Keep up the attacks and see where freman goes and how.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 69.242.221.202
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love Benny. He tha man!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2232
Posted From: 63.69.106.5
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If ministations are important in the fight on crime, why did Archer close them when he was mayor? Why didn't Hendrix prevent their closure in the first place?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1292
Posted From: 68.250.3.197
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, the only thing is reopening mini-stations that you read in Hendrix's plan? There were a few words about narcotics and gang squads and re-establishing 311, I guess nothing that strikes your fancy.

Being relegated to the pro-Hendrix group because Brian can read my mind before I make my decision.

(Message edited by JamS on February 25, 2005)

Jmy8

Post Number: 2038
Posted From: 12.75.30.13
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The community relations officers in my neighborhood do a damn fine job at community realtions, but the former mini-station officer was out on the street and a visible presence every day.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 2824
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because, obviously, more police officers is a BAD thing...

Jams

Post Number: 1296
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,
Check the link, re: "the police officers."

Jams

Post Number: 1297
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far Sharon and Benny's website promises things to come. I'll be happy to see something more concrete.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1664
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Friday, February 25, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAYYYY!!!!!!!!

That's more like it. Hendrix's plan will get rid of Kwame's parties.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit: The link you provided just gave more generalities and huge promises. The only specific thing they said they would do was appoint a population czar to help bring people back to the city. They didn't say how that goal would be accomplished. They didn't offer a plan, only the germ of an idea. Basically they're talking a good game but they're not saying how they're going to play when they get on the field. I too can give an energy filled speech people want to hear and make even bigger promises, such as I'll eliminate crime in the city and double its population by the end of my second term. Does that make me more qualified to lead the city?

Freman knows what he wants to do and how he's going to do it. I like what he's saying and I respect the ideas he's bringing to the table. Even though he is a little on the verbose side, so far he's the only person to bring concrete and detailed plans on how to make Detroit a city that not only everyone can take pride in but will want to live in, too.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 4:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hemingway...Answer me honestly. Have you ever actually heard Sharon speak. I have heard both her and Freman speak (I did my due dilegence well on both candidates) - I have and I found McPhail to be the candidate that can be Kwame and the candidate with the best and the brightest ideas. Freman is a lot of talk...and he is a streak in him of anger that does not sit well with me. Have you heard her speak in person? And trust me a year ago I would have said no way on McPhail - but I have been converted.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also on the mini stations...nice thought and all but we need more cops on the beat and driving/walking through the neighborhoods versus sitting in a mini-police station

Jams

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,
It is not a matter of just listening to speeches, those usually are emotional and exciting especially for the converted.

For others of us, we prefer to see specifics on paper (or our computer screens) so we might examine them in the cold hard light of day exempt from emotion. It also allows us to hold them to an accountability to a greater degree than just spoken words which may be misconstrued much more easily.

As far as a streak of anger in any candidate, not necessarily a bad thing, many of us in this City have one as well. We deserve better than we receive.

(Message edited by Jams on February 26, 2005)

Jams

Post Number: 1299
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what I meant by reading the words not just listening. This comes from Sharon and Benny's website:

quote:

Each graduate would be required to have lived in the City of Detroit and attended High School in Detroit for a minimum of 8 years. Tuition grants would begin to be given in approximately 8 years, depending on fund growth

I added the bold to point out the error, high school is 4 years not 8 years, but according to the written word, you are entitled to this benefit only if you attended High School for 8 years.

That is why I want specifics in Black & White, not just listening in an emotionally charged atmosphere. The Devil is in the details.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 709
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That should help keep the program affordable.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1356
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember a past candidate with a campaign promise to tear down 5000 abandoned homes. That was a clear goal and it was on the exact same tract a McPhail's plan. Why didn't McPhail team up then for the power of two? What proposals did she recommend to help the Mayor keep his promise? What prevents her from doing the same thing Kwame did? Promise it, perform less than 1/4 of it, blame someone else, go on enjoying the position.

If fixing up buildings, rather than razing them, is such a priority to McPhail, why is getting building and safety to do something such a hassle? Why does the city allow landlord's to have ten year-old $15,000 water bills? Why hasn't the new administrative court opened? These are things that hold-up efforts to force renovations.

