Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » MAJOR CAMPAIGN STAFFER QUITS - HENDRIX CAMP « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 816
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Field Director quits due to Hendrix's lack of sensitivity with homeless and the poor. Apparently a homeless man was trying to get some ice cream at a social Mr Hendrix was hosting. Hendrix remarks to his brother Rudy that he "does not want to touch that guy"...the campaign field director for the event was so insulted that she quit. She realized (they eventually do)the Freman is not one of the people and that he is very classist! There will be more coming on this story! STAY TUNED!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1851
Posted From: 68.79.100.143
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And YOU know this? How???

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1676
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He/she "was there". You "heard and saw everything". Another "Ilovedetroit" production.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 821
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyone is talking about! The story is all over...my minister told me!

Jams

Post Number: 1852
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did he ever tell you;

THOU SHALT NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS AGAINST THY NEIGHBOR. ?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I'm sure Freeman is nobodys neighbor!!! I wouldn't want him living near me!!... LOL

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 827
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - Who said it is false? It is a BIG discussion spreading around town - mostly in the African American community. Apparently the woman (and I am not putting her name in here) is a well known organizer in the AA community and she is VERY disgusted with his behavior. I doubt if the papers other than the Michigan Citizen will print it - they want Hendrix to be mayor and they are loathe to print anything negative on Hendrix. He could get caught with a dead girl or a live boy in bed and they would not print it. Welcome to Detroit politics where the annointed heir of the suburban controlled media choses to see what you read!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just think...Freman Hendrix promises mature, capable leadership

Jams

Post Number: 1853
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD,
I asked a specific question. You drew an inference from it.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1006
Posted From: 69.212.59.8
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ilovedetroit, which social? What was the date? What is the name of this field director? Who is your minister? What side of town has this been discussed? Why haven't I heard of this from people in my neighbor? Why would the Michigan Citizen be so quick to report it but not the other papers? How about answering these questions, ilovedetroit, if you want me to even begin believing you?

(Message edited by royce on July 10, 2005)

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 69.246.1.255
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be that, even if it DID happen (doubtful) that Hendrix was creeped out by the INDIVIDUAL in question, and not by the person's status as apparently homeless? I have met some homeless (and nonhomeless) people who have made me want to keep my distance. Does that make me "insensitive"?

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1007
Posted From: 68.255.245.255
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jdmdetroit, if you haven't noticed it by now, the McPhail supporters will grasp for anything to bad-mouth Hendrix, especially Brian and ilovedetroit. If they found out that Hendrix was overweight as a kid, they would come on here and say, "How can Hendrix be a leader of the city and he couldn't even lead himself to lose weight? Trust me, the stuff that they complain about regarding Hendrix comes very close to my example. It's pitiful.

Have you noticed that very few people other than myself, Metrodetguy, Merchantgander, Bindetroit, Jams, and yourself respond to the stuff they throw out. It's because they're fed up with the BS. I keep trying to ween myself away from here too, but they keep dragging me back in because the new BS is even worse than the previous BS.

I know I'm done responding to Brian. I'll soon be done with ilovedetroit after she answers my above questions. They are individuals that you can not reason with. Good luck trying.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 830
Posted on Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce - The point is that it probably happened. This is all over town. I was just at a community block club event on one of the ladies who is a community activist was talking about it. I am sure it is true...Mr Hendrix does not exactly show a soft side.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again "Ilovedetroit" you lost it at "I was just at a community...event".

Jams

Post Number: 1854
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The point is that it probably happened

Posted on Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 8:27 am:
by Ilovedetroit

quote:

Why did I stay back? Homelessness is not a pretty thing. It is not a cute kid who is ill, or a puppy at a shelter...it is REALLY sad people who are mentally ill, who are not clean, and who are sick

Double Standard?

"Probably happened" is not a defense about spreading RUMOUR and INNUENDO. Try taking that argument into a court and see how far that will get you.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2547
Posted From: 207.74.110.125
Posted on Monday, July 11, 2005 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem, Freeman will deal with this po'folks issues. Not to be put out from Detroit, but to provide them care. If this issue makes you not to vote for Hendrix, go ahead! Choosing KING KWAME KILLpatrick will cause Detroit's image to be doomed into recievership. Choosing McFAILED will Detroiters to be bullied by the evil witch with her black cat as she leads this city into privatization from the suburbs. So THE GHETTOMAN don't give a hoot about Hendrix's bloopers. I want him to become our citiy's next mayor.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I keep trying to ween myself away from here too, but they keep dragging me back in because the new BS is even worse than the previous BS.

Come on Royce, you can do it. Sometimes its not even worth the typing skills to play into this mess on the Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread.

