Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit City Council Election Super Thread » A 100% new council? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If we wanted a whole new council, this might make a good mix:

-Sarah Snow
-Joan Gist
-Jai-Lee Dearing
-Bettie Cook-Scott
-Caude Dent
-Keith Hollowell
-Monica Conyers
-Maureen Taylor
-Lee Yancy

Added later (after JMil's comments): Please see my follow-up thread, below.

(Message edited by jdmdetroit on June 16, 2005)

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1129
Posted From: 68.73.53.202
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jdmdetroit, who the hell are you? and why should we care about your endorsements?

Far as I can tell you have your own DetroitYes area. Its okay with me, cuz it must be okay with Lowell. BUT DAMN!!!

Your first posts were to promote your wife, and all follow up posts have been to promote your agenda.

Why would ANYONE who regularly reads the forum care about your opinion, when nobody knows your viewpoint?

Uh, you don't know me, but could you please vote for these people.

Yeah, sure bub. Thats gonna happen.

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 69.246.1.255
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just trying to stimulate discussion.

I am sorry if my enthusiasm for change in Detroit offends you. My hope with this thread was to get people talking about whether we need a "clean slate" on council and, if so, who that new slate might be. I suggested some names, I invite others to do the same.

I really don't have an "agenda." I also am not even convinced we need a clean sweep of Council. But a lot of people have suggested that. So I looked through the list of who is running and came up with a list.

I am open to hearing what others have to say about the issues. But your personal attack was unnecessary.

Do you have anything to contribute to this discussion? Or do you just want to bark at me some more?

Jmil

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not offended by you. Not a personal attack. You will easily be able to identify a personal attack from me. Just found it quite curious.
You show up at election time with a list of folks to vote for, including your wife, and you claim you don't have an agenda?
YES YOU DO HAVE A AGENDA.

I already contributed to the discussion.
"who the hell are you? and why should we care about your endorsements?" I honestly wanted an answer to those questions. Not your name, or personal info. However since your only posts are about your wife, we have no feel for you. You might be crazy as cat shit. Be the grand wizard. A troll that wants support for the worst candidates in order to further Detroits demise.

Are these just names from a list, or do you have any reason for supporting these candidates?

Bark?, JDM You ain't seen nothing yet.

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil...

I am not crazy as cat shit, the grand wizard or a troll. I care a lot about the city and its future. For what it's worth, I have invested a big chunk of my piddly net worth into buying (and improving) a home in the city. And I am a Wayne State graduate who has been on the board of the alumni association there. I also served a few years on the board of our local neighborhood association. In addition, I am a precinct delegate and, as such, I wore out a lot of shoe leather for John Kerry last fall.

As for my short-list... I know some of those folks. Others seemed interesting based on their Web sites and campaign material. The list was not intended to be an "endorsement," but more of a conversation starter. Of course, I feel very strongly that Sarah should be on the council... and not just because I am married to her. Lord knows that, in many ways, our lives would be easier if she lost and continued to hold a "regular job." But we both feel a calling to pitch in and be involved with the community. And Sarah has tons to offer... not the least being her optimism and good character.

Want to know more? Lowell has my e-mail address. I authorize him to give it to you. If you e-mail me, I'll be glad to tell you my real name and most anything ele you want to know... well I won't reveal my credit score or release my tax returns to you... but most anythig else.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 1936
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am acquainted with Ms. Snow and I find her to be a sincere individual. She is more than welcoming of various cultural and ethnic diversity and is very principled in helping others.

I am concerned, however, that she will not be effective in this system which relies on intangibles. As she is a straightforward, no nonsense person, she would not be as appreciated given the way politics works in the halls of the CAYMC. The power of personality gets things done in city hall, and she may fall short in this area.

All in all she is a good person and I am glad to she her attempt at a seat on the council.

Jmil

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Friday, June 17, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jdm, that wasn't painful, now was it?

Good luck to you and your wife.

