Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Dennis Archer's endorsement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 375
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think his endorsement will jump start Freeman's campaign?
Is it too late?
Is there anyone out there that could run this city correctly?

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 208.39.169.123
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would Prefer Hansen Clarke on this one, Paul

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 4092
Posted From: 198.208.6.35
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think his endorsement will jump start Freeman's campaign? Yes
Is it too late? No
Is there anyone out there that could run this city correctly? I don't care to acknowledge this question because I would do so in an inflammatory manner.

The big hurdle is money. I think that Archer and Hendrix may tap into their ties into the suburbs to get some money to help his campaign. I think that most know the affiliation between Hendrix and Archer so people have already taken that into account when considering the candidates. The endorsement is what was expected and won't result in many changed minds.

I think other questions are:

Has KK done so much damage to himself that his huge war chest won't be enough to overcome his own shortcomings whether real or perceived?

Will McPhail tone down some of her behaviour to get her message out without being judged upon her actions on city council?

Will Hendrix's actions with DPS lose voters that won't support him?

Will Detroiter's vote on issues as opposed to name recognition?

Will the local media outlets play fair in reporting on candidates or jump into the corner of one and spin about the others? Will that even matter if they do?

Will Clarke Hansen pull votes away form Hendriz if he is still around in the primaries?

Just my 2 cents

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Will McPhail tone down some of her behaviour to get her message out without being judged upon her actions on city council?"

Tone down on what behavior? Not being confrontational just wondering what you're talking about (sambo was a while back) Is there soemthing I'm missing?

I don't think hansen clarke will do anything to freman. It seems like a week attempt from the Kwame folk.

I'd like to think issues are what they will actually vote for but historical data says different. Kwame and Sharon have the advantage here.

Hendrix DPS actions will only hurt if Sharon or Kwame spend money to get people to think about it or remember it...but spending money to get that message out also gets Freman's name out. Catch 22 right? I don't think sharon has the money to be shooting freman down now.

I really think KK will be in the running with Sharon and it will be close in November. Sharon has the name recognition and kwame has the money. Freman has neither RIGHT NOW (this archer announcement can't possibly mean tons of money...I really don't think it's news at all...I always assumed Archer was already supporting Freman)

People can really be swayed by commercials...it's sad BUT what are you gonna do? Kwame will, from my perspective right now, be in the race till the end.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1135
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry about the facts, they'll only confuse you. Even with Freman Hedrix's lack of a bully pulpit and his lower name recognition, the polls still show Freman Hendrix beating either Kwame or Sharon in a head-to-head if the election were held today.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 6231
Posted From: 69.156.92.243
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, MacPhail is a very smart woman but her antics and behaviour are just bizarre at best. Shelf the antics and she could be a wonderful mayor.

Quinn

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok...what are the antics? We're talking about "if she would stop the antics"

What are the latest antics Goat?

And BIN...what poll? Hendrix had the last poll and it was 2 months ago after Sharon had a beating (sambo)and didn't ask anything about Benny. IS THERE A NEW POLL? I'm interested!

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 535
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, you are talking about people remembering Hendrix and DPS, but you don't expect them to remember MacPhail's erratic and sometimes inflammatory behavior?

Don't act like it needed to happen yesterday to be relevant.

Goat

Post Number: 6238
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Electric chair comes to mind (and who said anything about lately? Bizarre is bizarre). And that one takes the cake!

Feel free to add to the score folks. (Again, not picking on Sharon just laying it out)

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3617
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

State of the City, 2004: Sharon sitting pretty behind the Mayor. Making face after face, taking a novel's worth of notes while shaking her head and being visually disruptive. It was downright childish.

Quinn

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One last time and this is why I get impatient with you people and start making silly pictures.

WHAT ARE THE LATEST ANTICS. You said ""Will McPhail tone down some of her behaviour to get her message out without being judged upon her actions on city council?"

So is she doing something right now or has she done LATELY anything you would consider "antics?"

Any bidders? Any of you? hello?

Goat

Post Number: 6239
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly. Tone down her behaviour. Not doing something for 5 or 6 months doesn't mean squat. Not doing it for the good of Detroit goes a lot further.

BTW: No one said lately. Only you. (An obvious supporter)

Demarcoc
Username: Demarcoc

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 207.179.94.46
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The upside to the endorsement for Hendrix is that it should open up some additional fund-raising channels. The downside is that the endorsement leaves Hendrix open to attacks on the Archer administration, but that was going to happen anyway, as he was deputy mayor under Archer.

According to the last EPIC-MRA poll, which was a while ago now, the three major candidates were in pretty much a dead heat, but Hendrix had a substantial lead in a two-way race over either Kilpatrick or McPhail.

If I'm Kilpatrick or McPhail, I'm going to turn my guns at Hendrix, saddling him with any dirt I can dig up on the Archer administration, and criticizing him for not being "black" enough. The hope here would be that Hendrix would finish third, leaving him out of the runoff.

If I'm Hendrix, I'm going to try and pick off McPhail. She's the weaker candidate because she isn't an incumbent and she doesn't have the funds that Kilpatrick has. Also, since she's aligned herself with Benny Napoleon, her ability to criticize the Archer administration is weakened to a certain extent.

Goat

Post Number: 6243
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and criticizing him for not being "black" enough. The hope here would be that Hendrix would finish third, leaving him out of the runoff.

I am waiting on the above because we all know that is coming.

Personally, I would like to see either MacPhail or Hendrix win.

Quinn

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will McPhail Tone Down Some of Her Behavior...

hmmm...my point: Have you seen any "behavior" (your definition) lately? Maybe she already has "toned it down"?

