Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » I went to hear Sharon McPhail tonight « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4183
Posted From: 68.42.177.192
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended Sharon & Benny's appearance at Cafe de Troit tonight and got to ask a lot of questions. Here are some highlights:

1. You heard it here first: Sharon supports the creation of a "red light" district, wherein all the strip clubs are grouped together. She made it clear that she doesn't object to those businesses per se, but doesn't want them in neighborhoods.

2. She thinks putting police h.q. in the train station is "a stupid idea." She wants to build a new h.q. from the ground up.

3. She hasn't abandoned her dream of fully-funded college tuition for DPS graduates. She wants a system where, if a student attended DPS for eight years and graduated from a Detroit high school, you get a full ride. It's a cornerstone of her plan to repopulate the City. That, plus property tax relief, auto insurance reform and crime control.

4. She was surprisingly frank in her assessment of Freman and Kwame. She doesn't like them. She thinks they're both in politics mainly for personal profit. She said that in her first budget meeting with Kilpatrick after he was elected, he said, "Sharon, you worry too much about poor people." She repeated allegations posted earlier about financial shenanigans with Freman and McNamara cronies. (By the way, she calls him "Freman." Guess she didn't get the memo about calling him "Helmut.")

5. Her opinion of Helmut is different from her opinion of Dennis Archer. She liked Archer and respected him, even though they had different viewpoints on many issues. Then she said, "If people are supporting Hendrix because they think he's another Archer, they need to know that Hendrix ain't Archer." She also said that the Archer administration knew they needed to focus more on neighborhoods and that Hendrix had every opportunity to step into that role, like he did with the schools. He never did, she said.

5. I asked her about the Sambo awards. She said she attended the ceremoney because the Call Em Out Coalition represented a large constituency for her, with about 500 people. She described the awards akin to a "roast," all done in fun. She said kids did skits and told me that I should attend next year's ceremony. She said that her participation was unexpected - that she was asked at the last minute to read the nominees. She said that she didn't regret her participation at the function, but does regret its name. She thinks it should be called the "Sell Out Awards."

Personal Observations:

1. I got to chat with Benny one-on-one for a while before the event began. He's very smart, personable, funny and strikes me as a good guy.

2. Benny said that Pete Waldmeir was mistaken in saying that he is going to abandon the race. That was obvious in watching them together. They can finish each other's sentences and are very comfortable together. If he drops out of this race, I'll eat my hat.

3. Sharon isn't funny. Not "Al Gore Not Funny," but not as personable as Benny.

4. I wrote them a check.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 4184
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sb1

Itsjeff

Post Number: 4185
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to mention that we talked a little about the NY Times article regarding the lack of children in "booming" cities like Portland. (That story is linked in "non-Detroit issues.")She said that Detroit should be doing more to attract family-friendly areas and that she's a little chagrined that so much development is going into lofts and rowhouses with 4 stories of steps and no yardspace. She'd rather see development of neighborhoods and traditional houses, places more conducive to families with children.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2518
Posted From: 67.37.84.197
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Red light district usually means the strippers are working out doors. Did she really say or use that phrase?

But it seems my statement (and others) proved true with you, that folks who meet Sharon and listen to her and Benny they will support their campaign.

You were able to witness their teamwork fist hand. Glad to see you used real information to make your decision.

On another note, would you agree with the DetNews editorial by Nolan Finley?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She specifically used the term, "red light district," but I'm sure that she defines it as meaning all indoors.

We didn't bring up the News' editorial or the issue of reducing the ranks of City employees. I accept the facts that Sharon outlined in her letter to the editor denying having lied.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1103
Posted From: 199.74.93.54
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame Kilpatrick's comment that she "worried too much about poor people" is a true statement.

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 4.229.81.8
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

itsJeff: No, we didn't hear it first about sharon's red light district here. The strip club fight is old, she tried floating that when I represented businesses in New Center in a fight against one that tried to come in there. We won with the Mayor's help. Sharon flaped her wings about a "red light" district knowing that couldn't happen because of zoning. She created a lot of wind at the table but nothing else.