Carry on.

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 69.246.1.255
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu...

Our hope is that, whether or not the rest of the council immediately appreciates Sarah's straighforward, no nonsense style, that the electorate will. As for power of prsonality... well maybe you just have not seen that side of Sarah. But as someone who lives with her every day, I can tell you, her personality can be as powerful as anyone's.

Thanks for your kind words.

Jmil

Post Number: 1133
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps

if Zulu gives the okay, its a done deal.

Nuff said.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4504
Posted From: 68.60.139.41
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wrote this while I was sick over the holidays. This thread seems like a good place to druge it up:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/23585/34566.html

Sparkle
Username: Sparkle

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that city council keeps getting re-elected not because of name recognition but because people aren't choosing any of the alternative candidates.

NOT VOTING for a new council person = VOTING for a current council person.

If you vote 1 or 2 new candidates, you arent voting AGAINST the current candidates, even a mediocre turn out for the current council will beat out a few votes here and there for someone new.
If every displeased person who voted, would vote an entirely new slate, many members of the council would loose their seats.

A lot of people I know are so displeased they simply dont vote for council at all, which is a mistake.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 146.9.52.101
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice try on the translation itsjeff, however, the inaccuracies are obvious as all members of council would not be present on the same day.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading that when you posted it the first time Itsjeff and laughing so hard I was crying. As someone who suffered through that group for almost 3 years you nailed it.

By the way, good meeting you and the rest of the group last night.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 69.3.69.231
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if you like some of the incumbents you should vote for 9 new council members. Most or all the incumbents will get past the primary anyway. Then at least there will be a real race for the final election. If I'm correct there will be 18 on the final ballot.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2733
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who will stay in the council.

1.Ken Cockrel Jr.

2.Sheila M. Cockrel

3.Barbara-Rose Collins

4.Maryann Mahaffey

5.Alberta Tinsley Talabi

6.Jo Ann Watson

Who's got to go.

Sharon McFAILED! will be long gone after she ran for mayor of Detroit, but she's not going to win the primary.

Alonso Bates definetely got to go for he's a walking political time bomb waiting to explode when the Feds get him.

Who's Comming in for the Council

Sara Snow

Martha Reeves

Plus were are getting too more people in the council.

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 69.212.228.49
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am hoping useless Collins and Ken Cockerel go, and hopefully Joann Racist Watson, too.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2748
Posted From: 141.217.173.169
Posted on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy

I don't think so! Watson popularity on the radio. and 75% of black Detroiters will put her back in the council seat. She knows how to hid from the media spotlight. Even though she makes her racist comments.

Peanut757
Username: Peanut757

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 152.121.36.65
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Maryann Mahaffey going to ever sit it down?

Rabbit
Username: Rabbit

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy, if you really kept up with legislation your comment would not be useless Collins. Check the records, currently she is the only member of the existing council that has a history of providing important legislation, which has been duplicated throughout the country. Put your personal dislikes aside and look at the quality and quantity of the work that is produced by the existing council. We have many members that have never passed one piece of legislation.

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rabbit, I try to follow Council and the respective members. Could you briefly tell me some of Ms. Collins' legislation?

Rabbit
Username: Rabbit

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current Council:

- Amended the Noise Ordinance to include loud noise coming from moving and/or stationary vehicles

- Co/sponsor of the Predatory Lending Ordinance

- Co/sponsor of the Adult Entertainment Ordinance

- Privatization Ordinance

- Slavery Disclosure Ordinance for city Contractors

- While in Congress, responsible for funding for the City of Detroit's Empowerment Zone

- As state represenative authored bill to prevent discrimination against families in rental properties

- As state representative authored bill ensuring equal calculations of pension benefits for women

- As state representative pass a bill requiring expiration dates on perishable goods in all stores in Michigan

These are just a few that I found in my inital research. I'll post more as they become available.

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 69.212.211.41
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, but I just hate having crooks on city council.