Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » If Kwame is reelected... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Can we expect to hear a giant "sucking sound" from the investment money and middle-classs residents leaving the city?

I think we can. I am beginning to agree with Mildred Gaddis... ABK - anyone but Kwame.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 896
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildred Gaddis is Hendrix's PAID PR person...no fan of KKs here...but she uses her show to sell Hendrix and or fear against KK and a little less fear towards towards McPhail. Hendrix has allegedly promised her a senior position in his administratin if elected.

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have proof that Gaddis is paid by Hendrix? Greg Bowens (her sometimes sidekick) is paid by Hendrix and that is no secret. But I don't think Gaddis is. Otherwise, I do not think Gaddis would say the good things about Sharon McPhail that I have heard her say.

The problem with Kwame is that he has lost credibility. If he wins, he'll have to work hard to rebuild his national and regional reputation in order to be a useful servant to the city. That means is that he'd have to remake himself as "Mr. Ethics" and "Mr. Transparency" or face the prospect of a state takeover.

It could be done. But my guess is that a lot of investors and residents will not want to stick around to see if he could pull it off.

(Message edited by jdmdetroit on July 20, 2005)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 898
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well every campaign event that is held debate or forum she is there. Advising him. At one event she was there (WDIV 4) and standing next to him and his family like an advisor. I have always just heard she is a paid PR person for his campaign. Do I have proof - no! But everyone basically talks about it. I did not think it was a secret. I quit listening to her show - it was too much Pro Freman. Whenever a McPhail or KK supporter calls in she usually cuts them off. However, I do like Karen Dumas's show. She is a KK supporter but she does give fair airtime to all supporters without cutting them off - even Hendrix supporters.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3799
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But everyone basically talks about it."

So that automatically makes it true... Whatever happened to concrete proof? "everyone" talking about something doesn't necessarily mean it's factual, reputable information.

If that's the standard by which you post your rumors and innuendo about Hendrix, then I'm not surprised it's as out there as it is.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she's working for free she's cheating herself.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 68.255.237.111
Posted on Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread started with Jdmdetroit asking if the Big Diamond's re-election would trigger a "giant sucking sound" of money and middle-class residents.

I would have to say no.

This is Detroit.

We've survived 4 military occupations and riots during the 20th century alone.

We've been hit by a couple of tornados and burned to the ground twice.

Still, we've survived it all.

This is Detroit.

We can even survive 4 more years of the Big Diamond.

Yes, we'll be much better off with Hendrix, McPhail or Clarke. (Okay - we'd be better off with Mayor McCheese.)

Still, we're strong enough to survive KK without a giant sucking sound.

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 69.246.1.255
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek...

I never meant to imply that Detroit "would not survive" four more years of Kwame. Of course it would.

My only worry is that it could be set back by additional middle-class flight and lost opportunities if Kilpatrick returns for another term.

I have to say that my favorite City Council candidate (Sarah Snow) is far LESS worried than me. She thinks that, if the right council is elected, it will be able to make some real progress (especially on the issue of ethics policies for the city) no matter who is mayor.

Sarah has a point. The real problem might be the message that is sent if, after November, the leadership of the city is largely unchanged at the Council level AND in the mayor's office. If we return Kwame to office but also elect, say, 5 new council members, we still could see some real change and a real surge in confidence.

(Message edited by jdmdetroit on July 21, 2005)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 899
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JDM - We agree I am voting for Sarah Snow. I actually met her at a McPhail event in Indian Village last weekend and I found her to be incredibly sharp. After McPhail spoke she was introduced to the crowd and said a few words. She was very well liked and I believe that the 70+ people there were likewise impressed. She has my vote! She is also a neighbor of a friend of mine and he said she is very well regarded in her neighborhood. I wish her well!

PS - With regards to ethics McPhail wrote and passed the new ethics ordinance that had been on the CC table for years - it was much neeeded.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 900
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram - If she is not paid (and I will concede that she may not be) she is still a close advisor and PLENTY of people have seen her at forums advising him. She only makes it a secret on the radio.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2672
Posted From: 141.217.173.150
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If KING KWAME is re-elected mayor. This city is doomed into receivership and privization.

Starting with OCP Compuware.

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 87
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD:

Sarah is remaining officially neutral on the mayoral race. But she was glad to be invited to the McPhail event and enjoyed it very much.

Should she get elected, Sarah wants to have good relations with whomever is mayor. Plus, she knows that most people are supporting their candidate for what they believe are good reasons. One of Sarah's strengths is her ability to bring people together and work with what she has in front of her. She concentrates on that, rather than what is lacking or what she might wish she had.

I think that, whoever is mayor, people will really be glad of it if Sarah is elected to the council. She is a big, big supporter of raising the bar re: ethical standards and transparency in city government. And she is a straight shooter.

(Message edited by jdmdetroit on July 21, 2005)

Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 88
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny...

The original Robocop is one of my favorite movies. The sequels sucked. But the original is a classic.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 528
Posted From: 141.215.3.117
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a fan of the original RoboCop as well. :-)

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 69.216.105.196
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay...just in case Kwame is re-elected I need some information. What happens when a city goes into receivership? How does that affect the citizens?

Beware_of_doug
Username: Beware_of_doug

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 64.184.134.143
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Kwame is reelected perhaps the U.P. will once again try to become its own state to get away from this mess. Remember "Superior: the 51st State?"

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3869
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And we can only hope that Detroiters can spell his name right, too.

There's only one L in Kilpatrick.
And only one E in Freman.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 69.213.204.97
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Okay...just in case Kwame is re-elected I need some information. What happens when a city goes into receivership? How does that affect the citizens?

Hamtrack_Steve posted a lot about this awhile back. You should be able to find his complete remarks though some searching. (Or maybe he'll repost them.)

The gist of it, though, is that a lot depends on who the financial manager is that gets appointed. Receivership has worked reasonably well in Hamtramck, but has been a disaster in Highland Park.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 778
Posted From: 69.213.204.97
Posted on Sunday, August 07, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - I'll now take another crack at answering Jdmdetroit's question.

If the Big Diamond is re-elected (God forbid), I'll almost certainly move out of my neighborhood and I suspect that many of my neighbors will, too. We've basically reached the point where our only remaining options are desert the city or resort to vigilantyism.

I will almost certainly move downtown (basically, the only part of the City that Kilpatrick cares about) or into midtown where police service is provided, at least in part, by Wayne State's police department.

As for my neighbors, I think most of them will move downriver or into western Wayne County.

*sigh*

No wonder the majority of Kilpatrick fundraising dollars come from the suburbs. He's sending folks streaming into the 'burbs and boosting their property values.