If selling city land is so important to McPhail, why do all land sales require CC approval despite it taking several months before they even see the issue? Why can't they delegate the work if they think they're too busy to do it in a timely fashion? Why can't they do it in a timely fashion? God knows CC has all the staff they want, so why can't they get the properties sold as quickly and effeciently as the county and state sell theirs? The Prosecutor's Office was selling most of their abandoned buildings in under a month. I've seen how these long waits for CC approval hold up efforts by other government agencies to force renovation on properties. When dealing with unoccupied dwellings, time is always of the essence.

The most frustrating actions are when the city even considers selling more property with dilapitated buildings to folks that are notorious for not maintaining their buildings or complying with past sales with the city. Why didn't McPhail write an ordinance stating that if you're out of compliance with a contract for a land sale with the city, your application is automatically rejected? Why not reject all purchases to folks who are currently tax delinquent?

The real issue here is how does McPhail's past actions prove she is willing and able to complete her campaign promises.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 285
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Keep up the attacks and see where freman goes and how.

Yeah, Freman won't go very far at all with all of this. Just to 9240 Dwight St.

Unless, of course, Sharon get there first.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 57
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - On the tuition plan for McPhail....She has publically stated (last week to a group of teachers) that if a student attends a Detroit school for 8 years with the parents living in Detroit (parochial, charter etc. was included) their college tuition will be funded through this program. I will send an Info Request into their campaign to have them clarify the web site.

I think this is a bold program. Listening to her speak about it in public was very good. I think people think "oh it is so bold that it can't possibly happen"...folks need to have faith. I can guarantee that if she says it she will make it happen and that is the impression you leave with after hearing Shaorn speak.
Thanks

Bindetroit

Post Number: 710
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Houdini made an elephant disappear. Everyone in the audience saw it happen and to a man swore it was true.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 73
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also the huge question of what has McPhail done for the city while on council? Someone else asked why hasn't she done something while she's been right in the thick of things of Detroit politics. While on council I have only seen her take the opposite side of whatever Kwame does. I have not seen her impliment any of her ideas while on council. Although I like the Detroit's Children Fund idea, why hasn't it been implimented yet. There's a four, four split on the rival council factions. You would think a shrewd politician would be able to get it through with such favorable numbers and on such a good issue such as education.

Brian

Post Number: 2238
Posted From: 208.39.169.124
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you off the issue of the ministations already? Did your issue not have enough interest even among the Freman supporters online?

I think its always a good thing to open mini-stations. All studies point to them having zero effect on crime prevention. But I have no problem with them opening. I would like to know how they would be paid for. Opening a ministation requires rent, utilities and then an additional officer manning the station while its open. That would mean an officer who is not elgible for being on the street, leaving the 'beat' and instead sitting behind a desk. There are not going to be much more officers added to Detroit's force. We are at our recommended numbers currently.

Jmy8

Post Number: 2048
Posted From: 12.75.52.15
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The way the one in my neighborhood worked: The space was provided free by a neighborhood institution; the officer in charge checked her messages and held office hours through late morning; then, she patrolled the streets through the afternoon and had a cellphone to reach her.

It worked well, and it did prevent crime, albeit not dramatically, and, at the very least, she was the only officer ever who stepped out of her car and got the guys drinking away their afternoons in the park to pick up all of the trash there.

Amelia

Post Number: 101
Posted From: 4.229.108.212
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since freman is a high-tech professional bureaucrat with a real "thinking" team, he should do his homework:

Among which, is the Skogan & Wycoff (1986) Houston study which found that mini-stations:
1) Reduced citizen FEAR of crime
2) Improved citizen PERCEPTION of the neighborhood
3) Improved citizens' ATTITUDES toward the police

There was nothing concluded that proved or even suggested that mini-stations REDUCED CRIME.

We don't need to waste more time on Freman's back to the future ideas which don't reduce crime. His plan has no merit for crime reduction.

Jmy8

Post Number: 2049
Posted From: 12.75.23.215
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia, you cite a nearly 20-year-old study and suggest that from a community relations standpoint, items #1-3 are negative? Hmmm.

