Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Sen. Hansen Clarke anyone for mayor? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1223
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is there currently a discussion on Hansen Clarke? I know we are talking about the big three (KK, FH, and SM) but I think I will seriously vote for Hansen Clarke. He was the best speaker at the debate this week.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 763
Posted From: 207.145.20.2
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You have got to be kidding? He was a joke everyone was laughing at him? Other than on TV have you seen him speak publicly? I mean he is a nice guy and all (and I speak to him about twice a week at Avalon Bakery) but he does not have the guts to be a good mayor that will do what we need done! I saw him speak at a Forum a few weeks ago and he kept talking about how his mother dressed like a man - but he could talk about her because she was dead? That is just weird!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2454
Posted From: 207.74.111.13
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody in Detroit wants a KING Kwame KILLpatrick / Howdy Doody clone for mayor. You got be kidding, Ltorivia485.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1227
Posted From: 69.220.233.7
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is not a "Howdy Doody" clone for mayor. Who cards if the audience was "laughing"? They stopped when he finished what he had to say. He was the best speaker at the debate. And he speaks the truth below -

After Hendrix said he agreed a mayor needs police protection, Clarke said: "I won't need executive protection. I'm from the east side, and I can handle myself."

After the audience and his opponents stopped laughing, Clarke added: "Do I need protection as mayor? Probably. But you need the protection more," he said, referring to Detroiters.

Hansen Clarke

Experience: State senator; served three terms in the state House; graduated from Georgetown Law School

Drives: 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis

http://www.freep.com/news/poli tics/detdebate1e_20050701.htm

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1228
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clarkeformayor.com/

- Introduced legislation to stop a state takeover of Detroit
- Opposed Proposal E, restoring the people's right to vote for the Detroit Public School Board
- Shut down a hazardous waste plant that was polluting a Detroit neighborhood
- Passed legislation to stop childhood lead poisoning
- Secured $5 million to tear down dangeorus structures and redevelop homes in Detroit
- Passed legislation to provide emergency food stamps to families affected by domestic violence

Now, Danny how is he KING KILPATRICK? He voted against half the things Kilpatrick would have voted upon! Plus, he has a decent track record unlike the other candidates on the stage.

(Message edited by ltorivia485 on July 03, 2005)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 765
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Lit - I have seen him personally at a total of three debates - he is a goof and an embarassment. NO ONE takes him serious in the aduience. Honestly you are the only person I have heard say anything about him positive as a mayoral candidates. Don't let desperation drive you to poor judgement. He is a NICE GUY with the best of intentions but he is not mayoral material.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, I will have to disagree with you. I see potential in Hansen Clarke, and from what he has done in the State House (the literature is plentiful out there), I think he can bring miracles for the City of Detroit.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 768
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He would be eaten alive in a week as mayor.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3126
Posted From: 68.73.53.134
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansen is a nice guy, even attended a DetroitYes "rave party" once that the police RAIDED. (lol .... that was before me naming another group of kids the FSC .... which has stuck & been adopted.) He's full of schitt regarding this mayoral race though. Bought & Paid for in this race.

I wouldn't be surprised if he runs against Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick next year for the U.S. House seat. Go figure .... on politricks

Black-atcha .....

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 1376
Posted From: 66.167.211.127
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol at Ras. DetroitYes "rave party". You mean that Corktown Press fundraiser at the Bo-house where I met you and Jmil? Word was they were looking for ex-black panthers and left disappointed leaving the party running but not before pooping the party.

Interesting speculation on the Cheeks-Kilpatrick challenge however. Imagine both ends of the Kilpatrick dynasty getting knocked out in 12 months. I don't think he is a serious challenger for mayor, but if he could make a decent showing it would advance his name recognition and prospects.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3131
Posted From: 68.73.53.134
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep ... Lowell; I definitely agree. I talked with him the Monday before the debate, as he asked me to prep him on some City tax issues. (He's is a longtime friend .... even as I label him Howdy-Doody-at-the-debate!) He was shaking like a leaf then .... it came through, visually, during the debate.

But, he has a decent voting constituency that really likes him on State congressional matters; not especially for a CEO position as mayor. That constituency could easily be transposed onto a run for the Washington seat.

Black-atcha ....

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Due to the fact that I don't know much or care much about Mr. Eastside, I feel that in the debate he was just merely campaigning. He did not not intrigue me one bit. i had the pleasure to hear him on the radio a few weeks ago and I just didn't like waht i heard. The other three candidates were more issue oriented. Even though I despise KK he really worked the camera and made it feel as though he was talking to the people.(I guess that is learned behavior growing up in politics).

Helfy
Username: Helfy

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Sunday, July 03, 2005 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A vote for Clarke is one more vote that KK or FH will not get! OK by me.
McPhail in the primary! YEA BABY!

Bjl7997
Username: Bjl7997

Post Number: 72
Posted From: 208.39.169.124
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i agree with you Ltorivia. im going with Hansen Clarke because he speaks out for us Detroiters. if anything goes bad in this city, he'll do anything to solve or troubleshoot the issues. that is what i heard from my friend.

