Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » FREE PRESS: McPhail, Napoleon unveil plan to fight crime « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail, Napoleon unveil plan to fight crime

If elected mayor, she says, she'll target drug houses
July 6, 2005

BY PATRICIA MONTEMURRI
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

On Artesian Street, just south of Warren Avenue, the Detroit mayor's race could be decided by what happens to the burned, broken house that's an ugly poke to the eye on this block of tidy westside homes.

Neighbors say the house was frequented by drug dealers and prostitutes, and was firebombed this spring. Last month, a man was found dead in the garage, apparently from a drug overdose. On Tuesday, broken windows revealed a caved-in mess. Furniture and stuffed animals were piled along the glass-littered sidewalk.

Against this backdrop, mayoral candidate Sharon McPhail, who campaigns with former police chief Benny Napoleon as her prospective deputy mayor, touted a multi-faceted plan to reduce crime in the city by 50 percent in four years.

"We will make Detroit the safest major metropolitan area in the United States," said McPhail, a first-term city councilwoman.

Napoleon, who served as police chief for three years under Mayor Dennis Archer, said they'll beef up crews to raid drug houses "365 days a year, 24 hours a day to take the profit motive" out of drug-dealing.

Napoleon said that as chief, he had deployed about 15 crews to target drug houses. He said the current police force deploys fewer crews. Napoleon said he'll staff up to 36 to 40 crews to conduct raids, if McPhail becomes mayor.

"That will dry this town up. I promise you that," said Napoleon.

McPhail and Napoleon said they'll work within a tight budget to make their plans do-able.

Because of the city's budget crisis, the Detroit City Council approved a plan that would cut $54 million from the Police Department. Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has announced plans to tentatively lay off more than 600 police officers later this summer -- nearly one-fourth of the force -- because of the budget approved by the City Council to deal with a projected $300-million deficit.

Meanwhile, McPhail told neighbors she'll push city building officials to board up the property, but preferably demolish it.

"The block is a nice block. That's the only bad seed," said Tianna McNary, 25, a legal associate, who may buy a brick house across the street from the charred hulk. McNary said she voted for Kilpatrick four years ago, but liked what she saw of McPhail on Tuesday and in a televised debate last week.

Donna Sutherland, 39, a teacher, bought a house there 15 years ago. Her parents still live up the street. She calls it a wonderful, diverse neighborhood in which to raise her son, 7. But she's frustrated.

"This makes it incredibly hard to stay here," she said. She voted for Kilpatrick four years ago, and is not sure who will get her vote this time.

"There have been positive changes, but none that have impacted me. This is one little house, but this gets big. This affects my life."

The primary is Aug. 2. In addition to Kilpatrick, McPhail's main opponents are former deputy mayor Freman Hendrix and state Sen. Hansen Clarke.

Contact PATRICIA MONTEMURRI at 313-223-4538 or montemurri@freepress.com.

http://www.freep.com/news/poli tics/mcphail6e_20050706.htm

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish one time the power of two would say how they are going to be paying for everything they are going to do.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1827
Posted From: 68.251.227.241
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander,
That was the first thing that came to my mind, as well, reading the article.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two questions for all her grand ideas, what are you going to cut (privatize) and how are you going to pay for it. These are two things she will never be able to answer.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2488
Posted From: 207.74.110.58
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!! Their plans of lowing crime in most Detroit ghettohoods is bring in Mayor Roman Gribbs' experiment of "STRESS". Imagine that evil witch with her black cat brought back the program but with some upgrades from local communty police force. Then will have a safe ghettohoods but under big brother eyes. Detroit would became one big "INGSOG" totalitarian facist city under the eyes of "BIG SISTER" McFAILED! Lot's of Detroiters will absolutely NOT vote for her. She have a instinct of " BULL CONNER" and Napoleon too. I glad thios city pick Archer rather than Coleman Young's lackey.

And by the way. Since she full support from suburbantopia including L.B. Patterson I would not be long that this city would be under recievership and suburbantopian control NO THANKS TO HER, if she becomes mayor.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay,

I have had about enough of people calling her "evil witch". If you really believed that she was an evil witch, you wouldn't be making your opinions public.......unless of course you do not believe. And if you do not believe, you are just throwing around that term lightly, which offends true witches. And by the way, all witches are not evil, just misunderstood.....

Sorry, had to get that out...it was bugging me!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2906
Posted From: 68.73.32.19
Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The plan as proposed by Sharon McPhail and Benny Napoleon is the same as he did when he was chief. Back then there was less money spent on the DPD than today. The question should be, with more money being spent, why is crime not going down? And if the power of two can make a promise, of which they will be held to keep, can the other candidates also make their own promises or are they merely going to say "I will try our hardest to make a difference"?