Perhaps you's prefer "broken windows" tactics and Amadou Dialo?

Amelia

Post Number: 103
Posted From: 4.229.108.212
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I cited a 1986 study, because as a result of these community policing strategies such as "mini" or "sub" stations in some cities, they were found not to be effective and cities CLOSED THEM. Please follow and keep up before you engage a rebuttal. WE ARE NOT, I REPEAT NOT, talking about COMMUNITY RELATIONS!! WE ARE TALKING ABOUT CRIME REDUCTION, as offered by FREMAN HENDRIX. Community relations ain't in his plan. Secondly, no I prefer police officers to take assault weapons off the street, conduct raids on known drug houses, use computerized technology to patrol high crime areas, and conduct traffic stops on "gangsta mobiles". I don't care about picking up trash in the park. Let those who LUVDETROIT start park patrols and pick up their on cans and KFC crap after a night out to a bar in the "dirty D".

Fnemecek

Post Number: 288
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like police officers who do the same things, Amelia. Altough, I forget -- how much og that has happened under the Kilpatick Administration?

Jmy8

Post Number: 2051
Posted From: 12.75.53.26
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Talk about old-guard la-la land. You don't see any correlation between a 20-year-old study -- ancient history these days -- and the rise of "broken windows" as a cure-all that seeks to imitate "community policing" but ends up shooting a man who reaches for his wallet?

Man, traffic stops on "gangsta mobiles"? Surest route to a Fourth Amendment violation for a department already under federal scrutiny. The police in my neighborhood have to remind the lily-whites that not every Cutlass they see is driven by a drug dealer.

CRIME REDUCTION IS A BY-PRODUCT OF EFFECTIVE COMMUNITY POLICING, AND MINI-STATIONS PLAY A KEY ROLE IN THAT EFFORT. WE HAVE A MAYOR WHO WOULD RATHER HOLD A PRAYER MEETING FOR THE NEWSPAPERS THAN HOLD DPD ACCOUNTABLE FROM CRIME REDUCTION.

Hmmm. All caps is fun; it must mean that what I have to say is REALLY important.

Brian

Post Number: 2240
Posted From: 68.73.32.205
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmy8, what did they do in coleman Young's days before cops had cell phones?

And why did Archer close down all the ministations?

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 649
Posted From: 4.229.123.112
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmy8 to equate broken windows with one incident in NYC is a flat out lie and misrepresentation.
For those that don't know(might be a few) broken windows is a theory of crime fighting/reduction implemented in NYC with great success.Btw the DPD has a far, far worse human rights record than the NYPD.

Jmy8

Post Number: 2054
Posted From: 12.75.30.104
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what people did before cell phones, Brian. Theyre pretty handy these days. My ministation closed down during the Kipatrick adminsitration, so Archer is irrelevent, Brian. Tell me, why do you think the ministations closed during the Archer?

No, cl, I'm sure that grouping large numbers of police officers in one area and having them profile and target "criminals" had absolutely nothing to do with "broken windows."

Amelia

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 4.229.6.99
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL: Check out that rambling plan of freman's, you just might find that "broken window" theory in it too! Find something I ain't heard of yet or freman hasn't "borrowed".

Jmy*: Maybe you don't know what a "gangsta mobile" really is, but DPD does. You ain't the one that knows the difference between a cutless and a real "pimp my ride". Stay off the corner.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 712
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people haven't let facts get in their way in the past, and they're for damn sure not going to start now. Not for you, and not for anyone.

Citylover

Post Number: 650
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmy8 I will say it again eqating one incident(Diallo) with broken windows is a lie and dishonest and a misrepresentation

Paddy
Username: Paddy

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 68.60.140.5
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,
What did we do in coleman youngs days before cops had cell phones?
We had "call boxes" on about every 6th or 7th corner in the city, all cops were issued call box keys, you could get a hold of your precinct from almost any corner in the city

I would suspect Archer closed the Mini-stations because they were a useless waste of money, a pit stop for a street cop to use the restroom.

