Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Mayor Kilpatrick Announces "Gloves are off, I am running" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1810
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick says gloves are off and race is on

He pays Detroit for $9,000 he charged on city credit card
May 18, 2005

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/kilp18e_20050518.htm

BY M.L. ELRICK, JIM SCHAEFER and MARISOL BELLO
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

Battered by news reports about his use of a city-issued credit card and a series of scandals that have clouded his political future, a defiant Kwame Kilpatrick said Tuesday he would fight the media and his critics to win a second term as mayor of Detroit.

Kilpatrick would not discuss a check for nearly $9,000 he wrote to the city Tuesday in the wake of a Free Press story about expenses his administration deleted from credit card records. The newspaper obtained the documents after a two-year wait and a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

Instead, in front of hundreds of supporters, Kilpatrick wiped away tears as his parents defended his performance over the past 3 1/2 years during a rally announcing the mayor's re-election bid.

His father, Bernard Kilpatrick, likened the unfounded rumor that his son held a wild party at the city-owned Manoogian Mansion in 2002 to the Nazis' blaming of the Jews for Germany's problems.

"They had a big lie in Europe. A guy by the name of Goering said that the Jews was responsible for all the misery that the Germans was having. One lie! And that lie caught on," he said. "And before it was all over, 6 million of them died. Off of one big lie."

Hermann Goering was a Nazi politician.

The mayor's mother, U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Detroit, urged Detroiters to rally around her son.

"Don't lay down, stand up. Don't be quiet, speak up," she said. "Don't let too many people talk about y'all's boy."

The mayor, standing on a dais surrounded by rows of tasteful new brick-and-siding homes on the city's near west side, took a few moments to compose himself and said: "I ain't cried since I was 10 years old."

But his tone quickly changed.

"We're not stopping this progress because somebody said something about me," he said, referring to media reports about his administration's conduct. "We're not stopping this progress because the news media are fixated on Kwame Kilpatrick."

The mayor blamed cuts in federal and state aid for contributing to a budget crisis that threatens to force the city into receivership. He said he also inherited a city with a police department in chaos.

In an apparent shot at former Mayor Dennis Archer, who is expected to endorse Kilpatrick rival and his former deputy Freman Hendrix later this month, Kilpatrick said: "Nothing was done over the past 8 years to correct that situation. Nothing was done. I'm not being defensive. But the gloves are off now."

Archer served as mayor from 1994 to 2002.

"It's time for some offense," said Kilpatrick, a former college football player. The crowd cheered. "As an offensive tackle, I can't wait to hit someone."

Among his accomplishments he listed improving fire department apparatus, getting grass cut in city parks and resurfacing 350 miles of city roads.

Still, talk of the mayor's use of the city's MasterCard dominated the airwaves Tuesday. And City Council members said they are frustrated by the administration.

Last week, the council voted unanimously to discontinue all unnecessary travel and use of city-issued credit cards. The move was aimed directly at Kilpatrick, the only Detroit official with a city credit card.

Auditor General Joseph Harris said Tuesday that given all the missing receipts and questionable charges on the card, the mayor might have to reimburse the city for about $50,000. Harris said the mayor shouldn't have to pay back those trips that were a part of legitimate city business.

"He's the top dog and nobody is going to challenge him," Harris said. "But he has to be accountable."

Earlier Tuesday, Kilpatrick reimbursed the city for some expenses he put on his city credit card during his first 33 months in office, keeping a promise from a day earlier.

In a news release, the mayor said he cut a check for $8,978.41, but did not specify what expenses the reimbursement covered.

The amount he paid back did not cover the $11,644.84 put on the city's credit card for hotel expenses during the 2002 Super Bowl in New Orleans.

Chief of Staff Christine Beatty had told the Free Press the city is contesting charges for at least two rooms that she said were billed in error. She said they were occupied by people she did not know.

The Free Press reported Tuesday that Kilpatrick's administration withheld information about certain expenses when it released city credit card records to the newspaper.

The newspaper obtained unedited versions of the same documents from Harris.

Among the documents Kilpatrick withheld from the newspaper were a receipt showing the city paid for his family baby-sitter's stay in a Las Vegas hotel, nearly $4,000 in chauffeur service over four days in Washington, D.C., an $836 New Orleans hotel charge for his sister, Ayanna Kilpatrick, and a $5,450-a-night luxury suite in a Vegas hotel, where Kilpatrick put up his family.

Kilpatrick reimbursed some of those charges on April 12, the day the city agreed to release credit card records to the newspaper.

The city argued that omissions are legal under the Freedom of Information Act because the charges were either reimbursed or disputed. Free Press lawyers contend the omissions are not proper.

Contact M.L. ELRICK at 313-223-3327 or elrick@freepress.com and JIM SCHAEFER at 313-223-4542 or

schaefer@freepress.com.

Jmy8
Username: Jmy8

Post Number: 2347
Posted From: 12.75.50.88
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Among his accomplishments he listed improving fire department apparatus, getting grass cut in city parks and resurfacing 350 miles of city roads.

