Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » And Napoleon? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 68.248.54.219
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't see Sharon McPhail endorsing Hendrix although I think most of her primary votes go to him. I do see Hansen Clark supporting Freman.
But what about Bennie? For the last two months he looked ill at ease, like he wished he had never gotten involved in the Power of Two. Whom does he endorse?

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is at this moment on the news endorsing Freman Hendrix!

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just saw it on channel 7, it didn't take long to distance himself from McPhail.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 69.216.105.196
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I kinda knew about this, but I didn't think he would do it this fast.

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good move by Benny. He didn't waste any time at all.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3857
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 7:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm. Power of two my ass.

Good for Benny.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 470
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He could not wait to get away from that woman.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2775
Posted From: 141.217.173.169
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what about Sharon McFAILED! She may even think about endosing KING KWAME KILLpatrick. That would hurt his political career. In the matter of fact. If KING KWAME win the November election. He may think about appointing her into his 6 Mile Smurf Administration.

(Message edited by danny on August 04, 2005)

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to be a fly on the wall the next time Sharon and Benny have a quiet moment together. I dont see how she could endorse Kwame after the acrimony between them all this time. She would thoroughly confuse the people that supported her.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 630
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The upside to this Leoqueen is there are not that many of her supporters to confuse. And mostly likely they were already confused and that is why they were a supporter of McFailed.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 359
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This man has got to be the biggest asshole loser I have ever seen. I am glad that Hendrix came out on top. However, Napo-lie-on is a tasteless and classless POS. Ewww...he just turns my stomach.

Bratt

Post Number: 182
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shave,

Who are you referring to....who turns your stomach? Who is an asshole loser?

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 66.178.227.202
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon won't endorse anyone. How can she? She fought Kilpatrick tooth and nail when she was on council, and then she disparaged Hendrix almost to the point of it being obsessive-compulsive. How could she endorse anyone and have it mean anything?

Shave

Post Number: 361
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Napo-lie-on...did you not get it, Bratt?

Bratt

Post Number: 186
Posted From: 69.216.133.3
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shave,

What has he lied about?

Bratt

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 69.216.133.3
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just asking, I have never met anyone who didn't like him.

Shave

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I find it kind of tacky for him to seemingly stand in Sharon's corner then haul ass so fast. Perhaps I'm taking loyalty and simple respect too serious here. After all, she put him in the spotlight after years of seemingly obscurity. I'm happy for Freeman and feel sure that he will deliver in the end. However, I really liked Sharon and hope that she stays in the spotlight and share her great ideas.

Bratt

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 69.216.123.12
Posted on Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Sharon as well....but she is not done yet Shave. Just be a little patient..I feel something is cooking right now...I had a vision so don't worry, everything is going to be just fine. Sharon does have the power of two, but the second power may not have been Benny. Everything happens for a reason......

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1253
Posted From: 68.248.55.151
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, so you are saying Sharon is pregnant.
Well congratulations. David still got some fire in him.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8320
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I had a vision so don't worry"

LMAO...you said you had a vision that Sharon made it past the primaries didn't you?

Bratt

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, no I did not. Read that post again. I said I couldn't reveal anything. And no Jmil, Sharon is not pregnant. LOL. You so silly.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2072
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome home Benny....

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 999
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I like Benny...but Benny is all about Benny. He and McPhail have a very good personal relationship. McPhail was not holding him down making him be a part of the team. He went to the Hendrix camp of his own free will. I don't know what transpired between them in their talks (or lack of talks) but regardless of what happened he moved VERY quickly and I would consider his quick movement to have been tacky. He could have waited a few days and talked to his supporters - but he just went to Freman leaving people behind in the dust. Regardless of how much you may dislike McPhail she and THEIR supporters deserved better. She was very gracious in her speech to Benny and his supporters when she conceded defeat - he should have done the same in turn. Also it was mentioned above that he "did not look very happy with McPhail"...well did he look happy announcing his support for Hendrix?

See video below:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ politics/index.html

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, so Benny is all about Benny.

Hmm, why would McPhail pick such a selfish running mate? Why did you never mention his selfishness prior to the primary? Don't worry those are purely rhetorical questions as I understand that all candidates have their shortcomings.

