Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
Top of pageBottom of page

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 1422
Posted From: 68.43.12.165
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler Jefferson again. I took this shot from my Stearman about 80 years ago:

ChryslerJefferson'30

quote:

The Chrysler Corporation operates several plants in the Detroit area. The Jefferson Avenue plant is a comparatively new and modern automobile plant of the finest description. Chrysler employs approximately 10,000 workmen, and the sales value of Chrysler products exceeds $165,000,000 annually.

Chrysler acquired this factory from Chalmers/Maxwell in 1924 and this postcard was mailed August 1, 1930, so the image could be from the late twenties. Or, it could be an earlier photo of Chalmers, relabeled as Chrysler. The view is looking south from Jefferson. Chalmers built the four main wings between 1908 and 1918, from east to west. Designed by Kahn. In the 1930s an office with a showroom was built on the grassy front yard, and in 1955 a conveyor bridge was added to bring bodies across Jefferson from the Kercheval body plant.

Mikem

Post Number: 1423
Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did I post this, back on page 1?

Norton

From a 1935 advertisement for Norton Abrasives in Mill & Factory magazine. What do you think? Must have been a local warehouse and office.

ad

The coolest part of the full page ad was the picture of a grinding wheel with the actual abrasive glued onto the picture so you feel its texture. A grease monkey's version of a perfume insert in Cosmo.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 1664
Posted From: 24.21.101.214
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the Final Assy. shots at The Rouge is a 1949 Ford, a very successful car, one that could be purchased with factory colors other than black.
jjaba

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 3725
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find on solving the Norton Mystery Mike...

Sven1977
Username: Sven1977

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob C., great work on the Milwaukee Junction pamphlet. It has everything in it that a chimney chaser like me wants. A modern picture with the whole history of the site. I stopped in to pick it up before I went to the library. Then I wondered why I am in the library when Bob has already done professional research. But then a hobby isn't a hobby if you don't participate. I am still on a quest to find more information on Beaufait and Bellevue area and on the Atwater area west of the Ren Cen but the Sanborn maps for 1910 to 1921 seem to be missing so that era will remain a mystery. I will post more map pictures as the week crawls on. I know the maps are hard to read but it seems to trigger the memories of others. I looked through the 1910 maps of the area west of the West Grand Boulevard. Lots of brick factories/yards. Kind of odd I thought. Jjaba, I've looked for the printing company before but the the printing company wasn't located there at the time the map was printed. There are maps after 1922 but they have been continually updated. I read your post after I had left for the day otherwise I would have pulled the book for a look. Sorry.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven1977, thanks for looking it up for jjaba. You do great work for us.

Charles H. Norton was assciated with Leland and Faulconer as early as the 1890s. LFN morphed into Norton Abrasives who made precision grinding machines which could machine parts to minute tolerances.

Today's derivitive of our Detroit Norton Abrasives appears to be St. Gobain Abrasives of Troy, NY and Worchester, Mass.

Without trying to be abrasive, jjaba would recommend 3M Abrasives, 11900 East Eight Mile Rd., Detroit 48235, for your current needs.

jjaba

Sven1977

Post Number: 73
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the fine Sanborn maps at the Detroit Public Library.

The Chalmers Building next to Orchestra Hall in 1910. Notice the auto electric service station in the upper left.

A Buick and Willy's service station around 1910.

The picture above is for MikeM. I believe you mentioned this build a few million posts before.

I pretty much finished the map books covering Detroit up to 1921. For a little diversity, I decided to look at the Pontiac factories. I found some fun stuff. The maps below show the development of the Oakland car factory. Later to become Pontiac. The factory was started from a number of buggy works.

1903 Close Up

Jjaba

Post Number: 1675
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, incredible history here. Thanks.
jjaba

Mikem

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A-Haaa! I knew that former Chrysler plant on Hoover, north of Eight Mile, had to have a previous life. The Detroit Divco factory has been bugging me for quite a while, and the reports of it being on Hoover Rd in Detroit haven't helped. I thought perhaps the former National Auto Fibres factory at Hoover and State Fair was taken over by Divco, but I couldn't find any definitive answer, plus the rumors of the factory being in Warren were giving me doubts.

Well, as they say, "Money talks, bullshit walks!," so I forked over $3 to the Divco Owners' Club of America for a back issue of a 1991 club newsletter. Here's the article with the answer, thanks to John Rienzo, Jr, author and researcher. Jjaba will be happy to know they once had a westside presence:

quote:

Divco's Past in the Present

The very first truck of what would later become known as “DIVCO’s” was an electric vehicle designed by George Bacon, Chief Engineer of the Detroit Electric Car Company, on Antoinette Street in Detroit. The firm was owned by William Anderson. who authorized construction of a test vehicle in 1920. Unfortunately, in tests for the Detroit Creamery, it became apparent that battery power was not the way to go when delivering perishable milk products in very hot or very cold weather.

When DECC went bankrupt, Bacon presented his designs to others, and the Detroit Industrial Vehicle Company (D. I. V. C. O.) was founded to manufacture the truck using a LeRoi gasoline engine. This proved much more practical, and in 1926 and 1927 a total of 25 trucks were tested by Detroit Creamery, produced in a plant on Fort Street West, a main Detroit thoroughfare.

The success of these first “DiVcos” brought in new capital to put the truck into full production. With the new funding came a new name, “Divco Detroit Corporation,” and a new factory, located at 2435 Merrick Avenue, near Grand River in Detroit, which was the old Gemmer Manufacturing Corporation plant. (This company later made Divco’s steering gears.)

Unfortunately, because of the rigors of multi-stop delivery, many components had to be developed from scratch. Heavier brakes, clutches, transmissions, higher output generators, and other components to withstand up to 300 starts and stops, and long idle times each day, needed to he designed and created. The work quickly exhausted most of the capitalization acquired in 1927 and so by the Great Depression, the company was just barely getting by, ultimately being taken over by a committee of its creditors in 1931.

In April, 1932 the company was auctioned by the Creditors Committee, with a winning bid accepted from Continental Motors. The name was changed to “Continental Divco Company,” and the operations were moved to the Continental Building at 12801 East Jefferson Avenue in Detroit. The facility on Merrick Avenue still stands, today being used as a recycling center.

Continental Divco was short lived however. New investors purchased the Divco line while at the same time buying the rights to delivery trucks produced by the Twin Coach Company of Kent, Ohio. Twin Coach, which was formed by the Fageol family to build buses and trucks, stopped producing trucks in Kent, and in May and June, 1936, the new firm combined both truck operations as the “Divco-Twin Truck Company,” and apparently continued production of both style vehicles on Jefferson Avenue.

Demand grew and in late 1937 property was purchased at 22000 Hoover Road in the Detroit suburb of Warren, Michigan, and a new, modem production factory was built, being occupied in July, 1939. The company offices also were moved to that location, with the move coinciding within months of the introduction of the new “Snub-Nosed” style delivery truck. The new design superseded both the Divco and Twin Coach style trucks made until then. The company continued to be known as “Divco-Twin,” as they wanted to keep the loyal customers of both firms. They also promoted the plant and office location as being in Detroit, as “Detroit” was still one of the initials in the original Divco name. The company name was changed to simply the “Divco Corporation” in January, 1944 as the Twin Coach name no longer served a purpose.

The old Continental plant found other uses and parts of it are still standing in 1996. Still visible is the name “Continental” spelled out in the brick of the structures tall smokestack.

During WWII the Hoover Road plant was taken over by the War Board for the production of aircraft parts, and other military items. Truck production was suspended for the duration, and by the war’s end, the pent up demand sparked factory additions. The new, expanded plant continued truck production for many more years.