As far as her not liking loft development [not for families] this shows how much she doesn't understand urban CBD redevelopment in 2005. This should worry everybody on this forum!! nuff said

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1274
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Her opinion of Helmut is different from her opinion of Dennis Archer. She liked Archer and respected him, even though they had different viewpoints on many issues. Then she said, "If people are supporting Hendrix because they think he's another Archer, they need to know that Hendrix ain't Archer." -Itsjeff

That comment was McPhail's phony attempt at civility and professional behavior. During the 1993 mayoral campaign McPhail played the race card ("not Black enough"), city/suburban card, not to mention accusing Archer of sexual harassment. That comment was nothing more than a roundabout, cowardly attack on Hendrix while at the same time trying to measure her response, given Archer's high favorability ratings.

Amelia

Post Number: 324
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

part 2 of my rant: If Sharon wasn't so busy being so frank about her not liking the Mayor, while making up answers on the spot about building more homes to attract families, she would have heard about the EAST SIDE DEVELOPMENT. Places like morningside, fox creek, etc. and all the 3,000 homes on the drawing board. But, guess she would fight the new stuff like this when it comes to council too.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 69.242.221.202
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gimme a break with the rah rah, go big guy bullshII.

Amelia

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastside: Here's your rah rah GO BIG GUY ...
THIS IS WHAT KILPATRICK IS DOING

Eastside

Post Number: 196
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no question, this is a very positive project and I can give the mayor credit where it is due. I understand the need to focus on the positive, but you never admit of the negative...and there has been plenty of negative. Go ahead and rip McPhail, hell, she might be worthy of it, but I propose your big guy aint any better. Peace Amelia

Amelia

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

eastside: Remember, THIS IS BUSINESS, IT AIN'T PERSONAL. JUST GET THE JOB DONE, I WILL LEAVE THE RECALLING OF NEGATIVES TO YOU. this is what's really goin' on.

Eastside

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 4:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not in the mood for negatives Amelia...just honesty. I find your "This is business, it aint personal" thing charming. I agree with you! I'm kind of hoping the citizens of our great city fail to renew the contract of our current CEO come November. It's late...peace Amelia

Brian

Post Number: 2521
Posted From: 68.73.32.247
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another positive assesment of Sharon McPhail and folks are getting upset. You won't find this about Kilpatrick and Helmut's positives have been expressed by pointing out others negatives.

Amelia

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 4.229.120.162
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian:
Nobody is impressed with your "positive assessments" of Sharon, that's your problem. I countered you with facts, which actually support my positions on Kilpatrick. When you and sharon's supporters throw out "soap-opera speak" when it comes to issues like how do you bring this city back, you appear as amateurs and neophites. You will find that citizens and voters are more educated than your team about grassroot, "ground-up" Detroit solutions to many of our problems. If you don't catch up real soon, you will be dead in the water sooner than you think. You will also face the rath of the "loft dwellers". They vote, they got money, they got time to hunt you down and stone you to death with their "2-ways" [ya' see they don't have kids]. :-)

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 243
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff - Thank you for your positive comments I knew if you met Sharon/Benny you would feel that way. They are a great team and they have an excellent rapport together. I wish I could have been there last night but I was out of town for work.

To clarify Amelia on the strip clubs...Sharon has said that she is for a "sin city" type of area. She is not against strip clubs etc...but she wants them ALL in one area not sprawled across Detroit. We have 44 of the 72 clubs in Michigan (was the last number I saw)and guys come out of there all drunk and horned up yelling at whoever they see in the streets. Sharon would put them all in one area - manage it, police it and tax is accordingly. I see nothing wrong with this idea.

Amelia

Post Number: 332
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iluvd: I don't need clarfication, didn't you understand anything I said? Zoning ordinances WILL NOT ALLOW this cock-eyed idea!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can be changed! What is possibly wrong with putting all strip clubs in one place? Would you want one next to your house? Or is your husband an owner of one of the clubs hahaha. I know an official in KKs administration who has a hubby who owns a strip club - are you her?

