Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » What will your candidate do to make the buses run on time? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1523
Posted From: 68.79.120.90
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mass transit is a huge issue in this region. With gas prices going up, with no ceiling in sight, what plans does your candidate offer to service those who need it or wish to use public transportation?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Making the buses run on time is a TALL order to fulfill in the current climate.

McPhail's Vision Statement started off with (the rest I don't remember - I like the opening line)

Horizontal Mobility Equals Upward Mobility

Meaning if you got a way to get around - you can have a job and make some money!

McPhail stated last night (you should have been at the Gem) through her SME - engineer from Ford and a graduate of RPI with a background in civil engineering and transortation. He spoke about the need for cooperation between the suburban and Detroit bus systems working together better. Also better treatment of the unions. They also talke about successful systems in other cities where they have vans (much cheaper) to operate between low used lines. They also stated that as Detroit develops more walkable neighborhoods that a light rail system needs to follow so that we can capture some of those fed dollars flowing away from Detroit. Basically improving bus service with the burbs, van pooling and light rail when the time is right. That is mostly what I remember.

Jams

Post Number: 1524
Posted From: 66.72.149.41
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is the responsibility of the candidates to get their messages to the citizens and voters,
not to expect me to attend rah-rah meetings.

I have said before and I'll say it again, I've no love for any of the candidates, prove to us you can lead this City in a forward direction.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 334
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sometimes you have to seek them out Jams. You can't expect a candidate to land on your door step and answer all your questions (although it might happen McPhail Napoleon team do go door to door). The event last night was HEAVILY attended by non-supporters who were invited because of their undecided status. It had some rah rah moments but the intent was to change minds not hold a supporter campaign rally.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 977
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The event last night was HEAVILY attended by non-supporters"

You know this how?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because we polled them and asked their status....when they left they were supporters. Were you there? Maybe you were the angry looking guy with the sweater who sat in the corner - we thought he was a shooter? Was that you?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 982
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't do rallys except from the wings.

Besdies, I can only take Sharon in very small doses, away from the cameras and her adoring syncophants.

(She actually appears lucid and rational most of the time when one on one. But don't get between her and a political bone or a member of the fifth estate - then, look out, it's feeding time).

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - I am going to respect Jams wish that his threads not be turned into mud slingers at the candidates.

Bindetroit

Post Number: 983
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild - I appreciate that. I have of late been attempting the same. Simple rule: No attacks on posters or candidates' individual supporters. But slings and arrows aimed at the candidates themselves, based on their positions and statements, are the fodder of political discourse.

For example, "KK is a fool" is just not helpful. Contrast with "Kilpatrick's youth and energy gave reason to many to vote for him, but his inexperience and immaturity have proven to be a real detriment and perhaps his undoing." Cricism, yes. Opinion, yes. But well-founded.

Each candidate has their strengths and weaknesses. Public discussion and debate should lead to better and well-informed decision-making.

I look forward to a higher level of discourse, devoid of the ad hominem attacks and petty name-calling.

Jams

Post Number: 1529
Posted From: 68.249.244.185
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 226
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh damn...does this mean no more pics or animated gifs?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 988
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope not. The Minister of Misinformation cracks me up every time.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3362
Posted From: 141.217.119.205
Posted on Friday, April 22, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to add a supplemental question to JAMS inquiry:

What are the candidates’ opinions of the lawsuit against SEMCOG and efforts to increase federal mass transit dollars the city receives from the federal government?

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 383
Posted From: 68.73.52.212
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have a related question:

What are the candidates' opinions of DARTA and/or other proposals to coordinate DDOT and SMART?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1887
Posted From: 68.42.77.83
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Freeman Hendrix becomes mayor, He'll bring D-Dot busses back to its 24hr service, but some bus routes will be reduced to 1 hr from 10:00am. to 3:00pm. And reduced to back to 1 hr after 6:00pm to 6:00am. Bus fares will go up to $2.00 for a ride, but the transfer tickets will remain $0.25 (cents).

