Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Mayoral Race: Haves vs. Have-Nots « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1547
Posted From: 69.212.52.122
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nov. vote looms as test of haves vs. have-nots

By Bankole Thompson
The Michigan Citizen

DETROIT — If the August 2 primary is any indication, November’s mayoral election looks to be an all-out struggle between the city’s haves and have-nots.

“The race is about who controls the city since Coleman Young whether it is the grassroots community or the Black elite under Archer,” said DeAmo Murphy, a political analyst with Blocker Associtates. “It is class warfare.”

About 130,000 voters – or 23 percent of the 640,000 registered voters in Detroit — showed up at the polls in a race where candidates Sharon McPhail and Hansen Clarke garnered 12 and 9 percent of the vote, respectively.

Murphy said Hendrix has been the darling of the mainstream media because he represents the Black elite while Kilpatrick has strong supporters in the grassroots community such as the Shrine of the Black Madonna Pan-African Christian Orthodox Church.

The notion that the Black elite have abandoned poor Black workesr is one that has surfaced in debates about the post-civil rights era. And in Detroit that sentiment resonates with many voters when they look back at the 1999 school takeover. Hendrix served as its first chairman and ordered the arrest of citizens who were demonstrating against the takeover at school board meetings.

Hendrix himself in an earlier interview with The Michigan Citizen said the race is about class.

“This is about class,” Hendrix said angrily when he accused the paper of trying to bring his campaign down with published reports of his role in the takeover.

Murphy says that struggle will play out in the general election when Hendrix will face off Kilpatrick.

“The mayor has support in the grassroots movement and Detroit is the bell weather for the African Diaspora,” Murphy said.

Hendrix he said represents “the pragmatic view that you should bring everyone to the table.”

But that could be dangerous, said Murphy who questioned the motive and intent of the polls that were conducted. “I hope he understands that all support is not good support.”

Murphy said the polls did not reflect any demographics other than the margin of error.

If polls were conducted on the city’s east side where majority of the low-income earners live or in Palmer Woods which is a hub for influential, highly educated and wealthy Blacks, the results would have been different, Murphy said.

Helen Moore, president of the Keep The Vote No Takeover coalition, which fought the school takeover, said “this is about the haves and have-nots.”

Moore, who supported McPhail, said she was disappointed that most Detroiters did not show up at the polls.

“We did not vote. It was pitiful,” Moore said. “The way this city is, this whole city should have turned out and voted for Sharon McPhail.”

Moore said while Hendrix remains a clear representation of the typical Black elite, she does not trust Kilpatrick either.

Moore said there is little difference.

“Voters don’t understand this is class warfare. They [mainstream media] put the elite in there and the rich people and left out the person [McPhail] that was on our side,” Moore said. “I don’t have a dog in that race.”

As a protest vote, Moore said her group would ask McPhail to put her name in as a write-in candidate because “if we keep voting for people with money we will never break this cycle of slavery.”

McPhail said she would appreciate the group’s efforts but that her making it is unlikely.

“If you can’t get more than 12 percent of the people to vote for you then you can’t get successful as a write-in candidate,” McPhail said. “I think the community is in trouble. The people have a serious stake in this race but did not turn out and vote.”

The councilwoman would not say whether the battle for the city’s highest office has become a class issue even though some of her supporters believe it to be the case.

“I don’t know who’s low and who’s high,” McPhail said. “That’s not a characterization I understand.”

McPhail said her supporters who voted for an empowered school board against Proposal E did not show up in numbers at the polls.

Murphy, the political analyst, said Kilpatrick’s job from here to November will be to attract those voters. The mayor was against electing an empowered board.

The displacement of poor residents in the Brush Park and Graimark areas during the Archer administration for private development projects have been haunting Hendrix.

“They killed most of those areas,” said Adolph Mongo a political consultant who works with the Kilpatrick campaign. “This is about people outside of the city who want to take control and they would use Hendrix as a vehicle.”

Both Kilpatrick and Hendrix have wooed suburban money but some critics say the mayoral front-runner reached out more than the mayor himself did.

Prior to the primary, the Detroit Council of Baptist Pastors sent out a letter of protest for what they called Hendrix’s race-baiting tactic when he reportedly asked some rich suburbanites for campaign funds. In the letter, Hendrix implied that with their money he can take back the city to the days of his former boss Dennis Archer.