In November, 1956, Divco Corporation acquired the assets of Wayne Works, Inc., a manufacturer of school and other bus bodies. Delivery truck production continued on Hoover Road, but corporate offices of the newly renamed “Divco-Wayne Corporation” were moved to the Wayne Works bus production hometown of Richmond, Indiana. The firm also diversified with funeral car and ambulance production by Miller-Meteor in Bellefontaine, Ohio, electronics components formerly made by a division of Gruen Watch Co in Cincinnati, Ohio, and special contracts operations performed in at the Wayne Piqua Division in Piqua, Ohio.

Many other worldwide manufacturing operations were acquired in the early 1960’s as the conglomerate continued to diversify, including Estavan Industries, through a Canadian subsidiary, and mobile home production in England.

The growth of Divco-Wayne attracted other conglomerates as well, and in 1967 and 1968 D-W was acquired itself by Boise-Cascade Corporation, which spun off delivery truck manufacturing in 1968 to Hiway Products Corporation. Interestingly enough, H-P also had bought the rights to manufacture buses under the Twin Coach name, and set about establishing bus production in the old Twin Coach building in Kent Ohio.

Their primary purpose in buying Divco rights was to land a lucrative contract to build mail trucks, however, and to raise start-up capital to make them, the rights for multi-stop snub nosed truck manufacture were resold to interests controlled by Glen W. Way along with the Divco brand name. The firms’ divisions included Hughes-Keenan, which made Roustabout Cranes, Transairco, and Correct Manufacturing. The Divco production plant on Hoover Road was later sold to Chrysler Corporation which used it for several years. Today three unrelated businesses occupy the property. None uses the 22000 Hoover Road address. [Today, it is empty and up for sale or lease – MikeM]

In 1968 the snub-nosed production line was moved for the last time, to a former crane factory in Delaware, OH. It was here production ceased in January, 1986 after G. W. Way suffered a stroke and his businesses interests were liquidated. Today the complex is mostly abandoned, but some minor hints of Divco construction still remain.

The trademark rights to the Divco brand name, logos, and snub nosed truck production remain held by the bankruptcy estate of Correct Mfg. Apparently there are no plans to revive the brand.

I'll sleep much better now that I've put that to rest. The back issue is a Xerox of the original, so the picture quality isn't great. Here is their first plant at 2435 Merrick Ave at 16th Street:

Divco Merrick Ave

Divco westside

Later this week I'll do a drive-by to see what's there now. Next is the Hoover factory. I searched through aerial photos back to 1949 but none show any evidence of the DIVCO name on the roof, barely visible in this photo from a factory tour guide; probably added to the photo by PR folks:

22000 Hoover

Hoover

April 05

Coordinates for your cruise missile: http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=17&X=6704&Y=94053&W=3

Mikem

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, thanks for the map of Edmunds & Jones; I wanted to know if the adjacent forge to the east was part of the plant -- looks like it.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, thanks for the DIVCO pics. and a rehash of some of the DIVCO data jjaba researched.
jjaba didn't realize that the Hoover Rd. plant was in Warren, Michigan.

The comments about WWII are in context when all auto production went to War in Detroit in 1942.

The recent color photo with the brick-up windows is Pure Detroit, almost pure Chrysler 1950s modern. Did Chrysler put on a new facade after DIVCO went broke?

You did miss the Boise-Cascade connection with DIVCO, described by jjaba earlier.

Now that MikeM can sleep, jjaba is still restless with his question:
To wit:

How did the driver of DIVCO trucks stand and operate it? There was one pedal. Perhaps somebody knows.

Merci MikeM. You're the best.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Mikem

Post Number: 1448
Posted on Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtramck_Steve, if you're here, you were asking about the Mt Elliot connector bridge. All I can do is narrow it down to between '68 and '81. I have a topo chart from '68 without the bridge and an aerial photo from '81 showing it.

Bate
Username: Bate

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 4.247.239.11
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, you made mention eariler regarding "Bob C., great work on the Milwaukee Junction pamphlet". Any chance of a scan/post if the information? Thanks.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1683
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SIGNIFICANT DATES IN GM AND PONTIAC HISTORY.

Aug. 28, 1907, Edward M. Murphy starts his Oakland Car Company in carriage garages in Pontiac, Michigan.

1909, GM purchases 50% of Oakland stock. Then Murphy dies and GM buys the remaining 50%.

1932. "Oakland" nameplate dropped with success of Pontiac Chief cars.

1913. All GM Truck ops. move to Pontiac.
GM Canada organized out of Mc Laughlin and Chevrolet, Ltd.-Canada.

1921-1987- Cadillac Clark Street Factory. 1988, GM Poletown opens to make Cadillacs.

Jan. 7, 1924. First GM car made outside USA, Chevy in Copenhagen, Denmark.
1924. "A GM car for every purse & purpose."--Alfred P. Sloan.
1924. GM Proving Grounds, Milford, Mich.
1924. GM-Antwerp, Belgium. Factory.
1924. GM acquires Vauxhall Motors, Luton, England.
1924. GM do Brazil, Sao Paulo. Factory.
1924. GM Malaga, Spain. Factory.
1924. GM France in La Havre. Factory.
1924. GM Argentina. Factory.
1926. GM buys Ternstedt Manufacturing Co., Detroit.
1926. GM Institute in Flint opens.
1926. GM Port Elizabeth, South Africa. Factory.
1926. First Pontiac, Chief of the Sixes.
1926. 5 Australian plants. Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide, Sydney, Brisbane.
1926. New GM factories in Petone, New Zealand, Kobe, Japan, Alexandria, Egypt, Montevideo, Uruguay.
1927. GM, Osaka, Japan. Factory.
1927. Gm Berlin, Germany. Factory.
1928. India. Factory.
1929. GM buys Adam Opel, Russelsheim, Germany.
1929. GM Shanghai, China. Factory.

To be continued.
jjaba, research dept.

Sven1977

Post Number: 75
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Cosgrove is the main author of the pamphlet and I thisk it should be up to him to post what he wants. It's one thing to post a picture from a book or an article from 25 years ago, but I think posting something that is brand new and still trying to pay for its publication is a little different. We are his market and I know Lowell is very protective of copyrights and such so I'd rather leave the posting up to the author.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SIGNIFICANT DATES IN GM HISTORY IN THE 1930S and 1940s.

1930- Purchase of Electro-Motive Div.(locomotives)
1931. GM buys Holden in Australia.
1932. Oakland becomes Pontiac Division.
1934. First GM diesels on trains.
1935. La Grange, Ill. diesel factory.
1935. GM de Mexico. Factory.
1935. First GM Suburban Carry-all.
1936. GM Suisse, Berne.
1937. UAW Sit-down strikes. UAW recognized.
1937. Winton Engine, Cleveland bought.
1937. Linden, NJ plant. (Pontiac, Olds, Buick)
1938. GM Overseas established in New York City until 1978.
1939. Hydra-Matic, Detroit Transmission Division.

1940. Hitler Govt. ceases Opel. Gets it back in 1948.
1941, GM closes Japan factory.
1942. GM 100% at war. Airplanes, engines, cars, trucks, tanks, marine diesels, guns, shells, misc.
1943. Yellow Truck becomes GMC.
1945. GM Peru. Factory.
1948. Rocket V-8 engine.
1948. Caracas, Venezuela. Factory.

jjaba

Mikem

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the war, the auto companies started a new wave of construction of modern assembly and parts plants. Many were using factories built before WWI or even before the turn of the century. Several new plants were built during the war for defense production, usually outside of the city limits, contributing to the coming sprawl. More new factories were built in the "countryside" aftr the war, while older ones were expanded and modernized, if they weren't abandoned altogether.

