Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Sharon McPhail presents $8 Prescription Drug Coverage « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 228
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a number of very helpful programs that Sharon has presented since she's been a Council Member, like Operation Insurance Freedom (to combat high auto and home insurance) and the ONE NIGHT Initiative (to house the homeless), but this is the best so far!

---------------------------------------------
Posted from http://www.sharonandbenny.com/about/prescription.htm

prescription

How would you like to pay Only $8 a month for each Prescription?

We are pleased to offer a new program to help residents of the City of Detroit pay less for their prescriptions.

The $8 Prescription Relief Program will connect income-eligible residents of all ages with the Prescription Relief Program.

How Residents Can Benefit:

-You pay only $8 a month for each prescription.
All paperwork will be completed for you.
-No application fee
-Once your prescriptions are approved, they will be mailed to you or doctor in a 90-day supply.
-More than 1,400 brand-name and generic drugs are offered through this program.

Visiting Nurses and Nursing Students will be available to answer questions and to assist in filling out the prescription section of the application.

You qualify if:

-You are a resident of Detroit who meets the income guidelines.
-You do not participate in Medicaid & do not have insurance with prescription coverage.
-Your income is no more than $19,000/year for a single person & up to $31,000/year for a family.
-A series of $8.00 Prescription Drugs Forums are being held throughout the City of Detroit by Council Member McPhail where volunteers will assist you in filling out the application and verifying your eligibility.

For Information on the program, dates and locations of the forums, Call 224-4530 or 224-4531

---------------------------------------------

Sharon put together this program and it doesn't cost the City a dime. How efficient is that?!? Just imagine how great it will be when Sharon is Mayor!

Fec
Username: Fec

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear L.Brooks Patterson is doing something like that for his entire region, and perhaps beyond. I say we need to look at our county exective for direction on this program. I'm quite sure it would be cheaper if our County exec supported this as oppose to a citywide program with less recepients on board. It's that old adage, "Cheaper by the dozen".

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 376
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FEC-

McPhail in her speeches gives credit to L Brooks Patterson for this program. He is the one that helped her to put this together in a cooperative leadership effort. At the Gem Theater she stated that she has met with him several times to better understand what they are doing in Oakland Co. that works there and what she could use for Detroit. This is first program that she has done with him and it is working well. One lady is saving nearly 4000.00 a month in drug cost via this program. McPhail and her team at city council have been inundated with request to sign up for the program. Glad you like the idea!

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 2496
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And exactly who picks up the remainder of the tab?

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2657
Posted From: 68.73.32.150
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

it doesn't cost the City a dime.

Good News!

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 240
Posted From: 68.42.173.147
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an idea:

Forget about electing Mayor's and hiring City Managers and let's make L Brooks Patterson Southeastern Michigan Chief Executive Officer.

For checks and balances, we can also elect a Southeastern Michigan Regional Council.

Let's reform government in all of Southeastern Michigan!

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1029
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"it doesn't cost the City a dime."

Like those no-public-money-except-for-tha t-$1,700,000 one night stands for the homeless at the churches? This isn't gold from straw. Where is the money coming from and where is it going?

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2943
Posted From: 68.251.224.69
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 3:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Feds and the Drug Companies ..... dumb-ass!!

Black-atcha .....

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a great program, I hope it works and last a long time.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 406
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah so do I...I helped sign up people at one of the events for the program. I am just shocked at home much some people have to pay to just keep themselves alive.

Brian

Post Number: 2672
Posted From: 67.37.83.105
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, is that why Archer returned millions to the feds for Housing and other people oriented programs when he was mayor? I didn't see your candidate standing up to get any money to feds were trying to send and keep in the city. Is that republican ideaology what drives your candidate?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 1044
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian -
You insist on trying to hold Freman Hendrix accountable for every preceived (by you)mis-step by Dennis Archer, yet you contrarily fail to give Freman Hendrix credit for any of the Archer administration's many successes. Are you delusionally saying that the deputy mayor was the power behind the throne?

Freman Hendrix was responsible for or oversaw a number of Archer's commendable programs and initiatives that continue to benefit the City of Detroit and its residents. Freman Hendrix, as Mayor Archer's number two, was also designated to represent the executive branch in certain instances where the political fallout was visited on the administration AND on the individual.

Freman Hendrix takes credit where credit is due and takes responsibility where the responsibility was his and his alone. This is in stark contrast to Ms McPhail, as she attempts to deflect criticism for her failing to do that which she was elected to do, disclaim responsibility for majorly contributing to the current political and fiscal crisis confronting the City, and deny her many exercises of poor judgement, while at the same time trying to give herself all sorts of brownie points for City Council actions that were approved and implemented by that body as whole.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - Name 3 things that Freman Hendrix did for the city?

Name 3 things where Ms McPhail has take credit from other city council members? And where do you get off saying that she has anything to do with the current fiscal crisis? And what would Freloader Hendrix (who does not have a job other than owning a golf course with half the McNamara Administration) have done in the current fiscal crisis?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1364
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of naming 3 things...

