Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Campaign Slogans « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1122
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One miffed but curious forum poster said, "The BS I read on this thread TOTALLY PISSES me off, vary rarely do I read anything of substance from any of the candidate's supporters."

T'is true. So instead of issues, let's look at the slogans.

Sharon McPhail has adopted the disingenuous "Elect the Power of 2."

Kwame Kilpatrick has opted to open with the divisive and obliquely racist, "Our Mayor..Standing Strong...For Detroit."

Freman Hendrick has the innocuous political cliche "Leadership That Works."

Stripped of issues and positions, it looks like Sharon is running on Benny's dubious coattails, Kwame is counting on incumbancy, and Freman Hendrix is actually promising something(s) (that his opponents don't offer - leadership and work).

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can just see all the positive comments coming that will be posted on this thread.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Merchant I can to...let me toss in the first bomb errr I mean ball.

"Leadership that works"...is he refering to his time with McNamara administration and how the organization did so many great things for Detroit? Or when he was in charge of roads and only put 800k into Detoit? Or when he did such a FABULOUS job of taking over the school board? Or how when he went to Staffing Solutions as CEO they were soooooooooo glad to see him go (even though he did outsource city jobs to them while DM and then he went to work for them - that is pretty suspicious)...OR lets just talk about Detroit in general.

While DM:
- Detroit schools were taken over that resulted in our children's money being stolen by corruption and outsourcing business to his friends who had contracts.

- Detroit's population went down by 100,000 - he and Archer were so busy making the downtown pretty for suburbanites that they forgot about us Detroiters who live in the neighborhoods.

There is some good examples of how leadership works!

Vote for Hendrix if you want the same old same old we have been getting for 12 years!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 299
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see "Hope for Detroit" plastered on all McPhail's stuff now...

http://www.sharonandbenny.com/

Bucho
Username: Bucho

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 12.41.112.201
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A little story my pastor told me Saturday at our monthly food program.

Background: Military Ave. Community Church is on the corner of Lafayette and Military Ave., close to Livernois and I-75. The church has been there for 101 years.

Accross the street, there was an empty lot (I think, it could have been an abandon building) owned by the city. This was in the early 90's. During our conversation, my pastor talked about how he couldn't get anyody from the CAY runned city government to help him in obtaining this property for church use. He tried for 2 years to no avail.

Then Archer came in.

Quickly Archer started sponsoring community town hall meetings with pastors and other community leaders. At these meetings Archer would bring in his community development directors, the chief of police, and other city government officials to hear the needs of the neighboorhoods. My pastor attended one of these meetings and expressed his frustrations with obtaining the city owned land across the street from the church. That night he was put in contact with one of Archer's community development directors and within 2 WEEKS had contacts pulled together and hearings scheduled. Now stands a gymnaisium and computer lab.

Southwest Detroit is a neighborhood that progressed under the leadership of Archer.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 536
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a nice story Bucho. On the other hand I have been going to the city complaining about my bad street since 1998. Where I live we have a very active community association. We wrote constant letters and complained and at one point someone from Archer's office came out and spoke to us and promised our street would be fixed that summer (1999)...well it finally got fixed two weeks ago in 2005. So for every good Archer story there is a bad one about the neighborhoods not being taken care of. I am knocking Archer he had his priorites elsewhere - downtown. What upsets me (and KK has not been much better) the neighborhoods just get forgotten and people move out!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2755
Posted From: 67.37.84.37
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, that is funny. Your slogan is kicking your ass in Detroit. At least the mayor and Sharon’s slogan carry a message. Folks are still trying to figure out leadership. Some folks even freuqntly talk about how there can be bad and poor leadership. I guess that’s why you add, ‘that works’ to the end. But that should be a given. Otherwise, what is the point.

But when you look at the track record it seems that during the school board fisaco the leadership didn’t work. In fact it failed. It crashed and burned. It sent Freman running screaming from the reform board to join a city contractor. He was not heard from for four years. He lived off his wife because he didn’t have any money. He had to use campaign funds to get himself a car. Despite his many years of working and his collecting his government pension, he doesn’t have enough money for $299 per month. I guess the money required to pay for two kids in college is a LOTT.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 7246
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You choose to bring up the School board fiasco. Have you forgot that Kwame pushed that through to while in Lansing, yet still got elected Mayor of Detroit? That is a VERY weak argument if ya ask me.

Sharon worked for two cities which was a conflict of interest, until a judge made her quit. Then she appointed somebody on her staff.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1456
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, McPhail's "Power of Two" was talking about her two jobs in Ecorse and Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, May 25, 2005 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great. Typical of Freloader people. Slam slam slam anything McPhail people post on here and then not answer the thread-question.

