Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Detroit Citizens For Better Government « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Kbkav
Username: Kbkav

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 69.218.79.117
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know who's behind these folks? I got an interesting piece of mail from them today, cleverly disguised a piece of campaign literature from Hendrix. Inside, it describes 3 past episodes that Freman's campaign probably isn't thrilled about...ending with the slogan "The More We Know About Freman Hendrix, the More We Can't Trust Him to be Mayor."

Hmmmmm...who's nervous?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 648
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that a lot of folks are getting it - some friends of mine in Sherwood Forrest and Palmer Park got it. They also did a story on it for channel 7 and they asked McPhail if she knew of it - she stated no and looked at it. My guess is (FULL DISCLOSURE I am a McPhail volunteer) is that KK's people or a PAC did it. From what I have heard it is an expensive piece and only KK has that kind of money. Channel 7 did not deny the factuality of the piece. I would love to see it.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 371
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's stinky. I mean I'm all for sending out info on Kwame and Freman (true info) but not like that.

Who is running Kwame's campaign? It's like a bunch of kids...no website...ugly campaign billboards (by the way they are coming down now anyone notice?)...tacky mailers like this.

He's got 3 million...he should be looking good right now...instead he looks like an idiot doing these things. This bob berg sounds like a real dope.

Quinn

Post Number: 372
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey where's amelia or morena been? I wonder what they think of everything. I haven't seen them on here in a while...

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 41
Posted From: 64.79.86.206
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Freep's Brian Dickerson commented on June 3:

What's that smell?"
What we are about to find out is how much mud an incumbent with his back against the wall and a million-plus in the bank can sling in 60 days.

Thursday, as Kilpatrick and his rivals converged on Mackinac Island for the Detroit Chamber's annual leadership conference, an undetermined number of Detroit voters received what at first appeared to be an invitation to a party hosted by Hendrix.

"You're invited to meet Freman Hendrix!" the greeting-card-size envelope said. Inside, in lieu of the promised invitation, recipients found a slick but anonymous attack ad insinuating that Hendrix leveraged his position under former Mayor Dennis Archer to score a sweet mortgage deal and a cushy job for his sister.

That's just the opening shot. By August, this mayoral campaign is going to smell like Mackinac Island at the end of a very hot day."

I got one of the mailers. The copy says that Hendrix' sister got a "top job" in the Archer admin. More correctly, it appears to be a good job in the Housing Department - but not equivalent to a top job like Beatty's and Derrick Miller's. Also, one of the three supporting citations listed for the three slams is from the Michigan Citizen - not widely recognized as a reliable information source.

I wonder if this stuff is the best they have on Hendrix. Pretty lame and obviously over-reaching for guilt. By contrast, Kilpatrick really did mis-use his credit card. It was really him who lied early and often to the public about the Red Navigator. Kilpatrick wasn't guilty by association - he was guilty by himself.

The mailer lists a mortgage and says that Hendrix got a huge and unwarranted mortgage because he helped Comerica build the baseball stadium - Hendrix did not help Comerica get Comerica Park built - as the mailer says - he helped the Ilitch deal go through, and wasn't that his job? The Ilitchs sold the name to Comerica. The accusation is false on its face. As to why Comerica was willing to give Hendrix and his wife a $1 million dollar morgage on a house in Rosedale Park - we should look farther than Wayne County land records, because they tell only part of the story. Its obvious that Comerica was mortgaging a group of properties in one new loan - and the others weren't in Wayne County, and so weren't reported on those rolls. It looks like an investment property - like a golf dome.

I don't see what's illegal, immoral or unethical about that. The bottom line is that Hendrix didn't do a sweetheart deal for Comerica when the baseball park got built - as the mailer declares. It truly is unsubstatiated and over-reaching mud.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 650
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real Hendrix slam is

www.whoisfremanhendrix.com

It has over 300 hits to it. The Michigan Citizen had a very damning article.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2834
Posted From: 67.37.83.253
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap you spinning for Hendrix?

Back under Archer, the housing department was a city department which was controlled by the mayors office. The mayor's office made the appointements in the housing department.

It appears family members of both Archer and Hendrix used their family connections to obtain goverment jobs. Just like Kilpatrick is accused of doing. Contrast to Sharon McPhail not hiring any relatives on her city council staff.

As for the mortgage, interesting. IT seems Hendrix obtained a loan from a city contractor. Why didn't he go to a financial institution that did not do business with the city of Detroit?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1524
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", you lost it at "some friends of mine". By the way, speaking of "full disclosure"...

1. The Channel 7 story interviewed both McPhail and Kilpatrick (all on Mackinac Island), as well as Hendrix (live) about the incident.

2. Both McPhail and Kilpatrick denied involvement and "asked to see it". (commentary: both seemed to have bad poker faces about it).

3. At the end of the piece, CH7 anchor Steven Clark stated that either McPhail or Kilpatrick is lying about involvement in the attack on Hendrix.

As conspiracy theories go...maybe it is a joint effort by McPhail and Kilpatrick. Both are known for low-ball tactics such as this, and remember Mahaffey is sending out those flyers (in Kilpatrick's color scheme and font) supporting McPhail.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 654
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mahaffey's colors are green and yellow duhhhhhhhhh!

Glad you got your card Metro - I hope you choked when you saw it.

BTW the channel 7 report I saw did not say that either one was a liar. That was never said and YOU ARE A LIAR Metro. Typical from you!

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3052
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither McPhail, nor Kilpatrick's camp sent the info .... now, go figure on a citizen's group that intensely dislikes Helmut. That info is all over the City .... mewonders why the white Helmut supporters don't know that???