Come primary you will see a complete spin on some on these forumers.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1244
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny, you have it all wrong. Hendrix will privatize this city. He is a black Republican, or in other words, is willing to sacrifice Detroit to greedy corporate owners who don't care about the citizens of Detroit. It's all about the greenbacks.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, when I hear black Republican on the national scene I think of slimy guys like Armstrong Williams, Alan Keyes, etc... If Hendrix is nothing like these clowns I don't think that tag is entirely fair- when he's talking policy with Keith Butler maybe, but not now.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rose, Kwame didn't wear the earring until he won office. You better be cautious.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 835
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rose - How do you know so much about Hendrix? Have you ever heard him speak have you ever read when the papers? He openly talks about privatizing future city services. He privatized jobs under Archer. HE outsourced 200 parking meter jobs to a private company that his brother was VP of. The jobs were taken from mostly women in this city who were single moms and given to a company that his brother worked for. Have you ever read www.whoisfremanhendrix.com ???

This man is as close to being a black repulican as Keyes. Like I have said before the media (which is mostly controlled by Republican owners) have annointed him their heir. They want one of their own in power.

Don't be fooled by the press...Did you read the NY Time article on Hendrix? See the NY Times thread. Very interesting. ANd look at how the Hendrix supporters tried to blame Nettie Seabrooks (Archers' first DM...Hendrix likes to now talk about her because she did a lot of work and brought GM down town).

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1249
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Preach it, ILD! Hendrix also believes that school principals and assistant principals are management and do not deserve unionization. My own mother and her co-workers were at the meeting when he said his beliefs on Detroit Public Schools. How are principals management? They only supervise one school, and that is their building. They still have to report to higher powers. Hendrix is anti-unionization and pro-privatization!

Rosedaleken

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD- I don't know him personally, so you could be right. I just know I threw out the 2 most ridiculous names I could think of. I did hear him speak as I heard McPhail speak and they both could have told me anything they wanted.

My point is that I really do see a somewhat level playing field here, with McPhail holding a very slim edge on the integrity argument. Cronyism is something I'd suspect of any politician, regardless of party. Sadly, I think it just comes with the territory.

I won't read the website just like I don't listen to Mildred Gaddis' show- They both have an agenda and I already know what it is. The NYT article was pretty bad though- and I don't see a reason why they would choose sides.

It's common knowledge Hendrix worked for Clinton, who is one of the more conservative dems, but that doesn't make him a Republican. Perhaps my threshold is higher for this term- it's nearly as bad as insulting someone's mom.

Reminds me of the "evil witch and black cat" comments...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 838
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear ya Rose...and you have to forgive me a bit. I have been working in the campaign as a volunteer for several months and I see the lies that are told more closely than the casual to semi-casual observer. The only stake I have in this is that I want McPhail to win as I know she is the best candidate. She has the only solid plans to develop Detroit. She is the only candidate who speaks about Repopulation and Retention. She is offering a plan for Detroit's children to get a college education. I was initially supporting Hendrix until I heard McPhail speak and I was blown away by her honesty and integrity. You will find very few people who love the city as much as I do. I want her to win because I know she will make it better not only for me but for those damn suburbanites that always put my hometown down! I just don't see that passion in Hendrix. And I am shocked at all the cronyism that I see (not that I am exposed to it) with him and the McNamara machine that runs this town. I really don't see the NY Times as taking sides - the did not give McPhail a ringing endorsement (they mentioned the chair), and they certainly slammed KK, and they did not portray Hendrix is a strong light.

The entire chair incident is so BLOWN out of proportion that it is laughable.

Rose - Read Hendrix's and McPhails platforms on their sites and think about what each candidate says. Then think about who in your gut will deliver in the end. Who has the passion and the commitment. McPhail has never been accused of corruption...there have been a lot of stupid storys made up about her ie., the chair, that the school board paid for her wedding...but all of it is bunk that a man could get rid of but for a woman it sticks!

Thanks for listening

Danny

Post Number: 2572
Posted From: 141.217.173.162
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485,

Hendrix will NOT privatize the city, McFAILED will. Nobody gives a hoot about Sharon McFAILED. Besides her approval rating is P.U! compared to HOWDY DOODY CLARK and KING KWAME. Voting for Sharon McFAILED is like opening Pandora's Box.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2947
Posted From: 68.73.32.30
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freman Hendrix has publicly advocated for public-private partnerships. Which is another way of saying having private companies perform city services.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 847
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - Do you just chirp like a fucking parrot? Freman has publicly and in the press said he would privatize. Your unfamiliarity with your candidate is soooooooooooooo sad.

Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1257
Posted From: 69.215.246.6
Posted on Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, Detroit Public Schools has already started to privatize some of its departments. It's a huge mess.

