Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Out of context or just not very smooth? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 68.251.198.143
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you make of this:

"But (Freman Hendrix) also likes to mention his three years in the private sector, working as the chief operating officer of Strategic Staffing Solutions, a Detroit information-technology provider, pulling down $450,000 a year, something he said gave him valuable business experience.

'I was really shocked at how much money I was making. I go into the private sector, and I work half as hard and make three times as much money. And I'm playing golf four times a week, and that's work,' he said. 'It was a very liberating feeling. It allowed me to do things for my family, friends and charity.'"
http://www.freep.com/news/poli tics/hendrix21e_20050721.htm

It sounds like Hendrix may have been making a point OTHER than how disciplined the private sector made him. In fact, I'd say he was making precisely the opposite point. 1) Did he KNOW what point he was making? 2) Did the reporter fairly represent it? And if not, why can't Hendrix get a break from the daily papers? :-)

Obviously this kind of public sector-private sector dealing smacks of taint.

Still undecided ...

I might write in Edi Rama
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E di_Rama

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 482
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read all of these quotes when they were printed and thought, well at least he's being honest!

It does smack of taint. It's admirable that he has a BS in Business Management ( from his website: "A veteran of the U.S. Navy, Freman Hendrix earned a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration from Eastern Michigan University."), but would anyone without his connections be making $450k per year? Who knows. I bet this pisses off Cindy Paski. All that golfing makes it sound like he wasn't working hard for the money.

To me it looks bad, but I guess I'm in the minority.

I had a big problem when Engler went to work for EDS when he left office. I read it in a "matter-of-fact" story in the Detroit News. Like, oh and by the way. I thought that was news that was worthy of an investigation. Again, I guess I was in the minority.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 64.79.86.206
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the comment about golf set the direction of his thoughts here. I think that in the last few years, golf has taken over the time of many executives. There's a charity or civic golf outing several times a week and the pressure is on to attend. The word is that these outings are where business and deals get done. But the government sector doesn't have budgets for this. When he went to the private sector he had to join the parade to golf, noticed that golfing is considered work. I think he's being ironic here. How could this be interpreted as "smacking of taint"?

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1869
Posted From: 12.75.18.68
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think he was surprised that you could get paid big bucks while golfing with clients . It doesn't sound like hard work but the pressure definately there to get the business and keep it. It's not like you're hanging out with friends, even if you have to make the client (who may be a total jerk) feel like a friend. Sales execs get to do some fun stuff with clients but if they don't generate enough business that exec is gone.

This quote caught my eye since it seems contrary to what some have been saying up in here:

quote:

Hendrix didn't promise that he wouldn't lay off employees, but he did tell the workers that he would never turn any city job over to a private contractor.

I Hendrix was supposed to be "The Privatizer".

Putnam

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 68.79.120.109
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How could this be interpreted as 'smacking of taint'?"

Not so much the golf as the 450 Gs. What does his employer get for that kind of money? Not hard work he says. Access to city hall? Why don't Detroit's mandarins, and Lansing's for that matter, fork over some of that cash to the treasury - say, half of everything over the old public wage? It seems like there's equity there that the public sector created.

Besides, his example might encourage others to get into politics for the sole purpose of getting rich later.

The golf power ritual seems kind of medieval to me, but then, I do deals over glasses of wine. I'm clueless about golf.

I might still vote for Hendrix by the way.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 906
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just don't get how he talks about no corruption in the McNamara Administration but then says with the city he was teased cuz he was working too hard. Every time he is interviewed he keeps saying he "made lots of money"...why does he keep saying that? AND if he made so much damn money why did he campaign contributions to lease a cadillac? Why didn't he just use his car or buy one with ALL the money he made? I still think there is some good connections with the web site on him and corruption.

www.whoisfremanhendrix.com

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1713
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" why does every mention in the media about McPhail's car (as well as people spotting her at campaign events) only show her driving a city vehicle? With her past dual income, as well as that of her husband, why does she need a taxpayer vehicle for campaign events?

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2974
Posted From: 67.37.83.173
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MD, where has any media shown any of the candidates driving to any campaign event? I don't think any media outlet has mentioned it nor shown it. But it won't stop you or other FH supporters from trying to make people believe it happened.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, check the "day in the life of a candidate" series that was running in the Free Press this week (as well as other candidate profile articles) under "what they drive". But something printed in the media won't stop you and other diehards from spinning or denying facts.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 69.246.49.148
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think its because she IS still a city official and is given the priveledge to have a city owned vehicle. I see nothing wrong with it IMHO.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1197
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Besides, his example might encourage others to get into politics for the sole purpose of getting rich later."

Nobody's ever thought of that before?

C'mon. Get real.

Brian

Post Number: 2978
Posted From: 67.37.84.62
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BD, what's up with Hendrix lying about HUD?

Putnam

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.79.94.28
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Nobody's ever thought of that before?

C'mon. Get real."

So how does one insert a "sarcasm" emoticon?

