Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Metro Times Endorses Hendrix « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroit_luveur
Username: Detroit_luveur

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 24.27.70.246
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Detroit needs and what Detroit can get
by Metro Times editorial staff
7/20/2005

On the eve of the most important primary election in contemporary Detroit history, the desire is to have a candidate who meets every one of the city’s needs, who puts a capable and proud face on Detroit as the city finds its place in the new global economy, and who has the drive and innovative thinking to succeed there and at home.

We wish for a man or woman who can pull the city out of its most serious financial quagmire ever, not through accounting prestidigitation and debt pass-alongs that are to be reconciled tomorrow and tomorrow, when tomorrow is here and now.

We are among those growing numbers who recognize regionalism as the only hope for a thriving southeast Michigan and desire a leader who can go to our suburban neighbors, not with hat in hand, but as a strong, cooperative partner. That person must be willing to drop the hateful baggage of old grievances and come out of the racial bunker looking forward. It would be foolish to say that racism no longer exists in metro Detroit. But to confront that honestly while laden with the immense weight of past hatreds is impossible and self-defeating. Don’t forget, don’t even forgive, but look at today, put it on the table, do the hard work to deal with it and look forward.

In Full: http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7983

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 891
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not exactly a ringing endorsement. Which goes along with the FREEP and News...no one seems overly excited with Hendrix. Here is a direct quote from Metro Times.

"....challenger and former deputy to Mayor Dennis Archer, Freman Hendrix, our choice in the Aug. 2 primary election — an endorsement we make with certain reservations.

First, it goes against our grain to endorse a candidate already commended to voters by the mainstream press in Detroit.

More importantly, we’re concerned about his personal and professional involvement with the now-decaying McNamara machine in Wayne County. Not only did he serve in former Wayne County Exec Ed McNamara’s administration — which has long been under intense federal scrutiny in a corruption investigation that’s already produced one criminal conviction — he has been an investor in business ventures with McNamara and two of his top appointees."

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 188
Posted From: 68.249.8.55
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not being excited about Hendrix but still endorsing him says alot about how excited they are about McPhail and Kilpatrick. I agree with Rustic on a similar thread...maybe the papers should endorse the two strongest candidates and tell us of the four, who are the two they definitely don't prefer.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 68.252.69.237
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But do not forget the paragraph afterward:

"But on that note, we must point out that an 11th-hour attempt was made to doctor up one of those business transactions to look like an enormous bribe paid Hendrix for some unspecified reason during the Archer administration. We were presented with public documents that purported to show exactly that. But many pages were missing from the documents, and when we looked for and located them, they not only didn’t prove corruption, but showed that the business deal was precisely as described by Hendrix to us when we confronted him with the initial “evidence” — an above-board investment."

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 897
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digital....like you just said the paragraphs AFTERWARDS...not a ringing endorsement by any means. There is still the connections there with McNamara.

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 1106
Posted From: 12.75.31.102
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"First, it goes against our grain to endorse a candidate already commended to voters by the mainstream press in Detroit." WTF???

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 485
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to imagine they are scratching their own heads at their final publication.

This really is the lamest editorial I've ever read. No real opinion, and a way to get out of every eventuality. Are they trying to win a bet?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 905
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I finally had a chance to read the entire article. The entire thing just pisses me off. Ok I am a McPhail supporter and I would have preferred to seen her endorsed by them. BUT they endorse with "reservations" Hendrix...why endorse at all? The only thing the focused on negative about McPhail was the Sambo Awards...as I have said before Sambo is between Black People...but white people keep sticking their nose into. Let the black community deal with it in their own way ...if they choose to!

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1718
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny "Ilovedetroit" you've previously claimed to be Black as well as White/Black/Native American, yet you refer Black people as "they". Still can't keep your stories straight.

(I'm Black and I don't refer to Black people as "they" and I don't know any other Black people that do that either.)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - I find it very had to believe that you are African American...you seem to have ZERO knowledge of the AA community or you are just so boojey that you have forgotten your roots. Anyway I am multi-racial and do not consider myself singularly as black.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1722
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" a person with your level of dishonesty is not wanted in the Black community. Funny that you're apparently multi-racial, multi-gendered, support mulitiple candidates running for the same single office, and tell multiple stories that don't add up.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1345
Posted From: 69.215.246.6
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ boojey. HAHAHA

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", speaking of "ZERO knowledge of the AA community or you are just so boojey that you have forgotten your roots", claims of being "White...then Black...then White/Black/Native American...then multi-racial and do not consider myself singularly Black", "a creative class type", and homosexuality, aren't exactly identified with the mainstream Black community.

