Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Sharon and the McFailures « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8267
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boo ya!

laughing

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3847
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really want to dig up some of the gems of the McPhail shills, but honestly why would I want to spend time trudging through all that bullschitt? I guess the polls don't lie after all. The people have spoken, and only roughly 1 in 10 of those who voted wanted the "Power of Two." Next the McPhail folks are going to start saying Freman only won because people didn't get out and vote. They're going to blame the heat. They're going to blame the media. And in the end, the only people they're not going to blame is themselves.

I think what we've seen is that Sharon's focus on Freman ended up killing any glimmer of hope she had. From day 1 she needed to be ignoring Freman, and instead spend her time and campaign resources targeting the Mayor. Attacking Freman wasn't going to shoot her into 2nd place and a spot on the ballot in November, and whoever gave her that advice should be finding themselves a new career.

Political-career-over-atcha... watching the McFailure folks scrambling to pick up the pieces, their tear-filled eyes distorting their vision...

Bostedguy
Username: Bostedguy

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 66.155.190.24
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She'll be back in some capacity...

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1224
Posted From: 68.248.55.151
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, McPhail is good people, with a lot of good ideas. Personally I wished she would have run for council and gotten the most votes. Not my decision. But I ain't gonna put her down. Wish her well.

The_aram

Post Number: 3848
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've got to admit, though, her strategy was absolutely puzzling.

Why, when Freman is consistently polling in the #1 slot with a double-digit lead over the Mayor in the #2 slot, would you target Freman almost exclusively? You're not going to leapfrog over Kwame with the base and fundraising he has and knock Freman into 2nd or even 3rd. It just doesn't make sense. Even on this site, the McPhail supporters targeted only Hendrix. If they really wanted their candidate to make it past the primaries, they should have been drilling the hell out of Kwame instead. It's baffling to contemplate how their strategy would have worked, especially with the wishful thinking of "well, Gil Hill didn't win in 2001, the polls must be faulty." Looks like, when you look at tonight's results, everything pretty much fell how the polls said they would.

Sharon was coming on strong when she initially targeted the Mayor. Then, once she mysteriously shifted the criticism to Hendrix and the DPS takeover and all of that, everything fell apart. I don't question McPhail as a candidate, but rather the inane logic of whoever was plotting her campaign.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1227
Posted From: 68.248.55.151
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. Stated the same myself to friends.
However, its over. The voters have spoken.
Right or wrong Sharon is good people.
Not going to bash her. The true enemy has yet to be defeated.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1084
Posted From: 69.219.102.33
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, I agree with your first post. The McPhail supporters will find a way to blame Hendrix for winning the mayoral primary. They are far from dead. Since they can not support Hendrix, they will support Kilpatrick on the premise that Kilpatrick is the lesser of two evils.

We may not hear much from the McPhail supporters on this thread(they will naturally need some time to recover from this devastating loss), but Brian, ilovedetroit, Quinn, Bratt, Ltorivia Helfy, and 4nointegreedy will be back doing what they do best: spewing out one unsubstantiated claim after another. All I can say is, get ready for round two. It will be just as annoying as round one.

The_aram

Post Number: 3853
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 2:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can McPhail throw her support behind Kilpatrick after spending 4 years taking every shot at him she could possibly take and then some? Isn't it a little contradictory? Or was this effort at slandering Hendrix an act of desperation when McPhail realized she was toast in order to reduce the contradiction when she would have to throw her support behind Kilpatrick when the time came?

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 69.246.49.148
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I am a supporter of McPhail and I think her platform was very good. Even though she did not win, I feel she tried her best to win through the grass roots effort. As far as which way my vote goes now, I have already made my decision for November and it will be Kwame. Being a city worker and hearing Freeman say on tonights news that he was going to have to cut our jobs even as he was out there shaking our hands and trying to get our votes. It was pretty tasteless to me. Go Kwame!!! The lesser of two evils hehehe

The_aram

Post Number: 3855
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's puzzling to me watching the Sharon supporters fall rank and file behind Kwame given the venom she's spewed in his direction on a consistent and steady basis for the entire length of his term.

It's also puzzling how someone could look at the city and the level of dubiousness and nepotism the Kilpatrick administration has stood for and still want to vote for him.

It's also puzzling to me how someone can expect a Mayoral candidate to promise to continue to fund extraneous city jobs that cost the city money and serve a large population that simply doesn't exist. Like it or not, the city work force is going to have to be rolled back. And, mark my words, either of the candidates is going to end up doing it. It's short-sighted to assume that this won't be the case.

But if you're happy with that, keep on supporting Kwame.

