Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Mayor's dad apolgizes to Jews « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1826
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Kilpatrick

Dad's offensive remark does campaign no justice
May 19, 2005

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick appears ready to run for re-election against the media, calling them unfair, prying, harassing and so on. That's his prerogative.

But Bernard Kilpatrick's comparison of his son's media treatment to the Holocaust was offensive historical hyperbole. Bernard Kilpatrick apologized Wednesday for the remarks, as he should have. Unfortunately, hurtful words can never fully be taken back. Just ask Mexican President Vicente Fox, who insulted African Americans last week and then scrambled to do damage control.

The mayor must learn to distance himself from reckless and irresponsible statements made by those in his inner circle and stop whining that reporters are picking on him. He can complain, with some justification, about media coverage of the city. But the mayor pretty much made his own mess by big-timing it at the city's expense

Kicking off his campaign on Tuesday, Kilpatrick would have been wiser to simply speak for himself than to call upon his parents to defend his performance of the past three and a half years.

The mayor's father compared the rumor that his son held a wild party at the city-owned Manoogian Mansion in 2002 to the Nazis' blaming of the Jews for Germany's problems. "That lie caught on," Bernard Kilpatrick told hundreds of supporters. "And before it was all over, 6 million of them died."

Get real. The media may not be perfect, but since when is aggressive reporting on a public servant in the same league as genocide? Bernard Kilpatrick's ill-chosen remarks are an insult to the memory of all those who died under Nazi brutality.

Kilpatrick's mother, U.S. Rep. Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick, D-Detroit, joined in the defense of her son by saying, "Don't let too many people talk about y'all's boy."

Truth be told, Kilpatrick has too often acted like a spoiled child who thinks he's entitled to whatever he wants and sulks when he doesn't get it.

Detroit faces enormous problems, including cuts in federal and state aid. It would be stupid to blame the mayor for all the city's woes. It's equally silly for him to blame the media for all his problems. Comparing the mayor's media problem with the murder of 6 million Jews is beyond silly. It's contemptible.

As this pivotal campaign moves forward, Kilpatrick and his supporters must do better if they want to regain the city's trust.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1827
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor's father is sorry for remarks

He calls Holocaust reference 'ill-advised and inappropriate'
May 19, 2005

BY M.L. ELRICK
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Bernard Kilpatrick apologized Wednesday for likening a rumor that Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick threw a wild party to Nazi propaganda.

"On Tuesday, I made a reference to the Holocaust that I realize, in retrospect, was ill-advised and inappropriate," Bernard Kilpatrick, the mayor's father, said in a written statement released Wednesday afternoon. "I regret making those remarks.

"I would never intentionally do or say anything to trivialize one of the most grievous atrocities in the history of the world. I apologize profusely to anyone who was hurt by my comments."

Bernard Kilpatrick made the remarks Tuesday during an unscheduled and unscripted speech at a rally kicking off the mayor's re-election campaign. He mentioned a rumor that the mayor held a wild party at the city-owned Manoogian Mansion that has been much investigated, but never proven.

He linked the spread of the rumor to Nazi propaganda blaming Jews for Germany's problems.

"They had a big lie in Europe. A guy by the name of Goering said that the Jews was responsible for all the misery that the Germans was having. One lie! And that lie caught on," he said. "And before it was all over, 6 million of them died. Off of one big lie."

Rabbi Charles Rosenzveig, founder and chief executive officer of the Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills, welcomed the apology.

"The implication he was trying to make, namely by committing a lie ... against the mayor would somehow cause a Holocaust of black people, is quite a stretch," Rosenzveig said.

He said Bernard Kilpatrick's remarks were "very uncalled for and unwise," adding, "To compare this to a holocaust is to water down the Holocaust."

Rosenzveig said he wants to invite the mayor, his father and their families to visit the Holocaust center "to realize the magnitude of that event and how it is incomprehensible to compare anything to it."

Contact M.L. ELRICK at 313-223-3327 or elrick@freepress.com.

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/bernard19e_20050519.htm

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2746
Posted From: 68.73.32.190
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an insensitive statement,

quote:

Rosenzveig said he wants to invite the mayor, his father and their families to visit the Holocaust center "to realize the magnitude of that event and how it is incomprehensible to compare anything to it."

I guess Black folks have not suffered if you listen to some people. Perhaps we have it too good. Perhaps Bernard said what some people thought. But having to rely on the white press, he got the coverage above. Kwame should have supported Black owned businesses as well as the Black Press, now he has no one to save his ass.

Sorta like the Jews back in Germany.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2028
Posted From: 141.217.173.159
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Black and Jews, What do they have in common?

Well they both been slaves for years.

They both been under racial oppression for a long time.

The Early Jews were Hebrews and they were BLACK.

And they both used to share the community circle.

KING KWAME'S FATHER should never use thoughtcrime to offend the Jews. That would put his son political campaign in jeopardy in no time. In fact KING KWAME'S political campaign is already in jeopardy anyway. Freedom of speech is now becoming limited here in the United States.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1440
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again, a McPhail supporter (Brian) shilling for Kilpatrick. Guess what Brian, the Black Civil Rights movement was/is of significant magnitude and it is incomprehensible to compare anything to it. Likewise, the Holocaust stands on its on. I've said this before about people comparing causes.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 513
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - Do you always repeat yourself? I think that is a sign of insanity?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Friday, May 20, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" - Do you always repeat lies that you make up? I think that is the sign of a loser.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 517
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - You have already established yourself as a liar and just a plain sad person. I have a vision of you in my head as this geek who sits around taking his frustrations with life out on a web site. You do nothing but attack everything I say..which is fine. But you never having anything intelligent to say. It is always the same ole same ole tactic...bait and swith with the same old lines attached to everything you say.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2750
Posted From: 68.73.32.127
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, do you and your fellow campaigners not see importance historical significance in these events? I hardly think the holocaust, slavery, the civil rights movemtents, etc. are causes. Thinking of them as such reduces them to being important to only those involved as opposed to important lessons for all people. Those lessons is what BK tried to use as a message. But today, there are Black folks who fear speaking about these type of issues. You sound as though you and your supporters want to shun Black issues. That would fit the track record of your candidate.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1452
Posted on Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" once again, jumping from thread to thread to repeat false claims that you cannot back up won't make those allegations come true. Speaking of bait and switch...a discussion of the stability of McPhail's marriage magically turns into talking about her childhood and daughters.

Brian, playing the semantic game and going into tangents based on such word play won't work anymore than any of the other distractions that you, McPhail, nor Kilpatrick attempt to use.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 249
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess these folks are mad at the mayor...

Kwame sign

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2105
Posted From: 141.217.173.157
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1honey,

I was wondering why one Detroit black dominate church put a slanderous word on the bulletin board anyway?