Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » McPhail on WDET 101.9 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI

There seems to be so many misconceptions about McPhail. I received an email alert from her campaign that she is on a 2 part interview - Wednesday March 16th and Thursday March 17th at 6:30 and 8:30 AM. I encourage all those who are interested to listen to her interview. I am sure it will be very good!

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 741
Posted From: 64.136.49.226
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovemcphail, this thinly-veiled forum campaign effort is getting old. A politician's words are worth very little when the actions of their past have eroded so much of their credibility.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 6203
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very smart on her part! On wednesday she can come out and say certain things. Then on thursday she can come out and say "it was an unfortunate choice of words on my part" in regard to her comments the day before. Very good planning by her, saves days from passing by leaving people wondering. This way the clean up and clarification can happen while fresh in everyone's minds.

laughing

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.212.59.16
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha good one

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 129
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh supersport...you obviously don't listen to WDET - the target audience is typically educated professionals - they have been supporting all of the candidates in a two day forum on the station (Freman was on two weeks ago) so this is not some conspiracy on the McPhail campaign.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She does enough to sabotage herself.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 84
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gdub, just say you're for helmut and get over it. Post your own thread.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 742
Posted From: 64.136.49.226
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who's Helmut, sir Quinn? Sure you've got the right city? I have to assume you vote in Detroit, or else you're choice for candidate doesn't really count in the end.

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 141.217.119.177
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI...

The interview is in two parts simply because of time constraints...nine minutes this morning, nine minutes tomorrow morning...exactly as Freman's interview was presented. Keep in mind as well that the interview in its entirety will be available online at WDETFM.ORG after tomorrow's segment runs. Part one is available online now.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2784
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you state, " the target audience is typically educated professionals ..."??? That leaves Sporty and some others that post on this website out of the mix. Mayhaps that's the reasons for their consistent barbs & arrows, eh???

Black-atcha .....

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that interview today. Some of it sounded decent, but then she'd say something like "The Detroit News has never supported Detroit," which is gee, a huge generalization. Also, her "apology" was "I'm sorry if the Detroit News was offended by what I said." That's not an apology for what she said, mind you. Just an apology that the News was pissed of from her calling them liars. Damn--she may have a job on CC, but has she no political training whatsoever?

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2415
Posted From: 63.69.106.5
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon McPhail never called anyone a liar. She never accused the DetNews of doing anything improper. All she ever stated about the issue was that she never stated what they wrote in their editorial.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 770
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She keeps promising to come up with plans, like for repopulating the City, reducing crime, lowering taxes, etc. She announces her goals but only keeps giving assurances that the details will be worked oput later. Would like to hear her answers for when and hat the specifics will be and why she hasn't tried to implement any of her goals while being on CC.

Sharkskin

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: "All she ever stated about the issue was that she never stated what they wrote in their editorial."

In other words, Brian, lying. Either that, or she's calling the News grossly incompentant. Serious charges, especially coming from a member of CC.

Quinn

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharkskin, it is a genralization that rings true with me and alot of others that the Detroit News has never supported Detroit.

Make no mistake. The News wants Helmut to win and will do anything to make that happen. Like the News, he has allied himself with suburbs. truman

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3223
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is this Helmut everyone keeps refering to? I was not aware of any former Hogan's Heroes guards running for office.

Sharkskin

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well guess what, Quinn--a pretty healthy percentage of our former fellow Detroiters have allied themselves with the suburbia by moving there. If by "allying themselves with the suburbs" you mean a candidate trying to get along with your neighbors to encourage behavior of mutual benefit, I would think that's a good thing. If you mean selling Detroit out, I could point to a city council that's so busy arguing about innane matters that residents' paychecks get sold to insurance companies and their taxes get sent to shatty city services. So if McPhail wants my vote, fine. But she's got to earn it, and offering slogans without substance and treating her peers like a pissed off drama queen isn't the way to go.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3004
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, Brian and co. purport that Hendrix' real name is Helmut. I cannot find anything to corroborate that fact. Nor do I see why they can't just refer to him as "Freman" if it is true, as I for one, and I'm sure others have this problem, had no idea what the hell he was talking about with all this Helmut business.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you really expect her (McPhail) to roll out her full plan now? Has any candidate rolled out their full plan yet? Sharon did state some very positive steps that she is taking on taxe relief. If you would attend one of her campaign meetings you would hear alot more. Her full plan will be rolling out soon - crime and tax relief. All these items roll up to the overall plan population and retention. All I am asking is that you listen to her - take the drama out of things.

