Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Freman Drops Out of Mayor's Race? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, well I keep saying he hasn't got the guts to cut it? I just spent the last few hours at Agave with a group of folks. A very drunk exec from Illitch Industries is saying that Freman is going to have to drop out of the race because he cannot raise enough money to compete. The exec also said that Freman's polling numbers from the company he used are being called into question (apparently the company was based in Oakland CA and they have no strong reputation of doing polling for midwest candidates (mostly CA stuff). The real numbers reflect that he is in a far 3rd place and cannot compete against McPhails strong numbers from Zogby.

Also his insiders in the McPhail camp are reporting that her support is soaring from grass roots activist. Remember Freman has a bad reputation with his management of the school board takeover. Also his buddy talk show hoste Mildred Gaddis has continued to bash McPhail (Mildred Gaddis is a well known tool and hack of the Detroit Public Schools under Burnley). Invigorated activist and community support continues to grow and Freman realizes he cannot compete.

Hmmmm will I be proven correct? Apparently he is making a last ditch effort for a good showing agaist KK and McPhail at a debate later this week. IF he does poorly he is announcing that he is dropping out before Easter so he can spend time with his family.

Truth or fiction? And you can imagine that I am hoping this is true.

Artist
Username: Artist

Post Number: 3
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know if he'd only sell back that caddy he might have a few more dollars to spend in his hopeless endeavor.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1741
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! That's a ridiculous RUMOR and it flies.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1420
Posted From: 205.188.117.68
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fiction. Zulu sources show Freman still raising money.

If money was the issue, McPhail would have been out of the race.

The Zogby numbers are reliable, but not strong. with a +/- of 5% all three candidates are hovering near each other, with 20 % or so undecided.

I think the operative word in the initial post was "drunk"...

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1172
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow "Ilovedetroit" you've taken your act to new heights.

1. Hendrix has more money than McPhail so you're whole "theory" gets shot right out of the water from the start.

2. Your claims about Fairbank, Maslin, Maullin & Associates (Hendrix's poll) are completely false. The firm is a well-known polling service that has conducted research for candidates across the country.

3. Your credibility is completely shot given your numerous false accusations already to this point.

4. Your credibility is highly questionable given this whole act of "new forum poster" that has been shown to be full of inconsistencies and negative behavior.

5. You didn't do yourself any favors with this little story that you made up by stating that your "source" was drunk.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 6270
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO at the lies I see coming in from McPhail camp. You gonna make her issue a statement tomorrow stating her supporters were "misunderstood?" hahahaha McPhail is done, put a fork in her. I hope to see Benny run now on his own, as I believe he could easily mop up his competition. I'm surprised he even teamed up with McFail in the first place, with her already losing track record from the past.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 155
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Freman's wife works for Illitch Industries...maybe there is some good inside scoop there. why else would he say this?

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 111
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yikes! That would make for a boring election!

Remember I posted about Freman's polling company...how odd to use that firm!?! California, nobody knows them...they haven't even updated their website in three years! Do they even exist?

http://www.fmma.com/

Ilove...i knew he was having serious money problems but are they that bad? It's odd to be thinking he is the one with these issues, since he's been in the suburbs so long trying to scam money.

To the Helmut people...if he is so fabulous why is he having trouble raising money? He's certainly been in front of enough wealthy people...

Quinn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess we'll see him driving off into the sunset in his fabulous new cts... wait...won't he have to give that car back now?

car

Craggy
Username: Craggy

Post Number: 153
Posted From: 68.41.75.125
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe we have to suffer through these mudslinging campaign COMMERCIALS for the next six months.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2428
Posted From: 67.37.83.84
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IloveDetroit, your statements have much truth in them. Buts its not the lack of money as MD tried to spin the thread, as Helmut has raised money, its that he cannot raise enough to beat either McPhail or Kilpatrick.

True that his polling numbers have always been in question. Even he backed away from his own numbers when he released them weeks ago. He won't even support his own poll.

Mildred has been given instructions (and funds) to push propaganda onto her listeners. But Mildred is rapidly losing support because of the news in the two dailies that DPS has been paying her and that her conduct in support of Helmut is now making her look like a hack. She is losing her supporters not because they support someone other than Helmut, as many live in the burbs and won't be voting, but her partisanship is giving folks a headache. Folks liked to listen to her for her commentary and news, but many now say its a Helmut station.

Also Helmut is pulling from the same old county pool of the Big Mac group. They are telling him that if he can't beat KK that he will have to back down so they can concentrate on defeating McPhail in the General election. They don't have faith that he can make it in August.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1400
Posted From: 68.79.80.224
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,
Many of us on this forum hear a lot of things in bars and restaurants, I do because I bartend. I choose not to speak of them.

Your credibility has gone out the window with me. If the best you can do to support your candidate is RUMOUR AND INNUENDO (see other thread), I'm guessing I won't be the only one turned away.

Please put None of the Above on the ballot

Jams

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way,
I outed myself a long time ago. Never hid behind a screen name. Many forumites know me and we have spoken face-to-face many times.

Enjoy your games.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey maybe it is not true...seemed like it was from a credible source - like I said Freman's wife works at Illitch maybe something going around? Ridiculous comments about McPhail/Napoleon on waldmeirs string seemed to be failry accepted.

But I do agree his polling company does not seem to have much credibility (seems like they work out of a trailer) and Mildred Gaddis his "big supporter" is a known hack paid by the DPS to spin lies and her bad journalistic unbiased view of things. We will see.

Brian

Post Number: 2432
Posted From: 67.37.83.220
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You picked that up on the double standard IloveDetroit. Notice how these folks who claim to be impartial don't challenge all rumors or unsubstantiated statements.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 66.245.43.227
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cadillac in that photo is the STS. Jeez!

So if he does drop, and i doubt it, we are stuck with a douche bag and a turd sandwich for candidates.

Jams

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,
I CHALLENGE EVERYTHING.Put me in Hendrix box, I don't care. I'm not thrilled with any of the "apparent" candidates, and I wish we had better choices.

