Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Hansen Clarke Announces Run « Previous Next »
Hansen Clarke in the Mayoral ringUrbanvaquero05-06-05  11:22 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/news/late stnews/pm4066_20050506.htm

One more added to the mix.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm..little late but interesting. I don't know anything about him. I think filing deadline is next week sometime. You need certified signatures, etc...He HAD to have been planning this!

Well good luck to him...he's got a tough road ahead!

www.sharonandbenny.com

Amelia
Username: Amelia

Post Number: 603
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Q:
What you should know is that he's playing "let's make a deal". Nothing new.

Quinn

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a novice...what exactly do you mean "lets make a deal."

I thought he supported Kwame?

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2297
Posted From: 12.75.31.252
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meh. He did this last time. Announced a run for mayor, dropped into the council race, and then ran for senate.

Mayor material he ain't.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is just trying to get his name out there for something in the future. CW has that he will probably pull from Hendrix voters - but I doubt much in % wise.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1399
Posted From: 205.188.117.8
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" please explain your assertion that Clarke would "probably pull from Hendrix voters". In all honesty, his constituency seems to be the so-called "activist"-type which would almost certainly pull from McPhail.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually no he tends to appeal to upper white income voters (not a McPhail strong point) and Hispanics (who probably are not on the Hendrix side or if they are a small voting block in the city)... I was at an Indian Village Hack Party a few weeks ago and there were some folks there talking about Clark running (apparently they had signed a petition)...they were excited at his running as a number of people were. McPhail supporters are loyal to her and won't jump ship. Hendrix has a shallow voting base - meaning that his supporters don't know him or anything about him other than he worked for Archer (not much to run on)... Clark is also not tainted with the school board take over and is not cozy with McNamara administration. Plus he is seen by a lot of people (conservative voters who were leaning towards Hendrix's republican persona) as a self-made man - where Hendrix has been defined by his work under Archer and McNamara. Republicans like self-made men. ALSO he has ran for an won public office something hendrix has not done.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1401
Posted From: 205.188.117.8
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" EXPLAIN means to support your assertions with facts, not to make more claims without any substance behind them. Let's be honest here (I know, you can't)...McPhail, Hendrix, and Clarke are all self-made, Kilpatrick is the only 'advantaged' mayoral candidate. Besides, McPhail supporters are no doubt drawn to Clarke because he too has run for numerous offices. Now what was that about you claiming to have attended a function? :-)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 443
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gald you are smiling Metro. It was a Hack Party in IVA my sweetie lives there and we went together. I was surprised at the support there for him. I guess he is from the east side (I don't know much about him) - but I know he is liked. I am sure he will pull some from McPhail and KK but my guess is the majority from Hendrix. He is the one with the shallowest base - remember all polling shows he is not known. So people might be voting for him because he is not McPhail and not Kilpatrick. McPhail and Kilpatrick having stronger bases ... Hendrix does not.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3374
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to see how the hell you can back up your sweeping generalities.
Shocking what can be passed off as fact these days.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1402
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well "Ilovedetroit" backing up flawed opinion with more flawed opinion is just as good as plain old making up things, I guess. Your reasoning abilities are truly unique (shall we say). By the way, what exactly are "upper white income voters"?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 444
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The few that there are in Detroit...I would say anyone over 150k a year (ask Bin to look up the definition). And my "flawed" opinion is my opinion...and I do speak with others to gather feedback so it is a collective opinion. Does matter what we say on here what matters is the polling results and who wins in August.

Quinn

Post Number: 277
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy, MAN YOU ARE ONE PISSY PERSON!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 445
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is the new word the Hendrix people like to use "sweeping generalities" must be something he said in a moment of intellect that they all keep repearing like parakeets.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 1930
Posted From: 141.217.173.175
Posted on Saturday, May 07, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like King Kwame's prince is running for mayor. Let's see he has the most principles.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1538
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like he best connects with the voters: I once supported Kwame because of all of his great promise, but now I must do everything in my power to stop him from driving Detroit further down into an abyss.

The person that is the most opposite of Kwame will win. Kwame values Kwame time and Clarke values the voters. McPhail is guaranteed bad PR for Detroit and Clarke is the all-american dream. Hendrix has a history of following and Clarke has a history of leading. He just needs to get some more name recognition.

