Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Ailing golf venture plagues Hendrix bid « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting Article on Hendrix's Golf Dome he owns with ED MCNAMARA!!!

Thursday, July 7, 2005

Ailing golf venture plagues Hendrix bid

By David Josar / The Detroit News

Robin Buckson / The Detroit News

Mulligan's Learning Centers, a pair of Oakland County golf facilities whose owners include three former Wayne County officials and Detroit mayoral candidate Freman Hendrix, has struggled financially for the past three years since a windstorm destroyed its practice dome, once touted as the largest in the world.

The centers have been sued six times since 2003 on complaints ranging from defaulting on a $467,000 promissory note to failing to pay for 8,400 golf balls delivered in 2002. Last week, Michigan filed a $7,208 claim against the property in Auburn Hills because the state was not paid withholding taxes.

In April, Oakland County filed a certificate of forfeiture against the South Lyon facility because of unpaid 2003 property taxes.

Meanwhile, contractors and the Internal Revenue Service filed liens totaling nearly $1 million against Mulligan's.

But Hendrix, who won a key endorsement in the mayor's race Wednesday from the Detroit Police Officers Association, says it's unfair to use the facility's problems to challenge his qualifications for the office, a tactic now being used by incumbent Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick.

"With this record of mismanagement, how can you trust Freman Hendrix to manage Detroit," says a flier being circulated by the mayor's re-election campaign.

Hendrix estimates he invested between $200,000 and $250,000 in the golf centers and concedes the business has failed to generate any return. But he said he was not active in managing Mulligan's and didn't make business decisions.

"It was an investment, like buying GM stock or real estate ... just like my other investments," he said.

"My life has been open book," said Hendrix, deputy mayor in the administration of Dennis Archer who has spent 30 years in public service.

"There has never been a question of my ethics. I have done everything in my career with integrity."No one can attack that."

The windstorm in 2002 was "devastating," Hendrix said, and the facility has struggled since. The partners have unsuccessfully been trying to sell the facilities, he said.

Mulligan's other backers include former Wayne County Executive Ed McNamara, ex-Detroit Metro Airport Director David Katz, and Dale Jurcisin, former Wayne County information processing executive.

Oakland County court records show that Katz and, later, Jurcisin both had run Mulligan's, but now a management firm has taken over those operations, Hendrix said.

Mark Zausmer, the attorney for the other partners, did not return phone calls nor did the partners.

Hendrix had worked for McNamara as assistant county executive for legislative affairs.

In general, it is fair to use Hendrix's business dealings as a campaign issue, political consultant Sam Riddle said.

"Hendrix is wearing the mantle of front-runner in some circles, and his business dealing is open for scrutinizing," Riddle said.

"One could infer from his business dealings the type of decisions he would make as the mayor of a financially strapped city like Detroit."

The investors began pooling their money to acquire land for the golf centers in the early 1990s, according to property records.

In March 1997, the partners purchased Hock Acres, a 27-acre driving range with an 18-hole miniature golf course in South Lyon on a $1.3 million land contract.

In 1997, the golf center was surrounded by farmland. Today, it is in the middle of a massive residential boom with new homes selling for $400,000 to $500,000, according to sale brochures.

Hendrix said the land there has development value, which could be a way to get out of the failing business deal.

Mulligan's negotiated a long-term lease in 1998 with Waste Management Inc., the trash disposal firm, for land to be used for the Auburn Hills golf dome, which was constructed over a landfill.

The Auburn Hills golf dome opened in December 1999. At the time, partners also included former professional golfer Rick Smith and attorney David Fink, a founding shareholder in the Michigan law firm Zausmer, Kaufman, August & Caldwell.

The $7 million facility boasted indoor and outdoor driving ranges, target greens, miniature golf and a pro shop. The main feature was the ill-fated 90,000-square-foot golf dome.

Shortly after opening the facility, McNamara and Fink, in a Detroit News interview, said they planned to add a 27-hole, par-three golf course and two more retail developments.