Chrysler started a billion dollar expansion program in the mid-1950s with a mix of new and modernized plants. Here are a few examples from the Detroit area taken from a Chrysler employee magazine:

quote:

Multi-Million Dollar Expansion of Chrysler Engineering Facilities to Begin Immediately

HP_engineering

Expansion of the Corporation’s engineering facilities at the Highland Park plant is now underway. James C. Zeder, Vice President in charge of the Corporation’s engineering activities, said a multi-million dollar construction program, to be completed in March, 1956, will increase working space at Highland Park by nearly one-third.

“Virtually all elements of the Engineering Division will benefit directly from this expansion,” Mr. Zeder said. “But particulai’ emphasis is to be placed on greatly enlarged and improved facilities for our styling and body design groups.”

The expansion program will ultimately mean a 20 per cent increase in employment in the Engineering Division, Mr. Zeder added, with more than 800 engineers, technicians and supporting personnel to be added during the next 18 months.

Mr. Zeder described the expansion program as “further evidence of our determination to maintain product leadership and reputation for engineering ‘firsts’ that have always been associated with the Chrysler name.

“We fully expect,” Mr. Zeder added, “the next 10 years to be as productive of exciting new automotive developments as the past three decades and we are going to continue Chrysler engineering leadership by employing the finest technical people and supplying them with the most modern tools and equipment we can obtain.”

Major construction items in the expansion program include a large new three-story building of 182,112 square feet, to be devoted principally to body design and styling; a substantial addition to the present three-story body design building facing Oakland Ave., which will give it a total floor area of 63,540 square feet and a major addition to the dynamometer laboratories.

Mr. Zeder explained that the spacious new three-floor building will house passenger car and truck advanced design studios, six rooms for creation of full scale clay models, a large display room and extensive facilities for build-up of experimental and prototype bodies.

The enlarged body design building will be occupied by body engineering offices, drafting rooms and product and color styling groups.

quote:

Increasing Production Capacity By 40 Per Cent at Chrylser Division

Kercheval
This picture shows the old American Body plant on the north side of Jefferson. It runs north to Kercheval, so was called the Kercheval plant.

"Far below the towering “Chrysler FirePower” sign overlooking Detroit’s East Jefferson Ave. (see cover), construction crews are well along in building a new plant and expanding present facilities at the Kercheval-Jefferson location.

In a matter of days after the first pilings were driven in January, the new building began to go up where the single story paint and trim storage building of the Kercheval plant had stood. The new two-story construction will house both body sub-assembly and paint departments when work is completed about June 1.

The present eight-story plant will be completely revamped and modernized and a bridge housing conveyors to carry car bodies from the new plant to final assembly across Jefferson is being built. The new plant will feature the longest and most modern continuous conveyor system in use in the automobile industry (14 miles in length). Chrysler Division President E. C. Quinn said production capacity will be increased from 54 to 75 bodies an hour, more than 1,200 per day, as a result of the expansion. It will mean a proportionate increase in the Division’s 16,500 work roll as well.

Before construction is through, more than 600,000 cubic feet of concrete will be poured and 6,500 tons of steel erected.

Jefferson

This picture above shows where the new construction on the north side of Jefferson is occuring. Behind the old body plant with the Chrysler sign, to the east, is the Hudson assembly plant. The future conveyor bridge over Jefferson, shown in green, connects to the old Chalmers plant shown at the top of this page, and behind the office building fronting E Jefferson.

quote:

Plymouth Tooling New Engine Plant: Ready in Fall of 1955

Mound Engine
This view is looking northeast with Mound in the forground and Eight Mile at the top.

"Plymouth’s powerful V-8 engine will be produced in the huge Detroit Mound Road Plant, which will be expanded to 530,000 square feet by next Fall. John P. Mansfield, Plymouth President, termed the Division’s new engine manufacturing facilities “the very latest in quality control of output.”

Defense assignments under which the Company has been producing aircraft parts at Mound Road under sub-contract to Boeing, are being transferred to the Chrysler Jet Engine Plant in order to use the entire Mound Road Plant for the production of V-8s.

Some of the features of the expanded plant: Two parallel production lines will be used for machining cylinder blocks. Each line is over a quarter mile long, encompassing a total of 157 operations on 70 machines. Heading these lines will be four of the largest mechanical broaches ever built, each 12 feet high, 19 feet wide and 59 feet long.

All of the thousands of machines used in the Plymouth engine plant will be equipped with the latest in safety devices, insuring the utmost in overall plant safety.

As a result of the expansion the Division will be able to triple its present production of V-8 engines.

Chrysler was experiencing some of its best years:

quote:

Chrysler Car Shipments Hit All-Time High for February

An all time high in February shipments of passenger cars from Chrysler Corporation assembly plants was announced by C. L. Jacobson, Vice President. He reported the Company shipped a record February total of 132,456 passenger cars from plants in Detroit, Evansville, Ind., and Los Angeles, surpassing by more than 20 per cent the previous February, 1951, high of 109,937. From its Detroit plants during February alone, the Corporation shipped cars out of the city at the average rate of more than 2.7 automobiles per minute, each day, on an around-the-clock basis.

Amazingly, after all that work and money...they're all gone.

Sven1977

Post Number: 77
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of GM...
Here are some more Sanborn maps from Pontiac showing the development of GM in the area.

Cartercar Factory in 1909

Cartercar factory (now GM) a few years later.

Rapid around 1909. Saginaw St. is Woodward Ave.

GM Truck in 1915.

GM Truck in 1919.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SIGNIFICANT DATES IN GM HISTORY, 1950S, 196OS, 1970S.

1953. GM Desert Proving Grounds, Mesa, Arizona.
1953. First Corvette.
1954. GM Pikes Peak Labs.
1956. GM Tech. Center, Warren, Michigan.
1957. First Pontiac Bonneville.
1959. Cruise control on Cadillacs.
1959. Chevy Corvair and Chevy El Camino.
1962. First Opel Kadett.
1968. GM Bldg. New York City, 50 stories/ 5th Ave.
1969. GM Chile. Factory.
1971. GM merges with Isuzu.
1972. GM Malaysia. Factory.
1972. GM Iran. Factory.
1972. GM Korea, mergers with Shinjin and Daewoo.
1972. GM Philippines. Factory.
1973. First GM Motor Homes introduced.
1975. GM Kenya. Factory.
1975. Chevette, Kadett, Gemini.
1979. GM Columbia. Factory.
1979. GM Zaragoza, Spain. Factory. (Builds Opel Corsa starting in 1982.)

jjaba, research dept., at your service.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HISTORY OF THE RAPID MOTOR VEHICLE COMPANY, PONTIAC, MICHIGAN

In 1900, Max and Morris Grabowsky built their first truck in Pontiac, Michigan. In 1902, they organized their company as Rapid Motor Vehicle Company. In 1902, they started building one-ton trucks.

General Motors was organized in 1908. GM wanted a truck line and in 1909, they convinced the Grabowskys and Albert Marx, President, to sell to GM. Rapid Vehicles became GM Trucks, later GMC.

In 1909, this GM Truck was the first truck to climb to the top of Pike's Peak.

jjaba's father Irving, Alva Sholem, was a "GM Man." In 1950, he bought a new Pontiac. Shortly thereafter, he too, wanted his vehicle to climb Pike's Peak. He packed up our car, two kids and mother, from Detroit and we made it to California, via the top of Pike's Peak.

Not until right now did I realize why he even knew of the place. It was a tough climb but we made it and dad was so proud. Atleast part of the road was a dirt path at the time. He must have remembered the pride of GM owners to climb Pike's Peak, and return to Detroit to tell about it.

