Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Five reasons I'm supporting Sharon McPhail - by John Corvino « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five reasons I'm supporting Sharon McPhail
By John Corvino

Detroit is in the midst of a mayoral campaign, and it's a crucial one. While I'm not going to say "this is the most important city election of our generation" (don't people always say that?), there's no doubt that the city is in serious trouble.

As someone who both lives and works in the city, I am especially concerned about its future. But Detroit's success matters beyond its borders: metro Detroit is metro DETROIT, after all, and the city's condition affects the entire region - and ultimately the entire state.

The incumbent mayor, Kwame Kilpatrick, has been a disaster. Forget the fact that he's terrible on gay issues, having insulted us not only during his first mayoral campaign but also while in office. Frankly, gay issues are relatively far down my list (after crime, schools, taxes, and city services) in this election. Put simply, Kilpatrick has been asleep on the job for the past three-and-a-half years. (Hey, if you partied like he does, you'd need sleep too.) And don't even get me started about his administration's ethics.

The two main challengers are Freman Hendrix and Sharon McPhail. Hendrix was deputy mayor under Dennis Archer and chairman of the state-appointed reform Board of Education. McPhail is a Detroit city councilwoman, attorney, and former mayoral candidate. They're both good people, but I'm supporting McPhail.

When I say mention this, the typical reaction is "Are you crazy?"

McPhail may be a controversial figure, but she's also our best bet for moving the city forward. Here are five reasons for thinking so:

1. Personal attributes: McPhail is intelligent, compassionate, and courageous. Even her sharpest critics don't deny that she's smart and hardworking. Her record on council is indicative of her values. To take just one example, she spearheaded the One-Night Initiative, which provides services to countless homeless people in Detroit at virtually no cost to the city. She clearly wasn't doing it for the votes (the homeless are not a huge voting bloc). She has also been a consistent supporter of the gay and lesbian community, having publicly opposed Proposal 2 last fall.

2. Effectiveness: The Detroit City Council is a dysfunctional body (to put it mildly). McPhail, who is the only attorney on the council, has been responsible for much of the legislation that goes through it. It is unfortunate that many people associate her with the clownish atmosphere of the council. (Councilwoman Everett: "I'm going to go east-side on you!" Councilwoman McPhail: "OoohÉI'm scared.") McPhail is blunt and she has a sense of humor, but she also works hard and gets things done.

3. Benny Napoleon: McPhail is running with Benny Napoleon, who will become deputy mayor if she is elected. (Their slogan is "Elect the Power of 2.") Napoleon, also an attorney, was Chief of Police under Mayor Archer and reduced crime substantially during his tenure. Detroit's rising crime rate is one of the biggest challenges to attracting and retaining residents, and Napoleon brings something important to the table.

4. Policy initiatives: Unlike the other challenger, whose copious website includes not a word on property taxes, McPhail has made lowering taxes a central theme of her campaign. (Full disclosure: I volunteer on McPhail's campaign as an advisor on property-tax issues.) McPhail understands that Detroit competes in a marketplace where taxes, insurance rates, and similar costs all contribute to population drain, and her plan for the city addresses these issues as interrelated factors. (The plan will soon be posted at www.sharonandbenny.com.)

5. I want a new mayor: McPhail has the best chance to beat Kilpatrick in a general election. (There will be a primary election in August, and the top two vote-getters will compete in a November run-off.) Talk to many Hendrix supporters, and their main reason for backing him seems to be that he's not Kilpatrick and not McPhail. That's hardly a rousing endorsement. Although some of McPhail's supporters are ABK's (Anyone But Kwame), she also has a strong base of her own.

It's true that McPhail is not a perfect candidate. Her recent appearance at the "Sambo Awards," an annual roast sponsored by the grassroots organization Call 'Em Out, raised questions about her judgment. McPhail is not a racist Ñ her staff is one of the most integrated in city government Ñ but she needs to do a better job of communicating her integrationist commitments.

That said, McPhail is our best hope for fixing the corruption in city government. She may not be the most media-savvy candidate, but Detroit doesn't need more savvy. Detroit doesn't need more bling. Detroit needs someone who can get the job done.

John Corvino writes bi-weekly for Between The Lines.

http://www.pridesource.com/art icle.shtml?article=12846

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1832
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon McFAILED will lose anyway and then she'll go back to the suburbs where she belongs.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3336
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mrs. Snead may very well be a good candidate but she is no match for the collective intellect and expierence of the Lamar Lemmonses. Power of Three.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2613
Posted From: 67.37.83.161
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jelk, there is no Mrs Snead running for mayor. You were told that but you continue to make up candidates.

Here is a good article from someone who is not part of the candidates committee, not a financial contributor but someone who is declaring their support.