PS - Freman's full name is Helmut Freman Hendrix. Personally I wish everyone would quit calling him Helmut...if voters don't know his real they won't know who to vote for. His mother is German - I believe her family name is Freman. Remember I use to support him as Metro likes to point out!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 1014
Posted From: 66.167.59.64
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ahem... You know the rules...in case y'all wonder where the last bunch of name calling posts went.

\flushing sound

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1381
Posted From: 68.79.118.52
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell,
You've a tough job.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha ha thanks Lowell and I apologize...trying to make a point that we were acting like babies!

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 69.212.31.92
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No doubt, Sharon is smart. She presented herself pretty well on part one... if she didn't have the propensity to shoot herself in the foot and what seems to sometimes react without forethought, she'd be an even stronger candidate than she is.

She's doing a good job of "rinse-repeat," meaning that she's focusing on a couple core things and drilling them into voters which is what you should be doing. She's got way more ink than Hendrix and she is using it to her advantage; knowing that a challenger to an incumbent with a big war chest can never start too early in this name-recognition game of Detroit politics (note Lonnie Bates).

Not that I'm in the McPhail camp. But credit is deserved where credit is due; I think quite a few people underestimated her and her abilities.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 2482
Posted From: 68.41.96.145
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've seen their birth certificates, Jelk?

What is your definition of 'different'?

Quinn

Post Number: 93
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He asked so I showed him. My parents didn't like me very much..."Marsha Marsha Marsha...it's never me."

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1156
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...But wait "Ilovedetroit", you said you never supported him. Now you're saying that you did. So which one is it? Maybe 25% of you supported him. No, make that 60%. Or maybe it's the other way around?

Brian

Post Number: 2418
Posted From: 67.37.83.109
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Helmut has been looking to get his hands on Sharon McPhails plans. He already began using some of her words in his own speeches.

The interview today was great. I got many emails with folks telling me that they are happy to hear a professional interview instead of what occured last week. A straighup Q & A not a Radio Jacking.

Tomorrow will have even more people tuned in.

The_aram

Post Number: 3014
Posted on Wednesday, March 16, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you just call him Freman already?

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2795
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same here, Brian .... kudos to WDET,; professionally and for on-air leadership.

aram: Hell NO ... I'll call him by his name!! even if he is ashamed of it!! (lol) and won't use it on the ballot. Chanting, "Helmut, Helmut, Helmut .... he's the suburbanite called the aram's man!" Too bad you can't vote for him.

Black-atcha .....

Quinn

Post Number: 96
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Helmut!!!!!
helmut

The_aram

Post Number: 3022
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras, I never said I supported Freman.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 67.101.190.144
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA Poor Helmut...nice pic! Reminds me of Michael Dukakis in the tank!

Quinn

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't find one with a german style helmet...I guess he isn't a nazi after all. Just a good 'ole american soldier.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1412
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a good interview.

Combined with her public apology with the news last week, it show she's gaining some poise to deal with town's media more effectively.

While speculation of her tendancy to self implode still abounds from last weeks Perfect Media Storm- she still has a good run ahead of her as the race really wont start till all the candidates have filed, as Ras states.

Hopefully she will use the Council Budget process to her advantage and gain back some ground potentially lost in the hubub of last week. There nothing like pointing out how wasteful the incumbent is during the election process.

Her other challenge remains to run past the primary-particularly if Kilpatrick survives the primary- to appeal to the Hendrix voter as she will need them to win the mayor's seat. Without this her chances of being successful dwindle fast.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Asked why someone should vote for her, McPhail said that we wouldn't embarass the City. Really? Electric chairs, 2 ethically-inconsistent full-time jobs, hmmm'ing eastside, Sambo award presenter, calling the second largest circulation daily paper on a quote only to be proven a racist liar. Stand up and be proud Sharon.

She added that a vote for her was a vote for change. Really? ow can she be running as outsider? What has she been doing for the last 31/2 years if not being a divisive obstructionist on the City's payroll?