But a windstorm in 2002 caused a cable to snap and rip a hole in the side of the dome, shutting the facility for a year and touching off the series of lawsuits and defaults.

You can reach David Josar at (313) 222-2073 or djosar@detnews.com.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2500
Posted From: 141.217.173.158
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! It would take more than a minature "goof" to con Hendrix out of the mayors race.

Quinn

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mulligan's other backers include former Wayne County Executive Ed McNamara, ex-Detroit Metro Airport Director David Katz, and Dale Jurcisin, former Wayne County information processing executive."

"Mulligan's negotiated a long-term lease in 1998 with Waste Management Inc., the trash disposal firm, for land to be used for the Auburn Hills golf dome, which was constructed over a landfill." Tony Soave owns Waste Management.

Hmmm...Ed McNamara and Tony Soave... Super Slueth Quinn to the rescue

I was thinking of posting this yesterday...Tony Soave built freman's condo in florida.

"The company's latest investment partner on both The Dunes and Regatta is Detroit area businessman Anthony Soave. The well-heeled Soave has diverse interests, including trash hauling and disposal, bus and taxi services, beer distributorships, and a scrap metal business." - http://www.signaturecommunitie s.com/news.htm

And on this page of that anti freman site ( http://whoisfremanhendrix.com/ chapter2.htm ) there is a link printed on a jpeg at the bottom for collier apprasier. http://www.collierappraiser.co m/ I did a search in naples for McNamara, Edward and it returned this: MCNAMARA, EDWARD A=& CAROL J and and address at: MARBELLE CLUB OF MARCO ISLAND CONDOMINIUM worth $ 1,155,000.00. Can anyone tell is this THE ex wayne county executive?

I googled mcnamara and soave and found this out about another florida haunt soave owned and leased to mcnamara for half the price. "The company, Power Vac Service Inc., is controlled by Anthony Soave, a friend of McNamara with longtime business ties to the county. McNamara vacationed at a condominium in Sarasota, Fla., that was owned by Soave in 1989, 1991 and 1992. McNamara said he paid monthly rent of $1,500, which is less than half of the $3,700 the units fetched at the time." - http://www.detnews.com/2002/sp ecialreport/0212/16/c05-36550. htm

This is fun.

Ya I know all is legal...all of this is public information. It's just that "The ties that run deep" sort of a thing. I remember that McNamara is under investigation and I think alot of us think he took advantage of his post. The fact that hendrix is connected with both of these charachters isn't illegal, but doesn't look good to me. Like the cadillac.

So bring it on everyone...what you have to say?

Quinn

Post Number: 428
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not trying to con hendrix danny, merely posting links to other bits of information.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 4.229.9.66
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny how "believable" the News and Freep are when it suits ones political purpose.... and how biased and untrustworthy they are when it doesn't....

(Quinn, I am not knocking you, just the whole Mayoral thread in general...)

(Message edited by gistok on July 07, 2005)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1833
Posted From: 68.79.101.160
Posted on Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it amazing, while many of us are looking for answers to what the candidates have to offer.
"Supporters" who can't seem to answer the most basic of questions regarding their candidate's platform, take so much time and effort to find "dirt" on opponents and post them.

Unbelievable!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2915
Posted From: 67.37.83.150
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I find it interesting that Hendrix partners are being investigated by the FBI. It may not have anything to do with Hendrix but most folks don't get linked with others under investigation for corruption.

Quinn

Post Number: 429
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams...if you don't have anything intelligent to add other than ad hominem, tiring rants than why bother. Your derisory and hissy-like rants are tiresome.

Brian, you are right on there. All freman people reading: stop the deflection and talk about this. Defend it or explain...don't wimp out like sad old man Jams. (inclined to place a photo of a fat whiney baby here but won't)

Jams

Post Number: 1835
Posted From: 69.212.26.188
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,
Again, are you like twelve years old?

I've never attacked any of the candidates.

I've posted questions to the supporters of all candidates regarding their positions and I'll do it again.

If you can't handle that, keep playing in the sandbox, the rest of us have a job to do getting our City on track to what it should be.