What is your slogan?

Helloooooo!?!?!?

Brian

Post Number: 2757
Posted From: 67.37.84.120
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sport, I hear the mayor will be using the school board issue against freman. KK was smart enough not to sign anything (like Archer) showing his direct involvment. And KK voted against it in Lansing. Pretty Sneaky!

But Hendrix sat on the board, asked the be the chairman and then hired Burnley.

Its why Freman has to explain WHY he took part in that takeover even to his own supporters.

MD, Freman can talk about two jobs, the one he took with the city and then the one he took with a city contractor who donated money to his bosses mayoral campaign.

Brian

Post Number: 2758
Posted From: 67.37.84.120
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have heard and seen Roger Short out in the community at a community association meeting. He did not ask folks to vote for kwame, BUT he did produce a document showing how bad finances were caused by things Archer did and how Kwame has had to 'clean up the mess' (my words). I have a copy of the document as they were passed out to the audience. It seems that Kwame has a strategy to run on. Will it work?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, once again you have a different take on the facts. According to you Hendrix was Deputy Mayor and working as COO of S3 at the same time. Interesting. Also your new version of events in regards to then-Rep. Kilpatrick's work in Lansing with the school issue is something from an alternate reality. Not to mention the curious shilling for Kilpatrick that some of the McPhail supporters are doing with an added sense of urgency. Again, Kilpatrick-McPhail...McPhail-K ilpatrick, what's the difference? More of the same.

Now explain where McPhail was on the school board issue? Why didn't she use "her tremendous influence"? Instead when the going got tough, she headed to the Southfield Public Schools (as a Detroit resident). Talk about tough sell to the parents.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2109
Posted From: 141.217.173.149
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KING KWAME KILLpatrick, throwing his wild hip hop parties at the Manoogian.

KING KWAME KILLpatrick, responsible for hundreds of layoffs of city workers.

KING KWAME KILLpatrick, using our city tax dollars to lease a red Lincoln Navigator.

If you vote him back to be mayor. Detroit's future is DOOMED!

Elect a man with principles, VOTE FOR FREEMAN HENDRIX.

HENDRIX will find a solution to save thousands of city jobs.
Bring back D-Dot bus routes back up and running 24/7
Improve our city schools and increase jobs and development into the city.

VOTE FOR FREEMAN HENDRIX. He's the solution for the city problems.

PAID FOR BY THE STREET PROPHET.

Brian

Post Number: 2762
Posted From: 67.37.84.253
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did your weak slogan take you back to lying MD? Is your candidate really doing that bad? Isn't his poll worth anything? He even has to follow Sharon around the city when he learns of her going to a picnic.

That is following, not leading.

If your entire campaign strategy is to lie then you will have a tough time.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 856
Posted From: 69.214.178.123
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Elect the power of 2." Is McPhail saying she can't do the job by herself, Brian? Never in the history of Detroit politics has someone running for mayor admitted in their slogan that they can't do the job alone. McPhail's thoughts in coming up with this slogan must have clearly been, "I'm a girl and I need a boy to help me win."

I can see Susan B. Anthony turning in her grave. With all the strides women have made, McPhail, through her choice to have Benny Napoleon as her running mate, demonstrates that she's not confident enough to run this race on her own merits. Doesn't sound like STRONG LEADERSHIP to me. Tell me, Brian, how often will she run to Napoleon when she has to make a tough decision?

Brian

Post Number: 2765
Posted From: 68.73.32.222
Posted on Friday, May 27, 2005 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if folks sunk to your reading level Royce then perhaps they would agree with you. But the power of two means two individuals versus one individual, not one person turning to another.

Sharon's and Benny's message of team work is pulling people into supporting the campaign. Folks are tired of individual mayors with egos whom try to run the city as though its theirs to ruin.

The message of teamwork from the Friends of Sharon and Benny is very positive and POWERFUL. As opposed to the idea of leadership which is telling people to follow and listen instead of participate. Detroit has and has had plenty of leaders. Archer was a leader, but he chose to quit. And as I recall, Hendrix also QUIT! Can't he see a job through to the end or is his style to quit when he sees something personally better for himself come along.

Royce

Post Number: 857
Posted From: 69.214.178.123
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, I have to sink to your level just to try and understand the stupid stuff that you spew out. I wish you would QUIT being the poster boy for "Delusional Asses Anonymous."

You actually think you're superior to everybody else on this forum. You KNOW how the majority of Detroiters feel about Archer and Hendrix. You KNOW that folks are tired of individual mayors with egos. You KNOW what leadership looks like. However, Brian, how come you don't KNOW when to QUIT with the BS?