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 366
Posted on Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - Why would Hendrix do this? I don't understand - many of the poorest of the poor who have no other option but to use a bus to get to work need it. Why would he raise fares? Many of the people including my neighbor make very little money. She makes 7.25 an hour now she has to pay an increased fair? It seems to me that Hendrix's answer

is to increase fees. Much like he did in his previous post. Instead of looking for ways to lean the process and make it more fluid - his usual answer has been to add up the fees. That is why we are in so much trouble with taxes and everything else. Instead of fixing the base problem add a fee - same thing KK is doing 2% tax on fast food, lays off low level city employees and keeps the 100k a year managers. Can you explain his reasonings for increasing the ticket? Again the little guy gets picked on - same thing KK does.

McPhail proposed at the Gem Theater (at a high level she stated further more in depth plans to be released in the next few weeks)

- improving DDOT and coordinating with SMART - matching city schedules.
- Treat unions as partners - look for ways to lean processes to cut cost - where can they share purchasing power to buy parts at lower costs.
- Ensure compliance with fed gov acts so we don't keep losing money on non-compliance.
- Create van pools between lower used routes to save on money versus having a bus at a higher cost shuttling a few folks.

She spoke about cutting waste out of the system and keeping the fees the same.

I just don't get Hendrix's proposal to raise fees?

-

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3366
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So none of the candidates shills posting here can answer the SEMCOG question. Checked Hendrix and McPhail's websites. Nothing. Hendrix's site has an extensive page on mass transit however little is new. Googling the three candidates and SEMCOG I find no record of any of the three candidates saying word one about the suit that seeks...among other things...to give Detroit a larger voting bloc on SEMCOG. NOT WORD FUCKING ONE!

I do not know if the reforms of SEMCOG advocated by the plaintiffs in this case will create a sea change in transportation policy, none the less one would think, nay, expect candidates for Mayor to have voiced a clear and thoughtful opinion on a case that effects the city's voice in regional policy making.

I guess we can expect a continued lack of leadership from the CAY Building on transportation regardless of whoever is elected/re-elected this fall.

Oh well, I guess. This year's Mayoral race is a sideshow anyway. A sideshow of a sideshow. Wake me up when the selection process of Detroit's receiver begins. That's a race that will matter. Yay Receivership!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 370
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk-

I will try to find something out. Unfortunately McPhail was pretty busy at our ALL volunteer meeting this Saturday I wanted to ask her about your SEMCOG question and was unable to. I will try to get an answer for you...but at this point most of the people on here (or at least me) is not an official with the campaign - just a volunteer and therefore not an official spokesperson. I am sure that McPhail, Hendrix, and Kilpatrick have views but we are not the people to necessarily give that answer (or at least an appropriate answer).

Thanks

Fec
Username: Fec

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, ILoveDetroit, you took the words right out of my mouth. I, as a supporter, must also leave some answers to official spokespersons. I'm sure no one would want to misinform or misquote their candidate. Such harm that would cause. Besides, it would do unreversible damage...you know some would grab the bone and run with it!

That is the way politics should begin. DON'T TALK/WRITE JUST TO BE HEARD/READ. THAT'S DAMAGING TO BOTH THE VOTERS AND THE CANDIDATE! But wait until I learn more, and more of my candidate's positions as this race moves forward to Tuesday, 8/2/05. Watch Out!

These "how would your candidate . . . " questions should be revisited in a couple of months.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah we can already see what damage gets caused. A couple of people on here called Freman Hendrix by his full name Helmut Freman Hendrix and next thing you know...Metro Times is calling McPhail a racist or saying who is blacker! Stupid stuff from someone who probably has ABSOLUTELY no connection to the campaign and is just a volunteer. The sad part is that someone at Metro Times actually printed this stupidity. I have gone to nearly EVERY McPhail ALL volunteer meeting and I have never heard anyone (and that includes McPhail/Napoleon) use the name Helmut.