We're running on a 24-day schedule here; hope he isn't claiming it's every ten days.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 493
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been bitching for 5 years about the street in front of my house having more pot holes than most 3rd world country roads. AND guess what I came home yesterday and it is all torn up and they are resurfacing it....funny how all this is happening now!

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1435
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's count how many groups were offended by the remarks made at Kilpatrick's campaign announcement...Black people, White people, Jewish people, Detroiters, young people, senior citizens, educated/intelligent people, media

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1067
Posted From: 68.73.53.134
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Kilpatrick says gloves are off"

Yeah, its so much easier to steal without those damn gloves getting in the way.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2019
Posted From: 141.217.173.167
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Down with the KING! KING KWAME KILLpatrick. His political party is going to over soon. Therw would NO more spending our tax dollars through his credit cards. And he's going to leave home without it.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 500
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

metro - OMG for once we agree. I think he imagined to offend most everyone...I think his father summed it up best when he said "ALL young black men should be affraid - if they can treat my son this way they can treat you the same way to".... If I was a young black man I would be pissed! Is he saying young black men all abuse city credit cards, cheat on their wives with their chief of staff, wear big stupid earrings, screw the city out of money, go to Vegas on tax payer dollars? OF all people that should be most pissed is young black men!

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice try "Ilovedetroit". Don't "talk about ya' boy" like that (as Mom Kilpatrick says)! Like you said, he's got your vote (since McPhail may not make it past the primary).

Restoretheroar
Username: Restoretheroar

Post Number: 379
Posted From: 199.67.138.25
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fox News take.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0 ,2933,156992,00.html

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 505
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just remember as offensive as his speech was I would still vote for him over Hendrix...

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1118
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ild - For all of your misplaced hatred of Freman Hendrix over his appointment by Dennis Archer to the interim school board, why do you not place the blame where it corectly belongs? Kwame went to Engler and lobbied for your disenfranchisement. Kwame supported he legislation that took away local control of the schools. And all this took place before he even got to be mayor. His crimes and mistakes since taking office are well documented and listed elsewhere. But don't forget his polticking prior to the vote on Prop E. and his publicly acknowledged attempts to gain control over the DPS money and contracts.

And you, of all people, would still vote for the guy when Sharon loses in August? That's just plain hypocritical or ignorant, but either way it's shameful. Be true to your handle, ild.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Restoretheroar thanks for the link to Fox News. Don't you just love that shot with the big billboard over looking the abandoned truck and tires. "Standing strong for Detroit", nice picture!!!

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1485
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you notice in KKs statements mentioned in the freep article were directed toward the Archer Administration (and therefore Hendrix by association)? The freep didn't mention KK saying anything about the City Council (which would be a shot at McPhail).

What does this story from the freep imply re the primary? That KK is fighting with Hendrix for second place in the primary? OR would KK rather face McPhail than Hendrix in the election? OR is McPhail a distant 3rd so we are merely seeing what will happen in the general eletion? What's up?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 508
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can guarantee that KK is trying to take out Hendrix. They are firing shots at each other (via their minions - Gaddis/Blackwell/Dumas) on morning talk radio. KK has not said anything about McPhail other than veiled references to her city council duties. He knows that she has strong support amongst the Prop E people and that her base is unshakeable (unless they catch her in bed with a dead man or a live woman)...KK is going after Hendrix - his association with Archer does not play well with many folks in the city and the Prop E school takeover pisses a lot of folks off. The Primary will include McPhail not sure who she will be with. I am still thinking the mayor will make it...but he keeps saying some damn dumb things. However, those bill boards are MIGHTY BIG! Detroit's high illiteracy rate translates to lots of visual things.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can guarantee"...ok "Ilovedetroit" you lost it right there. Once again a McPhail supporter shilling for Kilpatrick, demonstrating that they are basically one in the same.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 512
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHA one in the same! If McPhail heard that her hair would curl right up! Boy you are dumb as a box of rocks Metro if you believe that statement! Start packing your bags for Ferndale buddy!

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't care if those billboards stretched from the eastside to the westside. I wouldn't vote for him!!! PERIOD!!!

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 2991
Posted From: 68.255.163.69
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD: maybe the repair of your street was already scheduled without YOUR knowledge, as most street repair is (even as far back as 5 years ago when Archer made all those promises regarding the same). Go figure .... on a City & B-cratic process.

Black-atcha .... saying, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth."

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 514
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know...I just think it is funny after all these years the week he announces he is running it finally gets fixed go figure!

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3003
Posted From: 68.255.163.69
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gotcha .... glad the tax dollars are working for ya.

Black-atcha ..... as the runs for elective office tighten up

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually "Ilovedetroit" I think you and your crew will be heading for Southfield or Ecorse.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 518
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - You were the one who said you were leaving and I will know when you are gone becuase the smell of a liar will be gone with you!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2752
Posted From: 68.73.32.127
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, when Freman loses where are you going to go?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 722
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone just keep talking about these three candidates... like one of them is going to be better than the others. Get a clue from the lack of consensus.

Disillusionment-atcha

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 519
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Llyn - Thank you for your thought provoking insight :-)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 723
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<--------- following in Ras's footsteps ilovedetroit.

:-)