Props to WDET for equal-timing Sharon McPhail. Shame on McPhail for wasting ours.

(Message edited by bindetroit on March 17, 2005)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1165
Posted From: 205.188.117.68
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", Hendrix served in the military. Dukakis served in the military. Did you? Could you be believed if you said yes? HAHAHA

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Combined with her public apology with the news last week, it show she's gaining some poise to deal with town's media more effectively."

Zulu, I have to disagree. This is McPhail's fifth run for office, not to mention the fact that she currently serves in an elected office. She's had 12+ years in the public eye to learn how to act properly.

Helfy
Username: Helfy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been lurking these forums for awhile now and must say: McPhail wins by a landslide! Automatic and go to the bank on it.

The_aram

Post Number: 3027
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i.e.
"I work for the McPhail campaign and I was sent here to pump her up to the sheople!"
eh, Helfy?

Helfy
Username: Helfy

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, you are pretty sharp. I make no qualms about where i stand on the issues. I am 100% for McPhail and do not flounder around these forums flip flopping my support. 100% McPhail supporter, No ifs ands or Buts! Helfy's in da hauz!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - The News is HARDLY the largest circulated paper. It has been rumored to be near shutting down for years. An arch Conservative paper in Michigan does not do well - the FREEP has double the circulation.

Metro - Like you remind me all the time - I use to be for Helmut Freman Hendrix but not anymore - 100% McPhail...she is smart, sharp and will win!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And BTW Hendrix just can't do it. The guy is an empty suit with ZERO charisma! And NO tax plan!

The_aram

Post Number: 3029
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" It has been rumored to be near shutting down for years."
Um, what?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 139
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram where do you live (other than the suburbs) ... you have never heard this before?

The_aram

Post Number: 3030
Posted on Thursday, March 17, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. And I have acquantances who work for the paper.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" that lame "empty suit" comment was the Freudian slip comment that you made on a previous thread, claiming to have heard someone else say it ("I had" instead of "I heard").

100%...60%...25%..."double the circulation"...don't confuse yourself with all those numbers

By the way your Freep vs News circulation claim is completely false. Likewise, your claim that "the News has been rumored to be shutting down" is also completely false.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Metro...you, of course, never have any backup data. You sound like Karl Rove and the Republicans..."lies, lies, lies...praise Jesus."

PS - I love the term "empty suit" it is just too good not to borrow...according to you it must be one of the reasons I switched my vote from Helmut Freman to McPhail!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 663
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a little off topic, but just so we all know what's what:

The News used to have a larger circulation than the Freep. Check it out.

The News' slid under the Freep in circulation after the JOA and during the period of time when the Freep was the "morning paper" and the News was the "afternoon paper". It was probably more of a time of day thing, not a liberal vs conservative thing. (Neither of which describes me, by the way, just so we know the "bias" factor here.)

I believe the News has continued to slide against the Freep since, if I remember the figures correctly, but both papers are losing circulation. Newspapers in general are losing circulation anyway.

Interestingly, it was the Freep that was considered the "failing" newspaper in the JOA filing. But... they had to pick one of the papers as the cause for filing, so hey, why not the Freep? Someone else may have a better memory of the financials of the two papers at the time... although they were no doubt presented in the most negative light possible.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 100
Posted From: 68.40.13.185
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, The News' circulation is now slightly less than that of the Freep. But both papers lost tens of thousands of subscribers during the strike and never got them back. I think their subscriptions numbers have been falling ever since.

BTW, doing a little 100 posts dance over here. Yeah, finally in the triple digits. At this rate I'll be able to hit Supersport numbers by the time I retire.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Michigan is getting more Blue as a state and the News is just a little too conservative for most Detroiters. I actually think the writing is better but to be honest both papers are not very good. I prefer the NY Times.

The_aram

Post Number: 3033
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Michigan is getting more blue as a state, why the hell did Kerry squeak by with a miniscule margin as compared to Al Gore in 2000?
Yes, I supported Kerry, and I'm an extremely liberal person, I just don't see Michigan getting more liberal.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kerry won by 5% in Michigan when the final count was done...that is a good spread. Too bad it wasn't that "close" in Ohio (which I am still boycotting). I still have not quite accepted the fact that Bush "he gags when he says the name" is our presidet.