The American explorer, Zebulon Montgomery Pike, (1779-1813) had a peak named for him in the Front Range of the Colorado Rockies, 14,110 FT. He probably rode his horse up there. jjaba got there in 1950 in a Pontiac.

jjaba, Happy Motoring.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know about the building that N. Silverstine was in. It was located on McNichols between Sherwood and Mt. Elliot. Silverstine’s was a great army/navy surplus store. Remember the tank and “duck” that were in front of the business? I bought tons of electronic panels there and played with them for days. You could build a virtual cockpit for a B17. man that was fun.

Mikem

Post Number: 1461
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chrysler, with the exception of DeSoto and their Chelsea Proving grounds, really was an eastside company. The employee newsletters I have from the '50s frequently refers to plants by their street name:

Lynch Rd was Plymouth assembly
Eldon, gear & Axle
Winfield, foundry
Huber Ave, foundry
Exeter, plastics
Jefferson, Chrysler assembly
Kercheval, body assembly
Vernor South, dies
Vernor North, trim
McDougal, ?
Meldrum, bodies
Mack Ave, stamping
Mound Rd, engines
Outer Drive, body stamping
Eight Mile, body parts
Nine Mile, stamping

And that leaves these, also on the eastside: Highland Park, Dodge Main, Dodge Truck, Amplex, and the Tank Arsenal and Sterling Heights Missile.

Here's a follow-up on their '50s expansion:

quote:

Recently Completed Engineering Expansion is typical of Chrysler Corporation’s Post War Growth

In the past ten years Chrysler Corporation has more than doubled its plant space and is rapidly accelerating expansion plans. Since the end of World War II it has spent nearly $700-million on plants and facilities, not including the cost of tooling for new models, in a continuing and successful effort to stay right in the middle of the industry’s most competitive sales fight.

The quickening schedule of growth was highlighted last fall when President L. L. Colbert announced a five year program calling for the expenditure of one billion dollars in new plant sites and for the improvement of facilities the Company already has.

This record investment has but one purpose: to give Chrysler Corporation the added capacity to keep on producing our cars in volume and to be able to raise capacity to keep further increasing volume production as our share of the market increases. The result of this long range program will mean more responsible jobs for our people and more security in those jobs.

Tangible proof of the program can already be seen. Within the past year, for example, these projects have been completed:

ENGINEERING: Just finished is the largest expansion of Chrysler Corporation’s engineering facilities in the Company’s history. It increases working space by nearly one-third and will ultimately mean a 20 per cent increase in Engineering Division employment. The spacious new three-floor building houses passenger car and truck advanced design studios, six rooms for creation of full-scale clay models, a large indoor and outdoor display area and extensive facilities for build-up of experimental and prototype bodies.

James C. Zeder, Vice President-Engineering, described the program as “further evidence of our determination to maintain product leadership and reputation for engineering ‘firsts’ that have always been associated with the Chrysler name.”

HIGHLAND PARK PISTON: Aluminum casting equipment of the latest design has been placed in operation in the Highland Park plant’s piston foundry, increasing its capacity by 50 per cent. Up to 75,000 aluminum pistons of a single type can now be produced at the foundry in a 24-hour day compared with 52,000 previously. These expanded facilities will enable the plant to supply 75 per cent of expected requirements for Plymouth and Dodge V-S engines, 100 per cent of the pistons for Plymouth six-cylinder engines, all the pistons for the DeSoto and Chrysler V-8 engines and all the Dodge truck piston requirements.

PLYMOUTH ENGINE PLANT: The former Detroit Mound Road defense plant was completely remodeled and equipped with the newest machine tools for engine production. It has the capacity to produce 3,000 V-S engines a day for Plymouth cars.

CHRYSLER DIVISION: Production facilities were increased by 40 per cent giving it a peak capacity of 1,200 cars a day by building a new manufacturing plant and installing a new body assembly and painting operation.

KOKOMO: The capacity for increasing the production of automatic transmissions for all Chrysler Corporation cars was doubled with the completion of this plant.

MACK PLANT: Modernization of fabricating, assembly and painting facilities of the Stamping and General Manufacturing Group’s Mack Plant in Detroit. The program consisted of installing a new paint spraying system, realignment of machinery, conveyors and fixtures for simplifying body assembly methods and enlargement of metal stamping capacity by equipping the plant with three new press lines consisting of 21 large presses each.

DETROIT UNIVERSAL: Purchase of two plants and the equipment and inventories of Universal Products Company greatly added to the capacity to produce automotive drive shafts and their components.

TRAINING CENTER: The industry’s most modern training center is located in Centerline, Michigan. It houses the combined activities of the Corporation’s executive service staff and the Chrysler Corporation Conference of Sales Training.

At the present there are other major programs which will be completed in the near future. One of the world’s largest stamping and metal fabricating plants is now in construction near Twinsburg, Ohio. It will cover a million and a half square feet and have 28 lines of presses. The new plant will supplement existing stamping capacity at the Stamping and General Manufacturing Group’s Detroit area plants.

When completed the Delaware Tank Plant will be nearly doubled in size and have a capacity of producing approximately 5,000 Plymouth cars a week. The Newark plant will form one more element in a network of new Chrysler plants being built to supply the growing market on the Eastern seaboard.

A new addition to the building is part of the Lynch Road expansion program. It will add 78,000 more square feet of manufacturing space. New equipment and the relocation of some operations will give the plant higher capacity as well as improved working conditions.

More than 1,700 acres of farmland in Troy Township, near Detroit, has just recently been purchased to assemble a site for possible future expansion of engineering and research facilities. Mr. Colbert emphasized that the land acquisition is an “insurance” measure for potential future expansion.

In planning these expansion pro-grams, the possibility exists that the one billion dollar figure over a five year period may prove conservative. As Mr. Colbert said, “It may very well be that if the Company continues to move in the years ahead as it has in recent years, we will find it necessary to revise our investment plans upward.”

I'd like to know where the Universal Products factories were. Universal, I believe, was the inventor of the Universal joint or U-joint. How did we get along without U-joints?

The reference in the penultimate paragraph mentions acreage bought in Troy Twp (Auburn Hills). I assume this is the land where they later moved their HQ and Tech Center?

Mikem

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Psip, which side of the street was Silverstein's on, north or south? There was more than one around town, right?

Mikem

Post Number: 1463
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article describes the creation of Chrysler's Stamping Division. The accompanying table at the end is interesting to me because it lists more plants by street name, however these are "leased facilities." Way back I posted a picture of a building on Bellvue that said "Michigan Stamping" at the top. Maybe the "Bellvue Plant" referred to here? I'll have to hunt down the rest. How long would Chrysler lease something as large as a stamping plant? Short term, long term? What happened to the original occupants?

quote:

Two Divisions Created in ABD Reorganization

Establishment of a new 19-plant Stamping and General Manufacturing Group within Chrysler Corporation has been announced by President L. L. Colbert as a major step forward in the Corporation’s organization program.

The new group includes the facilities of the Automotive Body Division which, in December of 1953, was formed around a nucleus of plants purchased from the Briggs Manufacturing Company at that time. The change in organization further integrates the former Briggs facilities with the Chrysler Corporation system.

The administrative realignment brings 19 plants in three states under the supervision of Vice President John E. Brennan as Group Executive. “This is in keeping,” Colbert said, “with the pattern that was established with the formation of the Special Products Group more than a year ago, and formation of the Engine and Transmission Group in February of 1956.

“Since our plans to divisionalize our organization were first announced in our 1953 annual report,” Colbert continued, “every part of the Corporation has been analyzed to improve quality, efficiency, cost and profit. This latest advance is a result of that program.”

The Stamping and General Manufacturing Group is comprised of two Divisions — the Stamping Division and the Parts and Equipment Manufacturing Division.