I've a new credo, enjoy your games

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee...you guys are a tough crowd! It seems that alot of this forum is mostly rumor and innuendo! Plenty of folks are ready to take a pot shot at McPhail or KK over something they read in the paper or see posted on here. Maybe this is a good lesson...don't believe ALL that you read and try to go out and get the facts on your own. I stated several weeks ago (as Metro loves to point out) that I did my due diligence on the candidates. I went to McPhail and Freman meetings equally. After some long hard thought I decided to support McPhail (after I initially leaned towards Freman). Maybe everyone else should do the same and quit believing everything you hear as a rumor or read in the paper. I think there is as Brian says a double standard for most people on here. Trash McPhail and love Hendrix! People call her a witch and a "douche bag"....it is about time that folks got on here and called Freman for what they perceive him to be to. I love this forum. Gets my blood boiling in a good way to see everyone get so worked up over a rumor hahahaha

Supersport

Post Number: 6292
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Plenty of folks are ready to take a pot shot at McPhail"

Uh, McPhail digs her own holes, we don't have do any diggin'!

Brian

Post Number: 2438
Posted From: 67.37.84.227
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post ILoveDetroit. Especially the part of using the news papers or other sources as their sole source of information.

Sport has never met Sharon McPhail or Benny Napoleon.

Jams, I don't know if you live in Detroit (and will be voting in Detroit), but you don't know anything about any of the candidates. Do what ILoveDetroit has done and visit all three. You just might decide to be a KK supporter. There is nothing wrong with that if its what you feel is in your best interest.

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 12.75.50.18
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It seems that alot of this forum is mostly rumor and innuendo!" Yeah, like the person who started this thread by quoting a drunk.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1338
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cletus, Pete Waldmeir's a drunk? Oops wrong thread ... nevermind ... :P

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1181
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" your initial forum appearance had you claiming that you originally supported Hendrix, then did "research on McPhail" and switched.

For a brief period (until I called you out, once again) you made the adamant claim that you never supported Hendrix and that you were always a McPhail supporter.

Now you're back to your original claim of initial "objectivity" on the candidates. As you can see, no one believes your act (other than Brian) so why don't you just cut your loses and stick to the negative tactics of the McPhail campaign, rather than trying to salvage some amount of this "new, objective forumer" act that you came here with?

Jams

Post Number: 1408
Posted From: 68.79.118.31
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,
I in the habit of just ignoring you, but this one is great.

quote:

Jams, I don't know if you live in Detroit (and will be voting in Detroit), but you don't know anything about any of the candidates.

I've been very open on this forum regarding where I work (Downtown) and where I live (West Village). I think I may know quite a bit about all the candidates, I just refrain from posting personal opinions about them.

I would hope others refrain from posting gossip as well and stay focused on the REAL ISSUES!

Brian

Post Number: 2445
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams, there is something in each of these three candidates for all the voters to support. Each candidate represents a different viewpoint or vision for Detroit. If you can't choose between the ones that are offered, you won't have any idea of what you want once Detroit has a new mayor.

OR to put it another way, if the candidates are not telling you what you want to hear, tell them what you want them to say. Make your candidate. Don't wait for others to make a candidate for you.

But since you like to ignore me, and since you stated, \white"I'm not thrilled with any of the "apparent" candidates, and I wish we had better choices."} to a post that wasn't necessarily aimed at you, I'll see you next year when you are complaining that the mayor is doing something you want her to do.

Helmut needs to drop out if he can't even pick up someone like jams support.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 135
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if the candidates are not telling you what you want to hear, tell them what you want them to say...and invite them to lie to your face just so they can get your vote...

Brian

Post Number: 2447
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With an attitude like that, I shall be picking your political leaders for the rest of your life.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4133
Posted From: 69.242.212.64
Posted on Sunday, March 20, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Can I have a gay one, Brian? Thanks.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1452
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, why did you choose Bush and why did McPhail give Sambo Awards to the other candidates you picked? LOL.

Brian

Post Number: 2448
Posted From: 67.37.83.98
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps I had a headache on that day. But since I made the choice, per your post, the power was mine. Why did you let those who voted for Bush or those who received an award , prevail?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 136
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

certainly not for not trying - but when ignorant masses vote based on soundbites and misrepresentatons put forth by pandering politicos it's that much more important to look closely at a candidate's history to see what they're really about. Pitch me your plan, tell me what you're going to do in office, don't ask me what I want after you've decided to run. If I agree with you and think you can get the job done I'll vote for you, maybe even work for you. But if you switch positions based on your poll numbers you're not worthy of office.

Jams

Post Number: 1409
Posted From: 68.79.98.13
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 7:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,
I am currently a simple bartender.

I have various degrees of friendship and acquaintanceships with members of all of the candidate's staffs. All of them know I am disappointed with the choices, yet they all talk to me about the campaigns.

As others on this forum, I will not post things I have been told, if it might endanger someone's job or position because it might be traced back to them.

Be careful, who you call out. Some of us may actually know a bit more than you.

Still waiting for the discussion of Real Issues

(Message edited by JamS on March 21, 2005)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3240
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Zulu for providing us with the real information. It's easy to repeat what some drunken baffoon at a bar told you, especially when you are also bafoonish and your interests are served by the gossip, but it is hardly trustworthy information. It is clear the Sharon McPhail DetroitYES Brownshirts have little desire to see the truth getting in the way of their two-bit, banana republic propaganda campaign.

douche
"There are no other candidates. Sharon McPhail is the only candidate because no one would vote for anyone else."

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 2347
Posted From: 63.84.207.67
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Helmut needs to drop out if he can't even pick up someone like jams support.

OR PERHAPS SHARON NEEDS TO DROP OUT.

The logic goes both ways.

Give it a fucking rest already Brian and let the candidates present their plans without your little gestapo tactics on this forum.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2821
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, mon ami .... your facts are wayyyy off base this time regarding the polls, sorry to say it; but you've been fed some mis-information (still wondering about the "out-houses" in Detroit as reported by the Census Bureau too!! lol).