P.S. Do you dare OUT yourself as I have?

What is your problem?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 807
Posted From: 69.246.4.46
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JAMS - Look I have been ingoring you for months becuase conversations with you never go anywhere! If you want answers to ALL the "what your candidate will do" then f*ing read her web site. Read the News article posted on here. We are volunteers. We are not insiders...how do you expect us to know EVERYTHING! She has rolled out substantial plans on Taxes, Crime, and Education. ALl detailed and all ready for you to read on the web site or posted here. I have not seen squat from the Hendrix camp other than tearing the McPhail people down. FINALLY someone has the balls to print a negative Hendrix story (the News) and that needs to be shared. I am so sick of all the idiots thinking he is God's gift to Detroit. He is not! He is just a man with mistakes in his life to! So read about the mistakes on ALL the candidates and then judge them on what they can get done for the city. Frankly McPhail is the only one that has not had corruption linked to her and there wonn't be any!

So Jams quit asking the same stupid questions and quit telling us how wrong we are. You are not stupid you have enough information to make a decision on your own. Without me reyping a bunch of stuff that I don't have all the answers to.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 992
Posted From: 69.212.50.30
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He is just a man with mistakes in his life to!" - ilovedetroit

If you believe this ilovedetroit, then why do you bad-mouth Hendrix like he is the devil incarnate? You're admitting here that Hendrix is just a man, yet in your posts you act as if he has to be God in order for you to have any respect for him.

None of the candidates are perfect candidates because people aren't perfect. However, ilovedetroit, the bar seems to be raised pretty high where Hendrix is concerned. To be fair to all candidates, make sure you use the bar at the same level for all and not change it when measuring candidates who aren't your preferred choice.

Quinn

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all fairness royce, there are alot of people on here still talking about sambo, electric chair, sending daughter to southfield school, etc etc etc. all of which are either exaggerations, misunderstandings or outright lies.

So, with that, I don't think it's raising the bar too high to look at Freman's short lived business experience given the fact THAT THE DETROIT NEWS DID IT TOO!!!

Don't any of you, without deflecting by bringing up any other candidate, think that this close business relationship with tony soave and ed mcnamara etal. is at least bad looking?

Jams

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's easy to shut me up.

Answer the questions. You "know" the candidate it should be simple.

I despise negative campaigns. Show me what your candidate proposes, not attacks with rumours and unproven allegations on others.

Quinn

Post Number: 434
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.sharonandbenny.com. I assume since you found your way here you can find your way there.

Why is Sharon negative? I might be...but you are mistaking me for representing the campaign. Can you understand that? I really don't think you can.

Jams

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then why are you here?

My questions are directed to all of the candidates.

I've checked all of the candidates' websites regularly, as well as my other avenues of information. I actually have a good idea of their positions on issues.

I ask my questions and ask for proof to keep in check the negativity of some supporters.

Have I struck a nerve?

Quinn

Post Number: 437
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams says: "I find it amazing, while many of us are looking for answers to what the candidates have to offer.
"Supporters" who can't seem to answer the most basic of questions regarding their candidate's platform, take so much time and effort to find "dirt" on opponents and post them."

Unbelievable!

You ask questions and ask for proof? I actually did some work, dug around for 30 minutes MAX and you roast me for posting waht I found.

You didn't ask for any additional proof here just attack me by suggesting I'm more than a supporter. I've answered your questions before...you don't have any new ones. You're a fraud. Who the hell raised you anyway?

Royce

Post Number: 993
Posted From: 69.212.50.30
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, going into a partnership with people who are respected members of the community is not a crime. For all the talk of Ed McNamara being dirty, nothing has been proven. As far as Tony Soave is concerned, I have not heard of any charges brought against him for any wrongdoing.

I have heard several financial advisors say that you should have other means of income besides a paycheck. Having a share of a business is an appropriate way to bring in other income besides one's paycheck.

It is unfortunate if that business doesn't succeed. However, it's not a crime if the business fails, and the partners are not criminals because it failed. They're simply partners who invested in a business that failed.

