Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » What does your candidate do to support small businesses? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1515
Posted From: 68.79.113.244
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've seen the clamour for attracting new business to our City. What about those businesses that have been here for years and have to deal with the onus of the the City and its lack of support for them?

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 964
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, McPhail goes bowling... in Roseville.

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 502
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Kilpatrick is being recognized for his efforts and progress in supporting inner city businesses by Inc. Magazine.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 69.242.221.202
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was not Mayor Kilpatrick also recently recgonized for his efforts by Time Magazine?
wink

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 965
Posted on Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame Kilpatrick has done mountains of good for Sharon Madison, Bobby Ferguson, Mel Washington, Manny Maroun and many others (for more names, check his contributors list).

He's also done lots and lots for U-Haul, Three Men and a Truck, Palmer, Global, and any other moving company going one-way out of Detroit.

Not to mention the lawyers, both those suing the City for the misdeeds of KK and his cronies as well as the defense bar.

The owners of party stores and gas stations are not so happy with the Kwamester, but salaam, salaam.

Jams

Post Number: 1517
Posted From: 68.79.100.148
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 7:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amelia,
Do you have a link?

I'm demanding proof, regardless of the candidate.
This little playground needs to be held accountable for the things that are alleged.

I and every other citizen of this City needs to know what each candidate offers to resolve the problems we face each day.

I couldn't give a s*%t about the car they drive or even how they got them. Let's talk about our City's quality of life issues.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 994
Posted From: 68.73.198.113
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mayor is very involved in supporting small businesses.
crime lab purchase
"Meathe's Bloomfield Farms LLC bought the warehouse near Tiger Stadium in 2002 for $3.5 million from bankrupt Mexican Industries, according to property records. The Detroit City Council, acting upon Kilpatrick's recommendation, agreed to buy the property in November 2004 for $8.6 million.

The mayor's staff admitted there were concerns about the purchase price after their own appraisal put the value at $2.5 million"

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 4.229.120.128
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams:
Here's the story with the facts. And for BinD: the people like Madison, Ferguson or Washington don't appear anywhere, smart ass. However, please pay careful attention to the comparison of Detroit small business during the "glory days" of Archer and the rate of growth under Kilpatrick. Maybe you'll believe somebody else other than what I post. Tom Walsh

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 2505
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see nothing in terms of a concrete plan to address this issue expressed by the supporters of any of the three candidates, simply platitudes.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 386
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail has stated that she will work with BSE department to clear up the back logs of permits by hiring retired engineers to clean up the more than 4000 permits. After that she will have a less than 30 day turn-around on permits. She will hold monthly economic councils with businesses wanting to do work in Detroit, at these councils they will be able to present their business plans and they will be assigned an ombudsman type person to shepherd them through the process ie., She wants to also clean up corruption out of the system - no more having to pay for meetings. She will run a clean and tight ship anyone found being corrupt will be prosecuted! AGAIN this is high level from a volunteer on her campaign who has heard her speak to this topic.

Skulker

Post Number: 2508
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How will she fund hiring retired engineers in the face of a deficit and make good on her pledge to rightsize government? Hmmm Double speak from the candidate.

No company will present their plans publicly for proprietary reasons. Her former mentor Coleman Young knew that and took steps to create a system in which businesses could discuss their plans in private and help develop them for public presentation.

The Ombudsman like process has been in place since Coleman.

Sharon has not shown me anything new. She and two others are mayoral candidates. They ought to have specific policies and platforms by now. None of the three have presented that to me or other voters. One could assume with Kwame that it would be business as usual as his plan and platform have presumably been implemeted by now.

Skulker

Post Number: 2509
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, the corruption portion of your defence is yet another strawman.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker- Versus asking volunteers on the campaign like myself why don't you come to the next community event and ask McPhail herself...being on here and asking "us" questions is not nearly as good as going to the candidate yourself.

MEET THE CANDIDATES
17500 Chandler Park Drive True Rock Church
just east of Cadieux - Thursday April 28th from 7:00 - 9:00 PM.

Skulker

Post Number: 2515
Posted From: 68.42.175.79
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be out of town that day. I have attended your candidates forums and have not had my answers addressed. I was hoping that perhaps her volunteers had real reasons for supporting their candidate and could address questions from voters. So far the support for ALL THREE candidates on this forum is largely unsubstantiated by meaningful knowledge of the respective platforms.

So far ILD, neither you or any supporter of any of the candidates has been able to meaningfully answer any of the platform questions posed by Jams.

Makes me wonder. About a lot of things.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 398
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker- I am sorry that I cannnot explain to you what is important to you! I know what is important to me and those things have been addressed. I seriously doubt if you have been to a forum of McPhail's any question that gets asked gets a very good answer with a straight look in your eye! There are many other events coming up where you can speak with her and ask her questions. At this point I can do nothing else for you - I cannot be the recipient of all campaign knowledge. BUT I promise you at the meeting on Thursday I will ask her what she will do and I will post it on here.

Jams

Post Number: 1580
Posted From: 66.72.148.13
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 5:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, I'll try again for discussion of issues.

Jams

Post Number: 1836
Posted From: 69.212.26.188
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third try.