Seriously, I don't have a problem with the announcement. If he really believed much of what was said by their ticket during the campaign then he should logically endorse Freman.

Also, what exactly do you talk to your supporters about? Unless you're trying to negotiate some inside deals the choice was pretty clear and the quickness with which it was made also spoke volumes.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1003
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detbest- I said I like Benny and I do - why McPhail picked him is because they are ideologically very similar, they have been friends for years and they trust each other. Any decisions beyond that is between them - I don't know - I was not in the room. But I did volunteer on the campaign and spent time at the HQ with them and other events. I think it would be very hard to fake the general respect that they had for each other at ALL times in front of crowds. But in my opinion Benny wanted something bigger and better and McPhail could not offer it. So part of the deal is to sign up with Hendrix and to get something for it tit-for-tat (who knows what was offered and I really don't care).

As far as talking to your supporters you simply give those people some respect when endorsing someone...they ALL worked hard for McPhail/Napoleon...and you explain to those people why you are doing what are you are doing. I for one was surprised - not so much that he endorsed Hendrix - but that he did it so quickly. Just a few hours before we were all standing outside the HQ getting the election results. He was there with Sharon - hugging her and shaking volunteer hands, and giving speechs together about how wonderful we all were (there were 300 or so folks there at 11 PM) - then less than 24 hours later endorsing someone else.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 68.252.69.237
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts... Benny ain't gonna go against his former boss, Dennis Archer, and he's smart to know which way the wind is blowing. He probably will return to something under an Hendrix administration (just gut feeling).

My thoughts on Sharon?

My thought in the back of my head is that she'll go to New England to be with her husband after her term at council. She's served well, shoulda ran for council again. She has great ideas wrapped in an unbelievable-due-to-previous-a ctions exterior.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3020
Posted From: 68.73.32.149
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seems to be a common thing said about Sharon.

"great ideas"

yet not good enoug to be mayor.

"shoulda ran for council again"

Is it a woman thing? In the end what is the difference between CC and the mayor except for the duties and responsibilities?

And if the ideas are so great, why not press the remaining candidates to adopt them?

Also DV ain't the only one who has posted those type of statements.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 69.212.169.196
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If she really believed in the ideas (versus using them as campaign rhetoric) then will she use the remaining campaign funds she has (or even her own energy) and push for adoption?

How about meeting with Hendrix and trading her endorsement for the favor of entertaining and supporting her last key idea of free college?

Or does her ego not allow her to do what's good for the citizens because she spent so much time attacking Hendrix in the primary?

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3023
Posted From: 68.73.32.246
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What an arrogant post. A post that does not disguise its negative attacks against Sharon McPhail.

Now she has to bribe Freman with an endorsment in order for him to offer free college to Detroit students? Or use her own money to do the mayors job?

Bratt

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 69.216.143.148
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just out of curiousity, has Freman mentioned anything about helping our children? I don't know, just a question...

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1149
Posted From: 69.212.43.233
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, the bigger question is what can a mayor who has no control over the elected school board, no control of the school administration, and no control over who teaches our students do to improve the education of Detroit students?

My answer is: not much from the stand point of direct control and influence. The mayor of a city is really put into the role of cheerleader when it comes to affecting education in a city. He or she can rally behind school board candidates and endorse those that he or she feels can do the job. The mayor can go to the schools and challenge all the students to do well by offering those who do well incentives like: trips, reading books, gift certificates, being mayor for a day, summer jobs, tickets to pro and college games, and recognition awards where students get their pictures taken and placed on a bus or billboard (like Hart Plaza's electronic billboard).

Everything else that the mayor does for education is a part of his regular duties as mayor which include: making sure city services are provided so that the parents of students will want to stay in the city; campaigning businesses to stay or come to the city so that parents have jobs, which helps them buy homes, which leads to property taxes which pay for city services and schools; being a role model that students can look up to and be proud of as their mayor.

Remember, voters voted down Proposal E which would have given the mayor direct control of education in Detroit. If there are folks who want the mayor to do more for education, his or her hands are tied to what the mayor can do as mayor and that's it.