Amelia

Post Number: 333
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

iluvd: You will NEVER change an ordinance to allow one more strip club without the community killing your mama! Go ahead and try and see if I'm the one!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 246
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia does your name begin with a K and I don't mean Kwame?

AND I did not say another strip club take the shit holes we have now and put them in one area. The weak will close and the strong will survive.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1783
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't that evil witch with her black cat become mayor.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2856
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia: as much as me and Itsjeff disagree on plenty schitt .... I'd never thought that you would usurp his thread .... same schitt with Brian.

Politics is a MoFo .... but the ? posted his thoughts about a meeting he attended. That outta be respected!!

Black-atcha ... watching the shadows of real politics and still wondering ....

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 247
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - Give it up...you and your constant whining about the "evil witch and black cat" are just dumb!

Amelia

Post Number: 334
Posted From: 4.229.81.198
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ras: Where have you been? I addressed the issues HE introduced, I didn't hi-jack anything! He stated unknown/false information about some dumb-azz red light district like it was something new! Well, it aint't and I told him so. And, if he needs his nose wiped, that's fine. But, I ain't the one.

Amelia

Post Number: 335
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ras: and another thing, if he wants to write out his "thoughts" without getting a response, on point, he needs to get a diary. Otherwise, I can turn this into a "Diary of a MAD BLACK WOMAN" up in here!
Black-to-ya!

Amelia

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do I look like my name starts with a "K"?
Ms. Amelia

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 178
Posted From: 68.42.173.147
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to recall that in 2004, Sharon A.) Didn't want strip clubs in the city, and B.) Requested that Council file lawsuits against new strip club owners seeking to re-open strip clubs.

Maybe this was her position when talking with senior citizens or pastors to gain some votes.

Maybe she'll just tell everyone that she's sorry or she was just being funny and drop the whole issue.

Brian

Post Number: 2528
Posted From: 68.73.32.13
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another positive assesment of Sharon McPhail and folks are getting upset.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia - You are a glamourpuss aren't you! No from that pic I would say that you are a RHONDA!

hahaha

Itsjeff

Post Number: 4187
Posted From: 69.242.218.111
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia looks vaguely familiar...
klumps

Amelia

Post Number: 352
Posted From: 4.229.81.248
Posted on Friday, April 01, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, wrong family. But, if they live in Detroit I guarantee you they will vote for KILPATRICK!! :-)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 260
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA HA they may be fat but the don't look ignant :-)

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 862
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does "ignant" look like?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 261
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - Look in Webster's under Bindetroit - there is a good picture in there of you :-) just kidding

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 864
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild - It's not too late to edit your ignorance out of your last 2 posts. (Too bad the rest of life doesn't offer the same luxury.)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 262
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - Actually ignorance is not that hard to define..."lacking knowledge or uninformed" is the most appropriate definition. Although I would take it a step further and state that people who don't open their ears and eyes to the other viewpoints is the ultimate ignorance. Not that you have to take an opposing viewpoint and agre with it but you should be open. In this Forum we have a lot of viewpoints -some ignorant some not. Most of us tend to listen to each other and some of us (I will put myself in this camp) learn from others. Heck Amelia has made me realize that KK has had some good things that he has done (sorry Amelia still a McPhail supporter). Although I think the worst form of ignorance is the Minutemen Militia in AZ - what are those guys doing patroling our boarder as "volunteers" with guns????? And why is our government permitting this????

Thrasher
Username: Thrasher

Post Number: 14
Posted From: 68.43.215.59
Posted on Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Minutemen Militia aka KKK aka Posse aka Domestic Terrorists. Where is homeland security when you need them..lol,lol,lol

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1790
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What that's eveil witch said the Detroit's future, nothing except bringing in the suburban privatizational support later on.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 266
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Sunday, April 03, 2005 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - Why do you always call her a witch? It makes you look really stupid.