Royce

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, for a moment I'm going to take a page out of Brian's book on "Conspiracy Theories" and say that perhaps Sharon McPhail has made a backroom deal with Kilpatrick and promised him that she will endorse him for the November election and persuade her diehard supporters to vote for him in exchange for a cushy six-figure job in his second administration.

Let's face it. What else can explain her cordialness with Kilpatrick during the debates and not attacking him when it was clear that he was running second? And now that she has lost and was so strongly against Hendrix, how can she not endorse anyone but Kilpatrick? She has to endorse Kilpatrick in order to give her supporters a reason to live. To not endorse anyone would be a slap in the face to her die-hard supporters. She can't in good conscience abandon them now when they need her so.

As ilovedetroit would say, "Something smells fishy." Stay tuned. This election just got more interesting.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2761
Posted From: 207.74.111.95
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those who voted for McFAILED! I fell sorry for all of you after you voted for the so-called power of 2.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 608
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I read an interesting poll that showed that the majority of people that voted for McFailure and Clarke said they would for Hendrix. Who cares if she endorses KK as this election showed she has very little political clout in this town. Her political aspirations are over.

I know McFailures those polls are wrong, just like the election polls. I do agree with you that polls were wrong; they showed McFailed a lot more popular than she actually was.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchant, I really don't think everyone will justjump and go over to the Hendrix camp.I think for awhile they will be undecideds. I know I am and probably will be for a very long time.

I just look forward to the next three months. There will be nothing but mudslinging. I guarantee you KK will be doing nothing but...he is desperate.

All KK really has to do now, is to fire all of his family and friends, and guarantee the public that he won't follow that path and he is a shoe in.

We'll see.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 612
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree not everyone but I believed that the majority of her supporters would go to KK, this surprised me that a majority said they would support Hendrix. To me this is good news, and shows that Hendrix has a better chance of beating KK then I originally thought.

Hamtramike
Username: Hamtramike

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 146.9.52.102
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt is on the right track though. If Kwame repents and sincerely apologizes for his "sins", it could spell trouble for Hendrix...... Can't imagine that happening and actually taking the blame for anything though.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 68.250.43.148
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two items for discussion:
A. Did those of you who saw Kilpatrick's speech to his supporters last night think it was very "Mayoral" or professional? When he clinched his teeth and said in essence, "Ooooh! Just wait!", he seemed like a little kid wanting revenge for someone tsking his toy.
B. Do you think the rumors that McPhail cut a back room deal have merit? Supposedly, she spoke with Kilpatrick's people for almost an hour last night. Her abrupt change in strategy during the Fox 2 debate when she cozied up to Kwame leads me to believe Royce is on the right track.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 613
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK has already apoligized and said he made mistakes, it is up to Hendrix's team to push the do you really want 4 more years of apoliges and mistake. KK plan could back fire on him becuase if I was Hendrix I would turn it around.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 6785
Posted From: 64.228.203.231
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...just another reason to open the primary to four candidates. Anything can happen between now and Nov...two just isn't enough.

Andy
Username: Andy

Post Number: 415
Posted From: 69.221.68.196
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

...just another reason to open the primary to four candidates. Anything can happen between now and Nov...two just isn't enough.

The citizens of Detroit can't even handle the school board vote. More choices would only confuse them.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/51788.html?1123082413

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 979
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are ALL so nice on here. I hope McPhail puts herself behind Kilpatrick. Hendrix is truly evil (watch Steve Wilson on Wednesday night for the tip of the ice berg)...Kilpatrick will be better in a 2nd term - why? It is called legacy. They all want a building named for them when they leave office. What else is there to bring out on him? There is a lot to bring Hendrix down...maybe people will finally talk about it for a change.

McPhail is a true champion of the people and all those fools who did not realize it will. There will be some nasty mudslinging over the next few months. But KK will win.

Andy
Username: Andy

Post Number: 419
Posted From: 69.221.68.196
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, now that's a sorry ass post right there.

Royce

Post Number: 1087
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the school board, Detroit voters remind me of the husband and wife who get lost driving. She tells him to stop and ask for directions and he says "no" he can find where they are supposed to be going on his own. He would rather drive around lost than have some outsider tell him how to get to his destination. Get my point.

Royce

Post Number: 1088
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, what did you expect ilovedetroit to say? Personally, I'm surprised he has responded so quickly after telling us ALL that McPhail would win big time, but instead suffered an humiliating defeat.

Andy, as I told Aram earlier, the McPhail supporters will come back and support Kilpatrick on the premise that Kilpatrick is the lesser of two evils. They will continue their witch hunt of Freman Hendrix, which as you can see from ilovedetroit's post #979 has already started.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 517
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's the same ole' song with a different meaning".

Sounds familiar???