To question Hendrix' character or ability to be a good mayor is grasping for straws. Many successful business people have had business ventures that didn't work out. They just keep trying 'till something works. Nothing is wrong with that as long as you still have a shirt on your back. Now, if someone blew all of their money on a business venture which caused them to lose their home or blow their retirement, then I might question that person's ability to lead others as mayor. Anything less than that I wouldn't be concerned about their ability to lead.

Jams

Post Number: 1845
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,
I ask the same questions over and over again, because I don't receive answers. At the very least, you should be able to understand what your candidate proposes, otherwise it is a personality contest.

Sorry kids, if you don't get my point and are unable to explain or reiterate your candidate's position, stay in the sandbox and throw dirt.

Sorry if I irritate you, just expressing my opinions.

Quinn

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah if it were only that innocent.

Jams

Post Number: 1846
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you are a thief, you only see others as thieves.

Quinn

Post Number: 441
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to your incessant bitching, "Those who smelt it, delt it."

Jams

Post Number: 1847
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If asking questions and demanding proof of allegations makes me out to be "bitching", so be it.

Although I prefer the term "BASTARD".

I have every right to be concerned about our possible Mayor. I LIVE and WORK and OWN PROPERTY within the City, I have much at stake regarding the quality of my life. I'm not playing immature games with children who like to think they are important because they pass out brochures at a rally.

That's why I'll continue to ask questions and demand answers. This is life not a game.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know i'm relatively new to the forum and all, but from what I've read i'll just wait on Jams to pick a candidate cause i'll KNOW no stone has been unturned. You have got to be the single most undecided person ever! No inclination towards anyone??? C'mon....

Jams

Post Number: 1848
Posted on Friday, July 08, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOPE!!

Brian

Post Number: 2926
Posted From: 67.37.83.157
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

going into a partnership with people who are respected members of the community is not a crime. For all the talk of Ed McNamara being dirty, nothing has been proven. As far as Tony Soave is concerned, I have not heard of any charges brought against him for any wrongdoing.

I have heard several financial advisors say that you should have other means of income besides a paycheck. Having a share of a business is an appropriate way to bring in other income besides one's paycheck.

Why does Hendrix and his supporters continue to criticize KK for his business ventures? Why does Hendrix supporter Mildred Gaddis claim KK is corrupt if no charges have been brought against the mayor?

Why does hendrix and his people employ double standards?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1665
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do some of McPhail's most vocal supports continue to pull "double duty" supporting Kilpatrick? Kilpatrick's "business ventures" (of steering city business to friends and family while holding public office) are a completely different matter than (now) private citizens getting together and going into business.

Brian

Post Number: 2937
Posted From: 68.73.32.184
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, I have followed up your posts to share some facts. Why does Hendrix always leave out the facts when he is telling stories. You know Hendrix got into Mulligans when he was a "public servant". But look @ how you try to claim differently. You also know how Archer did the same with city contracts as KK. But you only focus on KK and leave out others. That is why folks don't trust Hendrix in Detroit. ITs what the voters are saying. Its what they TOLD him on Tatum Eason's show last week. They say he took over the schools and they don't trust him. This issue is just more of the same.

Of all the candidate supporters, Sharon and Benny's enjoy the truth more than any others. KK flat out lies while Hendrix speaks with a forked tongue.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1669
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, nice try. Hendrix spent his own funds on a private investment that had nothing to do with city business in any manner. Again, that is completely different than a public official steering public funds to a contractor doing business for the city. Your delusions don't change the facts anymore than your made-up accusations.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 814
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro- Bottomline your guy cannot manage even his own business ventures. How do you expect him to manage the city. Even when he left Staffing Solutions they were glad to see him go as he was mis-managing their business to. Cindy Pasky had to step in all the time to fix Freman's mistakes.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" bottom line, you have zero credibility on this forum. Your stories as well as claims about yourself have been proven to be erroneous time and time again.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 823
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The House of Hendrix is looking VERY shakey indeed. I can almost see the fear in your post metro.