I think Lowell is right in saying Kwame's only last ditch effort is to start flinging some mud and god knows McPhail can't resist flinging as much as she can. If Hendrix starts getting dirty, it will be obvious which of the candidates is most likely to bring change and better regional co-operation.

Is this the none of the above some folks were looking for?

Quinn

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this is crazy...will Hansen actually file tuesday with the necessary amount of petition signatures?

WCPO_INTERN, Clarke has said he was running before, pulled out, yada yada...This seems like a ploy for attention, not a real candidacy. BUT, time will tell.

I think anyone who wants to run should have the chance especially this year with the possibility of removing da King. Even Dr. Elena...ahem what ever happened to her?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 447
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clark is in there because KK wants him there. He wants him there to draw votes off of Hendrix.

Also Intern...if you actually think that McPhail will embarass Detroit then you have never met her.

The_aram

Post Number: 3393
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you back that up, ILD? Or is that more hopeless speculation you've cooked up to make yourself feel better about the McPhail campaign?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 448
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well how would you like me to back it up? How about a signed and notorized document from KK? Would that make you happy. If you think really hard about how Detroit politics work (or politics in general) ... you would come to the realization that KK needs to take someone out by August. Clark has appeal to those who don't want McPhail and or to those who don't know/want Hendrix. McPhail's support is very strong amongst her base and KK knows he can't shake that. Hendrix (as the polls show) is somewhere between 36-50% un-known by Detroiters. KK is going to define Hendrix for him. KK is so low in the ratings that he has really nothing to lose but come out fighting and he will try and take Hendrix out. It is pretty simple when you think about it. Clark is a red herring thrown in there. I am sure there are some nods and winks behind the scenes that will procure a spot for Clark if KK wins. Clark is also under term limits - he has nothing to lose by running! There is my reasoning. After the primary KK will do all he can to kill off McPhail. He has LOTS of money and a legacy to procure this will be a VERY tough fight.

The_aram

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the fact that your conspiracy theories are impossible to prove. Not an iota of credible information.
That's all.

I could definitely see a scenario where Kwame doesn't make it out of the primaries. It's very conceivable. For a mayor that is as universally unpopular as he is, it could certainly translate into an extremely poor showing in August. How much impact Clarke will have on that is debatable.
I do not see Clarke as being a significant threat to Hendrix. Nor as a threat to McPhail.
But I'm just surmising- what we're all overlooking is that it's MAY. The primaries are in AUGUST. That's, count 'em, 3 months away. Alot can happen in 3 months. Alot of speeches and events and town halls and commercials and lawn signs and bumper stickers yet to come.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 449
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point aram. And as far as my "conspiracy theory"....it is just that a theory. But isn't this board for discussing ideas and thoughts and debating them?

Also another thing on Clark... my perception of him is that he is progressive. He will appeal to a progressive educated voter...he has run forums on the plight of black men and he has spoken in favor of gay rights (not a topic that will attractive to the typical voter in Detroit). Those are the things that stick in my mind.

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 68.43.156.115
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarke's got my vote. WHat I heard was he ran for City Council but he lost. My friend told me he speaks out for us, and he urges people to keep this city clean.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 450
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't dosagree that he is a good guy...but he has zero chances of winning! But glad he is running.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2708
Posted From: 67.37.84.231
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a man who sole success is due to his name recognition. That is in addition to his subterfuge when he ran for the house years ago.

But Ed Sarpolous said it right, Hansen has no money. He has no name recognition beyond his district and not much there. Beyong those folks who follow politics NO ONE knows who he is. He CAN'T take votes from anyone. If he wants to spend money to run for mayor, I say let him. Let him spend the money. Let him campaign. He just might campaign himself out of his current office and out of politics. Detroiters ain't fools and Hansen will have to have something to say if he is serious. If not then he will have to answer to ALL of Detroit.

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 207.74.112.63
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being a late entry and probably not being able to match the eventual war chests of the other major candidates adds to the premise that Hansen Clarke may be running as a spoiler drawing votes from the major primary candidates. The question is just whose vote total, if anyone, he might effect.
Bob Cosgrove

Brian

Post Number: 2711
Posted From: 67.37.84.231
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In order to be a spoiler and draw votes, you have to be able to draw votes. Let's see where he fits in with possible number of votes for August. Will anyone, he, do a poll?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1405
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", let's once again correct your false claims...