Amelia

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 4.229.6.99
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an idea freman has put in his plan that must get attention and I really intend to make sure it's floated among the preachers in purple suits. He makes reference to a "Ten Point Coalition" in Boston (1992). "African American ministers came together and started group patrols at night"... Well, he has also suggested that "our" churches volunteer to clean up public spaces around their churches. [silence] Here's a tip to freman, when you see the Pope-mobile riding through our hoods at night, I'm sure MY church patrols will be right behind it!! Call before you come to Bible study.

Jmy8

Post Number: 2056
Posted From: 12.75.30.104
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So tell us all, lily-white Amelia, too afraid of gangstas, What's a "gangsta mobile"? That's some deep down pathology there. Man, they got you good.

Cl, one incident by your own defintion cannot be a lie if yer calling lies. Again, having police profile "criminals" is dangerous ideology, especially when they shoot a fellow reaching for his wallet rather than a junkie looking for a fix.

Yeah, Amelia, GGT convention center and arena gets its own park and sends its tongue-speaking minions out to pollute others under. . . the Kilpatrick administration.

The more I hear the common protestant's call to prayer, the more I know Marx ws right.

Paddy
Username: Paddy

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.60.140.5
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmy8
pretty rough on amelia

And Marx wasn't even close.

Amelia

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 4.229.126.229
Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmy* Don't know who I am yet, do you?

Citylover

Post Number: 651
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lie jmy8(and you know this) is not the incident that is documented and there was a trial and a former cop is in prison for a long time...it is that you paint it as if it were part of the broken windows theory of crime fighting; you know it is not.
Btw a cop getting people in a park to clean up is something you would find practitioners of broken windows doing......
I am for whatever works jmy,broken windows, mentoring or anything else that is not oppressive.I am sorry you think rousting panhandlers and squeegee men is wrong but I bet you a whole lot of people in NYC would strongly disagree.

Jmy8

Post Number: 2057
Posted From: 12.75.52.205
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 3:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia, you could be Kilpatrick's transvestite persona for all I care, and I wouldn't give a damn. If you think you're all that, then you must have something to lose in the next election. At a loss for words and Amelia pulls a Beatty. . . . just like any political tyro in town. See ya' @ the polls.

Citylover, I respect your opinion to a degree. I know that you are open to whatever works, and I understand that you are really a compassionate man, but, no, I don't know that "broken windows" ideology didn't lead to abuses in the NYC police department.

Jams

Post Number: 1302
Posted From: 68.248.72.136
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia read what Hendrix actually stated in his website:

quote:

While I personally believe that street patrolling is not the proper role for Detroit’s churches – they can have a much bigger impact in other areas, as I note in another chapter -- there is no reason Detroit should not enjoy the benefits of a close crime-fighting relationship between the community and police. We need a long-term alliance that keeps our churches and community groups actively involved in the work of local precincts. Detroit’s mayor should publicly commend our most effective individuals and groups on a monthly or quarterly basis. Local businesses should be willing to support a citizens reward program by donating money or products, since they are among the largest beneficiaries of crime reduction.

Still not have chosen, as I feel a weak field of candidates, but will point out what I feel are inaccurancies in any postings about any candidate.

(Message edited by JamS on February 27, 2005)

Amelia

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 4.229.81.9
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If all you folks have to reference are websites in judging these candidates, you may be mislead or deceived. You may have to actually get out into the neighborhoods in Detroit to hear what's being said. What's stated on freman's website is being re-defined and constantly changing as he campaigns because its not being welcomed. You probably need to hear what was said at Greater Grace yesterday with the "women for hendrix" , or perhaps in that barber shop where he DOESN'T get a hair cut.

Jmy* Sorry, don't know "Beatty", and have nothing to lose this year. If you don't know how to keep up with an ex-presidential campaign blogger then you're in for a bumpy ride. Here's another tip, when I frustrate you and you can't figure out if I'm black or white, jew or gentile, girl or boy, just SHUT UP and count to ten before you use my name.

Citylover

Post Number: 652
Posted From: 4.229.147.253
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jmy8 your contention that you don't know that broken windows does not lead to police brutality or abuse is categorrically ridiculous.
Detroit does not use broken windows yet there record of abuse is much greater than NYC.Should I conclude that police depts that do not use BW are more prone to abuse?