(Note: that is not a knock on homosexuality, however, it is well known that the majority of the Black population is even less open to homosexuality compared to other segments of the general population)

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.212.62.24
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, metrodet, but that is a knock on homosexuality. It was once commonly accepted among "mainstream" caucasians that African Americans should be slaves. That didn't make the mainstream correct, did it? So, why don't you try to help your "mainstream Black community" get over its irrational fear of gay people. We are all one race: Human.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy, would you rather have me lie to you and tell you that most Black people are generally accepting of homosexuality? You completely missed the point. A person ("Ilovedetroit") questioning the fact that I am Black, while his/her own claims about him/herself are far from traditional ("roots") in the Black community, was laughable at best.

Also note that your example of comparing slavery to homosexuality would be considered offensive to many Black people. Comparisons such as that are completely unnecessary and actually do a great disservice to your issue. Each cause has more than enough merit to stand on its own. Likewise with comparisons to the Holocaust, segregation, etc.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 934
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - You are so sad. I don't believe you are African American...you don't talk with passion or caring for black people. If you are black then you have so forgotten your true heritage that you are a lost soul.

I am proud to be: a gay man who happens to be multi-racial. A man who is of mixed race parentage - african american, native american and white. I know who I am and I like who I am.

You are trying to make a HUGE deal out of the time I made a joke and said I was a blond white woman (after someone assumed I was a female). Your attemtps to discredit me are always the same - you try to divert from your own flaws. Funny that is what Hendrix does. HE NEVER answers KK's charges in his commercials, or McPhails attacks on the school board he just diverts and runs. Says he is being picked on...you do the same thing. Maybe you are black on the outside but on the inside you are hollow old rag who has forgotten who you are and where you come from.

Bostedguy

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.212.62.24
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro, I definitely got the point you were trying to make. I know I am way off the original topic thread (pardon my newbie status.) However, I don't understand why Black people would feel offended by the comparison, just as they probably don't understand why I do see a perfectly logical parallel. Discrimination is discrimination. Hate is hate. The comparison is valid. You are correct in that both issues can stand alone on their own merit. But you have to admit there are similarities.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1736
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy, I would say that at least part of the offense taken in comparisons (this could apply to all issues, not just this one) is that an outside group is (at least perceived as) telling the group that it is comparing itself to, what to think.

"Ilovedetroit", again you trying to speak about "true heritage" and "a lost soul" is a complete joke given your character issues. Funny that you always have some type of excuse for contradictions, false accusations, name-calling, and "jokes" that have been exposed time and time again as erroneous.

Again, I believe your original claim that you are a blonde, White woman with a boyfriend. And again, your constantly changing stories speak volumes about your lack of character and credibility.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 955
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - I have never seen anyone take a joke and run with it. Why do you try to discredit me with a joke? I have opened myself to the forum and stated exactly who I am...more than most people on here. It is you that constantly lies yet blames all others for lying. I think you are so lost in your fantasy world that you don't even know who you are. I general feel sorry for people like you - but you have laid down with dogs so I should expect that you will have fleas.

Bostedguy

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 69.212.60.230
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy, I see your point. However, one reason to have discussions like this is to try to enlighten others. Drawing comparisons to another's life is one way to do so.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy, of course there are similarities, however, another problem a lot of people have with comparisons are that those making the comparison seem to focus on the (smaller number of) similarites while conveniently ignoring the (many more) differences.

Also, when the comparisons are one-sided (the cause that is being compared to another doesn't likewise make a comparison), that is an indicator that the comparison is viewed favorably.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2996
Posted From: 67.37.83.33
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this what Hendrix folks are selling? Hate? Intolerance?

quote:

(Note: that is not a knock on homosexuality, however, it is well known that the majority of the Black population is even less open to homosexuality compared to other segments of the general population)

Obviously MD has never read the book, On the Down Low. Usuaully those in denial have their reasons.

But factually, no poll has ever been done on the Black community's feeling towards sexuality. Would then MD's conclusions mirror the polling conducted by Hendrix?