1. As of the last released media polls, Hendrix was between 25-40% unknown, not 50% (an erroneous figure that you continue to use for some reason, imagine that...funny, the only numbers that are actually close to 50% are McPhail's unfavorability).

2. How can Clarke appeal to voters that don't know Hendrix when Clarke has less name recognition than Hendrix?

3. Again, McPhail supporters shilling for Kilpatrick (showing that McPhail and Kilpatrick are basically one in the same). Clarke was (still is?) a Kilpatrick supporter and "suddenly" all the McPhail supporters have such kind words for him.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 451
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said already that Clark is a plant of Kilpatrick to draw off Hendrix - Clrk is limited by term limits. KK needs to kill off either Hendrix or McPhail. If you had a candidate that 40% of the people did not know who would you try to take out? McPhail and Napoleon have a STRONG base...that KK will need to shake over time.

Clark is very well known in the upper income areas of Detroit - He is seen by progressive and upper income whites as a strong candidate (Hendrix has strong support here)... he also has strong Hispanic support (I beleive his mother is Hispanic) although that is not a large voting base in Detroit. The Hendrix number of 50% was in the TV poll - regardless 40% ain't good! Just because you are not progressive doesn't mean others are not Metro. If you dont believe me on Clark ask anyone who lives in IVA (he is their state rep and they love him).

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1542
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait for the next batch of poll results. Whatever they say, it will definently be interesting.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1408
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee "Ilovedetroit" I don't know...If you had a candidate that had (between 25% and) 40% unknown status and another that was over 90% known, which one would you try to take out? (Regardless of the fact that the more well known candidate was also near 50% negative rating...not good!)

Again, "Ilovedetroit" you are flat out lying. There was no 50% number of Hendrix being unknown, not in TV, radio, newspaper, internet, telegraph, morse code, none. Give Detroiters some credit, we're not as dumb as you (and McPhail...and Kilpatrick) think.

By the way, how does Hendrix's ethnicity keep changing? First his detractors say that he's half White, now it's Hispanic? I guess it's just like that audience that you saw at his formal announcement that morphed from White to Black and back again. More importantly, why are the McPhail as well as the Kilpatrick campaigns attempting to divide Detroiters with the race game?

Also, you previously insisted that the term was "upper white income" and now you're saying "upper income white". Which one is it? :-)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 455
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - I was talking about Clark being 1/2 Hispanic (I stated that I thought his mother was hispanic) - I stated that he does well in that community because people know him. I never even mentioned Hendrix as being Hispanic. I stated what I believe to be a fact...not speaking for McPhail or Kilpatrick...stating that he will probably have an appeal to upper income white voters. If you are naive enough to think that a race in politics is not about race then I want to sell you some ice cubes in Alaska! A political race is about appealing to all kinds of ethnic groups, and religious groups....remember how Bush appealed to cultural conservatives in both the white/hispanic/AA communities??? My comments on Hendrix appealing to upper income white voters is an observation. As much as you like to make fun of me...I do travel in a lot of circles in Detroit (I just don't sit at home on DetroitYes all day) and I have noted that upper income whites and conservatinve/upper income AAs have an appeal to Hendrix....probably because of his association to Archer. He is the "comfort" candidate to them and their business interest in the city. I am not injecting anything negative on race into the race...I am simply stating my observations. OR should I just not say anything for fear of offending someone? I know YOU want to make it a racial issue when it is not. Race issues are sensationalistic and will make Hendrix to be looked like he is being picked on! Look at how much press was given to McPhail on Sambo! My thoughts are my thoughts and mine alone. If someone agrees or disagrees that is their choice. I am lucky in that I am of mixed race heritage and have been able to travel in multiple circles and to get different perspectives on things that maybe someone of one culture might not. Metro - It is not a hard thing to do...sit and listen, observe and draw a conclusion from that observation. Share that observation that is all I am doing. AND I am not flat out lying. As far as the 50% goes fine I won't use that figure as I cannot locate the link that stated that, however, he is still at 40% unknown, which is not good. And yes McPhail is at 46% (I think was the number - I am sure you have it memorized) un-likeability which is something that she needs to work. It does not surprise me that her number is there...alot of people have seen her viewed as negative by the press. If they press is not on your side then they will do a lot to bring you down. Like I said Henrix is the comfort candidate, KK they know what they are getting like it or not no surprises, McPhail is the surprise candidate. She makes people nervous because they know she is tough and that she will kick some corrupt butt in this town. When McPhail is mayor this town will be turned upside down. She will make some serious changes and the powers that be ---- Detroit News, McNamara Administration, and certain TV outlets don't really want things changed too much as it brings out the things that people want hidden. Those are my observations and thoughts...mine only... gleaned from my brain and my observations. Care to comment?