Danny

Post Number: 2153
Posted From: 141.217.173.165
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McFAILED and the dictator NAPOLEON " The Power of 2!" HAHAHHAHAA. Just what city needs, a evil witch with her black cat.

Looks like of "Powers of 2" will turn Detroit into a double iron fist! pushing and bulling all of the city workers and the council until they get tired and dead.

Brian

Post Number: 2771
Posted From: 67.37.84.208
Posted on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce if its so stupid, why do you bother to take the time?

Royce

Post Number: 861
Posted From: 69.212.61.131
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, Brian, that is probably the most truthful and intelligent thing that you have ever said.

Brian

Post Number: 2774
Posted From: 67.37.84.208
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a question to you Royce.

Danny

Post Number: 2194
Posted From: 141.217.173.157
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,

While Detroit was still stuck the Coleman Young Dark Ages. Dennis Archer was bringing Detroit into a TRUE Rennaisance. Freeman Hendrix can do the same. He's a kind a guy who doesn't through "HIP HOP" parties, buying blings, leasing a red Lincoln Navigator, cutting D-Dot's 24 bus service, hiring 6 Mile Smurfs thug mafia bodyguards, and firing lots of people. Hendrix would put an end to KING KWAME's kingdom and return Detroit back to Detroiters.

Quinn

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, Sharon McPhail can do MUCH BETTER. You want the same old tired crap you've been getting the past 12 years? LOOK AT WHERE WE'RE AT DANNY. If Archer was so good why are we in the shape we're in now, huh? And don't say the city was great when he left office...he left Kwame a $95 Million Defecit! Hardly a shining example. AND HE WAS A QUITTER.

Brian

Post Number: 2793
Posted From: 67.37.83.32
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny has a point. Archer hired almost 3,000 people to add to Detroit's budget. Who were they, people whom he knew in the neighborhood, And then some who lived in the burbs.

But he did give folks good jobs while he was mayor. That meant more taxes for Detroit and more money for city workers. BUT he failed to write a contract with the DPOA. Kilpatrick did that when he took office. Archer stonewalled many unions and failed to come to agreements ending up in arbitration which cost the city more money. Under Archer Detroit's roads deteriorated to where they are today, now Detroit has no money because the state has cut road funding. Why didn't Archer replace the roads or set aside money in the boom years?

Further, Archer depleted the rainy day funds. Those funds might have helped Kilpatrick in his first two terms and perhaps allowed for a smaller deficit in this years budget. But while rainy day funds were a constant thing in Coleman's day, Archer retired the concept and under Archer the rainy day funds DIED a not so slow death. Folks wonder how Archer balanced his budgets, well it was by mortgaging Detroit's future. Well its the future. Do you need sunglasses or flashlights? How did the $17 Billion Archer claimed was invested in Detroit help the city? Taxes are still lower and taxable values are smaller than they were in Archer's first year of office. (Of course that would be adjusted for inflation.)

Also lets not forget how Archer cut DDOT employees resulting in poor service such that he claimed he had to allow SMART to operate inside the City limits.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1138
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep's take on the campaign themes:

Running Themes
Detroit's mayoral candidates stake out strategies
June 4, 2005

As the three leading candidates in this year's Detroit mayoral election squared off Friday, their recurring themes suggested simple campaign slogans.

Freman Hendrix: I'm the grown-up.
Kwame Kilpatrick: I'm a devout family man.
Sharon McPhail: I'm with Benny.

http://www.freep.com/voices/ed itorials/emayor4e_20050604.htm

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, (another) "small" problem with your conspiracy theory, SEMTA (SMART's predecessor) operated inside the City limits. Keep trying.

Brian

Post Number: 2806
Posted From: 67.37.83.246
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, SEMTA had pick up points in the CBD. Archer allowed SMART to have routes inside Detroit picking up pasengers and compete with DDOT. Archer sent revenue outside of Detroit by putting SMART on the most profitable routes in Detroit. Then Archer claimed that DDOT was losing money and he sought to regionalize the system. Just like Kwame.

MD, maybe if you and your candidate told the entire story and didn't spin the rest you would be more popular in Detroit.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, some of your SEMTA/SMART claims contradict each other, while others are just plain false. Maybe if you and your candidate (or candidates, since you are also shilling for Kilpatrick) told the truth, you wouldn't be tied for a distant second place and even slipping into third place.

Brian

Post Number: 2808
Posted From: 68.73.32.190
Posted on Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, maybe if you had killed of KK when he was down he would not be coming back with http://www.whoisfremanhendrix. com/. I wonder what else the mayor has planned for your candidate. Will your attacks increase or decrease if your own poll shows you trailing?