Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » Tom Walsh's Column " Either Guy is OK with Detroit Big Business" « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 64.79.86.206
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read Tom Walsh's column in today's Free Press. He states that a win in November by either Kilpatrick or Hendrix would be fine with most business leaders regionally. I find this very hard to believe. It may be another example of Walsh's pro-Kilpatrick bias (wasn't he co-opted by Kilpatrick when he traveled as Kilpatrick's guest to Dubai early on?).

For one thing, Patterson hates Kilpatrick - one reason why nothing can get done regionally. Also, I can't believe that local busines leaders were happy when Kilpatrick was named one of the three worst mayors in the U.S. And, how about the endless bad news stories about Detroit in the NYT - the national opinion leader? Wouldn't local business leaders want a change? And how did Hendrix raise all that money? Wouldn't his big pre-primary total signal pretty substantial support from people with deep pockets?

What does everyone think? Would Detroit be just fine if either candidate was elected?

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article

http://www.freep.com/money/bus iness/walsh26e_20050726.htm

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course Detroit would not be fine with Kilpatrick as Mayor. I feel re-electing kilpatrick is akin to saying "Take us over, State of Michigan, Please."

All media really want for the November battle to be between Kilpatrick and Hendrix. It makes for good writing, equaling sales dollars. If Kwame looses next tuesday, it'll be a big story for a week...then that's it. They loose out on 3 months of Kwame bashing. That's all this is...proping up Kilpatrick a tad bit more in hopes he squeeks in next week.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 466
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I disagree somewhat with you Q. If KK loses next week we will hear about that for the rest of the year. A incumbent mayor got shut down in the primary, man, that will be hellava news nationwide.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 491
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes that's one event that can be rewritten...it's still not as good as 3 months of new stories about how he's struggling to beat Hendrix.

I also feel like most of the local media really don't like Sharon (can anyone really disagree?) They don't want a chance at her winning in November.

Kwame will be easy to beat for Hendrix...will Sharon be that easy? I don't think so.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 530
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is a hidden agenda against Sharon, if the papers don't like her it is because of her personality and views. Also maybe they truely believe Hendrix and KK can do the job better.

Look at the polls and the amount of money she has raised it looks like the city of Detroit doesn't like her very much either.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 940
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are so ignorant Merchant - then I can' t blame you - you must believe everything you read and hear.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Tuesday, July 26, 2005 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, you are by far the most ignorant person on this forum and are full of shit, you live in a fantasy world. Reality doesn't exist to you. No can believe anything you say because the stories keep changing.

I often wonder if you are one of Sharon’s other personalities.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 2997
Posted From: 67.37.83.33
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 12:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The media have their own political agendas. Their goal is to make money. Not deliver the news. Their target audience, where their money is made, is not in Detroit. Its in the burbs where folks want Detroit's share of state resources and other things of value that Detroit controls. Like the Water Department. Sharon has been shut out because she cannot appeal to those political forces who want to control Detroit's economic wealth. She talks about cooperation but not regionalism. Both KK and Hendrix agree to outsourcing and "public-private partnerships". Both of those mean more money for private business. Bottom line, who advocates those items gets the biz support. Sharon knows this and decided to go the route she has. But if you knew her and her history, she had no choice. Its who she is. That is integrity and why I am stil proud to support her.