Polls of that nature ALWAYS carry the +/- 5%. Kinda like a studies that conclude with "further study needs to be done." thingy that everyone that has taken a college research class is taught to include in their summations. I'd begin to worry when the schitt drops below +/-5%, especially from an out-of-Detroit-not-working-wit h-to-many Black-folk type of company, or one that prognosticates +/- 10-20% results. Until then ..... wellllll, so much for "media" driven propaganda.

The real survey will be held in August .... using rules/laws that state most of the posters up-in-here won't be permitted to participate in that survey (either by age or location) regardless of their emotional rantings.

I just LUV how ILD stirred up the pot!! Good going .... has me laughing my Black ass off at the "reactionary" responses in an election year. Even the barkeep is chiming in! Go figure .....

Here's another, "What If" for ya ..... What if Fre is just positioning himself for a Congressional run to Washington??? and never told dem white folk???? Postulate on that one for a few ....

Black-atcha .....

Jelk

Post Number: 3245
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real poll is in August. I hear you loud and clear on that one Ras. Who could forget all the jawing last summer from folks convinced Steve Tobbocman was going to lose in his re-election bid. Sure enough come August ("the real poll") Tobbocman drummed the field, winning two votes for every vote the rest of the field won.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1429
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"winning" is the piviotal word.....

Supersport

Post Number: 6307
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at Ras using "mon ami." Typical French neo-colonialist schitt! LMAO

Brian

Post Number: 2451
Posted From: 63.69.106.5
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin makes a good point. And his What if is an interesting question.

Helmut or Freman has been told that he is the weakest candidate. The pressure is on him to survive August. People give Kwame and Sharon stronger reasons to be in the race after August.

If by May Helmut's numbers have not moved, he will lose all of his support and only retain those devoted to a cause. Thus far all candidates have not budged. KK and Sharon are still battling for the top position while Helmut is picking up the rear. Not where you want your candidate to be at this time.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 68.40.13.185
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lately you guys keep saying only Sharon's name. Whatever happened to the power of 2? Where did Benny go?

Quinn

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember you guys said he was dropping out. Or your pal Pete said it and you agreed. You must know more than I do.

Rasputin

Post Number: 2827
Posted From: 68.252.70.198
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Methinks my ballot will have Sharon McPhail's name on it, not Benny Napoleon. Go figure .... as I still deal with the real; not political propaganda.

Black-atcha ..... wodering what the poster's point was??? or did he have a point to make???

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.14.122.181
Posted on Monday, March 21, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

There are two issues regarding polls.

The margin of error (i.e., +/- 5%) is a function of the number of people polled. Plus or minus 5 percent means that the polling organization interviewed approximately 400 people for the survey (assuming a 95% confidence interval).

For the presidential polls, the news organizations will specify a +/-3% margin of error, which requires a sample size of about 1,000 people. So there is diminishing cost of returns for the reduced margin of error.

And as you suspect, the pollsters try to reduce the sampling bias. Usually by polling only "likely voters" compared to "all people" among other demographic factors. But this will affect the overall accuracy of the poll, not the margin of error.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 131
Posted From: 68.42.173.147
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I won't be surprised if Freman drops out of the race early. If his money is short and he's unable to create some excitement, he'll be out before the filing deadline.

Maybe Jennifer will offer him something with the State since that's where several former Archerites landed.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1199
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"McPhail Math":

3rd place in fundraising = 2nd place in fundraising

6,000 jobs cut = 0 jobs cut

Rasputin

Post Number: 2831
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess what, resident??? Those SoBs don't know who a "likely voter" is!! Go figure .... on using a random datbase from the electronic "white pages" in a specific locale or district/precinct!! Dial the number, then hope someone answers; while keeping your fingers crossed that the person answering will become a respondent!!

Not even MIRA has bumped the voting records to determine the likihood of voting!! Go figure ....

and btw: I'm well aware of the stats and their interpretations ... thank you.

Black-atcha .....

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You go Ras!

Most of these fools don't even live in the city (most of Freman's supporters)...I still beleive he will drop out. 3rd in a REAL poll and I bet you he is last in money raising. McPhails is having a TON of events and do you really think she would invest in a Harvard educator with 30 years of political management experience if she did not have money? Anyone who underestimates Shaorn and Benny is a fool! Their grass roots support in Detroit is STRONG.

Jelk

Post Number: 3253
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Those SoBs don't know who a "likely voter" is!!

What they have the Juan Martinez campaign running the polling services now? Ahh, its all just conjecture because everyone know the Power of Three will carry the day for the LaMar Lemmonses!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think that Freman will drop out, too much support out there especially among senior, church folk, and city workers and teachers. Many of whom live in the city and vote early.

McPhail is definately last in cash, but thats nothing new...

She outpaced a decent funded candidate Art Blackwell to get to the primary against Archer. As she ran with the "You Go Girl" slogan....

The "Power of Two" isnt as catchy, but she still has more than a fighting chance.

The real issue is how the mayor stands. His numbers are low, but with the trickeration factor one never knows.

I will say this to people who say Freman doenst have the money- You cant have it both ways.

Either he has out-of-Detroit support and the money along with it or he has no money and no out of detroit support.

Gotta be either or, Cant be both.

Quinn

Post Number: 124
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu...he posted 147k. Sounds like he's got alotta lip-flapping support in the burbs...just not the type that is willing to give money. And that's what counts.

Think about it...all we've heard about is how he's really excited the burbs and gotten tons of support...people basically screaming out in support for him when they go to these house parties...little old ladies weeping and praying for him...big business house wives talking amongst themselves...birmingham, bloomfield hills, royal oak, all the big money burbs...and for what...

pfffft...$147k? It's like premature ejaculation.

Sharon hasn't posted yet so how is she last in cash. All we know right not is Kwame's first.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 163
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the day as Metro likes to remind me when "I supported Freman"...I went to one of his house parties in Birmingham (man I hate going north of 8 mile)...and it was ALL suburban I was one of two Detroiters in the room (of 30-40 people)....I got the usual "ohhh is it safe where you live?" Remember it well...I should have ran from Freman then but saw the light for McPhail in November.

Quinn

Post Number: 126
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilove...did you see alot of check writing there? Alot has been said about these house parties (I never went to one nor was I invited), was it all fluff? Were people really that receptive?