SIMPLY LOOKING TO SEE WHAT RECENT BEHAVIOR YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE AND I GET SLAMMED.

You guys really are persuaded by that simp Hendrix aren't you? MAN! Good luck to you!

Goat

Post Number: 6244
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...more semantics.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2172
Posted From: 141.217.173.165
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm glad that Dennis Archer is endorsing Hendrix, his right hand man for mayor of Detroit.

Quinn

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...more semantics.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2786
Posted From: 67.37.84.208
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Don't worry about the facts, they'll only confuse you. Even with Freman Hedrix's lack of a bully pulpit and his lower name recognition, the polls still show Freman Hendrix beating either Kwame or Sharon in a head-to-head if the election were held today.

Another not so brilliant statement by a supporter. I think the facts worry this guy and his candidate. Is that why folks believe he desperately needs Archer's endorsement. If he is leading and the polls show him winning then all should be basic politicking. BUT this guy keeps jumping back to the starting line even after he has declared victory.

I am interested in the lack of a bully pulpit comment. IT would make you think the media is ignoring the candidate. Why would they ignore the guy who is supposed to be leading and poised to win a head to head election? Why would a candidate lead if he has low name recognition. That is essential to winning. No candidate wins with low name recognition. The whole idea of name recognition is that folks know your name when they vote and put that line next to your name. If you are polling as the leader, the name recognition should also be in front of the others.

Perhaps there are other polls which show this candidate trailing in third place. Perhaps that is why the media denies him a bully pulpit. Maybe other polls say that sure head to head is one thing but right now its a race for two positions. That means Kilpatrick is eating away at this guy's base. He has started to campaign and the numbers are changing.
Hence the endorsement by Archer. A Save? Time will tell.

Quinn, you beat a dead horse. Goat has read the truth on those issues but refuses to believe. He has stated that he does not like Sharon. He is also canadian and cannot vote.
Sort of like the French trying to push Kerry.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 7387
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can vote, and I don't like McPhail.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Wednesday, June 01, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't like McPhail"...where did that line come from Sport - your 4th grade playground..you sound like Aram now and he is like 12 and can't vote.

Brian

Post Number: 2790
Posted From: 67.37.84.208
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well sport that statement puts your political bent into view. You can no longer try to claim that you are impartial. Now all of your nasty comments are political.

The_aram

Post Number: 3626
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, what do I need to do? Scan my voter registration card?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1214
Posted From: 199.74.93.54
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT -- Throwing his political weight behind his protégé, former Mayor Dennis Archer endorsed Freman Hendrix and handed his former deputy a $10,000 check in the race to unseat Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

Archer, who served two terms from 1993 to 2001, made no endorsement in the election that brought Kilpatrick to office in 2002. But Archer's record in office -- and by extension, that of Hendrix -- has become an issue in this year's campaign.

"This city is important and because it is at a critical crossroad, where its future is on the line, I felt as a private citizen who loves this city that I should step up and I did," said Archer, who appeared with Hendrix at a news conference.

Other candidates trying to unseat Kilpatrick include City Councilwoman Sharon McPhail and state Sen. Hansen Clarke.

Hendrix ran Archer's election campaign and served as deputy mayor for seven of Archer's eight years in office.

Archer touted his administration's achievements such as balancing the city's budget, improving the city's bond rating, reducing unemployment, and luring some $20 billion in development.

But Kilpatrick has said repeatedly that the mayors before him failed to address the city's tough problems.

"The main difference is that the Archer administration had Clinton's boom years and the Kilpatrick administration has had the Bush economic slide," said Kilpatrick's campaign spokesman Bob Berg.

Hendrix said he would tackle the city's current budget problem by cutting at the top, if only to set an example. Hendrix said he would take a 30 percent pay cut, cut his staff in half and end travel expenses.

Though the Hendrix campaign viewed Tuesday's announcement as a key endorsement, some observers say it will not likely sway voters since many had expected the former mayor to support his hand-picked successor.

Archer's support may in fact give Kilpatrick fuel, said Bill Ballenger, editor of Inside Michigan Politics.

"I almost believe it was better if Archer would not have endorsed," Ballenger said. "It gives him (Kilpatrick) an excuse to divert from his own record. It could turn into a referendum on Archer."

Hendrix isn't the only candidate touting gains under Archer. Former police Chief Benny Napoleon, who served three years under Archer, is now running alongside Councilwoman Sharon McPhail as her deputy mayor.

"We saw a 30 percent reduction in major crime. I believe that experience along with the law enforcement experience of Sharon McPhail makes us the best option for the citizens of Detroit," Napoleon said.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/me tro/0506/01/B01-199955.htm

The_aram

Post Number: 3629
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame says he had the Bush economy, yet that still gave him license to rack up thousands of dollars on his city credit card.

It's pure comedy watching Kwame make excuses for himself while citing getting the grass cut in city parks as one of his major accomplishments in office. Pure comedy.

Brian

Post Number: 2791
Posted From: 67.37.83.32
Posted on Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Archer's support may in fact give Kilpatrick fuel, said Bill Ballenger, editor of Inside Michigan Politics.

"I almost believe it was better if Archer would not have endorsed," Ballenger said. "It gives him (Kilpatrick) an excuse to divert from his own record. It could turn into a referendum on Archer."

Damn, that is what Rasputin said.
Ha Ha Ha

AND its true because it has already begun.

Archer avoided criticism in the last mayoral election but this year he will get plenty. Already missing records from his administration are being sought as Kilpatrick looks to compare credit cards.