Royce

Post Number: 1004
Posted From: 69.212.59.8
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ilovedetroit, your post #814 is ridiculous. Ok, you don't think Hendrix can be a good mayor because his investment in the golf thing has had problems. However, how in the hell would you know that his former place of employment was glad to see him go? Also, how would you know that another co-worker had to step in and fix Hendrix's mistakes? Are you a board member at Staffing Solutions? Are you good friends with Cindy Pasky?

When Metrodetguy talks about you having zero credibility here on this forum, I can truly see why he would think that after reading your post #814. Your credibility with me is not at zero, but it's definitely dropping fast after those unsubstantiated comments in post #814.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce- He is an owner in the business having a UNPAID tax bill of that magnitude is unacceptable. And as far as the Staffing Solutions comment goes...hell yes it is true. He was not loved there. He brought them business when he outsourced city jobs to them AND then he left the city and went there as COO. He brought no staffing experience to the company and was not an asset meaning he never brought them anything new outside of city oursourced jobs. When he left it was mutually satisfactory for both. I have said this in past post Royce...this is not my first time. You only care now because you support Hendrix.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1185
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people sure "know" alot about FH's tenure at SS. Unless they were there, how would they know? And even if they were here, how would they know if any, some, or all of the employees loved or hated the COO, or whether he brought valuable experience (say, as formerly a Mayor's Chief of Staff). Safe to say that it's mostly wrong. Repeating the lies or pretending it isn't bs doesn't make it the truth either.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 837
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bin - Maybe I use to work at SS or have an inside there. Trust me my info is accurate.

AND there is a BIG story coming out on Hendrix VERY soon - that he and most of Detroit will not like. Like Metro once said "our candidate is fully vetted"....your candidate is just as corrupt as KK and so is his family. Looking forward to this one! KK is out for blood and he is going to get it. Stay tuned...the streets are a buzzing.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1186
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to see Sharon keeping her campaign un-muddied and about the issues. Riiiight, like her campaign was ever anything but slander and personal attacks on the integrtity, character, and family members of real candidates. Few mcfailures have been spouting the "Hendrix dirt is coming soon" bs since day one. Kinda like Sharon's "plans" and "strategies" - get a clue: an announcement of a plan to have a plan, sometime, maybe, is not a plan. But the latest polls indicate that Detroiters' favorite reponse to her is and will be "Sharon who?"

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1250
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, ILD. The same goes back to Hendrix's daughter, Erin, working an internship at City Council because "she couldn't find a job in Detroit." That is a bunch of baloney. If I could find an internship in Detroit through the normal route (don't get me wrong, I want to pursue government and law), she could have done the same as well. If her father's reputation is that tarnished, then it tells me he shouldn't be mayor of Detroit.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote...
Nice to see Sharon keeping her campaign un-muddied and about the issues. Riiiight, like her campaign was ever anything but slander and personal attacks on the integrtity, character, and family members of real candidates.

Bindetroit, that's what they do BEST!!! That has been the failure of everyone of her campaigns, Mayor, County Executive and Prosecutor. Sorry, and Mayor (again).

Who's brainwashed???

Man, I am tried. Will jump back in this theard after the August 2nd. Good Luck!!!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 839
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey - See ya! On the third when McPhail and Hendrix are left. You never offer any solutions just snide comments. Well I have one for you ... take your vote and stick it where the sun don't shine!

1honey

Post Number: 399
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And you can kiss where the sun is always shinning. Damn, was that really called for????

Snide never, facts you damn right kid. Please find another playground to play in.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 843
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha Now you know how I feel being picked on all the time. I do apologize Honey that was very ass'ish of me...but sometimes if feels good to be nasty! I promise not to make a habit of it :-)

1honey

Post Number: 402
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, it's on and pop'n Ilovedetroit :-)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 846
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey .... I am sorry what does that post mean? I am not good at Norwegian.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1686
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 3:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Like Metro once said "our candidate is fully vetted"

"Ilovedetroit" please "show" me where I made that comment. I have complete confidence in Hendrix's background, but you have once again made a false claim.