I can't imagine these were as successful as everyone in the helmut campaign says...basically he's been doing this for a freakin' year and only $147,000 out of it?

Either way, makes Helmut head look like a looser. Maybe now that he arrives in a cadillac they will give more money. Ya that's it.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately Quinn, the question is better phrased- "how much was raised and when, and for what purpose?"

He posted 147K, but when was that? How much has been raised since then? All the major candidiates have spent money here and there, what did they spend it on? Sharon has posted less than that, but she has been gettihn more money since that was posted, too.

Sharon has had billboards up for some time. When were they paid for, and by whom? Campaign contributions or inkind favors? Are they on the pay-as-you-go plan?

There's always a way to make dollars last longer, and always other non monetary contributions...

On top of all this, it only matters what the voters think. The mayor had $3M but does he have that still? Does he have more? Does he have less? Does it change your vote? Not likely.

btw quinn, to answer why she's third-gotta read this:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/me tro/0503/03/C01-104794.htm

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 165
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn- You know the funny thing about that event was that I don't remember check writing...but I do remember him asking what needed to happen to fix Detroit. And now that I think about it why the f**k was he asking suburbanites what they thought? As a proud Detroiter I don't give a rat's ass about what Ma and Pa Suburbanite in their tacky look-a-like McMansions think about my city!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Sharon isnt fundraising in Ecorse, Plymouth, or Chicago?

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Sharon goes to Southfield begging for dough. So Kwame goes to the Birmingham Temple (a temple for Humanistic Jews) in Farmington Hills. So supporters through a fundraiser for a candidate north of 8 Mile. So what? Detroit is alot more than the city proper. It is still important to the region. And the suburbs are very important to Detroit. Politicians know that campaigns cost money. Alot of money. And alot of money is not what Detroit or Detroiters have. (Why did Willy Sutton rob banks?)

Brian

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters, that is Detroit residents, have over $11 Billion in disposable income per year. That is alot of money.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 789
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, that's almost $13,000 for very man, women and child in the city. Disposable income? You sure? Your source is?

And whatever your answer, compared to anywhere else in metro Detroit, it's less. In other words, there is other money out there. (And that's why Willy Sutton robs banks, because that's where the money is.)

Brian

Post Number: 2459
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that Helmut's crime plan, tell the criminals that Detroiters don't have any money so they will go and rob someone else?

Are those persons in the city getting robbed wealthy?

And so Helmut has made up his mind to go after suburban dollars and ignore his neighbors in Detroit. His own community. Will this be the window into a Helmut administration? A suburban financed mayor? He would not be the first, but only someone like Helmut could dismiss those who would vote for him as if they have nothing to offer his campaign.

You also managed to get your reference to your Willy in there. Hmmm. Anxious about tonight?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 792
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, call Brenda Lawrence's office and find out when th esoiree is where McFail will be hitting up her recent neighbors for campaign cash. See you in Southfield. Putz.

Brian

Post Number: 2460
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So neither you or Helmut picked up a copy of the census or bothered to read any of the stats while he was in Archr's administration for 8 years. What is Helmut going to base his leadership on, how he directed the financial oversight of Detroit Public Schools?

What will Helmut be doing in Southfield? Is he looking up Mildred and all those middle class Black folks that he and Mildred have said left Detroit? Will he beg them to come back or just ask them for their money?

And by your last post it looks like the mayor of Southfield is not supporting of Helmut's campaign.

What will you be doing at Brenda's looking for a job when Helmut drops out?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1062
Posted From: 69.213.81.174
Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My relatives were at the Freeman TownHall meeting. Do not vote for this fool since he believes principals and assistant principals should not have a union or collective bargaining rights. He has just alienated a huge segment of the Detroit voting population. He is a nut!

AIW, principals and assistant principals have lost their power under this Burnley regime. Principals have lost pay, was never paid fully what was on their contract, and many are simply retiring (those with over 25 years in the school district.) Detroit is the ONLY SCHOOL DISTRICT in the STATE OF MICHIGAN does not have a union for its principals and assistant principals. The State Legislature took Detroit's principals and assistant principals out of a union, but did not do the same for other school districts. HYPOCRITES! Racism too.

There are DPS teachers making more money than principals and assistant principals. Since when the hell was that right? Why should teachers have a union but not principals and assistant principals? They are at will under the Burnley regime.

Let the principals leave. I would love to see "teachers" try to run a school, balance the budget, deal with discipline, represent the schools, and the list goes on. Detroit principals and assistant principals ARE NOT MANAGEMENT. Burnley has ALL POWER. GIVE US BACK OUR BARGAINING RIGHTS!!!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" thanks for the "report" on another one of the "meetings that you've been to". Was it 25% "Bloomfield housewives"...60%...or were you really just at home watching "Desperate Housewives?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3064
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm wondering, does Sharon reject all donations from people living outside the city? Would her supporters be willing to hold their own candidate to the same standards they hold Freman to when it comes to suburban support?

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how Ltorivia485 feels about David Snead and his tenure as Superintendent before the DPS take over?

Brian

Post Number: 2464
Posted From: 67.37.84.48
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Zulu? It has nothing to do with what Ltorivia485 stated.

An elected board hired Snead. He did not change the system nor did he create the problems DPS faces today.

Burnley was hired by Helmut when he was president of the appointed board. The people didn't select Helmut to run the board nor did the people have any input into the selection of Burnley. Helmut even used the police to remove people who wanted more input during the school board meetings which is the time when the community is supposed to have a right to provide their input.

Ltorivia485 is correct, principals are not management. But Burnley and Engler elevated them to management status and has created the largest management pool of any school district in Michigan. IF the principals are now management, why does Burnley continue to hire executives and pay them over $100k in salary? He just hired three of them two weeks ago.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 171
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - Yes, Metro I was at a Freman house event. The home of David Welsh in B'ham. Go check it out. Maybe you were there salivating over every word that Freman said.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1063
Posted From: 69.212.52.109
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, did you watch the Tatum Eason show last night? Over 40 DPS principals and assistant principals are RETIRING. (Yes Zulu and AIW, you heard me, RETIRING). Instead of suffering ongoing stress, little control over their schools and salary, and being employees at will under Burnley, these people are leaving the district!

