Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » ::::::Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread - 1 » What will Sharon do with her ideas? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 882
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not vote for Sharon, but I'm not one to gloat over the loss of others. Well, not usually, and I won't do it here.

I do think one of the most interesting aspects of the whole campaign is yet to come.

Whatever her faults, I think Sharon has some sharp ideas, or at the very least knows how to surround herself with some sharp people. It'll be interesting to see what she does with those ideas. Will she dialogue with the next mayor? Or will she hoard her ideas with the plan of waiting four years (not likely I'm guessing) - or just out of spite?

For me, her choice to work with or write off the next mayor will go a long way in cementing how much of her campaign was genuine concern for Detroit and how much was self-serving. It'll really impact my image of her as a person.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 615
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If her ideas had any merits, she would have performed better in the primary. Setting a goal is not an idea, most of her ideas there are no feasible way to implement them and Detroiters were smart enough to know it.

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 69.220.232.70
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sincerely hopes she continues to impart her considerable intellectual input in Detroit. This poor city sure needs all the help it can get.
Now that she's out of the race, what will she tell her supporters to do? Vote Hendrix, Kwame?
It's a win, win situation for Hendrix. If Sharon tells her supporters to back Kwame the voters will assume it's sour grapes. Either way Hendrix benefits.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 6784
Posted From: 64.228.203.231
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that she will tell them to vote for KK. Her guns were blazing consistently at Hendrix to oust him out of the primary. If she now says vote for him, she will look like a turncoat.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 515
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She has already made herself look like a turncoat, when she became bubs with KK. You can't dog someone out for almost 4 years, run against him and then become his friend. That wasn't good campaigning to me. You run against someone because you think that you can do a better job. I think that SOME of her supporters will go with KK and others will follow FH. I really wished that she would have stayed on the council for a little while longer. But... that's just my op.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander - that was my initial reaction, as well, but I went to her website and read through the details. There was a logical basis for her conclusions - although she didn't reveal every detail (which I suppose was understandable at that point). I don't know that she could've obtained the numbers she was talking about, but there definitely was more to her ideas than making things up.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 980
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail is a very smart person and no matter what folks may think on here she will do the best for Detroit. The only reson she did not win the primary is lack of money. Hendrix got all of his from the suburbs (only 8 major donors over a 1,000 came from Detroit). McPhail's supporters are VERY loyal and want change. Her campaign office was filled last night with a cross-section of Detroit, white, black, asian, hispanic, poor and rich. We are a VERY diverse group and mostly a progressive group who strongly believe in our rights as citizens to have a functioning city for all Detroiters. My guess is the most of us will be courted by Kilpatrick. I know you may think we are crazy - but as a group of voters there is a STRONG dislike for Hendrix and his antics with school board but it goes beyond that. We truly do not feel he did anything for Detroit. He is on a self-enrichment program for Hendrix. The more you get to know him the less appealing he is. Kilpatrick has a winning personality - he is smart. And he will try to pull the REAL Hendrix out so the people can see who he really is. Kilpatrick needs to prove to people that he is working on a legacy and to get a good legacy (Young has one with most African American Detroiters) you need to do good things! He does not want to be a "washed up" politican at 34". He has more to lose than Hendrix (who is in his early 50s)...at this point I would like to write McPhail in on the ballot but I will more than likely vote for KK as I feel he is the lesser of two evils.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 351
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit, how can there be this pent up rage about the school board antics (so to speak) when a good percentage of the voters did not care enough to even vote for a new school board? The so-called villain in the school board takeover won the primary on yesterday. Explain that, please?

I agree that Sharon McPhail is very smart, articulate, and compassionate. However, I don't think that she really has what it takes to lead a struggling city such as Detroit. Detroit is not a charity basket and I think that she will be way too lenient and compassionate when the tough decisions are necessary. I think that Hendrix is hard-nosed enough and has the right attitude to care less what people think of him and to make the changes for the betterment of the city. This is what Detroit needs: Not a pimp (KK); not a Mother Theresa (McPhail); not a freak (Clark); but a badass who don't give a f**k about the naysayers(Hendrix).

I agree that it is wrong to bask in someone's defeat in the manner that Supersport and other's have. After all Supersport, you tend to throw your sucker in the dirt if someone says anything you deem foul about Detroit. You really need to GTFU.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 204.38.171.25
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I voted for Sharon, primarily because I wanted to eliminate KK's chances of coming back. That didn't work, so I have no problem going down to Hendrix's office to see if they need more help. At this point the past is the past. Kwame has been and will continue to be an embarassment every second he's in office. I for one am tired of being ashamed and plan to show it. I hoped voters would "throw all the bums out..." but one important one will be good enough for me.

McPhail's tough, she'll bounce back no problem. Right now I'm concentrating on repainting the Detroit Zoo watertower asap!

McPhail or Clarke vs. Cheeks? She'd get my vote.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1491
Posted From: 66.238.170.38
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shave, I think it's wrong to call Clarke a "freak" or McPhail a "Mother Theresa." If there's anything, I rather have those two in office than Kwame or Freman. As Clarke said, he has "clean hands" -- there's too much nepotism, corruption and mismangement in this city that we need a clean slate. McPhail has the sharpest plans out of all the candidates -- I hope she still does some public service for the city. It's sad that she won't be in City Council anymore.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8288
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hendrix got all of his from the suburbs (only 8 major donors over a 1,000 came from Detroit)."

Last I checked, people from the suburbs can't vote here. Quit making excuses, it was DETROITERS who didn't vote for her. Hell, she barely squeaked by Clarke.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon has not done a thing while on the council, I think it is great that Detroiters have said we don't want you anymore go join your husband in Connecticut.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 526
Posted From: 141.215.3.117
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPahil will probably fade into the sunset just like her husband, David Snead and 2001 mayoral candidate Gill Hill.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 1913
Posted From: 12.75.19.47
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander's first post is on the money. Her plans were short on detail and unimplementable.

She's a smart cookie but her political career is not replete with successes. I don't see her being successful in another political race given her lack of support yesterday and the knocks she's taken on her campaign strategy and tactics. She's a bit isolated from the power brokers now.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1768
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah good old "Ilovedetroit", still trying to find ways to spread false claims.

"The only reson she did not win the primary is lack of money."

--Funny, I've heard every excuse from "Detroiters being stupid/fooled", to "it was the heat", to "Detroiters not liking women", to "'Real Detroiters'/'activists' not voting", etc.

"Hendrix got all of his from the suburbs (only 8 major donors over a 1,000 came from Detroit)."

--Nice try. Largest amount of individual donors in history (over 4,000), mostly from Detroit.

"My guess is the most of us will be courted by Kilpatrick. I know you may think we are crazy - but as a group of voters there is a STRONG dislike for Hendrix and his antics with school board but it goes beyond that. We truly do not feel he did anything for Detroit."

--Nice try. Polls show 60% of McPhail and Clarke voters would go for Hendrix.

"Kilpatrick has a winning personality - he is smart."

--At least you can shill for Kilpatrick full time now. Way to sabatoge your (first) candidate by trying to pull double-duty in the primary.

"And he will try to pull the REAL Hendrix out so the people can see who he really is."

--...Just like people saw "the real McPhail", right?