Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Top cops pushed to pitch in for mayor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/kilp21e_20050721.htm

July 21, 2005
BY BEN SCHMITT
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit police commanders were called to a mandatory meeting this week at which two deputy chiefs asked them to purchase $300 tickets for a re-election fund-raiser for Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, union officials said Wednesday, calling the request out of line and coercive.

Arriving at the meeting Monday evening at the Northwest Activities Center, commanders from each of Detroit's 13 police precincts also were asked to sell one ticket each to their subordinate police inspectors, said Inspector Laura Isom, president of the Detroit Police Command Officers Association.

"They were all put in an awkward situation, and they shouldn't have to feel that way," Isom said. "If you're my boss and you order me to a meeting like this, that's coercion to me."

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HA! Well I know this is how it works in big companies too. That's how alot of fundraising is done.

If the police union is backing hendrix, shouldn't they be buying tickets to a hendrix fundraiser?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1321
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money talks.

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 68.251.198.143
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm an anybody but KK voter but ...

couldn't they find one other person to support Isom's charge?

What's the journalistic standard here?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 498
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The chief of police agreed there was a meeting and they were asked, the only thing in question is whether they were forced to buy tickets. My question to you Putnam is if you did feel pressured would you come out knowing layoff are coming. Who do you think would be the first to go?

Putnam
Username: Putnam

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 68.79.120.109
Posted on Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"My question to you Putnam is if you did feel pressured would you come out knowing layoff are coming. Who do you think would be the first to go?"

I would guard the independence and integrity of my profession at all costs. If there is a political loyalty test and only one police person calls it we're in deeper trouble than I thought.

Could it possibly be that the complaint is as motivated by politics as the alleged offense?

This is the question I would like to have seen raised by the reporter. As it stands, this omission makes it look like a hit-piece on the Mayor (who I will NOT vote for again by the way) rather than hard-nosed, impartial journalism.