The number of special education children in Detroit have also skyrocketed these last five years (and I strongly feel Burnley is behind this...after all a special ed kid is $30,000 vs. $7000 for a regular kid.) He should be ashamed of himself for being so greedy. DPS has become probably over 1/3 special ed kids now since every high school has a significant population of them.

I bet you 100% if principals and assistant principals had their collective bargaining rights, retirement would not be the only option. Who will replace these schools, AIW and Zulu? The replacements won't have the seniority and experience these people dedicated 25, 30 and even 40 years in the system. This is a sad day for Detroit Public Schools.

The_aram

Post Number: 3067
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The number of special education children in Detroit have also skyrocketed these last five years (and I strongly feel Burnley is behind this...after all a special ed kid is $30,000 vs. $7000 for a regular kid.) He should be ashamed of himself for being so greedy. DPS has become probably over 1/3 special ed kids now since every high school has a significant population of them. "
So special education students shouldn't get an education?

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree ltorivia485....

The placement of the blame is my issue. There are several people who have played a part in it- Engler, the State legislature including Kilpatrick's tenure there, the Reform board which will come to an end and all the players there. Freman was there but so was Bill Brooks, Belda Garza, and all the other players. People target Burnley, but no blame goes to Kilpatrick for choosing Adams from DPS ranks to be in in the top circle?

Brian says that Snead was appointed by an elected body and didnt cause the problems we have today- Correct. But who did? McGriff? Jefferson? Adamany? Porter? Green? other DPS administrators ?

What about the prior school board, did they have a role? Lets name those names.

DPS has challenges- but the biggest challenge was that people didnt beleive that their system was worth anything, when it was one of the best in the counrty doing what it does, educating black students.

I have more on this later but I'm just getting warmed up...

Jelk

Post Number: 3266
Posted From: 141.217.119.205
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk

Post Number: 3267
Posted From: 141.217.119.205
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1000 posts!

That's the Power of Three...Lemmonses For Mayor

Brian

Post Number: 2467
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485, the issue of special ed students is really going to be a problem for the newly elected board. But while Burnley is changing the numbers, the state also has its hands in the mix. They set the criteria and the rules. Those test score just don't count for scholarships, nor are they used in determining good schools.

Zulu,

quote:

DPS has challenges- but the biggest challenge was that people didnt beleive that their system was worth anything, when it was one of the best in the counrty doing what it does, educating black students.

What? And you attempt to say that previous elected boards and their hired super's were responsible.

The verdict is in that the reform board really fukked up DPS. Kilpatrick was supportive of the legislation, he voted against it after he voted for it, but Archer and Engler bear the responsibility. It began under their watch and as a result of their lobbying and dealmaking.

Helmut was the first chairman after requesting to be its first chairman. He could have let other more qualified people do that job. Helmut and his co-campaign worker Mildred like to say how qualified people need to run the schools. But Helmut was never an educator nor had he every run ANYTHING. He never ha authority over any office where he controlled the budget. Helmut has always been an employee. That is why his motto of leadership is a tough sell. You have to be a leader in order to promise leadership. His tenure as Chairman was a failure. (Perhaps if Burnley turned out to be great or if the commuity had also supported Burnley then Helmut would be off the hook. But the community asked for anyone but Burnley back when Helmut was using the police to block the doors and toss folks out onto the street. Helmut was warned that Burnley was bad news. Burnley left his Colorado school district in the exact same financial mess as DPS is now facing. This was not the economy, it was purely the takeover, the hiring of Burnley, the political agendas of Archer and Engler and the failed LEADERSHIP of Helmut Freman Hendrix as First Chairman of the Reform Board. Some Reform. Now if fits the critics who called it Deform. )

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1065
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The-aram, don't try to dump the special education kids on career and technical schools, which require technical reading and advanced math in their curriculum. Some of these special ed high school students are only reading at the 2nd-3rd grade level. How can they do automotive service, cosmotology, hospitality, finance, etc. which they all require technical reading and communication?

What can you do with them when once they leave high school they are underqualified (or have mental and physical handicaps) for employment because they are reading at an elementary level? And it upsets me because most of these students are black boys.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1066
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, it's almost like American public education has become the new plantation slavery along with the prison-industrial complex. Label these black boys as special ed so that can be worth more ($30,000 vs. $7000) to the district but the tradeoff is they become dumb and retarded by the time they enter high school. Because they can't read, they act up and commit crimes. That feeds into the prison-industrial complex.

This just makes me sick!!!

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1447
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the plan all along Ltorivia485, but to do it with all public eductation and find a way to get to the large dollars that were out of the private sector reach.

Brian, the process by which we got here is strewn with the names of various people. The schools face a fiscal crisis for sure, and that's due to the takeover. That means that there were those who didn't stand up and those who stood for the wrong thing.

I put a list of the names so they all can be included in the discuss. Let Freman take the blame where his, but let everyone else get their share. Snead is long gone, but was the last superintenedent before the take over. I asked Ltorivia485 what their take was on him- no response, perhaps he/she doesnt have an opinion given age, or proximity, or what ever. He left with a golden parachute and is having fun on the east coast. What's his take on the current situatation? Ms. McPhail would be wise to get his opinion on school matters because he was effective as a superinendent. He should come help campaign with the DFT membership, maybe she'll get their endorsement.

There was only one previous elected board referred to- the one that hired Snead (Green was interim. all the rest were appointed by Kilpatrick and Archer. Who is the current mayor's rep on the board now?

You seek to lay blame on Hendrix, but place nothing on anyone else. It not factual or accurate. I can appreiciate your support of McPhail as she is a person of ideas and passion. The voters will decide if she is the one to lead this next juncture of Detroit's existance, but Detroiters want the truth, the whole and complete truth, so they can make their decisions correctly. They dont want lies from McPhail, Kilpatrick, or Hendrix or their repective jaffa. Lets have an honest debate....