So stating other than the facts can get people all riled up and running with it!

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1344
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jelk, for the record, Hendrix talked about reforming the voting structure of SEMCOG at his GEM Theatre meeting. (i.e. instead of widening I-75 in OC, investing in light rail).

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 382
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - I am still waiting for answers as to why Hendrix is going to raise bus fares? I am still surprised at why he would hit on the little guy? Can you answer this for me? You stated it above as if you were an official with the campaign.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1349
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In these difficult financial times for the City, and with city bus services in trouble...why does McPhail continue to drive a city financed vehicle when she makes nearly $100k and her husband also makes a six figure salary? Furthermore, she (previously) also had a second job with the City of Ecorse making an additional $100k.

Quinn

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon has an old Cadillac (I think 1997 or older) she uses for personal business. The city vehicle, an OLD crown victoria, is used for city business. And I guess that's the point Metro...she does have a job as an elected official whose position has a city-owned vehicle supplied...like all other council members. What's your unemployed candidate's excuse for leasing a BRAND NEW CADILLAC using donated money?

Nice try loser.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 2501
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see nothing that resembles a plan expressed by the supporters of any of the three candidates on this issue, simply platitudes.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1353
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,

1. Please back up your claim that the Hendrix leased vehicle is "BRAND NEW".

2. Please back up your claim that McPhail's city owned Crown Victoria is "OLD".

3. Again, please tell me why a person (McPhail) making nearly $100k, who also (previously) had a second job making over $100k, and whose husband also has a six figure income, needs a taxpayer sponsored vehicle? Yes the city supplies people in her position with such vehicles, but she could have easily turned it down given the city's financial state as well as her own financial wealth (compared to others in her office, or other offices for that matter).

Bindetroit

Post Number: 1027
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Yes the city supplies people in her position with such vehicles"
To say that "the city" supplies them with cars is to overlook the real criminals in this rip-off of the taxpayers. The budget for City Council, the one with City-supplied vehicles for Councilmembers as a line-item, is based on Council's own budget request to the Mayor. The Mayor does not generally clip City Council's budget except to make a point, and then they add back whatever the Mayor has removed. The approved budget, the one with City-supplied vehicles for Councilmembers as a line-item, is voted on and approved by City Council. Their bloated office expense accounts, generous salaries, unnecessary vehicles, wasteful use of police as drivers, and other greedy abuses of their office are all from thier own budget requests and as approved by them.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 241
Posted From: 68.42.173.147
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker:

I'm sorry I'm not in a position to share the Mayor's specific plans regarding making buses run on time. But he has gone on record saying he wants to regionalize bus services, which I think is a step in the right direction regardless of how regional leaders choose to take it.

In the meantime, he will continue purchasing buses (using federal dollars) and repairing buses as necessary.

Another point. You may recall that sometime during last year's budget, the Mayor cited the number of mechanics to bus ratio and the number was alarming. I think Detroit had one of the highest ratios of mechanics to buses in the nation. The Mayor called the bus union out on it and they have fought him at every turn since then.

Everyone needs to understand that no collective bargaining unit wants to give up anything. This makes the Mayor's job extremely challenging. In addition and sometime last year, after the Mayor announced laying off bus drivers, the City Council (moved by Talabi and supported by all) requested that the Mayor go back and keep somewhere around 30 of them. Therefore, all the savings were not realized.

One last point. I think the Mayor allocates more than $100 million from the GF to subsidize DDOT.

FYI (All):

The Cadillac Sharon drives used to owned by our former Mayor, Hon. Coleman Alexander Young. Her husband bought it at the auction house on E. Jefferson after CAY passed away.

Quinn

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh...nice SCOOP Moron-a.

Jams

Post Number: 1579
Posted From: 66.72.148.13
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, I'll try again for discussion of issues.

Jams

Post Number: 1839
Posted From: 69.212.26.188
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 4:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third try.