PS - One reason why The Detroit News does not care for McPhail...think about it. She was one of two co-attorneys that defeated Prop E (the right to take back our school board and our vote)..they defeated E with only a few hundred thousand dollars and grass roots efforts...the News was one of the biggest contributors to win E.

Brian

Post Number: 2720
Posted From: 67.37.83.252
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rumor has it that Hansens entry into the race is pushing folks to bring in Archer's involvement.

coincidence?

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1090
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Monday, May 09, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the News was one of the biggest contributors to win E."

Really? So the newspaper cut the biggest check, gave the most money, "was one of the biggest contributors" to win Prop E? Where did that nugget of misinformation come from?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 460
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - Look it up along w/ the Chamber of Commerce. Remember they are a republican paper. Makes sense.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1409
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", they're called paragraphs, use them. Race baiting, the name game, class warfare, blaiming the media, making excuses...all of these negative tactics by the McPhail campaign are more of the same tactics from the Kilpatrick Administration. Bottom line, Detroit DOES NOT need a repeat of the past 3 and a half years!

You're right about one thing...McPhail makes people nervous...because of her instability.

The media did not accuse Archer of sexual harrassment...McPhail did.

The media did not attend the Sambo awards (and no the "Michigan Citizen is not media)...McPhail did.

The media did not propose a subway, college scholarships for every DPS student, and other ridiculous plans...McPhail did.

The media has not run for 5 different public offices...McPhail did.

The media did not state it would lay off 6,000 workers, then deny the statement, then apologize for the denial...McPhail did.

The media did not accuse Kilpatrick of being a thug and hot-wiring her chair...McPhail did.

The media did not skip the bond refinancing vote in an attempt at grandstanding...McPhail did.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, May 10, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never said McPhail was unstable - that is a LIE Metro! I said she is tough and will make changes and that scares the corrupt people in this town! I said that Hendrix is the comfortable candidate -he is predictable.

McPhail accused Archer of sexual harassment? I have never heard this one before - did you make this up? I thought it was Hendrix who accused Archer of sexual harassment?

McPhail never proposed a subway system? Where did you get that idea from? She did propose that we eventually need to institute a light rail system from downtown to the airport (as most major cities do this) and then eventually running a line up through Detroit to link with Oakland Co. I have never heard the term subway? That is not even feasible at this point.

The Detroit Children's Fund is a tested plan and it is the cornerstone to help retain and repopulate Detroit. WHY would you even think this is a bad plan? I mean what is Hendrix proposing? Big Brother watching with cameras on street corners? Heck the criminals will just go to another spot - will we eventually just have 50,000 cameras in town? Sounds very George Bush to me - but if course I still think Hendrix is a republican anyway. He was waaaay to cozy with Engler.

She has ran for 4 offices and so what? She lost mayor by 4% points to Archer. And she lost prosecutor and wayne co exec....BIG DEAL. She tried and she has always done very respectable in her races. Is it a crime to try?

The 6000 workers was a complete screw up on Detroit News part. It has been addressed and you have heard nothing since - they know they made a mistake being the News - and you can hardly expect them to be lenient on McPhail - they hate her. But why would a Republican conservative paper give any Detroit candidate a decent time other than Hendrix (Mr I will make the big wigs who run Detroit happy Hendrix).

Kilpatrick is a thug. And she never said that he wired her chair. What she said is " I would not put anything past him".

McPhail skipped the vote to do what she felt was best for the city. It is called politics. And it happens every day. At least she is working for the city and doing what is best for the people. Hendrix outsourced jobs to staffing solutions while in the mayors office and then when he left the city he went to work for Staffing Solutions, for a short time and not very illustrious career there. Now that is a conflict. GIve a company work then go work for them after you give them business. Nice job Freloader Hendrix.