For the present time Brennan will serve in the dual capacity of Group Executive and General Manager of the Stamping Division. Brennan has named Fred Osann Jr. General Manager of the Parts and Equipment Manufacturing Division. Osann had been staff executive and director of forward planning for the Automotive Body Division.

The Stamping Division consists of 16 plants (14 in the Detroit area and two in Indiana). It includes the major part of the one-time Briggs properties. This Division concentrates under a single operating head specialized knowledge of automotive sheet metal operations, die-making, and welding techniques to produce body and chassis stampings and assemblies.

Three plants comprise the Parts and Equipment Manufacturing Division (two in the Detroit area and one in Indiana). Heart of this Division is the Highland Park plant, which was one of the original Chrysler properties acquired from Maxwell.

Unified under a single operating head in the Parts and Equipment Manufacturing Division are the production of fuel, electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic systems; brightwork trim items; interior and exterior body hard and soft trim items; chassis parts and accessories such as steering linkages and suspensions.
StampingDiv

Psip

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a fascinating history of the Great Lakes Fabricators and Erectors Association. Many of the buildings we see daily are detailed here.

http://www.glfea.org/html/ti-h -fvttmtg4570.htm

I was looking for information on the R.C.Mahon Co, they were located on the northwest corner of 8 Mile and Sherwood. They fabed much of the steel used in bridges. They also did the steel for 1001 Woodward

Psip

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Silverstine's was on the south side of McNicols. I think the cross street was Giridan? It was a fairly large facility.

Mikem

Post Number: 1464
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the link, Psip. I was just about to post this photo I have of what I believe was Chrysler's Eight Mile Parts plant, but it's at the NW corner of Eight Mile & Sherwood. Is this the Mahon Co your looking for?

8MileParts

Psip

Post Number: 5
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeppers, thats the place, It goes on for about 3/4 mile. Many overhead cranes. It used the RR siding for shipment of the LONG spans. Where that White Castle is now, use to be a bar and bowling ally.
We use to live in Center Line and the grand parents lived at Van Dyke and Outer Drive. Dad use to fly down Sherwood rather then the police infested Van Dyke.

Mikem

Post Number: 1466
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Mahon was there before Chrysler, who still occupies it now?

Was Silverstein's across from Woodhall Industries?

Woodhall

Psip

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know who is there now. It was vacant for a long time before Chrysler move in. Kitty corner from R.C. Mahon was a restrauant JoAnns. It was a very good place. It must have thrived Mahon and Chrysler were there. The remodeled it in the 70's and I don' think it lasted much after that.
On a side note. The Chrysler plant across 8 mile had a really tall smoke stack. Sometime in the late 60's it was shortened. Must have been complaints from City Airport.
I think Woodhall Industries was closer to Van Dyke but I may be wrong. Its been years since I have been to that area.

Mikem

Post Number: 1467
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's an overhead running from Outer Drive just off the bottom edge, up to Nine Mile near the top, Mound on the left, Sherwood on the right.

8&Mound

OD = Outer Drive Stamping, former Briggs, still used today by Chrysler in some reduced, non-manufacturing capacity.

Mound = Mound Road Engine, demolished last year.

8 = What I think is Eight Mile Parts, still owner by Chrysler.

Dodge = Warren Truck Assembly, hiding somewhere in there is Kahn's famous half-Ton Truck plant.

9 = Nine Mile Stamping, details to follow.

North of Nine Mile is a GM transmission factory. Zoom in for yourself at: http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=12&Z=17&X=415&Y=5877&W=3

Psip, do you have an estimate of when Mahon left the building? Maybe the Chrysler Eight Mile Parts plant was on the south side of Eight Mile next to Mound Road Engine, or possibly at the NE corner of 8 & Mound, before Warren Truck was modernized and expanded in the '90s?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 67.192.64.60
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC R C Mahon left that facility in the late 1960s or early 70s. It might still be used by MOPAR for storage, but I think that it is mostly used to to store truck trailers for the just in time crap.

The smoke stack on the 8 Mile & Mt Elliot plant was chopped down to allow 737s {flight path} to land at City so I think it stood a bit longer. Mikem would probably know, or it would show up on a hazards to navigation thingee.

Psip: Hey Bro!

Mikem

Post Number: 1468
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

PRESSED TO ORDER

Chrysler’s Nine Mile Press Plant shows the world why “changing and improving” means top products, working conditions

When industrial concerns build a new plant, many simply plan for their immediate production needs and regard the future with a skeptical eye. Others, however, build a factory with the future very much in mind. They know their plant will never remain the same, that it must change periodically to provide better working conditions and new industrial innovations.

Chrysler Corporation is a leader in the latter school of thought, proving to the automotive world that better working conditions mean better products. A typical example of Chrysler’s “change-and-improve” philosophy is the Nine Mile Press Plant in Detroit.

Relatively small when the original building was completed in 1948, the plant now is the second largest of its type in the world. Several major and minor additions, all keyed to Corporation-wide needs, have resulted in the following: well over a million square feet of floor space; 24 major press lines and related equipment; almost 300 presses ranging in size from 60 to 1,400 tons (pressure); a present production of 270 separate stampings for Chrysler Corporation cars and trucks.

Actual “birth” of the Nine Mile Press Plant was in October, 1947. After studying several revised estimates, Dodge Division management decided on a plant with six major press lines (in a building constructed for 12 lines), totaling 45 presses. Construction was completed in the last quarter of 1948, and the first stamping jobs — service fenders for MoPar and production sills for Dodge Trucks—were completed March 29, 1949.

Installation of four more press lines was approved in December, 1949. In June of the following year, the approval of still two more lines completed the original complement of 12 major lines.

Space needs were considered when a major addition (320 by 1,200 feet) was approved in May, 1950.

By this time the plant was really rolling. Actual construction or plans on hand had doubled the plant’s capacity in less than a year and a half. But, as big as previous expansion orders had been, they were small compared to plans which got underway in 1952. The big order was: redouble production (stamping) capacity at the Nine Mile Press Plant.

The job was completed in the fall of 1954, when Nine Mile had 24 major press lines. Today, in terms of floor space, productive capacity and personnel, the Nine Mile Press Plant ranks among the leaders in the automotive world.

9press1
Front fenders for 1955 Plymouths receive their initial shape in the huge draw press above, operated by W. Hawkins and W. Porter.

Underneath the main floor is a vast, vault-like basement with facilities for storage, scrap disposal and press maintenance. (Some of the big, multiple-action “toggle” presses, which stand 18 feet high from main floor level, have another 17 feet of driving mechanism below the floor for an over-all height of 35 feet.)

Modern and efficient in design, the plant also houses a pair of rare—yet relatively simple—industrial innovations: scrap disposal with the aid of television and a “two-in-one” heating system in conjunction with neighboring Dodge Truck.

Scrap steel from stamping operations falls through chutes into hoppers in the basement. Lift trucks carry filled hoppers to a baling machine, which produces 800-pound bales of scrap. Here is where TV enters the picture. The baling machine operator, aided by a closed-circuit television network, sends the bales by conveyor to gondola cars on an outside spur track. Looking at the screen near his position, the operator sees when a gondola is filled, then shunts it ahead and brings up an empty car — all with controls at his fingertips.

9press2
Above are a few of the 24 press lines now producing stampings for Chrysler cars, trucks.

