Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Hendrix trumps Kilpatrick in funding « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix trumps Kilpatrick in funding

Campaign costliest in Detroit history

http://www.freep.com/news/locw ay/mayor25e_20050725.htm

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite a bit of $ there. Does anyone know how much a 30 second commercial costs locally?

Jdmdetroit
Username: Jdmdetroit

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 170.20.11.59
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On TV? I don't know. But I know that a 60-second radio ad can be had for as little as $25 on some stations.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 488
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends on time. You buy points, and I think it's like ~$20/point?

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 68.255.162.127
Posted on Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, purchasing media is quite an art.

Yes, in fact, you can get some great rates on radio and TV (especially Cable TV), however, the reason why early money is important as the early you make your "buy" the better positions you get, and the lower rate.

Cable can be as low as $9 depending on the timeslot (Hence, you see Hansen Clarke everywhere you flip on Detroit cable lately, last night I was channel flipping and saw him no less than 15 times), however, over-the-air advertising is valuable in a campaign such as this with such large area and a lower percentage of homes that have cable (of course, interestingly, homes without cable have a lower chance of actually voting, statistically).

It would also be valuable in state-wide races, but it is a "shotgun" approach. You advertise on WDIV it will cost you thousands but you'll hit everybody... even the suburbs, obviously. Therefore, in a localized race (congress, state rep, etc) the only logical and cost-effective means of TV (IF you're going to do it) is cable.

Many times, politicians may not make their "buys" until late (unless they have a good strategist and media buyer, and even then, experience shows that it is many times unavoidable to make a last minute "buy.")

It is why early money is so important, and I'm willing to bet the reason why Kilpatricks' funds are lower than Hendrix is he went ahead and did some of those "early buys" because he had the cash in hand.

Also, the credit-worthiness of individual campaigns in general, regardless of candidate, is about zero, so it's a cash-over-the-barrel kind of deal with almost everything... of course also driving up prices (i.e., you need a commercial shot and turned around in 48 hours it will be much more expensive than if you need it turned around in two weeks).

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 676
Posted From: 68.255.243.36
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is why early money is so important, and I'm willing to bet the reason why Kilpatricks' funds are lower than Hendrix is he went ahead and did some of those "early buys" because he had the cash in hand.

Good point. If I were looking at his campaign finance report, how would I be able to distinguish "early buys" from everything else?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2705
Posted From: 141.217.173.154
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!! Go Hendrix. While KING KWAME and McFAILED is attacking him with negative mudslinging ads Hendrix attackes back with positive results of city issues. This is good plan from the Hendrix campaign committee.