Jams

Post Number: 1303
Posted From: 68.252.8.147
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Instead of alluding to things "that we should hear", post specifics. I don't accept arguments based on what someone didn't say. I've not heard one word from any of the candidates on Hull's surrender of Detroit in the War of 1812, are they all trying to hide something?

Stick with facts that can be substantiated and referenced. This crap that is put out about "things said" without specifics is just that to me..."CRAP".

Still waiting to make a decision based on FACTS not INNUENDO

Brian

Post Number: 2246
Posted From: 67.37.84.140
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If mini-stations help to lower crime, why did Archer close them during his administration? When Freman was working for Archer?

Why did Archer add over 2,000 city employees but reduce the overall number of cops on the street?

Jmy8

Post Number: 2061
Posted From: 12.75.30.24
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Call it ridiculous all you want, cl.

http://www.citylimits.org/cont ent/articles/articleView.cfm?a rticlenumber=633

Amelia, you don't frustrate me in the least, and you could use your own advice. :-)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1049
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You may have to actually get out into the neighborhoods in Detroit to hear what's being said."

Amelia, if you follow your own advice, you're not going to like the answers. The majority of people in the neighborhoods aren't in favor of your candidate (Kilpatrick).

Amelia

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 4.229.12.161
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD: Here we go again --- "the majority of people in the neighborhoods aren't in favor of your candidate (kilpatrick)". Please, let's see YOUR polling data; which neighborhoods, who do you talk to? According to some ABK's -- Kilpatrick has whole neighborhoods full of relatives, thousands perhaps! Guess you walked along Bretton Drive, huh? Please quantify MAJORITY or I'm not impressed with your unscientific polling data.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1052
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia, likewise, you prove my point. According to your sentiments, Detroiters don't support Hendrix nor McPhail. Kilpatrick has overwhelming support. Please, let's see your polling data; which neighborhoods do you talk to? Please quantify your claims.

Jams

Post Number: 1310
Posted From: 68.252.8.147
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please post Facts not guesses.
You get more points for that.

Citylover

Post Number: 653
Posted From: 4.229.123.131
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmy8 you know I could easily link any number of opinions on the BW's thing and make it look good.And you could find something else to counter that.The point is, for you to somehow attempt to tie the theory in with police abuse is ridiculous.Some cops have zero tolerance it sucks for example if one gets caught making a minor traffic mistake.....but some cops are abusive(Detroit cops allegedly)and that has absolutely nothing to do with any theory of crime fighting including broken windows......but you already know that.

Jmy8

Post Number: 2063
Posted From: 12.75.50.211
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not the only one who has linked "broken windows" to "zero tolerance," which broken windows is not supposed to be, and the Diallo case. It's an arc, a progression, of the mindset in this case. In theory, no, police officers should not be abusive; that's pretty standard.

"Broken windows" --> "zero tolerance" --> abuse of power

Jmy8

Post Number: 2064
Posted From: 12.75.50.211
Posted on Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And here, even Kelling agrees with the critics. Police-citizen partnerships at the street level are the best version of his theory, he says. "I have always defined it as negotiating a consensus about neighborhood standards of behavior," Kelling explains. "Police action reinforces that standard. The problem with zero tolerance is that it gives the impression that police set the standard."

From the link above, perhaps a thumbs-up for more mini-stations.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA

I thought it sounded strange that there were actually 5 police officers supporting Freman (did not believe there were 5 kind of like finding a few good souls in Sodom and Gomorrah). I checked on those police endorsees above and they are names from Police Academy....good one!

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 68.42.173.147
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the candidates and their advisors would be more effective stomping for votes by implementing the kind of crime plan as described in the link below.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/ed itorial/0502/28/A09-102040.htm

Amelia

Post Number: 110
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you saw fox2detroit saturday night, you saw the police chief conducting a "Detroit's Most Wanted" telethon. Our police department under Kilpatrick knows that taking weapons off the street, targeting violent drug dealers, who are by nature and trade potential killers, is the core attack on reducing violent crime. All of the candidates have experience with detroit's crime and have had a shot at reducing it. Let's look at the records, they can tell us anything now, lest we forgot what they did! Freman talks about his Safe Streets program under Archer. Remember students were being attacked on the way to school during the Archer administration and Dennis/Freman said nothing, did nothing until high school students walked out of class! Cities like Chicago with organized gangs have high profile "targets" and locations. Detroit's violent offenders historically have had different profiles and random patterns. In other words, our criminals seem not to be highly "organized". And then again, who is in this town?? GO FIGURE!