Heat is no problem at the Nine Mile Press Plant, even though a trained observer probably could not find the source. The reason? There is no source, at least not within a considerable distance from the plant. Here’s how Chrysler people did it:

When the plant was built on a 46-acre tract adjoining Dodge Truck property, engineers were faced with the usual heating problem. They solved it by examining existing heating facilities at the Truck Plant. Rather than build a completely new unit, they expanded the one at Dodge Truck, dug a 2,000-foot tunnel and connected the Press Plant to Dodge Truck’s steam heating plant. The tunnel, about five feet wide and seven feet high, contains a steam line and a condensation line for returning used water.

The unusual, of course, is only a sidelight to the plant’s main function: production of stampings for all Divisions of Chrysler Corporation. In peak production the plant consumes over 1,200 tons of steel per day on such items as all center pillars used in Corporation •cars and trucks, practically all the major parts of Dodge Trucks and a good share of stampings for Plymouth, Dodge, De Soto and Chrysler.

Today the Nine Mile Press Plant is a symbol not only of continual change to achieve top manufacturing efficiency, but of a proven Chrysler philosophy which directly affects all Corporation employees:
better working conditions mean better products.

9press3

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 451
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Came across this while looking up Ernest W. Seaholm...for those who have not seen this Cadillac Centennial brochure produced in 2002 by the Detroit Historical Museum:

http://www.experienceeverythin gautomotive.com/data/yrt_tours _cent_cadillac.pdf

Psip

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem I think Mahon started shutting down in the late 60's? somewhere in that time frame. At 9 mile and Sherwood was the Chrysler heavy truck plant. Thats were truck tractors were built until they ceased production in maybe the mid 70's. I do believe that Parts moved into Mahone at least for a while. From the arials, I see all of the overhead cranes have been removed and its parking now. I remember that much of that area had a roof.

On Outer Drive kitty corner to the Chrylser plant at Mt. Elliot was the Tilt-A-Door plant. they made garage doors. Those ones that tilt forward and bend WHEN you forget to close it and its snows.
They also banged you calfs if standing to close when opening.
Corrected Mt. Elliot. (thought it was Sherwood sorry)

(Message edited by psip on April 27, 2005)

Psip

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem I remember seeing those presses from 9 Mile when stoped for a train. During the summer, most of the doors were open. That was right across from the defense plant at 9 and Mound, latter to become Cheverolet.

Hornwrecker, yo to ya too

Mikem

Post Number: 1469
Posted on Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I still have a Tilt-A-Door on my garage. Nothing like a heavy, wet snow on top to push you to the ground when you try to close the door.

Kathleen, thanks - that's the brochure that had me hunting for the Leland & Falconer plant on Trombley earlier in the thread. It wasn't clear if it was still standing or not.

OK, now thing are starting to fall into place. The shadow of that tall stack shows up well here on this 1961 aerial shot:

stack

Backing away, we see that it was on the east side of Mt Elliot, south of Eight Mile. The edges of this are Sherwood, Outer Drive, Mound, Eight Mile, with Mt Elliott up the middle:

map2

So was the factory to the right of the stack Eight Mile Parts? I took these last year because I like the glass walls:

8&MtElliott1
8&MtElliott2

Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Mikem

Post Number: 1471
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did Chevy take possession of the 9 Mile plant, right after the war or much later? Was it built specifically for war production? And what did they build there, before Chevy?

Psip

Post Number: 11
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, It may have been some press die storage area. I remember seeing seeing stacks of them outside. This would have been in the very early 70's I thought the office building at OD and Mt.Elliot was for the engine plant. I am sure parts were somewhere close by.
Now that I think about it, Mahone did become Mopar parts warehouse.
As for the last 2 photos, I have no idea where they are. but the glass wall looks familiar. Check here at 3am, when I remember in my sleep, I will Post :-)

Psip

Post Number: 12
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guess is that the Mound 9 Mile GM plant was built for the war. Up Mound, before 10 Mile, there is/was a military housing complex. I remember it had a guard shack at the entrance. It must have been related to that plant, since TACOM is up at 11 mile and had its own housing. That whole area was a hot bed of war related production all the way up to 13/14 mile where the LTV/Ling/Voght plant was (Sterling Stamping now)

Mikem

Post Number: 1472
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The buildings in the last two photos are on the east side of Mt Elliott, between Outer Drive and Eight Mile...the buildings just above and right of the tall stack.

Pleasant dreams!

Psip

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That glass wall building looks like a boiler room. especially with the heavy power lines going into it.

Looking at the arials, of the Mound 9 Mile GM plant, just to the north, is an empty tract where the housing complex was. you can see the streets and walkways, just not buildings.

http://terraserver-usa.com/ima ge.aspx?T=4&S=8&Z=17&X=6641&Y= 94081&W=3

It must have been pretty important to have attached housing.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1692
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are references to Nine Mile Road plants in Detroit. They better go see the movie, "8 Mile".
That's where Detroit ends and something else begins.

Excellent scholarship continues. Thanks. Great work.
jjaba

Jjaba

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MORE HISTORY OF GM 1980-PRESENT.

1980. GM Ireland. Factory.
1980. 3 new GM plants in Spain. New plant in Austria.
1981. GM buys into Suzuki.
1981. GM Taiwan. Factory.
1982. GM/Isuzu. Kairouan, Tunisia. Factory.
1983. NUMMI, Fremont, Calif. (Nova and Carolla.)1983. Isuzu/GM. Cairo, Egypt. Truck/bus factory.
1983. Buick City. Flint, Mich. Major factory.
1985. Spring Hill, Tenn. Mega-Factory. Saturn.
1985. GM buys Hughes Aircraft.
1986. Volvo takes over GM Truck Ops.
1986. GM leaves South Africa, now called Delta Motors.
1987. Greyhound buys GM Transit Bus Co.
1989. SAAB cars added to GM garage of companies.
1989. GM Turkey. Factory.

1990. GM merger with Volga in Russia. Factory.
1990. First Saturn Car off the line, Tenn.
1990. GM Allison, 75 yrs. old, Indianapolis.
1991. One million cars made by NUMMI, Fremont, Ca.
1992. GM China. Factory.
1993. GM Indonesia. Factory.
1994. Hughes Div. indroduces Satellite TV. (Direct TV)
1994-2007. GM at Epcot Center, Orlando.
1996. GM Buys Renaissance Center in Detroit.
1997. Saturn dealers in Japan.
1997. GM back in South Africa. Factory.
1999. Buick Regal Factory, Shanghai, China.
1999. GM buys Hummer from AM General.
1999. GM buys Fuji Heavy Industries, makes Suburus.
1999. GM makes engines for Honda.

2000. GM joint venture with FIAT.
2000. New plants in Lansing, Mich., Gravatai, Brazil, Rayong, Thailand.
2001. GM enters auto body repair business.
2001. New SUV plant in Russia.
2003. GM Tech. Center, Bangalore, India.
2004. Opel. Zaporoshje, Ukraine.

The list is the major big events in GM history.
Emphasis is on its intl. world-wide impacts.

jjaba, research dept.

Mikem

Post Number: 1473
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, thanks for keeping me up all night. A few observations:

1. The glass-wall building does look like a boiler room, but it is the one running east-west immediately north of where the powerplant with the stack was. Here's a better shot from 1981:

stack81

From this you can see that the power house is piping steam over the top of Mt Elliott to the Outer Drive/Mt Elliott plant. In the original photo, the steam line goes all the way over to Mound Rd Engine. Based on the location of the power house, I'm going to assume the buildings on the east side of Mt Elliott were Chrysler as well.

2. The Chevy plant at Nine Mile and Mound through the years:

'49Chevy

1949 - Interesting cluster of buildings, with the surrounding driveways and symetrical entrances. The big square at the bottom is the freshly built Chrysler Nine Mile Stamping.

'61Chevy

1961 - Chrysler has been enlarged.

'03Chevy

2003 - Now they're all under one roof.