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 69.216.105.196
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I warned you all that the mudslinging was going to be viscious, but I never thought it would start so early....damn Detroit...I am scared of yall!

It hasn't even been 24 hours and channel 4 and channel 7 can't wait to start.

I'm about to pop some popcorn cuz it's about to get ugly!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 459
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now the fun is really gonna begin. Mud slinging, eye gouging, name calling, and just about anything else you can think of will commence from now until the final election.
You thought Bad, Bad Leroy Brown put up a fight. Kwame will put him to shame (and probably most other Detroiters) when all is said and done.
He can't offer much political patronage so things are tough all over. This may match WWF for outrageousness and should be good entertainment for politcal junkies.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3002
Posted From: 68.73.32.58
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still Hendrix supporters are not gracious but it seems sore winners.

Sharon's supporters, like myself, don't like Archer/Hendrix because of the campaign in 93. It has nothing to do with Kwame.

From my own observations, Kwame loves his people, he is just too greedy and selfish. Hendrix does not seem to love his own people. IF you do not understand that there is nothing further to say. Both of the two candidates are the same and now I can rest. Both are bad for Detroiters. That's the people for folks who are still focused on the CBD and old bldgs.

The real fight will be between the appointees. Archer's appointees want their jobs back. Kwame fired all of them when he took office. Kwame's appointees want to keep their jobs. Kwame's appointees have less experience in politics but their are more street wise and nimble. Archer's apointees have the eight years to fall back on but ALL OF THEM TURNED THEIR BACK ON DETROITERS when Archer left office.

The_aram

Post Number: 3859
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, Brian, I thought Hendrix didn't have enough name recognition to be a serious candidate...

The_aram

Post Number: 3860
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I must say it's been entertaining for me to do the occasional forum search and dig up some gems from some of the McPhail shills re: Hendrix.

A couple fun ones I've stumbled over tonight.
It's funny. 44% of those who went out to vote seemed to know damn well who Freman Hendrix was.

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 63.69.106.5

Posted on Friday, December 17, 2004 - 10:48 am:
Jack Lessenberry was on the radio this morning and he stated that Freman was having a very dificult time of raising money. Seems his utter lack of name recognition and inability to convince others that he can win the primary is hurting his chances to raise the much needed funds to meet Kwame's war chest.

Post Number: 2143
Posted From: 68.73.32.30

Posted on Sunday, January 30, 2005 - 7:12 pm:
Perhaps they should cover the low low level of name recognition of Freman Hendrix.

Carol Cain (sp) of the Detroit News was on Street Beat today. She mentioned how low Freman's name recognition was and how it is hurting him in his campaign for mayor. Apparently it was higher when he was the deputy mayor and when he quit his name recognition dropped off. She stated that its picked up a bit since he has been back in the news but his three years of hibernation has hurt him in the public eye.

Royce

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Archer's apointees have the eight years to fall back on but All OF THEM TURNED THEIR BACK ON DETROITERS when Archer left office." - Brian

Brian, if Kipatrick, according to you, fired all of Archer's appointees when Kilpatrick took office, how could Archer's appointees have turned their backs on Detroiters when they were no longer working for Detroiters? You think they should have fought harder to keep their jobs and the fact that they didn't sue Kilpatrick is the reason you feel that they turned their backs on Detroiters? Would you care to elaborate because your statement makes no f'ing sense?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2774
Posted From: 141.217.173.169
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Brian!

Archer and his appointees didn't turn their backs on Detroit during thier 8 years in office. Archer and his appointees didn't even go through a lot of political red tape in order to bring Detroit back up to its true rennaisance. It was KING KWAME and his 6 Mile Smurf Mafia that turn it backs on Detroiters.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2073
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In all actuality, many of Kwame's appointees were Archer appointees that were held over.

Examples:

Pretty much all the Fire Administration were Archer appointees, Most police executives the same except Ella. Budget Director Short and Finance Chief Werdlow- Archer appointtees. A few of the Kilpatrick police detail were ther under Archer, George Jackson had been appointed by Archer to several Boards and Commissions. Several other directors who were eventually replaced (Cable, Cultural Affairs,) but stayed a while.
Parking director is still the same, etc.

As to Archer Appointees turning their back- some did go to the private sector, but some got involved, depending on your definition.

Former Archer staff run The Metro Girls Scouts, work for city council or state legislators, a couple work for the Governor, One ran for Deputy Mayor, Two work for as Police Chiefs of Inkster and River Rouge, The Skillman Foundation, and one is on Mildred Gaddis's show.

Just like many of Coleman's Staff went and did things in the community and in business. The same will happen to Mayor kilpatrick when he eventually leaves office, whenever that maybe.