Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Who am I?? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 69.246.49.148
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wanted to take a lil time to let you know about me. Due to the fact that the only time I get noticed is when something goes wrong.

I am the one who has to HEAR how dirty the parks are and how wrecked the swings are. Yet I continue to clean up after you. I also take the time out to repair the broken swings and paint over your grafitti that marks the equipment.

I work absurb hours just to insure that your home, your car and your neighborhood is safe from fire and theft. Due to the fact that there are cuts in my budget, I fear that I may not be able to protect you as best I could.

I am up day and night treating and distributing your water so that when you wake in the morning, it is there when you turn it on. I am also the one you shoot at when I am ordered to shut your water off because you owe in excess of $1000.

I also work in Public Lighting, in a plant trying to keep the streetlamps on and the public schools lit. I also work in a Department that they(Freeman,Hansen, and Kwame) feel is not needed.

I am a nurse who works in a very understaffed environment who treats many of you for all types of STDs and communicable diseases, yeah I could just quit and go to a hospital, but my dedication is far more important.

I am the Sanitation worker who has to take your trash. Even though you fill the dumpster over the top I still take it and then you get mad at me because when a piece of paper falls off the side. tsk tsk tsk

We are all one and we are faced with this election in fear that some of us may not be around much longer. Despite all of the negative publicity that we get and all the threats of contracting out our services to suburban contractors, we still come to work overburdened with what will happen next in this Great city that we love.

Freeman said, "If it were up to me, there wouldn't be any city workers!"
Remember in the last election that KK sought after the endorsements of the city workers, he managed to get som DDOT workers to jump on and when he was elected, he layed them off.

Needless to say, I don't have to say who my candidate of choice is. But I am telling the story from my perspective. Whether you believe it or not, city workers are very important to this city and are often overlooked due to the negative impact the media displays regarding us.
The future of our city is definitely in the hands of our next Mayor. I hope the voters realize this and think about their choice before they reach the ballot box.

Just my say

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 464
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who Am I?

My guess would be another forumer who is going to be crying after the Aug. 2nd primary.

Out sourcing atcha!

Broken_main

Post Number: 74
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I couldn't help but laugh at this myself, but on a serious note. Big Business and Big Money is trying to win this election. Its all politics and in this city you just have to learn to live with the decision of the People. I still believe in the grass roots effort lead by Sharon and Benny. I will continue to support my candidate until the end.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great message Broken_main...there are alot of us who feel the same way and will make our voices known on August 2.

Broken_main

Post Number: 79
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why Thank you Quinn, It is very good to see positive support in what will be a positive community when Sharon gets elected. I am on my way out to get some literature to pass out today!!

Plus today, Sharon will be talking to city workers about her campaign and what it means for city workers. At least she talks to us. At least she won't send a video tape :-)

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1194
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When she talked about the City's Law Dept., it was all about outsourcing. When she talked about the Planning and Development Department, it was all about eliminating over 1/3 of the positions. When she talked about "core City services," it was all about $1,000,000 to the Airport which didn't ask for, need, or want the money, and about another $500,000 to a museum that few go to and fewer need (when compared to garbage pick-up, street cleaning and repair, or public safety). When she talked about her own budget in lieu of the Mayor's, it was all about layoffs and givebacks and concessions and days without pay(DOWOPs). When she talked to the Detroit News, it was all about firing 6,000 City workers within 6 months of taking over. Yeah, she's some friend to the City workers alright.

Broken_main

Post Number: 80
Posted on Tuesday, July 19, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everybody has their own views, but few have actually sat down with her and discussed these matters with her. I have and I still beleive her over the other 3 candidates have said. Hansen wants to get rid of Public Lighting. Freeman wants to get rid of city workers altogether. And Kwame...his actions speak way louder than my words can ever say.

Bindetroit...Get me a link to the Detroit News. I would love to read it. I will be seeing Sharon today and I would be more than happy to get some clarification of what was said in the Detroit News. By the way is the Detroit News supporting Sharon? If not, who? And who are you supporting?

I am always open to listening to others views..