The_aram

Post Number: 3035
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2004 Election Results, Michigan: U.S. Presidential Race:
George W. Bush (R): 48% (2,306,292)
John Kerry (D): 51% (2,471,905)
Ralph Nader (Reform/Independent): 1% (23,914)
Michael Badnarik (Libertarian): 0% (10,536)
Others: 0% (11,713)
That's a 3% spread.

In 2000, Gore won by a 4% margin, 51-47.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the final results? I could have swore I saw a 5% spread just a couple of weeks ago? If it is ... fine. I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. And congrats on your sleuthing.

The_aram

Post Number: 3036
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope. That's the final results.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilove" -- I'm glad you admit you're wrong on the Bush-Kerry spread.

It's good not to jump to conclusions before you're sure. One other thing; most people realize that a newspaper's editorial page philosophy, whether conservative or liberal, usually has nothing to do with the rest of the paper (or those who write for it). I enjoy reading the Wall Street Journal immensely, especially the features.
I know better than to read the right-wing editorials, they're awful. But the WSJ's reporting is top-notch, and I bet most of its reporters share my liberal views.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 368
Posted From: 4.229.105.137
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So if it is Helmut Freman Hendrix, I suppose the next thing someone will say that our former governor (Soapy Williams) name has another German name - "Gerhard Mennen Williams". Where will it all end??? Next thing you know someone named "Dieter" will be running Chrysler. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!

Brian

Post Number: 2427
Posted From: 67.37.83.249
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IloveDetroit, them numbers are close but are not the certified numbers. He didn't get them from the state of Michigan (secretary of state) office. But no matter, Kerry took Michigan. Its the winner take all in the USA. The percentage of points for the loser doesn't matter.

Most reporters are conservative. Most reporters (journalists) make six figure (or higher) incomes. In the past year the WSJ has been busted on numerous occasions, as their competitors, for reporting just one side of a story. Usually to retain the views of the owners. The owners own both the editorial and the news reporting wings. They higher all the people and decide who does what. When they don't like what you do, they fire you and hire somebody else. Its ridiculous to think that a reporter doesn't have an opinion and that opinion doesn't become part of their story. Its up to the reader to detect the opinion and get beyond it to get at the facts. I believe they call part of that process critical thinking. Others just call it common sense.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Friday, March 18, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian - Thank you for the clarity you bring to this forum. Some of the less "bright" people on here may give you a hard time -but I am sure you are use to being the smartest boy in class.

Pffft

Post Number: 484
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Six figures?????

Brian you are stone tripping.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1576
Posted From: 12.75.24.9
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most reporters are conservative.

Coming from one who considers the Michigan Citizen to be a reputable source of news that opinion is to be expected. The Michigan Citizen's own motto (go ahead, see for yourself at www.michigancitizen.com) is "America's Most Progressive Community Newspaper". We all know what that code word means, and it ain't "middle-of-the-road".

The liberal slant of journalists has been well documented for decades. Whether looking at the elite national media or local media, print, radio or TV, the picture is the same time after time.

Journalists have been surveyed about their choice for President. They chose the Democrat without fail, by much larger margins than the general public. Even in landslides elections like '72 or '84, journalists bucked the general trend and voted heavily Democratic. Nixon took 60% of the vote, but 80% of journalists voted for McGovern. Reagan took 59% of the vote in '84 and 49 of 50 states but only 26% of journalists voted for Reagan. This slanted trend continues through today.

The same slant is seen when journalists are asked if they are liberal, moderate or conservative. In the national media, the ratio of liberals to conservatives is 34% to just 7% conservative, the rest self-identified as moderate. Locally, the ratio is 23% liberal to 12% conservative, still not balanced and certainly not dominated by conservative thinkers. Bear in mind that these figures reflect reporters, editors and executives. And that those who say "moderate" often think they're moderate but that's relative to their fairly liberal peer group. They're actually moderate-to-liberal rather than moderate-to-conservative.

Furthermore, when polled on their positions on the issues, journalists tend to hold much more liberal views on social issues (abortion, religion, homosexuality, gun control) than the general public.

Even the news consumer sees the slant. More than half of people see a liberal slant in the news, only a quarter see a conservative slant. Even when polling self-identified Democrats, a plurality of 41% say they think the media has a liberal bias versus only 33% of Democrats who see a conservative bias.

