Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » How about positive comments on candidates? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 69.212.60.230
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 1:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being relatively new here, and having spent much time reading this mayoral super-thread, I have found a lot of trash-talking of candidates, and fighting among forumers who support opposing candidates. What I have NOT found is a lot of positive remarks except a few from the people who appear to be from the McPhail camp. (Is anybody really in the Clarke camp?)
So, let's post why you think we SHOULD vote for your favorite candidate, not why we shouldn't vote for the opponents....

(If you want to link to an earlier post, go for it)

1-2-3--GO!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1904
Posted From: 68.79.115.74
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 8:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy,
GOOD LUCK at getting that. I've tried for months asking questions to allow supporters to show what their candidate has to offer.

Mudslinging and tales of how the candidates' demeanor at an event seem to be the main topic of the discourse of the candidates platforms here.

I find it it so sad, that an election so crucial to Detroit has become a personality contest rather than a comparison of views of what the candidates have to offer to move the City forward in a difficult time.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy, you'll find no positive comments coming from Jams about anybody. Only more questions and more questions and more questions.
Oh and more questions.

Jams, who do you support and why? Or haven't you made up your mind yet?

I think Sharon McPhail will work hard to:

1. Get property taxes down to average (for the surrounding area) levels.

2. Lower crime by targeting drug dealers and their inventory, and utilizing existing technologies to track patrol car locations, track and target gangs and crime-types and target them with distinct squads, among other things.

3. Begin to bring people back with Detroit Children's Fund that will give kids, who go to Detroit Schools for at least 8 years (if we start now), a free college education to any college in the state of Michigan.

4. Work very hard with L. Brooks to get regional transportation issues under control including bussing and a light rail system...

5. Declare emenent domain on Illitch buildings that are sitting waiting to be torn down (that is my dream...and I can only see her doing it)

That's is for now.

I know Sharon. She is a warm, kind and intelligent candidate who has nothing but the betterment of this community as the first thought on her mind everyday.

Quinnly

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 966
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy - Ditto from me on Quinn. We constantly post positive articles and lines on our candidate. Also please feel free to go to www.sharonandbenny.com

There is much on there to read. And remember to Vote August 2!

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bostedguy, I recently decided about three weeks ago to vote for Hendrix in Tuesday's election. I'd like to give you a little insight as to how and why I made my decision.

Having had the opportunity to have met the three main candidates through the years (I've only been introduced to Clarke in passing) I think that all three are decent people with something to add to this City and the office of mayor.

My decision to vote for Freman was pretty clear cut for me for a few reasons. First, he is in my mind by far the most practical and disciplined of the candidates. What I mean by this is him being focused on the most pressing problems at hand and centering one's attention around the proper priorities.

I think this can be traced to his experiences as a behind the scenes operative and having a well grounded view of City government, its capabilities and its limitations. I value this because I think the City is in the midst of a financial crisis and whoever wins this election, their first priority must be handling this crisis.

Additionally, Freman has provided to me some very important specifics on what needs to be done. Eliminating and consolidation City departments to restructure City government and begin tackling the structural deficits that plague us. This speaks to tackling some of the expense related issues. The other half of the equation is recognizing the needs to grow revenues in a realistic and practical manner. Beyond talking about tax cuts and reductions, I see an understanding of how to make that a reality.

For me Freman does not just identify the need for economic development, but has an understanding and commitment to creating an environment that will atract investors and help foster economic growth and development. More importantly, he has a track record that is consistent with this assertion.

Other key items would include a primary focus on investment in and development of neighborhoods. A zero tolerance for crime which means we have an expectation that no crime, from stealing hub caps to murder, is acceptable. The importance of education to our overall community and the need to restructure the educational system in our City.

Having a sense of what the candidates are about and what they have done, Freman was the clear cut choice for me. His understanding of the challenges facing the City, and what can and should be done to address it are superior to the other candidates. He's shown a focus and discipline that unfortunately was missing from Kwame's first term and one that I've honestly never seen from Sharon.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 1907
Posted From: 68.79.101.254
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least my neutrality about the candidates has been acknowledged.

If asking questions prior to an election is bad form, does anyone have the right to bitch after the election if the official fails to live up to the standards required, because the questions were not asked?

A carpenter reminded me of this maxim yesterday;
MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE

I question again and again because as a resident of this City, I deserve the best. If a candidate can't get their supporters to understand what they have to offer, why should I choose that candidate? If that is too confusing for you, just stay in the sandbox, BTW it closes at 8pm Tuesday Aug. 2.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 198.208.160.27
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"For an old braud, Sharon McPhail is pretty hot."

A quote from my neighbor.

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 69.212.228.49
Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frankly, Hansen Clarke is more my style, if I had to chose...

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 69.212.32.26
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What I have NOT found is a lot of positive remarks except a few from the people who appear to be from the McPhail camp.

Freman Hendrix has pledged to bring DPD's narcotics and gang squad's back to full staffing levels.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 973
Posted From: 68.252.125.207
Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek - So has McPhail and Napoleon with DPD. They have stated that they will make Detroit a DRY town for drug sellers. In addition McPhail has pledged to make preservation a top prioroty. The Histroic Coalition gave her the highest score on their exam. She is the only candidate who does what she says - as quoted per the coalition's president. Her top priority is repopulation and retention those things that will affect R&R are cutting taxes, improving city services, and cutting crime. The NY Times stated that she has the mist realistic plans of the three candidates. I don't disagree that Clarke is a nice man...but he does not have the clout to push things throuhg. He and McPhail are the most like ideologically. When togehter they have a very good rapport.