Brian

Post Number: 2468
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, you want an honest debate then understand the terms and the issues. The DFT lobbied for the takeover under Elliot. The didn't like Snead or any of the hired super's because they faced them at the bargaining table among other things. They thought they would get a better deal with Archer running the show. Big Mistake. Snead didn't have a part in the takeover. He was an employee of the board. He left after he was through and that is the end of Sneads tenure. Also, you don't know what Snead has disussed with his spouse. But based on your own statements, it would seem Sharon McPhail would be the best qualified mayor in terms of the mayors relationship to a school board. She would have excellent counsel. If you don't agree, then the issue of Snead should never have been raised.

Helmut was the first Chairman. He oversaw Adamany and then hired Burnley. Under state law, the current board has to be unanimous to fire Burnley. The current Board, while filled with mayoral appointees, has not agreed to fire Burnley. Under state law, Burnley can do anything he wants without approval from the Board. As I said above, Helmut hired the man, he was warned that the man was not a good choice. He ignored the warnings. (Just like Archer ignored the advice about casinos on the riverfront.) Now the blame has to be placed at the source. Engler may have taken over the district and Archer with along with the state repubs might have helped, but it was Helmut's handling of the responsibility of selecting the CEO that has him running DPS. These are not lies, these are facts. Who cares who stood up and asked or fought the takeover. That is old news, they must answer for their actiosn in their own way. Those state reps who supported the takeover will have to answer to their districts. Just like Helmut must answer for his role as a candidate. Sharon McPhail fought the takeover while it was under discussion and afterwards in court.

As for the DFT, their votes are compromised. They have their own internal problems they have to deal with. I would assume their endorsement will be meaningless in this election. Too many factions within that are going their own way.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 795
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try at revusionist history. If the facts don't suit your worldview Bruian you obviously feel free to change the facts. Freman Hendrix didn't hire Burnley, the Board did. Freman Hendrix was appointed by Archer to serve on a board that was created by the Engler administration in Lansing. Archer was forced to make the best of a bad situation. Freman Hendrix was one person on the Board. Brian needs to blame Freman Hendrix for DPS's and Detroit's current fiscal crisis. It's asinine, but that's Brian.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem here is that were debating to different issues.

Personally, I like Snead, and thought he was a decent Superintendent from an educators perspective. I was with him when he found out he wasnt selected when they went with McGriff. What I wanted to know from ltorivia485 is what he/she though of him as a superintendent from her perspective as a DPS employee....since he was the last appointed superintendent and had the power to negotiate contracts and the like.

I wasnt debating his relationship to the take over which falls soley on Engler and the legislators who were complicit in this effort. Moreover, I feel that a number of people had their issues with this, who can clearly debate all the angles?

The only facts that are completely true is that it happened, and it will soon end. All else is irrelevant.

And I am still waiting for Ltorivia's answer....

Brian

Post Number: 2469
Posted From: 68.73.32.151
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From another chat site, notice the newspaper articles.

quote:

Freman Hendrix lied about not supporting the school takeover. According to information in the above article written by Brian Haron, dated May 5, 2005--Freman Hendrix is quoted, (....A Calculated Gamble...Gattorn of the Detroit Regional Chamber added: "Freman has to be admired. Too many politicians only sail the safe courses," For Hendrix, the potential political upside was too great. "THE MAYOR DIDN'T COME TO ME AND SAY "I NEED YOU TO DO THIS. I (FREMAN) ACTUALLY WENT TO HIM AND SAID "YOU NEED ME ON THIS BOARD (REFORM) SO I THINK YOU SHOULD APPOINT ME," HE SAIID.

FREMAN BEGGED TO BE ON THE REFORM BOARD! FREMAN WAS ALWAYS IN SUPPORT OF THE 1999 SCHOOL TAKEOVER.

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

You got that right. But now on February 12th, 2005, at a candidates forum at the Black Star Bookstore, Helmut Freman Hendrix had the balls to look the crowd in the eye a say the following with a straight face:

"I was against, the takeover but duty bound to obey the law."

One wonders how long did he practice that line in front of the mirror at home …hmmmm….

http://www.detroitdrums.com/di scus/messages/8/63.html?111128 8568

Same link,

quote:

Check Out News article: Dated Apri 10, 1999 titled NEW SCHOOL BOARD HOPES TO GET CLOSER TO THE PUBLIC, written by Darci McConnell

(.....I'm really excited at kind of kicking off this first meeting to set a tone of ethusiasm where we are going to take this system, with the help of the community..."Hendrix said.

At the point Hendrix KICK OUR BEHINDS!

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
By HE TAKEOVER PLAN IN 1997 on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 05:53 pm: Edit Post
Check Out the article dated April 1, 1997 Titled "ARCHER PUSHES PLAN FOR SCHOOLS, written byy Jennifer Juarez Robles and Peggy Walsh Sarnecki...."THERE'S NO LEGISLATIVE WHATSOEVER THAT CAUSES A TAKEOVER," ARCHER SAID.

FREMAN KNEW OF THHE PLAN IN 1997!

By School at Risk on Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 06:02 pm: Edit Post
Both Freman Hendrix and Mayor Kilpatrick supports Dr. Burnley. Burnley refused to quit after Chairman Bill Brooks requests it.

Freman supports Robert Thompson's charter school plan

Brian

Post Number: 2470
Posted From: 68.73.32.151
Posted on Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Helmut opposed the takeover, after he lobbied for the takeover.

Helmut says that Archer needed him on that board, (Helmut) wanted to be on that board but not that Helmut was on that board he can't handle the truth.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Freman Hendrix lied about not supporting the school takeover. According to information in the above article written by Brian Haron, dated May 5, 2005--Freman Hendrix is quoted, (....A Calculated Gamble..."

Wow Brian, a newspaper from the future!! Hmmm, what's the real source?