Some excerpts,

quote:

McPhail, who is the only attorney on the council, has been responsible for much of the legislation that goes through it.

quote:

McPhail is blunt and she has a sense of humor, but she also works hard and gets things done.

quote:

McPhail has the best chance to beat Kilpatrick in a general election.

Talk to many Hendrix supporters, and their main reason for backing him seems to be that he's not Kilpatrick and not McPhail.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3339
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon "McPhail" is married to David Snead therefor her formal name is Mrs. David Snead. Unless there's something she's hiding The LaMar Lemmonses unlike Mrs. Snead, Saturday, and Helmut have no name issues to hide. They are proud of their LaMar Lemmons identity. Power of Three...true.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1313
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Here is a good article from someone who is not part of the candidates committee, not a financial contributor but someone who is declaring their support."

Brian, let's be honest. Mr. Corvino is a columnist that (apparently) belongs to a special interest constituency, which ranks right there with campaign contributor, candidate committee member, etc. This was not simply a private citizen writing an unsolicited letter to the editor.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 928
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Brian, let's be honest." Shee-it. You lost Brian right out of the box.

"Here is a good article" - No, it's an editorial -
"from someone who is not part of the candidates committee," - how do you know that? -
"not a financial contributor" - same question, how do know that? (especially since Mrs. Snead has deigned not to comply with campaign finance laws and reveal her contributors or file on time) -
"but someone who is declaring their support." - with an agenda and representing a special interest. (nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't hold himself out as just another Detroiter, he's a gay-Detroiter-spokesguy).

Kbkav
Username: Kbkav

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 69.220.63.168
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jelk, perhaps mcphail's legal name is snead - i can't speak to that. but just because she is married to a snead, don't make her a snead. perhaps a restatement of your point is in order?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 6723
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A woman should take the man's name, cook, clean house, and raise the children. What part is misunderstood KbKav? (sinisterly grinning)

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3190
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"jelk, there is no Mrs Snead running for mayor. You were told that but you continue to make up candidates."
Well, Brian, there's no Helmut running for Mayor, either, but you still continue to insist upon it.
There's no difference here. Why the double standard?

Brian

Post Number: 2617
Posted From: 68.73.32.109
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

aram, one is a legal name the other is not a legal name. One candidates name is on their legal records the other is not. no double standard aram just your plain ignorance or purposefully placed insults. ditto jelk on that.

No surprise the two choir boys who don't support Sharon McPhail don't like an independant article written in a positive manner from an honest assesment of Sharon McPhail. IF you write for a US paper and you don't disclose you get fired and could face legal problems. Which is why the article BD listed had to disclose.

But this is a good article, I could use a link (Quinn) if one existed, I would like to share this article with other websites which actuall have Detroit voters besides myself.

Neither BD nore MD made any objections to editorials by the Freep or News. Nor to the biased columns from the MT.

But this line is great.

quote:

Policy initiatives: Unlike the other challenger, whose copious website includes not a word on property taxes, McPhail has made lowering taxes a central theme of her campaign. (Full disclosure: I volunteer on McPhail's campaign as an advisor on property-tax issues.)

And this proves that BD and MD don't read they just see a headline and attack. That is the style of their candidate. I handed it to you and you both blew it.

Now about those taxes...

Supersport

Post Number: 6734
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five reasons I won't vote for McPhail.

1. She knows how to wire up an electric chair with minimal resources.

2. Has the ability to drive an elder CC member to the point of wanting to kick her ass. All because she wouldn't shut her mouth and wait her turn to speak.

3. Participated in an award ceremony that calls people out based upon their race.

4. Worked for the city of Ecorse while serving Detroiters. Refused to quit until a court decision was made and forced her to give up her position. Upon leaving, she awards the position to a staff member of hers.

5. Has shown her inability to do a satisfactory job on the CC, along with most other members. Why would I reward her with a position as mayor?

Detroit needs to seriously clean house and start with a clean slate. No former politicians serving at any level of government in Detroit. We don't need more of the same. We need a fresh face to enter the race.

Brian

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sport, if you truly are a Detroit resident and a Detroit voter, you need to find yourself a candidate who fits your needs. Then work to support that candidate. Otherwise you are just complaining without a purpose. There are plenty of people who might want to be mayor but think they cannot win. But folks like you sit back, do nothing, complain about what others are doing and then bitch when it doesn't turn out your way.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 205.188.117.68
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, you are misrepresenting and being dishonest again. Once again, as I have told you before, pointing out misrepresented/false information is not "attacking" someone. One cannot be attacked for voicing an opinion, however, you have tried to pass off that individual opinion as a point of fact. Furthermore, you have tried to pass off an columnist's editorial as an unsolicited article from a private citizen. I have not criticized columnists editorials from the Freep or Det News because no one has tried to pass them off as you did with this piece.

