Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit City Council Election Super Thread » Zulu Polling Services-Detroit City Council « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1841
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the numerous candidates for Detroit City Council the power of incumbency is usually telling.

Each person gets two votes:
1 vote to keep a current member and
1 that is a sitting member that must go

Please vote!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Keep: Maryann Mahaffey

To Go: Sheila COCKerel

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 538
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To Keep: Joann Watson

To Go: Sheila Cockrel

PS - You are probably wondering why I did not say Lonnie Bates but he is so bad that no one will reelect him - right?

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 170.20.152.150
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To go: Bates

To keep: Mahaffey

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 201
Posted From: 68.251.225.70
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To go: Bates
To keep: S. Cockrel

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 218
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To go: Mahaffey and Bates (I'm taking two)

To keep: S Cockrel

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 544
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only people I know that are voting for Sheila are you guys. I worked hard on save the aquarium, and I am also involved in preservation movements. She is completely hated in those areas for her lack of care and all the she does to try and hurt. Why are you guys voting for her? She is the most divisive person on council - Bates is stupid but she has a mean streak in her with a brain.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 220
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD last time I looked, she didn't close the aquarium KK did, I hate to tell you this but there is absolutely nothing the clueless council could do to keep open the aquarium ( see Belle Isle Zoo) , KK wanted it closed and it did. Also it takes more than one vote on the council to get something done.

I think you don’t like SC because she doesn’t get along with your girl McPhail.

And while we are at it get rid of:

Watson, Collins, and Talabi

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1079
Posted From: 68.73.53.134
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep: none
Go: ALL

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2071
Posted From: 141.217.173.168
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well in my POV.

Those who would stay would be:

Maryann Mahaffey
Joann Watson
Alonso Bates
Ken COCKerel
Tinsely Talabi
Those who got to go is:

Sharon McFAILED
Sheila COCKerel
Barbara Rose Collins

Bucho
Username: Bucho

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 66.178.218.40
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rose Collins Must Go

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1875
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, May 26, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1468
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep: KC, SC, Talabi

Go: Mahaffey, Collins, Watson, Bates

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2777
Posted From: 67.37.83.100
Posted on Sunday, May 29, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA HA HA, Look at Who MD and Freman(?) is endorsing.

The same folks being endorsed by Kilpatrick.
Makes you wonder what would be planned for if his candidate actually won. More of the same?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, HA HA HA:

1. ...As opposed to the McPhail slate (Mahaffey, Collins, and Watson) who do absolutely nothing for the city except grandstanding and proposing unrealistic plans without an ounce of substance to them. And I don't even know how you can try to defend Bates, that's just pathetic.

2. Nice try, but you and some of the other most vocal McPhail supporters on here are also some of the biggest shillers for Kilpatrick. And that is truly what would be more of the same.

Brian

Post Number: 2797
Posted From: 67.37.84.31
Posted on Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting on your view of the CC. But I have not played this game. I only pointed out info about those you chose.

MD, why do you get so defensive? Are you not willing to stand by your choices regardless? Do you fear criticism? If so why?

You don't do those you champion any service. When presented with the opportunity to sell your candidate you always choose to run and hide.

Well you and your candidates can't hide behind attacks forever. Eventually you will have to put a plan on the table and sell it to the people. I think that is what you fear because your candidates lack of experience will show. Notice how silent he is on how to get the city out of deficit. He even endorsed Sharon McPhail's plan. Seems like he could have saved the day by coming up with a plan three then getting those CC members he endorsed to push it via council. All of them could have taken credit. Instead they all jump on the McPhail bandwagon.

Is your candidates plan to keep the media distracted by KK's scandals? Then they won't scrutinize your candidates positions too deeply.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, Brian, if McPhail is the solution that you claim she is...why all the apologizing for Kilpatrick by some of her biggest supporters? Also, why the apologies for Bates? With City Council being as much a part of the problem as Kilpatrick, why look to return four of the biggest parts of the problem to the Council?

Since she is the solution that everyone wants, why can't she raise any money? Why is she so far behind in the polls...tied and even trailing Kilpatrick, even with his dismal numbers? Why the erratic behavior (once again) on Mackinac Island? She was "doing so well" for a couple of weeks.

You don't do your candidates/causes any favors with all the false accusations and name-calling.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4464
Posted From: 68.60.139.41
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since she is the solution that everyone wants, why can't she raise any money?

I'll ask her that tomorrow at her $500 per person event at the Atheneum.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well ItsJeff, if that makes you feel any better. The SPECIFIC question is...why is she in third place, financially as well as electorally? Now ask away...