And yet another reason not to vote for McPhail...Absolutely horrible campaign strategy (in addition to the history of erratic behavior, history of negative tactics, and lack of realistic plans). Still linking up with Kilpatrick despite the disasterous effects that 'tactic' has had on your campaign in the last 6 weeks or so.

Ltorivia485, get real. Are you also the daughter of a political rival (who happens to control the city)? When that scenario is the case, then you can talk about "getting a job the same way". Bottom line, a U of M degree and the tutelage of her father, more than qualifies Erin Hendrix for a $13/hr government internship...and Hendrix isn't a relative that got her job from that relative's co-worker.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, if her U of M degree and the "tutelage of her father" overqualifies her for the government internship (I currently attend Northwestern in Evanston/Chicago), why did she work for City Council? It's plainfully obvious she was in the position because of <b>connections</b>, like her father's name. Most likely (this is MY assumption) she didn't apply for government jobs (which are extremely competitive) in her field at the appropropiate times until it was too late. If her education could have placed her elsewhere, why didn't she apply elsewhere? THe "no one will hire her because of her father's name" is baloney.

(Message edited by ltorivia485 on July 13, 2005)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485, it's your word against Hendrix's daughter whether she applied and what happend. I'll go with her word. Your word is based on assumptions, speculation, and political bias. Not a good combination.

Quinn

Post Number: 460
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's common sense against a lame argument metrodetguy. That's how I see that.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Her argument that she couldn't get a job because of her father's name does not hold up, Metro. And you know that.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia, most of your posts (from speeding in GP to this) show that you live in a dream world. You seem to have academic accomplishments but you have a lot to learn about the world around you.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorvia - Don't worry you are in good company if Metro starts calling you a liar you are doing REALLY good. Isn't it amazing that he is in a MAJOR roll for the Hendrix campaign. Then again a lot of Hendrix supporters (usually the ones that drive by McPhail's office and shout bad things - the KK people are usually nice) I have met on his campaign are unusually volatile. OOOOPS a sweeping statement now Metro will get really mad....

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1272
Posted From: 69.215.246.6
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHA, I know, ILD. Thanks for the support. I know that she has more opportunities than any of us on this board, yet the news announce it was her father's reputation that ruined her chances of landing a job? Puh-lease! I have just seen a recent campaign commercial of Hendrix with a little boy. I just had to laugh. He can't even speak (although I don't like Kwame Kilpatrick, he is a better and more natural speaker than Freeman Hendrix.) HAHA

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1693
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see Ltorvia has thrown out the academics and reasoning of an institution such as Northwestern, and joined the spin doctors/dishonesty squad of the McPhail campaign (as well other forms of pushing a particular political/social ideology at the expense of honesty, facts, reasoning, and common sense).

Using your same line of "reasoning"...I'd like to see an Ilitch walk into Hungry Howie's corporate offices and get a job. Or (a few years ago anyway), a Monahan (Domino's) walk into Caesar's corporate and get a job.

What's that saying the "old people" have about "an educated fool"?

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 204.38.171.25
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro- sometimes you make some sense, but I think you need to pick your battles more carefully. No one can win em all, and this one just doesn't hold water. Maybe she wanted an "easy" job, I don't know but i'm sure the city wasn't her only option. Although I don't really care or fault her for it( i might have done the same thing), the story still doesn't add up. She should've come clean and let the chips fall where they may. When you make sht up it snowballs.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3782
Posted From: 141.211.210.28
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But I think the fundamental issue here is who exactly is on the ballot?

Is Freman Hendrix' daughter running for public office?
No.

Is Sharon McPhail's sister running for public office?
No.

Are any of these other extraneous characters people bring up and knock in this SuperThread running for office?
No.