3. Looking back at the military housing complex, I see it was there as far back as 1949:

'49housing

It's a small group of homes, maybe for the military personnel working as liasons at the plants during the war? Maybe for an MP detatchment? Initially I thought it could be for an anti-aircraft gun detachment. I browsed the neighborhood and didn't see anything. Then I stumbled across this anti-aircraft gun site across Hoover from Divco:

'52Divco

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 4:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packard Electric - still in business today...

PackardNextDoor.jpg

Bate

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 4.247.134.227
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven, any info on getting a copy of the Bob Cosgrove Milwaukee Junction pamphlet? Who to contact, cost? Thanks

Sven1977

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's a hike but run on down to the Historical Museum in Detroit and go to the gift shop. It's only $2.00 and parking is free on the street during the weekend. It can be hard to find a place on the street though. Maybe if you send them $3 they will mail it out. t's up to Bob if he wants to post it.

Mikem

Post Number: 1474
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bate, I'm heading down there today; I'll get you one.

Bate

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 4.247.137.234
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys. If you remember I'm not a local. Mike if you are able to pick one up I will be happy to swap you something of interest for your time and effort. You can pm me batinc@gate.net

Eric

Sven1977

Post Number: 79
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry bate. I forget there is a big Detroit fan club in Florida. Here are a few more related auto-related Sanborn maps. I have a number of non-auto maps I will post on another thread at some point. Some are from Detroit and others are from Poniac.

Flanders Electric-Makers of Electric Motors. Maybe THE Mr. Flanders owned this too.

Mansfield Steel Corpn.-Mfrs. of Steel Dump Truck Bodies.

Massnick-Phipps-Mfrs. of Auto Parts and Engines
Located at Champlain and Canton. This company produced cars for the Robie Motor Car Company and an engines called the Perkins. This must have been a small factory. They had two major plants at Lafayette & Meldrum an on River St.

A local REO dealer perhaps?

The Welch factory in Pontiac in 1909. Saginaw is the Pontiac name for Woodward Ave.

The O.J. Beaudette & Company. Mfgr. of Auto Bodies in the White. A big complex for a company I've never heard of before.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1694
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent maps, Sven. You do incredible work for this thread.
MikeM, get some rest before flying. We don't want you dozing over Cleveland.
jjaba

Mikem

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bate, check your email.

Sven, I think this is the second one above, Mansfield Steel:

Mansfield

(Message edited by MikeM on April 28, 2005)

Jjaba

Post Number: 1698
Posted on Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool viaduct. Old style. Hey Lowell, what's the tag say?

Mike, what is this factory and where is it? We need some labels. Thanks.
jjaba

Kathleen

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 140.244.107.151
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After posting the link to the Cadillac Centennial driving tour brochure, I went back out to that website to see what other brochures/booklets are available. So just in case you didn't acquire all of these wonderful driving tour documents, here's the link to brochures for driving tours for Cadillac and Olds, and booklets on Ford, Buick, and Rouge River automotive/industrial (which includes coverage of Hines Drive and the many Henry Ford "village industries" mill sites):

http://www.experienceeverythin gautomotive.org/tours.asp?cat= 12

These are wonderful documents, with information and photos and maps.

Aiw

Post Number: 3761
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to Kathleen's link I found this about the Delray Fisher plant:

quote:

Fleetwood Plant Site
Delray, 261 West End Ave (at West Fort Street), Detroit
This plant was initially constructed (by Albert Kahn) in 1917 to
build WWI aircrafts.
Fisher Body acquired Fleetwood Body Corp. in 1925 for
$650,000. Fleetwood’s Pennsylvania plant was small and obsolete
even then. Its reputation, on the other hand, ranked at
the top of the coach building industry. Fleetwood thus became
Cadillac’s in-house coachbuilder, and GM promoted its name
nearly as much as Fisher’s. Soon after the purchase, Fisher moved
Fleetwood’s sales offi ce and design personnel from New York
City to Detroit and made Plant #18 the main Fisher Body
Fleetwood plant. Then in 1931, GM closed the Pennsylvania
facility altogether, moving some of its craftsmen to Detroit. The
plant was closed by GM in the 1980’s and torn down in 1993.
A majority of the site now stores shipping containers with a
small remnant of the plant still standing East of West End
Ave.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any Canadian guy who can tell me something is East of West End Avenue knows his stuff. Andrew knows more about Detroit than most Detroiters and all Canadians. You need to apply for Director of the Albert Kahn Firm, History Dept. You are amazing!

jjaba

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 580
Posted From: 146.9.52.20
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sven1977, The old OJ Beaudette house in Pontic is now a fraternity house for Oakland University. His son's house is still standing on Huron, near Pontiac Central HS. It used to be the Pontiac YWCA but is now a private residence.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1706
Posted on Friday, April 29, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.J. BEAUDETTE BODY COMPANY, PONTIAC, MICHIGAN.

The company was started in 1891 and lasted until purchased by Fisher Body in 1922. They were a great carriage maker until automobiles came along. They were the first to build steel auto bodies and for Ford alone, built 2 MILLION auto bodies in their Pontiac plant.

Although Ford called them "Pontiac" bodies, each was stamped "B" with a unique number on the floorboards. After Fisher bought them, they cranked out bodies for Chevy and Oakland Car Companies.

Among the Ford model T were the Torpedo, Roadster, Touring, Coupe, Town Car, Landaulet, Tourabout, and Deliver Wagons. For Ford, in 1917 alone, they built 361,292 bodies in one year. During that period, their numbers were very high for Ford.

They built auto bodies for Jackson Auto Co. and American Auto Company.

Oliver Leo Beaudette, the son of OJ, lived as a millionaire at 269 W. Huron in the Frankiln Hisoric District, Pontiac. There's a sign in front of the house and others in this neighborhood.

The plant had several fires and burned down in 1903. They rebuilt, bigger and better. Nobody who worked there ever went without a job. The Beaudette factory site today is Rotary Park, Baldwin and Kennet Rds., Pontiac.
In 1906, the new plant built 50,000 Ford bodies.

During World War II, Beaudette, already Fisher Body by then and owned by GM, built 90 mm Army anti-aircraft guns and 5 in. Navy gunmounts for the War. All auto body production was put on hold "for the duration".

jjaba, remembering Beaudette and "Pontiac" bodies.

Sven1977

Post Number: 81
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A good Fisher Body site that someone posted on the "Boston-Edison" thread.
http://www.geocities.com/sponc om26/index.html

Mikem

Post Number: 1486
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I stopped in at the Historical Museum to pick up Bob's brochure, I also bought the book "Fun at Work, Hudson Style" by Harry Kraus, Sr., a former Hudson worker. He has some good stories of working in the old plant, and there are some terrific photos that he credits to the Ypsilanti Automotive Heritage Museum. Check it out next time you're in the neighborhood.

Kathleen

Post Number: 471
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM: That sounds like the book I picked up in Ypsilanti at the Automobile Heritage Collection and Miller Motors Hudson (http://www.ypsiautoheritage.or g/). This was a neat museum featuring Tucker, Kaiser and Frazier, and Hudson models, plus the "world's last Hudson Dealer." Is the book dark brown, 8x11, paperback? If it's the same one, I enjoyed reading the personal reminiscences.

Check out the book...and the museum in Ypsi!!!

Mikem

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that's it Kathleen! Here it is on their gift shop page: http://www.ypsiautoheritage.or g/gifts.htm I'll visit the museum soon.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 581
Posted From: 146.9.52.123
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Jjaba. All very interesting. There are rumors that OJ Beaudette's wife still haunts the 2nd and 3rd floors of the fraternity house.

Aiw

Post Number: 3769
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Kathleen...