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 4.229.120.138
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freman is floating hot air again with campaign promises when it comes to our children. He recently released his plan for summer youth employment. Absolutely amazing! and he told the preachers this big A lie. He has a plan to ask city contractors to employ 10,000 youth at hourly rates between $6-10, for at least 20 hours a week. With all the grown people with kids out of work in this city, he thinks voters will believe this? Details Freman, DETAILS. It's stuff like this that people should question. Freman really should hire a campaign manager, get serious, or get out of the way.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1217
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia, maybe voters will question why the Mayor of Chicago (among other cities) has such a program while the Mayor of Detroit does not? Absolutely amazing indeed! Why can't we have that here Mr. Kilpatrick? It's stuff like this that people should question.

Amelia

Post Number: 261
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14% unemployment rate in Detroit. Perhaps all the jobs are in CHICAGO!! go dip it metroboy!

Bindetroit

Post Number: 807
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At the risk of being:
The Kilpatrick plan to combat unemployment includes "one of the toughest budgets ever presented to council. It will cut spending, it will eliminate programs," and it will unnecessarily include massive layoffs. The McPhail Plan is similar, but we have already been given greater detail: 6,000 layoffs within her first year.

Amelia

Post Number: 262
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

which details?? the day she said it is, or the day she said it ain't?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago has endless job opportunitis; Detroit does not.

Right now, I'm wondering if I should get a summer job in Chicago versus Detroit. I would hate to pay for living expenses in Chicago....

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Thursday, March 24, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia, as Mayor Kilpatrick keeps saying, "other cities are doing this and that too!" or does that only apply selectively (excuses)?

Amelia

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's another reason we don't need to bring back freman ...THE REAL CROOKS

Amelia

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one more time ... ...THE REAL CROOKS

Quinn

Post Number: 157
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When is Freman planning on hiring a campaign manager? I know he tapped a Sharon volunteer to be the one, but he said no (this was before the volunteer started with Sharon and Benny a few months back).

Seriously, does anyone on this forum know what's up with his campaign?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 837
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia - Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice. The real crooks are here too.

March 28, 2005

DETROIT

Second chances are all around
Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick made it clear in his State of the City address last Tuesday that he believes in second chances.

Besides asking Detroiters to give him that second chance, Kilpatrick made a point of saluting the late Kay Everett, a city councilwoman who might have needed a second chance if she hadn't died while under federal indictment. (Hizzoner tastefully neglected to mention Everett's legal entanglement.)

He also acknowledged the good works of Charlie Beckham, a mover and shaker in the political and business community who was convicted of taking a bribe in 1980. Beckham, who ran against Kilpatrick in 2001, now runs the city's Recreation Department for the mayor.

Then there was Bobby Ferguson, one of the mayor's best friends, who watched the speech from a balcony in Orchestra Hall. Ferguson, who the mayor chose to advise him on cleaning up the city, is scheduled to go to trial April 18 in Wayne County Circuit Court on felony assault and gun charges. Fifteen years ago, he beat an attempted murder rap when a witness failed to show up in court.

Finally, sitting comfortably in the first 10 rows of the packed hall, was Keith Stallworth. Clearly, the sentence of three years of probation, six months of home confinement and 100 hours of community service he received from a federal judge last year for converting $20,000 in drug proceeds into cashier's checks and lying about the source of money wasn't enough to cost the former strip club owner, state representative and county commissioner his primo seat.

By M.L. Elrick

Amelia

Post Number: 308
Posted From: 4.229.108.251
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD: Then what's YOUR point? My point is ... you can find it anywhere you look for it, everywhere. Detroit, Chicago, Clinton Twnshp., LA. Archer, Freman, Sharon. So, why do you spend a month on a navigator lease? You know, THE REALLY BIG ONE!! So, why don't I post all of Freman's, then let you list some more of Kwame's, then I post some REAL shit, on sharon. Then you find some REAL shit on Kwame... Then let all the undecided voters pray for forgiveness and vote for whoever looks good on election day! That's how Bush got elected.

Supersport

Post Number: 6457
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there is Sharon and the McPhailures. She tried to work the system by working for a neighboring suburb while employed as a CC member in Detroit. She suggested that Kwame or his thugs may have rigged up her chair. Here childist like antics drove another CC member to damn near the point of throwing down. (atleast Kwame has a posse to push folks around) Lastly, lets not forget her partaking in "Callin' out" a Detroiter who employs 1,400 people here in Detroit. 70% of which are Detroiters. She is by far the most racist of the bunch, whether her words or not, she participated in a gathering that called folks out based upon race.

Can you imagine if up in Oakland County a CC member in one of their cities took part in a little get together....for comical purposes. Where this white individual accused other CC members of talking white, but voting black. Man, imagine the outrage and protests that would ensue!

Sharon and the McPhailures antics would set this city back 25 years in regards to progress. I'm personally hoping Benny Napoleon jumps in a lifeboat and gets a safe distance away before he goes down with the ship.

Amelia

Post Number: 309
Posted From: 4.229.108.251
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW: BD you are one sick duck to criticize the acknowledgment of Kay Everett. You sound like Greg Bowen. Remember the Archer/Hendrix press guy who picked up prostitutes!!!

(Message edited by amelia on March 28, 2005)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"When is Freman planning on hiring a campaign manager? (1) I know he tapped a Sharon volunteer to be the one, but he said no (this was before the volunteer started with Sharon and Benny a few months back). (2)"

I count 2 complete lies in Quinn's post.

"14% unemployment rate in Detroit".

Amelia, funny that you cite this as the reason that Detroit cannot have a summer youth employment program. It's also funny that you didn't acknowledge the 40% HS drop-out rate and the 11-13% college degreed rate in the city as significant contributors to the high unemployment rate.

Amelia

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 4.229.12.187
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MetroBoy: now i know you have lost your mind. you don't know what pressure is REALLY coming at you and freman do you!!! you can't even complete a thought. Are you finished yet? are ya' sweatin' to the oldies? :-)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Amelia, once again no answers and more excuses. "Other cities are doing this-and-that" except where that excuse can't "help you". Please don't feel your job threatend by some high school kids coming in during the summer. Talk about not knowing what's REALLY coming at you and Kilpatrick! You really will lose your minds! :-)

Amelia

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 4.229.90.130
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metroboy: If the only way you're going to get a job is through freman's summer youth challenge then I do understand your desperation. By the way, one of the businesses I own, and have owned in this city since 1974, will need a plumber in a few weeks. We do hire detroiters with skills and education. I think I know a little about who gets hired and who doesn't in this city, and why. As far as my JOB being threatened, I have a mission and purpose - not a job. You need to get a life too.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 231
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia - I am so glad to see that someone else other than me completely disagrees with Metro!