Eastside

Post Number: 115
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought Kilpatrick was friends with at least one big time drug dealer.

Amelia

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then at least we know his whereabouts. Don't have to waste time hunting him down, do we?

Eastside

Post Number: 116
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope...we can just follow the trail of his city issued credit card.

Amelia

Post Number: 112
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we count on you to do that, if that's what you get paid to do? or did you lose your access when you were laid off?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If you saw fox2detroit saturday night, you saw the police chief conducting a "Detroit's Most Wanted" telethon.

That's great.

My only concern is who is going to actually follow-up on any leads generated from such a telethon. Mayor Kilpatrick has cut DPD to its lowest staffing levels in decades.

No matter how many accusations you want to level against Freman Hendrix, he has pledged to reverse that, including bringing the Nacrotics and Gang Squads back to their pre-Kilpatrick levels.

Amelia

Post Number: 113
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who were those detectives out knocking on doors? They sure as dixie weren't mini-station volunteers!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 298
Posted on Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, not. Chasing criminals is a job for professional police officers; not volunteers - mini-station or otherwise.

So, why cut DPD to its lowest staffing levels in decads?

(Message edited by fnemecek on March 01, 2005)

Brian

Post Number: 2253
Posted From: 67.37.83.90
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Freman did state that then that would be one of the first ideas he has stollen from Benny Napoleon.

But I am curious, how many DPD employees are there today? How many DPD employees have been cut under Kilpatrick?

If Freman says that the city is close to bankruptcy and receivership, how is he planning to pay for these things?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Freman did state that then that would be one of the first ideas he has stollen from Benny Napoleon.

Oh, please -- that idea has been spread around so much that I don't think anyone can say anyone can say anyone else stole it.

I heard it for the first time from a DPOA rep almost 3 years ago - right after Jerry Oliver said that 2,500 officers was more than enough to police Detroit.

quote:

But I am curious, how many DPD employees are there today? How many DPD employees have been cut under Kilpatrick?

Dang, you would ask that. I saw the exact numbers a couple of months and can't find them at the moment.

If memory serves, DPD is at 2,600 officers down about 400.

If you need exact numbers, I'd check with the DPOA. They can give them to you a lot faster than anyone else (DPD's site, for example, only mentions officers and civilian employees as an aggragate number; not breaking down between officers and civilians).

quote:

If Freman says that the city is close to bankruptcy and receivership, how is he planning to pay for these things?

He didn't give a specific plan.

Oh, I feel like I can anticipate your next post, Brian.

Keep in mind that political candidates rarely answer how they'll fund anything before they'r elected. Once their in office, they figure it our.

McPhail din't give a specific plan for many of her proposals.

Kilpatick didn't have a financing plan for his "Kids. Cops. Clean." Initiative at this point when he was running for mayor either.

Brian

Post Number: 2255
Posted From: 63.69.106.5
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

TO be fair, I believe Kilpatrick stated that he would pay for his plan via donations from those doing business with the city. Sound Familiar?

McPhail and Benny have not stated how they will pay for the scholarship plan, but they did state how they would pay for their crime plans.

Benny, who used to be chief Napoleon, created the plan to deal with the gangs and drugs. It was how he was able to reduce crime 30% during his time as Chief.

Lastly do not confuse the term "offcers" with DPD employees. Officers are the lower ranking individuals. You also have sargeants, commanders, etc. who make up nearly a third of the DPD numbers. Those in the daily uniforms are primaryly the officers. They hand out tickets, conduct car chases and transport the prisoners. So while officers might be at 2,600 it is only a part of the overall DPD workforce.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2723
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian .... methinks Sharon did speak on how to fund the scholarships. From the Casino revenue, although Greektown Casino's minority owners (Art Blackwell & Marvin Beatty) stepped up to the plate with volunteer funding.