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 620
Posted From: 4.229.105.18
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep: both Cockerel's.

Go: everybody else.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4465
Posted From: 68.60.139.41
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why is she in third place, financially as well as electorally? Now ask away...

I think everyone agrees that if the match is Kilpatrick vs. McPhail, McPhail wins easily.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Itsjeff I don't think McPhail can beat anyone easily. There is a reason she has lost all major election she has been part of.

As much as it kills me to say it I don't think anyone can beat KK easily.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 625
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't rely on polls too much they change! Remember four years ago Gil Hill was predicted to beat KK by 31% two weeks before the election. Anyone of the three could realistically win this election - even though Hendrix is up - he has only to go down. People really do HATE HIM for the school board take over once that gets out in advertising his goose is cooked!

Merchantgander

Post Number: 312
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, I think the majority of people that are going to vote already know about that and only a small percentage care. Remember KK won the election and was part of the state rep. group that helped push for the state takeover.

I believe that there is only one way for KK to lose this election low voter turn out. When there is low voter turn out that means people that vote most of the time, show up at the polls. People that vote most of the time are normally uniformed voters these people most likely won't be voting for KK. But the uniformed voters will, best way to unseat KK is for a low voter turn out. Just my opinion.

Brian

Post Number: 2820
Posted From: 67.37.83.14
Posted on Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Sharon McPhail is in third place why is MD so concerned?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If "no one knows who Hendrix is" and "McPhail is by far the choice of Detroiters" why is she in third place and why are some of her most vocal supporters so worried?

"Don't rely on polls too much they change! Remember four years ago Gil Hill was predicted to beat KK by 31% two weeks before the election."

"Ilovedetroit" you're being dishonest again (no surprise since it involves a number). Polls showed Hill and Kilpatrick in a virtual tie right before the election.

ItsJeff, you can take some solace in that aspect of the argument, however, if McPhail doesn't make it past the primary, it's a moot point. Clarke also beats Kilpatrick, but again, same thing.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 661
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail will make it past the primary. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE HER SUPPORT! I still think the Hendrix numbers are inflated by his friends in the media. I think they do all their polling in selected neighborhoods (Rosedale Park where he lives) or ask leading questions to direct them towards Hendrix in a positive light. I have gone canvassing for the McPhail team on several occasions and I just don't run into the support for Hendrix - in ALL honesty of 50 or so folks I have met 2 for Hendrix (lots of undecided) but the rest are McPhail and KK. Most people don't know who he is? That is why I think the numbers are cooked. The papers are building him up (because they want him) by showing name recognition. Once people realize what a traitor he is (with the school reform board) they will run.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 770
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Keep: none
Go: ALL"

Yes.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", again you and numbers, accounts of incidents/events/etc, and factual information, aren't a good combination.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3094
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD: they have been running .... not just because of the school board issue either. Try puppeteering, with Hendrix being the puppet!! Folks are learning why he dances the way he does ..... especially for white folk and exurbanites. Go figure ..... on a struggle for the land and get your matches ready!!

Black-atcha .....

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 954
Posted From: 69.212.61.184
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail supporters, remember that there was a reason the state took over the Detroit school board. They had been mismanaging the system for years. Millions of dollars were misspent.

The governor, John Engler, and his supporters had seen enough and so they took over the board. A reform board was created and Mayor Archer, who as a mayor had no power to stop the governor's takeover, could select the chairman of the school board. He chose Freman Hendrix and Hendrix accepted the job.

Now, you McPhail supporters want to tell me what Mayor Archer should have done? Should he have told Engler that he wouldn't be a part of the takeover and have Engler choose not only his one board member but all the board members and the chairman. Therefore, you folks would have preferred that the board be made up of all Engler's yes men?

Now, instead of refusing to do anything, Archer decides to make the best of a bad situation and picks someone he feels can do the job as chairman. He picks Freman Hendrix, his deputy mayor. And as deputy mayor Hendrix agrees to do what his boss asked him to do. For whatever reason or reasons, Hendrix takes the job. You folks think he was supposed to turn down his boss's request?

Just for a moment think about the choices Hendrix has to make at that time. If he is ambitious and is thinking about running for mayor on his own one day, given the fact that he is already the number two guy, then doesn't it make sense to you folks that he would take the job of chairman of the reform board? To refuse it would probably mean the end of his political career. Archer might have even fired him if he refused to take the position.

Hendrix takes the role of chairman of the reform board because his boss has asked him to, and as a Detroiter he feels that it's his duty to do the best that he can do in a bad situation. However, according to you McPhail supporters he should have never accepted the job.