I don't blame Sharon & Kwame for laughing.

Black-atcha .... and lmbao too!!

Southwestmap

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian: really, it doesn't appear that Terese Hendrix Walton was an Archer/Hendrix appointee because she still has her job (according to the Housing Dept. website). Wouldn't she be long gone if an appointee?

Your idea that Hendrix should have gone to a bank that doesn't do business with Detroit is a non-starter - loyal Detroiters prefer to do business with Comerica - our only hometown bank at present. Comerica has invested in Detroit - why not invest in Comerica? I imagine that was in Hendrix mind. And, of course, Comerica would be likely to lend that mch money to Hendrix because they would know him and know of him.

Quinn

Post Number: 373
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix probably sent it out to create sympathy.

;P

Metro...is there a link to Channel 7's story where he said either sharon or kwame is lying?

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1150
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Freep:

Poli-bytes: A behind-the-scenes look at state and local politics

June 13, 2005

Good or better? Both are fine, group says
Are they "Detroit Citizens for Good Government"? Or are they "Detroit Citizens for Better Government"? Whatever their title, who are they?

They are Randono Johnson and Terrell England, whose names appear on a May 31 document registered with the Wayne County Clerk's Office to formalize the creation of a political action committee named Detroit Citizens for Good Government.

Johnson told Bytes last week by phone that his newly formed committee is behind mailings attacking Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix that went out just before the influential confab of movers and shakers on Mackinac Island sponsored by the Detroit Regional Chamber in early June. Those flyers announced the committee as Detroit Citizens for Better Government.

Do they want good government or do they want better government? Johnson said the name discrepancy was a typing error and the group is not affiliated with any mayoral campaign. England didn't return calls.

Johnson said he voted for Kwame Kilpatrick four years ago, but does not know the mayor and just wants a fair discussion of all issues surrounding the candidates. He wouldn't say how much he spent on the mailings or how he developed his mailing list.

The 34-year-old Detroiter said he's a small businessman who owns rental properties. The fliers were printed at Tamaco Graphics in Detroit, a firm that has done several jobs for local politicians, including a $31,239 printing job in December for the Kilpatrick campaign, according to campaign finance records.

By Patricia Montemurri

Brian

Post Number: 2836
Posted From: 67.37.83.244
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, is that how your group does its research? But its funny, KK has your group doing damage control. But what would you expect with Mildred's daily attacks.

Southwestmap, I guess that is why Archer removed the housing department from the city per HUD. Not only did he lose the schools but he lost housing. two staples of every city.

Brian

Post Number: 2837
Posted From: 67.37.83.244
Posted on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Archer even lost the riverfront.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 4:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit"/Quinn, feel free to call CH7 and see for yourself. Speak to one of the news directors, producers, or see if you can even get Clark himself. I have no idea if they will provide you with the tape, but it was on their newscast live from Mackinac.

By the way "Ilovedetroit" you just got caught lying again. First you implied that only McPhail was in the story, then you said, "BTW the channel 7 report I saw did not say that either one was a liar."

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, since when did the mayor control the schools. The only people that lost the schools were the citizens of Detroit for bad parenting and electing the most incompetent school board in the nation.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 666
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - ??? You are so full of crap! What are you talking about now? The channel 7 report I saw CALLED NO ONE A LIAR. You really must be one of the stupidest people on the Earth. Do you honestly think that your bait and switch tactics really work? I ask you pointed questions and all I get is "liar liar pants on fire"...grow up Metro. NOW what is your fax number?

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3063
Posted From: 68.73.53.134
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here comes another "white supremacist", that Merchantgander whatever!! Go figure .....

Good post, BD .... it should have cleared up some of the bullschitt up-in-here!! But, gotta agree with Brian ... that info has been known throughout the Detroit 'hood for months. We didn't have to wait for a "fishwrap" article. Mayhaps that's the REAL POLITICS coming-atcha .... Go figure!

Black-atcha .....

Southwestmap

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian: I believe that Archer actually got control of the schools, as opposed to losing the schools.

And the Housing Department - I'm not sure. But, I will point out that the people who prepared the mailing "The More We Know About Hendrix" are wrong about Terese Hendrix Walton whichever way you look: She obviously wasn't appointed to a "top job" by Archer/Hendrix, as they accused, because she still has her job under a very revengeful new administration.

Conversely, assuming HUD is in charge of the Housing Department, Walton couldn't have done such a bad job with HOPE VI or HUD would have gotten rid of her - and she appears to still be General Manager of that program (this is a "top job"?).

It appears that, despite the mailing's assertions, Walton was/is not an appointee and that she has served at least adequately in her job.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 2:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" when I call you a liar, I back it up by pointing out exactly what you lied about along with the correct information.

You calling me a liar about a television report that thousands of viewers saw, still exist on tape, and that personnel from the station can verify, just doesn't cut it.

Again, contact CH7 (the story was reported live by Steven Clark) with your concerns instead of taking it out on me. Your anger at me doesn't change the fact that the report aired as I previously posted and that your 'information' was (once again) not correct.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny that I've seen newspaper postings (on several occassions, including twice in the last couple of months) for several positions from intern to management, with the Detroit Housing Commission. Doesn't look like any "special connections" are needed when ads are posted in the paper.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what i don't understand. Why is it that we rely so much upon the media. We all should know that the media's(especially here in Detroit)word is not gospel. Due to the fact that I know someone employed with a local station, I know for sure that we don't ever get the WHOLe story, just excerpts to make it an "interesting" story.