Brian

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sport you make many false statements in your recent post. Statements you know to be false yet you have continue to ignore the truth. but this statement, called folks out based upon race is a fabrication. No where did it say that anything was based on race. This is another example of your ignorance. You hear or think something exists for a reason and you believe it to be so. You cite yourself as a source. You have no basis of proof of your statement. At least the other false statements you made originated in the media or other sources. But this one is all yours. Its a perfect example of white supremacist thinking. Labeling an issue you don't like and don't understand negatively in hopes to make others not like it and not want to be a part of it.

I wonder if you write the same things about Rush Limbaugh or Fox News? I never see any of your posts reference them as they do make frequent comments on Detroit.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 840
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bri you make many false statements in your recent post. Statements you know to be false yet you have continue to ignore the truth. but this statement, called folks out based upon anything other than race is a fabrication. No where did it say that anything was based on anything other than race. This is another example of your ignorance. You hear or think something exists for a reason and you believe it to be so. You cite yourself as a source. You have no basis of proof of your statement. At least the other false statements you made originated in the media or other sources. But this one is all yours. Its a perfect example of your racist thinking. Labeling an issue you don't like and don't understand negatively in hopes to make others not like it and not want to be a part of it.

I wonder if you write the same things about Al Sharpton or WJLB? I never see any of your posts reference them as they do make frequent comments on Detroit.

Brian

Post Number: 2511
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, its good that you know how to mimic. At least it shows you are reading. Comprehension on your part on the other hand is still in question.

Its interesting though the people you chose, Al Sharpton and then WJLB. BIG boosters of Detroit. I cannot point to anything negative that either has said or done against the city. Unlike Rush, Sean or Bill.

Is this an indication that Hemlut is opposite where Sharpton is with the issues affecting Detroit? Sharpton took Detroit in the presidential primary. He is not someone to disregard in terms of a wanna be somebody who thinks he has a chance to get elected.

WJLB is a big force amongts the youth. KK has many youth still supporting him in his efforts. Helmut does not have a strong youth contigent. If you begin criticizing the biggest station that reaches the most people in the city your campaign will fail even faster than it already is falling.

Helmut will definately have to drop out of the race!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1256
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Helmet does not have a strong youth contigent".

Another completely false assertion from Brian. Hendrix and Kilpatrick have the strongest "youth" support. Unfortunately for you, that statement would only be true for your candidate (McPhail).

"I think I know a little about who gets hired and who doesn't in this city, and why." -Amelia

Yet the best you could do was name-calling and citing the high unemployment rate as the reason there isn't a summer youth employment program in Detroit.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1099
Posted From: 199.74.93.54
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, do you have a source to back that claim for Hendrix?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia48, why didn't you ask that question sooner (as in, of Brian)?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1101
Posted From: 129.105.104.126
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, just answer my question:

Metro, do you have a source to back that claim for Hendrix?

I don't recall Hendrix having strong youth support. Kwame on the other hand does and the sources are out there.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485, it goes both ways. Just answer my question. Do you have a source to back up your counter-claim about Hendrix? Also, what are your other sources about Kilpatrick?

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1102
Posted From: 199.74.93.54
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I asked first, Metro. You answer first.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485, I (originally) made a point and you countered it. The burden of proof is on you to back up your counter-claims.

Brian

Post Number: 2515
Posted From: 67.37.84.197
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I repeat,

Helmut does not have a strong youth contigent.

except for MD who acts like a youth.

But what does it matter, Mildred said she was going to go live with Helmut's poll on the air. I'm waiting to see just what questions he asked folks.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So again Brian, nothing of substance only repeating a false accusation with no supporting evidence and name-calling.

Brian

Post Number: 2517
Posted From: 67.37.84.197
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The polls are out there MD and the results show who is getting or not getting support. If after August its a race between McPhail and Helmut then perhaps you can say I was wrong. But that is assuming Helmut does not lose in the primary.

AS for the name calling, I was refering to your post @ Posted on Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 12:48 am: as one good example, but there are many others.

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 553
Posted From: 12.75.22.238
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Channel 7 poll is showing Hendrix with a slight lead in a three way with the mayor and McPhail tied, with the usual margins of error, but they show him trouncing either of those opponents by a wide margin when it's down to a two candidate race. Something to chew on, with many months for him to either build on the momentum or blow it. That is, if he is running.

The_aram

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm...
But I thought he wasn't a serious candidate, and that he wasn't going to make it out of the primaries...

How's that gonna get spun by Sharon's legions?
iraqi
"There is no poll. Have no fear. Sharon is still in control."

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 69.214.181.158
Posted on Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://detnow.com/wxyz/nw_loca l_news/article/0,2132,WXYZ_159 24_3677299,00.html

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tie a knot in this thread, fred.

Supersport

Post Number: 8117
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Freman Hendrix has raised more than three times as much money as Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick this year in what, with 3 1/2 months to go before the general election, is already the most expensive mayoral race in Detroit history."

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/mayor25e_20050725.htm

Laughing my ass off at Ilovedetroit right now! As he stated above:

quote:

Well, well I keep saying he hasn't got the guts to cut it? I just spent the last few hours at Agave with a group of folks. A very drunk exec from Illitch Industries is saying that Freman is going to have to drop out of the race because he cannot raise enough money to compete.

Just goes to show how idiotic some of the accusations have been.

Supersport

Post Number: 8270
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump...for Ilovedetroit's Ilitch buddy at Agave.

The_aram

Post Number: 3850
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iraqiguy
"There are no polling results. Sharon is still #1. I have never heard of this Hendrix fellow. Do not fear. Sharon is still in control."

Supersport

Post Number: 8280
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is hilarious!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 69.212.52.164
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram:
That guy would be perfect as the Big Diamond's new press secretary.