Now, Hendrix schedules school board meetings, open to the public. However, not being able to accept the takeover, a small group of disgruntled Detroiters decide to disrupt the school board meetings at every opportunity, thinking that if they disrupt the meetings enough and no board business can get done, that Governor Engler will reverse his decision on the takeover and give back to Detroit its elected school board.

Not realizing that their protests would not change Governor Engler's mind, they continued to be disruptive thinking that any disruptive behavior was their right. Hendrix as chairman has been tolerant of their disruptions during the first few board meetings. However, he realizes that board business has to be done so he attempts to have closed-door meetings. He doesn't realize that this is illegal(his only mistake as chairman) and is ordered by a judge to conduct public meetings.

When these board meeting resume in public, the same citizens who were disrupting previous board meetings continue their disruptions. Hendrix realizes that since there can't be closed-door meetings and that there are Detroit citizens who come to the meetings that aren't disruptive who deserve to hear the board's business, he decides to do something to stop the disruptions or nothing will get done. And so he directs security to remove those citizens who choose to disrupt the meetings. In some cases he quickly removes those individuals who previously disrupted meetings as soon as they began being disruptive again. What other choices does he have, McPhail supporters?

McPhail supporters, you appear to be the type of individuals who would blame the veterinarian for killing your dog even though you took the dog to the vet to be put to sleep. You appear to be the type of individuals that would sue your doctor for cutting off your leg, even though you agreed with him that the only way to prevent the cancer from spreading and you from dying was for him to amputate your leg.

Freman Hendrix was put into a position that was unfavorable, but someone had to do it. Would you all be against Sharon McPhail if she had taken the role of reform board chairman? McPhail supporters, you are taking out your anger on the wrong person. If you want to be mad at someone for the board takeover, be mad at Governor Engler. Be mad at Mayor Kilpatrick for that matter because as state represenative he voted for the takeover.

At any rate, you should not be mad at Freman Hendrix because of the reform board situation. He did not create that situation. He only tried to deal with it the best way that he could. If you want to be mad at Hendrix, be mad at him or dislike him for something else. Your arguments against Hendrix concerning the reform board are weak, and they are becoming quite tiresome. Smart Detroit voters can see right through them and know that your arguments have no merit.

(Message edited by royce on June 29, 2005)

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Royce!!!

Enough said...

Merchantgander

Post Number: 392
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, please stop your rational thinking it gets in the way of conspiracy theories.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce you should also post that in the mayoral thread.

Brian

Post Number: 2883
Posted From: 67.37.83.47
Posted on Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, keep editing until you rewrite history. But you did write,

quote:

McPhail supporters, remember that there was a reason the state took over the Detroit school board. They had been mismanaging the system for years. Millions of dollars were misspent.

which is interesting because the reform board took over the elected board and district with a $90 million surplus. Not something that is usually a sign of mismanagement or mispent dollars.

As a result of Archer/Hendrix hiring Burnley the deficit of the DPS is higher than the deficit of Detroit and the state had to bail out DPS TWICE.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 956
Posted From: 69.212.45.107
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, the board that was ousted by the reform board was not in office long enough to squander the "so called" $90 million dollar surplus. Also, if they were responsible for this surplus, then there wouldn't have been a reason to replace them with a reform board.

Just like you claim that the state bailed out DPS twice because of Archer, Hendrix, and Burnley, isn't this what they did to help the board get to that $90 million surplus?

The loss of DPS students to charter schools, private schools, and other districts has contributed to the current budget deficit. Also, the reduction in state funding to many districts, not only Detroit, has led to the budget deficit.

Brian, stop with the half-truths and unsubstantiated claims. You only want to see half of the story just like you and your McPhail crew only want the world to see half of what's going on in that reform board video with Hendrix that's now being played in a McPhail commercial. Tell the whole story, Brian, and stop being afraid of the truth.

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

School reform was a mistake because the way it was done almost guaranteed failure. But the reform was not designed by Archer or by Hendrix. Nor could they have stopped it.

I agree that they were trying to make the best of a terrible situation.

Hendrix loved Detroit enough to take on an impossible, thankless assignment and do what he could. That should be remembered and appreciated, evn by those who choose to vote for another candidate.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3099
Posted on Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now here comes Royce with that old-ass CoIntelPro bullschitt of "discredit, misinform, and disavow." The schitt ain't changed in 35+ years. One would think that these dummies would have learned .... it didn't work back then; it ain't working now either. Ask the cross-dressing faggot J. Edgar!!

Black-atcha .....

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1068
Posted From: 63.240.133.93
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce is endorsing Hendrix. Enough said.

(Message edited by gogo on July 14, 2005)