Danny

Post Number: 2475
Posted From: 141.217.173.161
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HELL NO! Bjl7997, If you or anyone support KING KWAME's lackey, you all will open Parandox's Box, release lots of troubles for the future of Detroit. Clark will NEVER EVER going to make it the primary. Most Detroiters NEVER heard of him and surely most Detroiters will not support him for future mayor.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansen Clarke is a breath of fresh air compared to the other candidates. While i dont think he has a chance in this election, he is a voice for the future, and this go-round will give him that much more recognition. The FREE PRESS editorial that endorses Freman Hendrix states in their last paragraph that Clarke should be considered for a role in the next administration, as his heart and energies are solidly for this city.

Danny

Post Number: 2478
Posted From: 141.217.173.161
Posted on Tuesday, July 05, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think lil miss Leoqueen, Have something for that " Howdy Doody" Clark after all. If Hendrix appoint him to the administration and if he play his cards right then he'll have my vote for future mayor of Detroit.

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Clarke is a very decent man. I look forward to helping him when he runs for something else.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 793
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you JDM I would help him on something else he is a decent guy but not for mayor. Maybe he should run against KK's mama? Now that would be good!

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how well he would perform as mayor, but he seems like the candidate with the least amount of politics and the most amount of passion. I think this guy actually cares about the city so much that he wouldn't hire relatives or spend big on credit cards or just generally lie. That may be the best qualification so far. Don't think he's likely to win... but at least I can sleep at night.

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say we "right here, right now," start a movement to draft Clarke to run to represent Michigan's 13th Congressional District (currently represented by C.C. Kilpatrick) in the U.S. House. Who's with me?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1047
Posted From: 66.2.148.66
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've met him a couple times. One on one he has charisma and intelligence and energy. I like him. I don't think he's quite ready to be mayor. I suspect that he would be the target of all sorts of mud slinging from the "not black enough" crowd...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 803
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice guy and yes I have met him several times and seen him at candidate's forums (outside of TV) and he REALLY has no plan. He is good at sound bites. I think he would be good for something (maybe congress against Cheeks-Kilpatrick). But not for mayor.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am really starting to like this guy. Whats not to like? His passion is infectious; I really liked when he did some photos on the lawn of Manog. mansion with a "for sale" sign. Laugh if you must...but there is NO doubt in my mind that given 4 years, Hansen would evolve into TWICE the mayor that KK has become. That being said, I am throwing everything behind Hendrix...cause this election is too important, KK has got to leave this city.

(Message edited by eastside on July 23, 2005)

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 46
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, I agree 90% (until the Hendrix support part). I heard about the sign in front of the mansion and cracked up. He seems to be a honest guy with alot of heart, but not enough recognition to have much of a chance. I almost would rather he not be appointed to anything in the next mayoral administration, since I think he could provide a good check against powermongers if he's not involved. Just about anything else he runs for, he'll have my support.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 69.208.125.77
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read about Mr Clarke in the Metro Times yesterday and was really very surprised at his degree of genuine empathy.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7977

My first thought was "This guy's a water sign" after I read that he had become emotional during his conversation with the reporter(s). And sure enough, he's a Pisces, born on 2 March.

I found this to be especially condescending by the Metro Times:

"We believe he’s a sincere man, dedicated to helping the downtrodden people and neighborhoods he left behind. His emotion in speaking about past tragedies and current inequities is both palpable and visible; he was overcome with that emotion several times during our interview. But that isn’t a positive in a candidate who would assume the crushingly tough, emotionally challenging job of Detroit mayor."

For years Detroiters have yearned for a genuine candidate as mayor, someone whose hunger is not political power, recognition and self aggrandizement, but a literal and all consuming passion for the residents of this great City. The other 3 candidates are very transparent in their pursuit of and obsession with the acquisition of power and obtaining the job title of Mayor of Detroit. Hendrix would obviously be the candidate of choice to get things done due to his intricate knowledge of and experience in running the CoD, but he's a true political player who will 'pay to play', and this City can't take on another narcissistic leader and hope to evolve rather than devolve.

That being said, Clarke does seem to be the type of candidate who would be devoured by the political wolves rather quickly, and he would therefore require a Machiavellian type of character standing in his shadow, always ready to pounce on the many maladroit yet politically savvy opponents incessantly attempting to preserve the status quo this City has been crippled by for far too long.

But what do I know? I've only lived here a short while.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 69.246.49.148
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To be honest with you all, Hansen really seems to have compassion. But due to the fact that I just don't know him and where he is coming from, I put him in my top 2, not being number 1. Its as if he just popped in and started running for Mayor. If I could chose 2 Mayors he would be my second choice on August 2.

I would support him in a race against Queen Kilpatrick though. it would give me more time to learn more about him!!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2979
Posted From: 67.37.84.62
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real coverage about a candidate.
http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1 &twindow=&mad=&sdetail=1958&wp age=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=& ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reop tion=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=& rebed=&rebath=&subname=

quote:

Sen. Hansen Clarke who is running for mayor came in second with 119(missed votes).

Why do other media outlets not report on Hansen's performance in the state? Do they think his record might not reflect his talk? If they really looked into his elected past (as State Senator and State Rep.) what would they discover? It most likely would affect his 'polling'.

Why is there so much lopsided coverage by the larger media in this election season?

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 69.216.138.127
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we used to live in the same building until I moved across the street to my new loft and we have the same cleaning lady.....shouts out to Gerdy...anyway I digress....the few times we talked he seemed genuine in what he had to say and he struck me as a very personable guy,I think it would be breath of fresh air to have someone in office who doesn't have a political past with the city or a family who has a past(politically) with detroit.