Supersport

Post Number: 6735
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian,

I don't especially like any of them, so why would I work to support any of them? How am I complaining without a purpose? I'm a registed voter in Detroit, I have just as much say as you do. Its a free country, last I checked I was free to bitch about stuff I didn't like or agree with. Deal with it.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4204
Posted From: 68.42.175.45
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt we'll ever have have a perfect mayoral candidate. I thought Archer was when he first ran, but it turns out that he was flawed.

But even if you don't support Sharon, it's important that you realize that she isn't the bogeyman portrayed in this forum. If she wins, she'll do fine. She's a smart cookie, very articulate and strikes me as thoughtful. I had my concerns and took them directly to her at her Cafe de Troit appearance. She looked me in the eye and answered every question I put to her.

As November gets closer and the candidate's positions are fleshed-out, it's possible that I could end up supporting a different candidate. Especially if someone else enters the race. (I'm lookin' at you Joe Harris.) But if McPhail ended up winning, I'd be fine with it.

Brian

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sport I told you to get your own candidate. I never said who you should get. Did you expose your own limited thinking in believing that the stated candidates are the only ones out there capable of being mayor? The media has said they have the best chance of winning and you believed them. You can bitch all you like, where will it get you, a stroke?

You have just as much say as I do but you are not doing anything with your say. If you don't like the choices, go get another choice.

MD, going back to your post you make claims against "special interest constituencies". Doesn't your candidate have any or is the one you are refering too not meet with your candidates approval? Why attack them when all you had to do is say you disagree? We know mildred has a problem but do all of your candidates supporters?

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2222
Posted From: 12.75.50.19
Posted on Friday, April 15, 2005 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, the perfect candidate. . . .

Brenda just about had me convinced that my horse should be the one who would work best with an emergency financial manager. But it was too much work on my end to try to figure out exactly which of the three that would be, so I'll be writing in Lou Schimmel for now.

Of course it is still early.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 304
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have come to the conclusion that Sport, Bin and Metro are all members of the Hendrix campaign and their strategy for winning is to conquer Detroit Yes which has the same 100 folks on it! You go boys with this strategy. I for one cannot stand Hendrix and cannot wait to see that idiot ride off into the sunset!

PS - And Danny you are just pathetically stupid...you cannot even rise above the level of idiot. At least the other three desperados named above "try" to make an argument you just spit idiotic venom.

Supersport

Post Number: 6738
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You can bitch all you like, where will it get you, a stroke?"

Brian,

More likely an ulcer or a heart attack. A stroke is a clot that limits the travel of blood (oxygen)to the brain. Not sure how concern over something could cause a blood clot. Did you just expose your own limited thinking?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 69.212.52.177
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, pardon if I butt in on you and Supersport. I was just wondering, "What are you exactly doing for the McPhail campaign? Since you are on this forum so often, when are you campaigning for her? Or did they tell you that your job would be to come on this forum and bad-mouth Hendrix and Mayor Kilpatrick?

ilovedetroit, you accuse Sport, Bin, and Metro of being from the Hendrix campaign and that their strategy is to conquer DetroitYes. I beg to differ. Have you seen your posts? If there was anyone trying to conquer DetroitYes with their obvious support for Sharon McPhail, it would be you, Brian, and Quinn. I just find it extremely amusing that you would tag others for trying to take over the forum when you and other McPhail supporters are on here repeatedly bad-mouthing her opponents in an attempt to win converts. It's because of you McPhail supporters that Lowell had to create a super thread for political topics. You folks were getting out of hand with creating any and every thread that would bad-mouth McPhail's opponents. That sounds like conquering to me.

Quinn

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce:

w

Royce

Post Number: 760
Posted From: 68.255.166.162
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah! It's that long.

The_aram

Post Number: 3199
Posted From: 141.213.171.251
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"aram, one is a legal name the other is not a legal name. One candidates name is on their legal records the other is not. no double standard aram just your plain ignorance or purposefully placed insults. ditto jelk on that. "
Wrong.
See, here's the difference:
Sharon has chosen not to use the name Snead. Freman has chosen to use Freman, and not Helmut.
Why is this so hard for you to understand?

Quinn

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What...your spine?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 306
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce - I am sure the most common thing you hear from your dates regarding your "size" is "no thanks I choke on small bones!"

Now go play with yourself!

PS - Don't forget the tweezers

Royce

Post Number: 761
Posted From: 68.255.166.162
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ilovedetroit, they may say they choke on small bones, but they also say they love to get their mouths around a big sausage. Don't hate 'cause you don't have one.

The_aram

Post Number: 3201
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a fascinating and relevant discourse...

Brian

Post Number: 2627
Posted From: 67.37.84.111
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the_aram, you are not married so you don't know the legal aspects of marriage. Try learning. Your post above is wrong.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1839
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Five Reasons that I'm not supporing McFAILED

1. a bully

2. a witch

3. a snob

4. a evil woman

5. She'll bring privatization to Detroit with suburban help.