Danny

Post Number: 2575
Posted From: 141.217.173.162
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You all can right ahead the vote for your future mayor. If McFAILED and HOWDY DOODY Clark is getting red rewiews from the suburbantopian media. I will laugh at your faces.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 4.229.105.204
Posted on Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The theme to this thread: Well someone must have said it, or they wouldn't be repeating it.... What is the National Enquirer's motto... "we don't bother with the messy task of verification"....

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A political staffer leaving a campaign because of ideological, moral or political differences is certainly not news. There is more turnover on political campaigns than at a local fast food joint. Even if these rumors of insensitive remarks regarding the homeless are valid, they are far less reflective of character than starting childish fights with council members

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 859
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok Peanut your screen name makes me feel a little ill...peanut breath uggggh! I think I had a bad make out session once involving that.

BTW my point of the thread was that that I think it is reflective of a character flaw esp. with his comments in the Michigan Citizen regarding class. Henrix is a classicist and and elitist. I have met him before and that is the impression he gives off to this liberal guy. Also McPhail did not start any fights with city council members.

The East Side Issue:
On the CC table that day was an ordinance that Sharon has put on to have adult entertainment venues limited (in where they could be) McPhail is all for the creation of "Sin City" where they can be policed, taxed and managed. This particular day was to stop TWO naked barbershops from opening near Green Acres (if you don't believe me I can give you a list of people to call including the President of GA)...the chair that day was Ms Everett. The audience included the strip club owners and Baptist ministers. Ms Everett was late (she was coming from her kidney treatments) and the Ms McPhail assumed the chair rule (all in line with the CC rules). When Ms Everett arrived she wanted to ordinance taken off the agenda. Sharon did not want it off - allegedly Ms Everett was supporting the strip club owners (BTW the largest club owner works for KK)...Sharon called for a "straw vote" to keep the vote on the agenda. Everett was very mad at this (plus she was ill from her treatments) and she started to threaten Sharon. This went on for several minutes (all recorded)...after Sharon calling for a straw vote several times, and Ms Everett shaking her fist in Sharon's face and then threatening to "go east side on her" Sharon finally to break the tension said "oooh I am scared"....of course the news played those comments over and over again. And they chose to ignore the FULL story. Of course that is what we get in this city. Censored media. Hardly anyone knew what was going on. So there is the full story. I am sure you don't believe it but oh well....Supporters of other candidates prefer the ABBREVIATED FAKE story as it makes Freman or KK look better.

Rosedaleken

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 204.38.171.25
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut- I hate to speak badly about dead people but I think Kay had it coming on that one.. probably the least credible point against McPhail. Hilarious though...

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 40
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your bad make out session definitely was not with me.........I never get complaints

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 7985
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And this is news why? Mental note, IloveDetroit is all about homeless guys touching him.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1691
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", again you lost it at "I have met...".

Note: The lack of credibility of this story as well as your character. Also, your hypocrisy about being near homeless people (see above).

Also note:

"I have met him before and that is the impression he gives off to this liberal guy."

(Once again) You've previously claimed to be a woman. Still can't keep your stories straight.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 824
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon people! I "heard" such and such is true about Hendrix (or whomever)? I mean, you can't really think that Hendrix hates poor people, do you?

ild, I've had some fairly reasonable discussions with you, but you can't seriously expect people are going to change their votes based on something like this, do you?

And libel is illegal, as well. You've put it in print, you know. My post is not, I repeat not, a threat in any way whatsoever. But, if something's not true and it turns out that it's not true... and you state it as a fact and tarnish someone's character... well, your lawyer could come in handy. Please be careful.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1658
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Spicolli pulled a knife on Mr. Hand!

Llyn

Post Number: 825
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Freman Hendrix has publicly advocated for public-private partnerships. Which is another way of saying having private companies perform city services."

And that's a bad thing? When my street lights stay on and my neighbors actually want to send their kids to the city school system and my taxes go down, you can talk to me all you want about how great city services are now and how my tax dollars are being wisely spent.

Instead I live in a city where in some cases you can't fire people when they don't do their jobs. Can I have my tax money back now, please?

I'm as sick of the entitlement mentality as I am of the narrow-minded right wing agenda. These are substitutes for the real issues.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Llyn - Many of our city services are ALREADY privatized including screwing light bulbs into the city owned lights and cutting grass. Also the parking meter maids are privated (to Hendrix's brother's company)... Are they any better under private companies? Put them under Mayor McPhail and she will have their jobs if they don't perform (the management that is will be held to exacting standards)..now please someone give me a snide retort.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2951
Posted From: 67.37.84.167
Posted on Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Instead I live in a city where in some cases you can't fire people when they don't do their jobs.

You most likely don't live in Detroit because that statement is untrue about this city.

Privatization is always more expensive than in house service delivery. outsourcing is always more expensive than insourcing.