Oh that's right "Ilovedetroit", Ms. McPhail has a nearly $100k job on city council and previously had a second (side) job that paid over $100k, yet she still NEEDS a taxpayer subsidized vehicle. Talk about "FRE"loading. Also, why didn't she enroll her daughter in a private school rather than (illegally) "FRE"loading off of the Southfield Public Schools as well as Southfield citizens. Furthermore, why didn't Ms. McPhail and Mr. Snead (another six figure income) pay the ENTIRE costs of their wedding, rather than "FRE"loading off the Detroit Public Schools, and once again, Detroit citizens.

Brian

Post Number: 2674
Posted From: 68.73.32.139
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like your candidate is in trouble. You have to lie on Sharon McPhail to score points.

That's OK, if you have to lie to try to win, do what you have to do.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1374
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, now the hard part, point out the alleged lie(s) and support your counter claim with proof to the contrary. Each of those instances has been well documented.

Brian

Post Number: 2690
Posted From: 67.37.84.71
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"why didn't Ms. McPhail and Mr. Snead (another six figure income) pay the ENTIRE costs of their wedding, rather than "FRE"loading off the Detroit Public Schools, and once again, Detroit citizens"
Is a well documented lie. They did pay the entire cost of the wedding. If not, you should be able to produce the invoices/expenditures from DPS as you claim. BUT since you cannot you merely continue a lie that was created by those whom you now campaign against for mayor. The documented checks and accounts of how the wedding was paid for is available from the campaign office. There are even eye witnesses from the DPS who can testify that what you wrote to is a lie.

As I stated, your candidate must be in trouble if he is attacking Sharon McPhail before the filing deadline.

Why didn't your candidate pay for his own caddilac instead of his campaign? Why did your candidate drive city vehicles when he was an employee of the city instead of paying for his own vehicle? Your candidate made well over six figures working for the city. Archer also changed the rules to allow your candidate to collect a city pension even though your candidate had not remained at the city long enough to vest. Will your candidate make the list of Detroit's top pension getters like the Wayne County list? Is your candidate collecting his government check?

Bindetroit

Post Number: 1060
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Archer also changed the rules to allow your candidate to collect a city pension even though your candidate had not remained at the city long enough to vest."

The Detroit Pension Board (which has a mayoral appointee, but also has representativers from the workers and from the retirees, and is in no way munder mayoral control) must approve any changes to the pension plan. City Council must approve any changes to the pension plan. Only then does any change go to the Mayor for approval or a veto. And no such change was made under Archer.

BTW, Freman Hendrix was a City employee for 26 years. Benefits vest after 4.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The wedding story is documented on video by one of the planners of the story. Rev. Darly Redmond worked for Mike Dunggan, Bernard Kilpatrick, and FreLOADER Hendrix ... he was in the room when those gruesome three thought up a plan to discredit Sharon McPhail...McPhail has absolutely no sordid parts to her past (other than the chair, Kay Lloyd stuff) they have nothing solid! So these jokers make up the story and put it out there. WELL guess what it worked! Alot of Detroiters believed that story. McPhail carries with her at all times the information that shows that she paid for her wedding and has the receipts to prove - she also has the letter that Pastor Redmond wrote as a cover to the documentation. What about Pastor Redmond? He quit that group of thieves and made a video stating that it was all lies and wrote a letter. McPhail has sent all this to the papers .... that is why you don't see anything in the press. IT IS ALL LIES and Hendrix was apart of it all! Mr I am So-Sweet candy rolls out my ass is no better than Kwame Kilpatrick...He is just a better looking and older version of KK.

Good job hitching your wagon to that jerk Metro!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1376
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian/"Ilovedetroit", so once again, Duggan, Hendrix, Archer, The Detroit News, The Detroit Free Press, Channel 2, Channel 4, Channel 7, WWJ, and anyone else you want to throw in are all WRONG and McPhail is RIGHT.

Brian

Post Number: 2696
Posted From: 67.37.83.152
Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, that is what Archer changed, the allowing of his appointees to vest after four years. Even in private industry it takes 5 years minimum. And then that is only for a fraction of a pension or retirement benefits.

And do you ignore the time your candidate worked at the county? Are you again redrawing history to make your candidate look good? Damn, is it that bad at your camp? I thought the polls said you were leading.

And MD said Duggan. Ha Ha, please run on the Duggan slate, He took 11% when he ran for office in Detroit. I guess with your candidate's unknown status he just might need that 11%. But what would it cost him and how could Bernard allow that to happen?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Metro they are all involved..don't be so naive about Detroit politics...you know you are an insider on the Hendrix camaign you "claim" to know too much. And you seem to quick to defend someone you don't even allegedly know!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1379
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, your candidate (McPhail) LOST to Duggan...and Archer...and so on.

"Ilovedetroit", wrong again. YOU CLAIMED that "I know too much", NOT me. Speaking of "being to quick to defend someone you don't even allegedly know", are you a "mere volunteer", "insider", or "objective new forumer" at this moment? (Because you keep changing your tune on that claim every few minutes now.)