When the get-elected-to-get-rich system is so blatant and flaunted shouldn't it be confronted? It's corrupt. It should be discouraged.

Or not? Where do you stand on politicians taking lucrative private jobs as soon as they leave office? I'm sure this isn't a partisan issue.

Brian

Post Number: 2986
Posted From: 68.73.32.72
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Archer and Hendrix went to work with City contractors who donated to the Archer campaigns. They didn't even wait a term after they left office. Hendrix received a million dollar loan while he was the deputy but he didn't have a few years of savings to wait before he went to work for SSS? Engler also went to work for a state contractor. Blanchard became an ambassador. Coleman retired. Since Hendrix accuses Nettie Seabrooks of lying to the HUD secretary will he also lay other blame on her or other Archer appointee's?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1895
Posted From: 68.250.8.148
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 5:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So just as conjecture, McPhail doesn't make it past the Primary or even the General election.

If so, will she be taking a middle-class income at a regular job, despite her Law degree and contacts with the business community developed over her years in politics?

Why do I find this scenerio improbable?

HE WHO CASTS THE FIRST STONE..........

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 926
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams - I wish you would cast a stone on your head!

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3829
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, Coleman was, what, 70 when he retired? With emphysema and other health problems? Hendrix and Archer were both around 50 when they left office, yes? Would you really expect them to go sit on their ass and "retire" instead of going out and finding a job? In the case of Archer, I don't think he did too badly in being president of the National Bar. Coleman retired because he was on death's door, not because he was too virtuous to accept a job offer.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1348
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, Hendrix was hardly 50 when he left office. He was still in his 40s.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3833
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, thanks. Thought he was a little older. I wasn't going for exact age so much as an example of how much younger Hendrix was compared to Brian's cited Coleman Young, and how that difference in age would constitute a difference in seeking employment.

Putnam

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 66.72.148.56
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one that thinks the candidate I vote for should demonstrate some leadership on a pretty easy, cut-and-dry issue?

It's not good enough to say "they all do it." The next Detroit mayor must not be in the habit of making excuses.

I'm still undecided by the way.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I surely hope that you aren't waiting on any of these forumers to tell you who to vote for. Do some research on all of the candiates and make up your own mind.

Putnam

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 68.251.226.186
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Well, I surely hope that you aren't waiting on any of these forumers to tell you who to vote for."

I'm deliberating. You are welcome to tell me who to vote for if you'd like.

1honey

Post Number: 460
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH, NO!!!

Is this the first time you voted in an election?

1honey

Post Number: 461
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.kilpatrick2005.com
www.sharonandbenny.com
www.fremanhendrix.com

Can't find Sen. Clarke's web site

Putnam

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No.

Is there something wrong with discussing the merits of the candidates on this forum? Are you troubled that I haven't decided yet?

I've been directed to good information about various candidates on this site. Naturally, there's some bogus spin that takes place here too. In the end I think both truth and fiction becomes clear.

Putnam

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clarkeformayor.com/ clarke.php

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1360
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putnam, vote for who you truly feel will make a difference for this city. Sharon McPhail and Hansen Clarke have the credentials and show the most passion for this city despite their low numbers on the newspapers' polls. Kwame Kilpatrick and Freman Hendrix have federal investigations up their sleeves and massive corporate support. It's your choice.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1897
Posted From: 68.250.8.148
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,
Just a question, don't take it personal.

1honey

Post Number: 462
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answers to your question is NO to both.

Is there something wrong with discussing the merits of the candidates on this forum? Are you troubled that I haven't decided yet?

1honey

Post Number: 463
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Putnam, thanks for the web site to HC.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1727
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No Aram, you were correct the first time and Ltorivia was wrong. Hendrix is 54, making him 50 when he left office in 2001.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 935
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well again a PAID campaign staffer would know that. Is your name Grundy Metro? He is the only person who is a Hendrix supporter who is as obnoxious as you are.

1honey

Post Number: 470
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUOTE: Kwame Kilpatrick and Freman Hendrix have federal investigations up their sleeves.

Did I miss something, or do you have these two mixed up with Lonnie Bates investigation?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 945
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honey _ Quit threatening to come back on August 3rd and just admit you like the abuse on here :-)

1honey

Post Number: 471
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please, I told you to find someone else to play with. Didn't I??? :-)

Sometimes, you guys just goooooooo to far with this campaign stuff, MAN!!!

ILD, really, I can't wait till August 3rd. I just want to see what the conversation will be then?

(Message edited by 1honey on July 26, 2005)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1737
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again "Ilovedetroit" are you claiming to be a modest McPhail campaign "volunteer handing out flyers" or a (PAID) staff member "working on her website" and "working with her at the Mackinac Conference"?

Who are you today?

Man...woman...Black...White... mixed race/not indentifying with one race...heterosexual...homosexu al...McPhail supporter...Kilpatrick supporter...former Hendrix supporter...never supported Hendrix...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 954
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - What are you today? Idiot? White man? African American Man? Or just plain ole dumb blathering Metro?