The only exceptions is when you have a short term (like 2 months) project and the training it would take to teach in house folks how to do it would take longer than is feasible.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1819
Posted From: 12.75.18.10
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just read this comment from Ltoriva:

quote:

Hendrix also believes that school principals and assistant principals are management and do not deserve unionization. My own mother and her co-workers were at the meeting when he said his beliefs on Detroit Public Schools. How are principals management? They only supervise one school, and that is their building. They still have to report to higher powers. Hendrix is anti-unionization and pro-privatization!

How are principals management? How the h#$* are they not?? They direct personnel and resources, they're the top level of management for their school, they have a budget for which they're responsible, etc. If the principals in DPS aren't managers then they ought not be earning much more than $50K/year.

What a funny argument. Principals aren't managers. I suppose the Plant Manager at GM's poletown plant isn't management either since he only manages one plant and has to report to higher-ups at GM.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 93
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a principal for over 30 years in the city of Detroit and never had a union. This is not recent. When the teachers went on strike he went to the unemployment line.

Also, if the meter people are privatized how come they drive around in city of Detroit vehicles?

Just wondering...

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2034
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats not true Susanarosa, if your dad was a DPS principal. They have a union:

http://osasdetroit.com/

And they have been around since 1966...

http://osasdetroit.com/OSAS_Hi story.htm

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 94
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmm... shows how much I paid attention... thanks for the info Zulu.

I guess my memory was because the unions didn't strike at the same time, etc.

Llyn

Post Number: 828
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good point ild, there is a lot of corruption in the hiring out practices of the city. I still think it'd be nice to see someone pursue privatization if you could get someone to do it without an agenda of hiring their friends and relatives.

"You most likely don't live in Detroit because that statement is untrue about this city.

Privatization is always more expensive than in house service delivery. outsourcing is always more expensive than insourcing.

The only exceptions is when you have a short term (like 2 months) project and the training it would take to teach in house folks how to do it would take longer than is feasible."

Brian, I don't agree with a single one of those statements. I live in the city. You can't fire people in some sectors of the city work force when they don't perform (this is well documented), and privatization has been shown to be cheaper and more efficient in many cases in lowering costs. (And if nothing else, it forces government employees to compete.)

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what Hendrix does for a living now? He seems to be very uppity and snooty. Is he some big shot with some company?

I am attending my third event this weekend to hear the candidates speak and when asked to come and speak they declined and offered to send a video. This is the third time. Or maybe he is like this because he sees he is ahead in the polls and don't need those votes.

If he won't come out and speak to the normal, everyday people now....what makes you think he will give two shits about the people if elected mayor?

I don't know about you all, but we really don't need cocky in office...haven't you had enough of cocky the last 4 years?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 448
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, Hendrix has been doing town hall meetings for over a year now all over then city, I have seen him a couple times. I don't think he is afraid to speak to normal people.

Rosedaleken

Post Number: 29
Posted From: 204.38.171.25
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do voting Detroit college students in exile count as normal people? Kwame was the only one who didn't make the trip to Ann Arbor. And the crowds were decent for McPhail and Hendrix.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 873
Posted on Friday, July 15, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Llyn - I live in the city...Woodbridge and before that East Eng Village and before that on Clark behind Armandos. I love this city so I am a strong supporter and resident. I work in the purchasing world and knwo a bit about insourcing and outsourcing. Some jobs are good to outsource. High tech jobs for one. You can't always hire and train people to keep them interested long enough in a city job (just one of many examples). For bush cutters and tree trimmers....it is good to hire local city workers for these jobs. It gives the masses work, benefits and investment in the city. If run properly it can be a well controlled environment. In Detroit we have too many managers in many departments (I have heard we are somewhere near about 2000 appointees from legacy administrations that should be looked at) - McPhail is going to be looking at those people. There is this thought that union jobs are bad by a lot of people and while I agree that in the auto industry it is out of control in the city workers areas it is not. Most city workers (union) are not high paid and benefits keep getting cut into plus getting a salary increase is next to impossible these days. When you outsource it is typically done for 2-5 year contracts - so you can make money up front or on the back end depending on the commodity i.e. Staffing Industry (where Hendrix worked) tends to makd money on the front end...the longer a worker works the more expensive they get (more vacations get married have kids)...while with grass cutting it should get cheaper as you have your initial investment (more mowers) paid off in a couple of years yet those companies always come back and ask for more money even though they usually get more money. I could go on and on...but typically certain jobs (lower scale) that are outsourced cost more over time, are harder to manage (because you cut back on the management infrastructure to patrol it), and usually you end up rewarding a new contract over and over again because it takes too much time to negotiate new ones i.e, Torre and Bruglio landscaping - they have been doing city work for years. I bet if someone took the time they could find a better deal but again it takes time. And a properly managed city departmetn with Detroit residents that the city is employing can do better. Keep the money here! Thank Llyn always a pleasure to chat with you.