Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Hendrix Promises DPOA Not To Rescind Officers Living in the City « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 908
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit city police officers who actually live in the city (about 1/4 of them) are in an uproar as news finally leaks out why the DPOA endorsed Hendrix. Most officers were startled as they have always been strongly supported by McPhail and Napoleon (who have law enforcement backgrounds) when the DPOA endorsed Hendrix. The reason why? Hendrix promised not to fight to rescind the Engler approved (and Archer/Hendrix did nothing to fight this) Law that stated that city police officers and firmen (and others) do not have to live in the city. I believe the law states that they have to live within 20 miles of the city. As most of us know there was a mass exodus of officers running from the city - thus lowering house values in some middle class neighborhoods. McPhail Napaoleon have always said that when elected they will fight that ruling so FUTURE officers have to live in the city. Especially in the times like this with terrorist attacks etc. we want our police living in the communities they serve versus living 20 miles away. The DPOA Board ALL of them suburbanites did not like this. HENDRIX PROMISED to keep the Engler law in affect.

Another example of how Hendrix is selling his soul to the suburbs.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Over 50% live in the city.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If true maybe this is a concrete sign his ego is getting out of control. Does he (Hendrix) have the authority to change the law anyway? Or would this be something Gov. G needs to scrap? I could promise not to add an amendment to the constitution and keep that promise.. who cares. I completely agree that cops should live in the city though, and he should be questioned on this.

(Message edited by rosedaleken on July 22, 2005)

Merchantgander

Post Number: 505
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rosedaleken, I wouldn't believe much of what ILD says, she has plenty of stories.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 909
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchant...I am a he not a she.

Rose - And the story is true - I doubt if the DPOA will come out and say it - as they would be persecuted by Detroiters who want cops in our neighborhoods! The Board is made up of 8 or 9 members - the majority voted for Hendrix. However, the other members were so mad that it is leaking out amongst the police officers. Hendrix CANNOT change the law. However, as mayor he can sue the state to have the law rescinded. He will not do that as he was DM under Archer when the law went into effect. Archer did nothing to fight Engler on this and basically supported it (Archer is not known for having balls). McPhail Napoleon have always said officers should live in the communities they serve and protect.

I hope I have answered your question.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2972
Posted From: 67.37.83.4
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AS Mayor, they can negotiate to include in the contract a clause for residency requirements. Archer refused to negotiate with the union and forced them to go to arbitration where they still are today. But he also refused to put residency on the table for consideration. Archer was not a hard nosed negotiator. Instead he used the tactics of outsourcing to bust unions. DPOA is next, they just haven't seen the plans. Archer wanted to engage the county sherriffs to patrol city streets. He also was in favor of more state troopers in the city to allow for the city to reduce its numbers of officers. But those ideas never took hold as Archer was told it would hurt him politically.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 915
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian - Thanks for the addendum.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 934
Posted From: 4.229.72.221
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you guys keep talking about Archer... is it because you guys read (and believe) all that crap in the Michigan Citizen? P.T. Barnum was right... there's a fool born every minute.....

(Still laughing over that article that was quoted in the Michigan Citizen about suburban white folks wanting black Detroiters to move into the suburbs.... the most absurd thing I've ever read!!!!!)

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1331
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you cite this article, Gistok? I have never heard of it.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1712
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, July 22, 2005 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Merchant...I am a he not a she."

Again, "Ilovedetroit" has previously claimed to be a woman with a boyfriend. Also, this person has claimed to be White...then Black...then Black and White...then Black, White, and Native American.

Also please "back up" your claim that only 25% of the DPD lives in the city.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 925
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - Don't be ridiculous...someone else assumed that I was a woman and I am not ( I played along with the joke)and I did have a boyfried (now you do the math on that one).

The Deroit News or FREEP just ran a story about officers and in the article they mentioned about a quarter (it was 700 or so) live in the city. They also in the article mentioned firemen and they did not have an accurate number on that. If you want the article look it up. However, my police officer neighbor stated that that figure sounded about right (1/4 in the city). Since you are so close to Hendrix and are not bitching about the DPOA endorsement it must be true. YEP Hendrix sold the people of Detroit's safety away. Typical......like I have said before he will give everything away if he was mayor.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, "Ilovedetroit" it is up to you to back up your claim that only 25% of DPD live in the city. Given your complete lack of credibility, don't expect anyone to just believe what you say.