Studies and surveys going back to the Johnson/Goldwater election in '64 show a liberal domination of the news, despite the political tendancies of the owners. After all, when journalism schools are overwhelmingly populated by "progressives" who are out to change the world and expose wrongdoing, what should we expect?

Many journalists do an excellent job of reporting the news but their bias seeps through in very subtle ways. You have to take what they say with a grain of salt and seek out a non-mainstream news source for verification.

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 67.149.108.143
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What am I the only conservative on this board... Lol... The news has always had OK stories... But the Freep has had very interesting in-depth stories... Being it liberal or conservative... There reporting just seemed to me more fair... And yes for those who doubt it the media is very left sided... I was a news person once and saw it first hand... After alot of thinking I chose another career yet news reporting still is in my blood. But I digress, I could get into a Demo and Rep agruement but why... I am better than that... Have fun on my post...

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1175
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", speaking of never having any backup data, how did that 25% Black...changed to 60% White...changed to 25% Detroiters...changed to 60% suburbanities (at Hendrix's formal announcement) claim work out for you? I guess the videos (news stations, campaign), photos (campaign, newspapers, attendees), and witnesses were your "backup data"?

Pffft

Post Number: 485
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another sign of the apocalypse, that Track and I agree. But yes, most journalists see the way things work and are left-leaning. Trust me on that. There are conservatives in every newsroom, but they're in the minority.

But objective journalism as practiced by liberal AND conservative journalists working together will always trump "non-mainstream," overtly slanted news like Fox.

Brian

Post Number: 2430
Posted From: 67.37.83.84
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting.

First folks use the DetNews and Freep to judge the entire country of journalists? When Detroit is home to some of the strongest pro-union sentiments who purchase the paper(or used to) daily. Whos advertisers sell to these union people. Detroit is unique in more than one way as compared to counterparts across this nation, but apparently folks here don't understand why.

Then we are supposed to believe that after Bush won two elections that there is a liberal bias. If there was such a bias then wouldn't there be more negative stories about Bush meaning Bush would probably have lost. Even in Michigan Posthumous escaped heavy negative coverage which allowed him to come close to defeating Granholm. (Thank God for Detroit voters.)

You'll have to go and read the research from the "Pew Charitable Trusts Project for Excellence in Journalism" which is affiliated with the Columbia School of Journalism. Their research shows how there is more negative coverage of the so called liberals and more positive coverage of the so called conservatives in the US.

That shit you posted Track reads like it came from the RNC. Its just like the Bush folks, and their non-thinking believers, to at first claim a liberal bias and then seek to discredit the profession.

quote:

"seek out a non-mainstream news source for verification"

Like the Michigan Citizen? No. You have attempted to discredit them. You probably mean Rush Limbaugh or things like The New Republic. Are they biased?

Is this why more journalists have died in Iraq thus far than in the entire Vietnam War? Is this why Bush has been caught paying journalists to push their policy. (Just like the DPS and Mildred Gaddis on Inside Detroit.)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, how does one "attempt to discredit" the "Michigan Citizen"? When they report quotes and descriptions of events contrary to video, eyewitnesses, and every other news outlet; not to mention promoting events such as the "Sambo Awards", they discredit themselves.

Brian

Post Number: 2434
Posted From: 67.37.83.220
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, you believe what the DetNews writes. Keep believing. It will be that much easier to defeat Helmut and his camp by you using a tainted news source.

The_aram

Post Number: 3043
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a "tainted news source"? And that's why the News and Free Press have circulation numbers that are exponentially larger than your beloved Citizen? If the Citizen was such a great and reputable source of news, why do only 200,000 people receive it every week?

Brian

Post Number: 2436
Posted From: 67.37.83.220
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would that be a factor of one, two or three aram?

But your question should be, if you knew how to think critically, why is the circulation for the Freep and the DetNews such a small number when their audience is so much larger than that of papers like the Michigan Citizen?

Perhaps because folks who think for themselves realize those daily publications offer slanted news coverage.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1187
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, you still haven't explained the "Michigan Citizen's" obsession with promoting the cop killer. "Explain" why their accounts of his arrest as well as arraignment varies from everyone else (media, video/audio, witnesses, etc).