Black-atcha .....

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 650
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm all for the scholarships, but...

If they pay for it with casino money... how will they pay for the things that the casino money is paying for now?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Llyn - Casino money isn't like real money, it's "Casino Money." With "Casino Money" the city can pay for job training, for deficit reduction, for heating bills for seniors, and for (the original racist business assistance fund called) Africa Town. All of these things have been proposed by various currently sitting City Council members to be paid for with "Casino Money." Gaming tax revenues have shored up the City's unbalanced budgets for years, and the City is now as dependent on the casinos as any other gambling addict. But like Santa Claus, sure things, and respect in the morning, "Casino Money" is just a myth. Any promise to pay for anything with "Casino Money" is no promise at all.

Brian

Post Number: 2260
Posted From: 67.37.84.165
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you are right Rasputin.

Interesting issue the casino money. Archer began using it to offset his tax cuts aka John Engler and his killer programs and cuts. Archer's republican like policies put Detroit on the path that led it to where we are today. Kilpatrick lack of experience prevented him from having any insight into improving Detroit use of its finances. The casino money was intended to be extra to be used for things like Sharon's proposal or like the loans that was supposed to kick start business in the city. But thanks to Archer and Kilpatrick the casino money has been used to cover their mistakes, poor judgement and corruption.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2733
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, it's something to the tune of $30mil from Greektown alone. Now, if the others step up to the plate .... welllll

but, you're correct on the Casino money intent. Dennis used it to balance his budgets .... leading to the current deficits. Mayhaps it can be likened to the disappearance of the $90 million DPS surplus that disappeared under the Hendrix lead school board. Go figure ....

Black-atcha .....

Black-atcha ..... watching the State renege on scholarship funds.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 74
Posted on Friday, March 04, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know where the money went. Freman, Kwame, Mike Duggan, McNamara...they are all part of the same old political machine that have been running Wayne Co and Detroit into the ground. They treat it like their playground. I find it really ironic that Freman and Kwame's dad own a golf course together. Duggan and Freman were buddys in their youth. These guys are ALL tied together along with their wives and families - lets not forget that Kwame's dad and mom are major figures in SEMI. And ole Freman has been a part of the city for 30 years. Archer was, who I think was a good man (but did nothing for the folks in the city), was probably forced to take Freman has chief of staff then DM but they crony machine that has been running this place into the ground. If you don't believe me it is not hard to find out!

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 69.246.98.247
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Archer's republican like policies put Detroit on the path that led it to where we are today."

Doubt it. Much like the federal government it is worse for a city to cut taxes without drastically cutting spending. Archer did not have the guts to make cuts, and that is why we are here today.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 68.42.173.147
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lots of shit talking going on here and I just smoked a bad one, so I'm jumping in.

McPhail can't get her colleagues to support her Children's Fund proposal. She don't have the votes and she won't get them before December 31, 2005, unless she gets elected Mayor.

The reference to the $90 million surplus in DPS when Archer took over. The district isn't really different from a lot of city folks I know. Here's what I mean. My friends get paid on Friday's. We cash our checks and leave a few dollars in the bank account. Our accounts might look like we have a couple hundred dollars (or even a couple thousand dollars) in them but in reality, we owe rent, phone, gas, water, electric, cable, car note, insurance .... If we paid them, our accounts would zero and we'd be getting over-draft statements. You get my point.

Well guess what, DPS did the same thing. It's easy to say it had $90 million but it never said how much it owed (I think it's called accounts payable). I wonder if Freman knows that? Oops, did I just tip him off?

Brian

Post Number: 2267
Posted From: 208.39.169.124
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Romanized, what you describe is the Bush administration. A republican administration who has done things in the same manner as the former Archer administration. Both followed standard republican practices. Think about your analogies more closely if you want to disagree. You should have used Clinton, but then Clinton cut taxes and cut spending. He eliminated the deficits and the national debt. But then he followed democratic politicies.