Who the hell cares? Let's talk about the issues at hand in this election, not whose daughter is employed by who or whose sister works for who or whose wife works for who. They're not the ones running for Mayor!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 871
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram - I agree with you. For some reason Bin (Hendrix supporter) on another thread decided to make and issue of Robin McPhail then of course the McPhail people had to jump back since we were being attacked. It is really just stupid. If someone in a candidate's family (close family) does something above the law and un-ethical then I think it is fair game to be discussed. Erin Hendrix working for Sheila Cockrel and Robin working for Joann Watson is not news. And we actually agree for once.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3784
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it's not news, then why are you always at the front lines trying to make these types of story news?

I'm just wondering. I agree with your post, but I'm wondering why you don't hold yourself to that standard for the other 99% of the time.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 68.79.80.165
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Listen up McPhailites,

I HAVE A QUESTION.

How do you all manage to have hope that she will be around August 3rd????? You should believe in your candidate; but I have to tell you, I just don't see it. What is she going to do in the next 18 days?

Her ghost of a platform just doesn't cut it. I have to agree with this recent post comment:

"get a clue: an announcement of a plan to have a plan, sometime, maybe, is not a plan. But the latest polls indicate that Detroiters' favorite reponse to her is and will be "Sharon who?", by
Bindetroit.

Later - naturalsister

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1828
Posted From: 12.75.21.114
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail's tax, crime and college plans sound good, too good to be true. Because to most people they stretch the limits of credibility, she has to be able to back them up with details in order to show that they're viable plans and not typical empty politcal campaign promises.

The fact that she hasn't done this yet with less than three weeks left isn't encouraging. I don't buy the concern that the other candidates will "steal" her ideas. In fact, it would be a great campaign commercial for McPhail if they tried it.

She can't expect voters to just take on faith that crime will go down 50%, taxes will go down 20 mills and everyone goes to college.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 68.79.80.165
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Track75,

That's just what I mean by 'ghost' of a platform.

Later - naturalsister

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 69.216.133.127
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why can't those things be done? They maybe long term plans, but they are helluva plans. And Sharon is very passionate about those plans. Her and Benny have the right ideas. This City needs a miracle....no more pimps. Let's say it together everybody...NO MORE PIMPS...NO MORE PIMPS...

This City cannot afford to be pimped anymore.

And one more thing....Hendrix plan to decrease taxes to attract more people back to the city. How is he going to do this with a deficit like the one we have? Decrease revenue coming in? I would say sounds good....but I don't even think if he took the tax rate from 3% to 2% that people would be rushing to move back to Detroit...NOT! I'll take high hopes and maybes anyday over some weak 1% tax decrease...

Her plans may sound far fetched, however, if they ever went into effect (like the Children's Fund) you can guarantee people would be flocking back to the City.

Brian

Post Number: 2952
Posted From: 67.37.84.30
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Post Number: 1693 MD tries to say that Hendrix daughter tried to get a job working for Kwame Kilpatrick. No one reported that but it won't stop MD from trying to make it become a fact.

Hendrix has no new plans. He is selling the Archer years redux. I am still looking for signs of the $17 Billion that Archer claimed was invested and the $20 Billion that Hendrix claims was invested. I can't see it. Why didn't any of that investment spin off into new revenue? Why didn't any of that help Detroit. For all the bad decisions of KK, even he can't negate $20 Billion in three years.

But Archer/Hendrix are being dishonest about those values. Its all on paper. The real number is far below $1 Billion. If you take away the Casinos and the Stadiums. The number drops even further. Archer fought the statewide casino measure. Then he screwed up the permanent planned locations. If he had let them work it out, Washington Blvd would have been turned into a boardwalk and all those old bldgs that are being or will be demolished like the Statler and the BC would instead be refurbished. All three casinos were to be located there within walking distance to help out that side of the CBD. BUT Hendrix is Catholic and the church threatened to move their HQ out of the city.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1695
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"In Post Number: 1693 MD tries to say that Hendrix daughter tried to get a job working for Kwame Kilpatrick. No one reported that but it won't stop MD from trying to make it become a fact."

Brian, again another false claim on your part. Will you retract this allegation as you did with a claim several months ago about Hendrix's children (only to start using it again a week later).