By the way, you "do the math" on your constantly contradicting claims about yourself as well as issues, Hendrix, or any other topic for that matter.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 68.255.243.36
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The reason why? Hendrix promised not to fight to rescind the Engler approved (and Archer/Hendrix did nothing to fight this) Law that stated that city police officers and firmen (and others) do not have to live in the city.

Really? Funny, I thought it had something to do with the fact that Hendrix is way ahead of everyone else in the polls and, therefore, has the best chance of beating the Big Diamond.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 937
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek- Only a few unions have endorsed - DPOA did not endorse Hendrix because "is way ahead" you don't endorse on those reasons...the intent of endorsing is to bring votes. If they had wanted to help McPhail they could have brought votes and written her a 34k check also - which would have done great things for her. NO they endorsed simply for the fact that McPhail/Napoleon are for cops living in the city and Hendrix said he would keep the law as it is.

And regardless of what metro says there are only 1/4 (maybe a bit more or a bit less) cops living in the city. If you don't believe then as the cops you know. They will tell you.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8128
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this an "anonymous source" again? LMAO

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 942
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport when did you become as crazy as Metro the alleged African American man who knows all the intimate details of Camp Hendrix.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 689
Posted From: 69.212.46.63
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DPOA did not endorse Hendrix because "is way ahead" you don't endorse on those reasons.

You don't endorse someone because they can get rid of the incumbent that you despise? Since when?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 944
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It may have been part of the reason - the main reason is he won' t rescind the Engler decision to let cops live elsewhere. Believe what you want.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 64.79.86.206
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how the Mayor of Detroit can "rescind" the residency law of the State of Michigan. He does not have such a power. And if he were to bring a new law to the legislature, would there be enough votes to pass it?

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1374
Posted From: 64.211.208.76
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, southwest -- this new law has contributed to the constant population loss in this city because city workers do not have to live in Detroit.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 537
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No the mayor can not over turn the law and if introduced legislation there would be no chance it would pass. ILD just likes to type and show how clueless he/she/it is.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 64.79.86.206
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485 are you on another planet? Once the Detroit delegation represented a large-enough population to be a powerhouse in the Michigan Legislature - but those days are long gone.

There is absolutely no way that the legislature would take up this question after only three years since the new residency law was passed - and no way that there are enough votes that a "rescinding" of the law would pass.

The Mayor of Detroit might make a push to change the labor agreement to allow for lay-offs and promotion by residency as opposed to seniority -perhaps Hendrix assured the DPOA that he wouldn't do that - but easy enough for all parties to see that such a labor agreement (to lay-off or promote based on residency) is an unlikely strategy that has little hope of success at this point. Whoever is Detroit's mayor will have to get the DPOA to agree to salary reductions. That being the case, any mayor will give on the residency issue to win the war.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3165
Posted From: 69.214.190.79
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitis not the only MI city that is fighting the anti-residency law. It is becoming a political hot-potato even in outstate municipalities. Can you spell COALITION???

Black-atcha .....

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1735
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" I believe your original claim that you are a blonde, White female with a boyfriend...not a sometimes Black/or White/or multi-racial that doesn't indentify with one race, male who is homosexual. So still no evidence that "only 25% of DPD live in the city"?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 956
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again Metro you are white/african american/paid non paid Hendrix campaign staffer trying to make someone else out to be a liar. Where is your proof that 75% of the police don't live in the city?

Merchantgander

Post Number: 550
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7956

this article has some numbers for you both

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1740
Posted on Thursday, July 28, 2005 - 2:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", unlike you, I have never claimed to be White nor a paid, campaign insider.

By the way, what was that you said about "only 25% of the DPD live in the city"?

Metro Times (July 2005)...

"In the six years since the state Legislature outlawed such requirements, about 25 percent of the city’s 18,000 employees have moved out of town."

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=7956

"A year after a residency requirement was lifted, more than one in five Detroit police officers now lives outside the city."

Freep in 2001...

Department figures show at least 900 of the 4,200 officers on the force have informed the department that they no longer are Detroit residents. Many moved after the residency requirement ended last July, but police officials acknowledge that some merely made official what they already were doing -- living outside the city they're paid to serve and protect.

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/reside9_20010709.htm

Metro Times in 2000...

"But according to the Police Department, only about 250 of its 5,000 employees have moved out of Detroit."

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=474