Morena, the DPS does not follow the same procedures as do you in your personal bank account. The Books must balance each fiscal year. That means at the end of the year the bills, liabilities, accounts payable, etc. must be less than or equal to any revenue received for that fiscal year. So all things balance. The DPS balanced the books in the final year of the elected government and had a surplus. In the first year of the takeover the board ran a deficit. Hendrix allowed or watched or assisted folks in stealing money. He let Adamany and Duggan steal money, he allowed a republican to be chosen as the school board president. A republican who was friends of John Engler.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1076
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" it's funny as well as rather disingenuous that you don't include your candidate (McPhail) in this political machine example of yours. Remember, she too is part of your "30 year club". Furthermore she has also held Detroit/Wayne County government positions (CC, DPD commissioner, etc). Also remember, this is her fifth run for Detroit/Wayne County political office. Therefore, these supposed "ties", money, etc. also apply to her. Unless you're using selective "reasoning".

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 78
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Name one tie that she is associated to. Her record is clean. Also remember this is Freman's first run for anything...he has no experience. Freman on the other hand owes everyone BIG!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1078
Posted From: 205.188.116.195
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, "Ilovedetroit" your post is disingenuous as well as filled with inaccuracies. No doubt McPhail has CAMPAIGN experience (this is her 5th run for elected office), however, only winning one of those races (so far) questions whether it is good or bad experience. Furthermore, campaign experience doesn't necessarily mean ACTUAL experience for a given office. As for your false claims about Hendrix, once again you're up to your same old negative tactics.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 80
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - I have stated why I think Freman is wrong for this city. Why do you think McPhail is wrong? And I am curious have you ever gone to one of her events - I have been to at least three Freman events. Just curious.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1080
Posted From: 205.188.116.195
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit",

Why I think McPhail is the wrong choice for mayor:

1. I don't think she conducts herself professionally/civilly/respect fully (personal demeanor (when I met her as well as in the media), Everett incident, AWOL stunt on the pension vote, the Ecorse issue, electric chair, seeking out the cameras/media at every opportunity, etc.)

2. I don't think her proposals are realistic nor an actual solution. (Subway, 50% crime reduction, free college tuition, free prescription drugs, etc.)

3. Her multiple runs for various offices.

4. A history of negative campaign tactics (accussing Archer of sexual harrassment, accusing Duggan of racism, now negative tactics against Hendrix, etc.)

5. Lack of county, suburban, state, federal, business, etc connections.

I have met Ms. McPhail on a couple of occasions, however, I have not attended any of her events.

Again, based on the gross inaccuracies of your claims about Hendrix's formal announcement (as well as your other false claims about him)...pardon me if I do not take your claim to have attended any of his events, at face value.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 722
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild - where have you "stated why [you] think Freman is wrong for this city." Considering your pervasive negative slants and libelous tone, you probably have tried. But not liking the man's church, questioning his religion, and criticizing his commitment to public service (26 years worth), are not reasons. Why your reluctance to read Freman's roadmap? Too challenging, perhaps? Do all of Sharon's supporters share your distaste for thinking for oneself and a germanic fondness for rallies (Rightfully concerned, in light of your insistence on calling Freman Hendrix "Helmut")

More importantly, why McPhail? What is she going to do for Detroit? What is she going to do for Detroit that's different than the pig-at-the-trough routine she's been at for the last 4 years? How is she going to stop being part of the problem and miraculously transform herself into part of the solution?

Brian

Post Number: 2269
Posted From: 67.37.84.11
Posted on Saturday, March 05, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being an employee automatically qualifies you as performing a public service? Then why do the Freman campaign folks always criticize city workers? Its just Hypocritical.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bri - As usual, you don't know wtf you're talking about. "Freman campaign folks always criticize city workers?" Dude, Freman's campaign folks ARE City workers. Among many, many others.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, March 06, 2005 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Brian castigates Freman for his service as Deputy Mayor. Then lambastes him for his appointment to the school board. And denigrates him for other positions his held in the course of his career. And NOW Brian wants to discount Freman's public service because he was employed by the City before his tenure as a politician? What's that word I'm looking for? Oh yeah (and Brian, thanks for the help there) - "Its just Hypocritical."