Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » San Diego Mayor resigns- One of Time's Worst Three « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1633
Posted From: 205.188.117.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.kfmb.com/stories/st ory.10767.html

Mayor Murphy Announces Resignation

Last Updated:
04-25-05 at 2:34PM

Mayor Dick Murphy announced Monday that he will step down as mayor of San Diego.

"I truly believe that that decision is in the best interests of the city of San Diego," said Mayor Murphy.

During the press conference, Murphy discussed his accomplishments during his first term in office, such as the new downtown ballpark, a reduction in sewer spills and a drop in crime rates.

"When I ran for re-election, I had hoped that my second term would be as productive as the first term. But now that seems unlikely. It's clear to me that the city needs a fresh start," continued Murphy. "Next year will bring a change in the form of government to our city. And I now believe to be effective, the city will need a mayor who is elected by a majority of the people and who has a clear mandate to take this city forward."

Murphy said he will step down July 15. He chose that date because he said it will give him time to finish the fiscal budget for 2006 and will give the city council time to set up a special election for mayor.

Mayor Murphy thanked his staff, city employees, council members, friends and family at Monday's conference.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1634
Posted From: 205.188.117.8
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.fox6.com/news/local /story.aspx?content_id=E2E7D95 F-AC69-46C8-A79E-5BB2B9BB6A85

Mayor Murphy Resigns

San Diego Mayor Dick Murphy, whose administration has been dogged by budget shortfalls and federal probes into city fiscal practices, announced Monday he will resign his position effective July 15.

"A good leader knows when it is time to move on," Murphy said, flanked by his family and staffers at the City Administration Building.

"It is time for me to move on and time for a fresh start for the city," he said.

Murphy said he wants the City Council to set a special election for Nov. 8 to fill the mayoral post. That date would likely coincide with an expected statewide special election.

He said he selected the resignation date in order "to finish work on the fiscal year 2006 budget that needs to reduce the pension deficit, improve police and fire protection, and protect basic services like parks and libraries."

City Manager Lamont Ewell has predicted a $25 million shortfall in the city's coming fiscal year spending plan.

Murphy's announcement came one week after Time magazine named him one of the three worst big-city mayors in America, a designation he dismissed, saying the publication doesn't "understand what's going on."

His tenure has been fraught by a nearly $1.4 billion pension debt, budget shortfalls and federal investigations into errors and omissions in the city's financial disclosure practices.

San Diego's fiscal problems have led to the downgrading of the city's credit rating and the subsequent failure to enter the bond market to pay for needed and delayed infrastructure projects.

"When I ran for re-election, I had hoped that my second term would be as productive as the first," Murphy said. "But that now seems unlikely."

He credited his administration with the completion of Petco Park and state Route 56, building libraries, cutting sewer spills, undergrounding power lines and reducing violent crime.

Murphy's resignation could complicate the city's transition to a strong mayor form of government. Once the transition goes into effect Jan. 1, it will transfer the ability to hire and fire department heads and prepare the budget from the city manager to the mayor.

Murphy was re-elected for a second term in December following a contested race against Councilwoman Donna Frye.

Frye ran as a write-in candidate and nearly beat Murphy. She would have won had 5,500 ballots been counted in which voters wrote in her name, but failed to darken an adjacent oval.

In several lawsuits challenging the issue, judges upheld the state law that requires the so-called "bubble" to be filled in.

"I now believe to be effective, the city will need a mayor elected by a solid majority of the voters and with a clear mandate," Murphy said.

Frye said she would run again if there is a special election.

She prefers that a special election be held before July 15, over appointing someone to fill the mayor's office.

"The public has a right to make this decision," she said.

Frye also said Murphy's resignation is in "the best interest of the city."

"I think that there is a very good opportunity to heal some of the wounds, I guess, that have occurred between the mayor's office and the city attorney's office," Frye said. "That has certainly been a source of contention and problems."

City Attorney Michael Aguirre, who has implicated Murphy in his investigations into municipal finances, called the mayor's resignation an "admirable determination to do what is right."

"I respect the decision and pledge to work with the mayor over the next few months toward a smooth transition," he said.

Aguirre said he will advise the City Council in the next few days on the process to fill the mayoral vacancy.

He said the city charter permits the council to either appoint a mayor to serve until the next general election, or the ability to call for a special election to fill the vacancy.

Councilman Michael Zucchet is now deputy mayor. He could be named acting mayor upon Murphy's resignation until a new mayor is elected.

He said he was "speechless" when he heard Murphy was stepping down.

"He has gotten a lot of criticism for things out of his control," Zucchet said. "For him to do what he did today takes a lot of courage."

Zucchet, along with Councilman Ralph Inzunza, face federal charges for allegedly taking bribes from a strip club owner in return for help in repealing the city's "no-touch" ordinance.

The trial is scheduled to begin May 3.

Zucchet said he expects the proceedings to be over by July 15

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1893
Posted From: 141.217.173.175
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good for him! And now if only " HIP HOP KILLpatrick" could step down as mayor. Then Detroit will look forward to a new mayor with principles.