Brian

Post Number: 2700
Posted From: 68.73.32.253
Posted on Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, you take MD too seriously. He and his candidate like to have it both ways. First they have stated how poorly DPS was and how it had to be taken over. Yet, they criticize folks who would seek other means to educate their children.

MD and his candidate are not honest, they do not put things out for people to consider, they attack all angles until those who won't support them are not left standing. That is their campaign tactic. Its really hurting them in the city. (Did I see his picture on a SEMTA bus? DAMN!)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 6984
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like Mrs Snead is in la-la land. The federal government can't even come up with a good plan for health insurance and prescription drugs....but she has it all figured out. Then there is here "every DPS student gets an opportunity for paid college." She must have a shit load of money trees in her back yard!

Get out the waders people, cause its only gonna be getting deeper!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1387
Posted From: 205.188.117.8
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, of course you saw his picture on a SEMTA bus...and we're back in 1986...DAMN! (sarcasm)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 435
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had an epiphany...this group is a bunch of cynical mean spirited fools. When I joined this forum it was to see what people had to say (and yes Metro I was not an out McPhail supporter)...then I quickly turned nasty myself! Reading Supersport (nothing super or sporting about you)...just cynical and nasty comments on McPhail's plan that is doing something good and I realize that NO matter what I say or anyone says you Hendrix supporters will not change your minds about McPhail. I really doubt if any of you have ever heard her speak. Your comments are always nasty and full of venom. And yes I have had some zingers myself...but I was brought to that (stupid of me). When I look back at previous threads 9 times out of 10 Metro/Bin/Danny (Hendrix supporters) always get nasty. As far as I am concerned stay nasty and bitter - because after Hendrix loses to KK and McPhail in the primary you can sit around and cry and pout and not do anything good for anyone as you are doing right now!

Supersport

Post Number: 6997
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard her speak for nearly 4 years on channel 10, in all honesty, that was more than enough. The CC is mostly a bunch of clowns, I will likely vote for Ken Cockrel Jr and thats about it.

Sorry, I don't award childish politicians with a position as mayor.

As for my antics? PLEASE!!!! The Sharon supporters have been slamming the other canidates since day one on here. It is quite typical of her tactics though. I would much rather see Kwame re-elected than go through 4 years of her as mayor.

Quinn

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second that ILoveDetroit.

Supersport you are a hack. We're both solidly for our candidates (you for Hendrix me for McPhail). Here's the difference...I'm honest about it.

You act as though you're impartial, trying to figure out who the best candidate is by writing non-sensical, veiled arguments that are really Pro-hendrix will dropping venom bombs on the other candidates. Oh yes...what a brain. You are a pathetic, political operative and Freman Hendrix deserves your support. This message also goes for Metro (I really don't even live here) and Bin-there-don-that, AKA "The Three Stooges"

Bindetroit

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q - what was the point of your last post^? Was it to merely call SS a hack? If so, okay, are you happy now? But then why gratuitously smear other posters? Does this make you feel even better? But how does this in any way contribute to intelligent discourse?

Your post is alot like the one from ild that you were me-too'ing. She starts out decrying the snarky meanness of some posts (loke most of her own), but then descends into ..snaky meanness. WTF?

Supersport

Post Number: 6998
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all yalls information, I'm leaning towards Hendrix, but I'm still not beyond voting for Kwame either. See, yet you read into as if I have already picked my canidate, simply because its not YOUR canidate.

Tell me, in Sharon's 4 years on the CC what has she done that places her on a pedistal above the other CC members that pretty much everyone bags on?

Quinn

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SuperSport:

-More legislation with her coalition than any Council in history.

-Wrote new law to contol adult entertainment in the city

-new ethics law

-ordinance to keep guns out of recreation centers

just to name a few

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 583
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freman wrote law to haul trash between Canada and Detroit, which is where they sent the charge card receipts.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1927
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eight dollar prescription drug coverage! HAH! Not going to work. Tell that to the lobbyists in Washington that the drug companies are not going to push it.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - So where is the answer to my question? You stated that Hendrix was raising bus fares to compensate for losses? I am at a loss as to why he would again pick on the little guy? What not work to streamline the services, promote shared purchasing costs and create van lines on shortened bus routes like McPhail...is that your candidate's answer - raise fares?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Danny the $8 program is working already with people signed up and getting their low cost drugs.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3373
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what happens if your drugs are not part of the 1400 the program covers?
And who pays the remainder of the cost? There's no way the drug companies are doing this out of the kindness of their hearts.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1400
Posted From: 205.188.117.8
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", speaking of picking on the little guy...McPhail was involved with 1) increased city council budgets (while other departments cut)...2) taxpayer sponsored vehicle for someone with a household income of several hundred thousand dollars (she could have turned it down as a gesture of saving money)...3) illegal enrollment of her daughter in another city's public school system...4) the DPS contractor wedding issue...5) taking on a second job (away from someone else) that was a conflict of interest with her primary job

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drug companies are part of it. the greater detroit area health council created the program. Most of the major healthcare players are board members. I believe Phizer, is the biggest drug company to participate, they have a simalar program in New York.

I attached an article from the freep or go to www.gdahc.org to learn more.

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/drugs5d_20050505.htm