Something to add to my "to do" list.

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 473
Posted From: 63.115.63.131
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you go to Miller Motors find Jack Miller, the "owner" of the Hudson dealer. That man has some amazing stories to tell about the dealer and his cars.

Kathleen

Post Number: 472
Posted on Monday, May 02, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave and I made a day of it, taking in the Yankee Air Museum (just a few months before it burned), the Ford Willow Run plant remains, and Ypsilanti's Depot Town area.

Check out the whole Ypsilanti Depot Town website for other automotive and historical sites, including the Preston Tucker family home just a couple blocks away!!

And, if you're lucky, you'll get the same volunteer we talked to. He was a fount of knowledge about the Hudson Motor Car Co.!!!

Sven1977

Post Number: 82
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have included some new pictures with the Sanborn maps from Pontiac. The first is a building which matches the location of the Olympian/Cartercar factory on Franklin.

Notice it says, "Pontiac ? Wagon Works. Pontiac used to have many wagon builders.

The next building is across Saginaw (Woodward). It used to be the Standard Vehicle Company but in the early part of the last century, it was added onto and became Oakland Motor Car plant #3. Standard vehicle was a wagon builder.

And finally for fun, the map of Navin Field in Detriot in 1910.

GO GET'EM TIGERS!

Jjaba

Post Number: 1723
Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Your maps of the old Pontiac shops look so much older than the Albert Kahnesque modern plants of the 20th Century, eh.

Looks like Pontiac has its share of car shop ruins also. Wonderful posts. Might be worth a trip up there sometimes.

Do you have any pics. of Rotary Park, the site of OJ Beaudette Factory, previously described by jjaba?

jjaba, thanks.

Sven1977

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by the park last weekend. It's basically just a park. Nothing to take pictures of. I found it difficult to see where the old tracks were. There is part of chainlink fence there and that is about it. Although Pontiac does have a lot of car history. Especially north of the city.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Friday, May 06, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sven. There's probably no marker about this great auto body builder either. Remember, OJ Beaudette made 2 million auto bodies for Ford alone. Ford called them "Pontiac" bodies. They built for other companies too, previously mentioned. Maybe some of the Rotarians know the story.
jjaba

Kathleen

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dr. Charles Hyde, author of the recently published The Dodge Brothers: The Men, the Motor Cars, and the Legacy (WSU Press), will be speaking at the inaugural Detroit Book Festival on Saturday, May 14, 4-6 pm at the Detroit Public Library.

For more details on the Festival:
http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/b ookfestival/images/FestivalEve ntList.pdf

Kathleen

Post Number: 506
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally had a chance to pick up the Milwaukee Junction "brochure" at the Detroit Historical Museum gift shop. I must say that this is much more than a brochure. At 32 pages, "Milwaukee Junction: Cradle of Detroit's Automotive History" is a booklet full of information and photos about 36 automotive-related sites; includes a foldout map as well as short biographical sketches on the people associated with the sites in two categories: "Automotive Notables" and "The Architects & Engineers."

This is definitely a must-have!!! I picked up a couple extra to bring to the picnic.

Aiw

Post Number: 3850
Posted From: 65.92.103.100
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Bob should bring a few copies of his brocure to sell at the picnic? I'd gladly pick one up.

Now to add a few more photos I've been meaning to for a while...

The Champion Spark plug Factory in Windsor:

chapion

This one is called Border City Industries (?) I have no idea what they made, but the plant was eventually absorbed in to the G.M. Transmission Plant and has vanished.

BCI

Jjaba

Post Number: 1780
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great photos Andrew.

Border Cities Industries was set up by Govts. to make War things. Huge masses of Detroit-Windsor auto workers worked on War productions. Govt. built the buildings and the car execs. ran the ops. After WWII, the Govt sold off the plants to private companies who helped with the War efforts.
Detroit-Windsor, Arsenal of Democracy.
jjaba

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 207.74.111.96
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who can't get to the Detroit Historical Museum Gift Shop, the "Milwaukee Junction - Cradle of Detroit's Automobile Industry" brochure mentioned in this thread is available by sending a self-addressed No. 10 business size envelope along with a check payable to the Detroit Historical Society for $3 ($2 in the gift shop) to my attention: Bob Cosgrove, Detroit Historical Museum, 5401 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, MI 48202. Note on the envelope "Milwaukee Junction."

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 207.74.111.96
Posted on Monday, May 16, 2005 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread opened with photos of Norton Abrasives. Somewhat forgotten is the fact that Charles H. Norton was a partner with Henry M. Leland in the machine shop Leland opened in Detroit in 1890 as Leland, Faucloner & Norton. Norton left the partnership in 1894. Leland and Norton went on to become giants in American industry. Leland as the founder of both Cadillac and Lincoln. Norton as the founder of Norton Abrasives. Norton makes abrasives, adhesives, sealants and safety products. It was acquired in 1990 by Saint Gobain of France.
Bob Cosgrove

Mikem

Post Number: 1557
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught this on a 1926 map, showing the brief time that the Chrysler McGraw Glass, ex-DeSoto plant, was owned by General Motors (Cadillac) to build the LaSalle:

LaSalle

Also, if our research is correct, before LaSalle it was used to bulid Liberty airplane engines during WWI, and before that the Saxon automobile. I see that a short stretch of McGraw was named Saxon at this time.

Jjaba

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of this is correct Mike and previousy stated on this thread. You do great work, my friend.

jjaba remembers when the Ringling Bros. Circus came to Detroit and the big top went up at Wyoming and Ford Rd. siding. Like today, the animals and people lived on the Circus Train.
It was quite a spectacle. today, they live on the train but play inside big arenas.

The Desoto plant was very close to the circus as jjaba recalls.
jjaba, Westsider off of Wyoming Avenue.

Mikem

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 2:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few other clippings from a 1918 map I acquired:

Liberty Motor Car Co on Lycaste, south of E Jefferson - I know the Budd plant on Charlevoix was Liberty, but did we find anything about Liberty in this neighborhood?

Liberty

Another Saxon Motor Co at E Vernor (Waterloo at that time) and Beaufait.

SaxonMotor

If the map is accurate, that would be this building, now a printing company:

Saxon

The collection of Paige, Studebaker, and Timken in the W Fort/W Jefferson/Clark Ave neighborhood, as well as the Scotten Tabacco Warehouse. This same map shows the Studebaker plant on Piquette but not the Paige factory on W Warren.

downriver

Briefly mentioned before were Northway Motors which became one of Chevrolet's first plants, and Hayes which was a body manufacturer before joining with Kelsey. This is in the vicinity of W Warren and Lawton (the tracks are crossing Warren and Grand River on the right):

Northway

Sven1977

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I've missed the Old Car Factory action in the last week. I was off in Europe seeing "Battlefields and Dead People." My Sanborn photocopy is at home but I know Liberty is on the map by Lycaste. I believe one of the buildings is still there by a railroad spur. It's on the upper left of the curve along the track according to the Terra Server Spyscope.
The Beaufait area has been a tough one to fine on the maps. The original 1910-1920's map is missing. A lot of stuff was on that road but I haven't been able to track it with its original label. As for Northway, I don't think I included these maps before.

Sven1977

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some fun Sanborn map "leftovers."

Hoops? Hulas or skirts?

Were there any homes for Old Swedes?

Rollercoaster ride anyone? This map is 1910 or before.

Mikem

Post Number: 1600
Posted on Monday, May 23, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wheel hoops?

Where was the German Home?

The Palace Gardens amusement park was next to the Belle Isle bridge: http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=104&categ ory=life Also visible is the Phillip Kling brewery, located there since the Civil War.
Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Old Car Factories » Old Car Factories - 9
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24