In the solicitation letter, a group called Friends of Freman Hendrix said Detroit is a national embarrassment and that with their money Hendrix can get folks from Birmingham, Grosse Pointe and Bloomfield Hills to call Detroit “home,” again.

“We don’t believe that this is healthy for metro Detroit, which is already one of the most segregated communities in America,” said the council president Dr. Samuel Bullock. “It appears they are saying the mayor the city of Detroit elected is not good for the suburbs, so we must do something about it. And that concerns me.”

Mongo said Archer’s unpopularity, which led to a massive, but failed, recall effort against him should serve as a notice to voters about the Archer/Hendrix administration.

“Why do you think Archer left when 75,000 people signed to recall him?,” Mongo asked. He said the school takeover and Hendrix’s role in that have been overlooked.

Voters should remember the time when Black contractors were denied school contracts under Hendrix and instead big corporations ended getting all the contracts, Mongo reminded.

“It going to be the knock out drag out fight and the mayor will come out on top,” Mongo said.

Already McPhail said she has received requests for an endorsement both Hendrix and Kilpatrick.

“I got calls from both camps last night,” McPhail said.

Would those calls translate into an endorsement for either candidate?

“I don’t know yet,” McPhail said. “We are going to have a meeting with my supporters.”

Hendrix did not return calls at press time.

http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1 &twindow=&mad=&sdetail=1999&wp age=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=& ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reop tion=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=& rebed=&rebath=&subname=

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1548
Posted From: 69.212.52.122
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for my opinion, I disagree that Kilpatrick represents the grassroots. If there is anyone who represented the grassroots and have-nots, they were Sharon McPhail and Hansen Clarke. Hendrix is definitely representing the (black) elite and suburban businessmen. Kwame just represents thuggery, ignorance and corruption.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3899
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"“This is about class,” Hendrix said angrily when he accused the paper of trying to bring his campaign down with published reports of his role in the takeover."

Maybe it's just me, but it sure as hell looks like in that particular quote that Hendrix wasn't talking about socioeconomic class, but rather ethical class. Looks like the Citizen is trying to put words in Freman's mouth by using his words in a completely different context.

And, in usual Citizen fashion, this article reads more like an editorial/criticism of Hendrix than a factual story. And as usual it almost completely sidesteps Kwame and sets sights on Hendrix. Look at the last sentence. Did the Citizen call Kilpatrick at all? Or are they only going to report that Hendrix didn't return their calls?

How do people consider this real news? And why do people keep posting it as if it is such?

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1279
Posted From: 68.248.55.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grass roots?
Sharon & Hanson?
WTF?
WE all grass roots.
Ain't nobody left but grass roots.
Anybody that says different is lying.
And fuck em. play time is over, kk gotta go.
Bottom line.
This shit is serious. Is Freman perfect, hell no. Is he better than Kilpatrick. Hell yes.
If if he BS can we check him. hell yes. Done deal.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that Freeman should be elected for the mere fact of showing the political "leaders" that if they act up and don't deliver then they will be out on their asses in one term flat. Plain and simple. No second chances. I will say this again: Detroit, very nice decision in the primary. Good job. You got it right. Keep up the good work come November.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 68.40.42.98
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, I'd agree. Surely he was talking about character and not socioeconomic class. This paper is ridiculous. Next, they interviewed Mongo for an opinion, and did not solicit an equally biased one from the other side. Surprise, surprise. The mayor Detroit elected is bad for EVERYBODY. That's the entire point, and hopefully we fix it this time.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 68.251.224.104
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Is this what passes for journalism is this city?
Bankole is a clown. I've heard this guy on the radio a few times.

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 69.14.126.140
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The results of the latest SurveyUSA.com poll (8/9/05) show that Hendrix and Kilpatrick are neck-and-neck when it comes to support from people with no college attainment (if you want to equate socioeconomic class with educational attainment).

http://www.surveyusa.com/clien t/PollReport.aspx?g=1134bdc2-3 63f-47b8-8335-37fd828fed42

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1281
Posted From: 68.248.55.151
Posted on Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ro, you are a joke. Hendrix is leading in all polls. to pick out one. what is you point?
Don't play.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Kwame due for another "fact finding" mission to the Bahamas at taxpayer expense? Don't forget to bring your babysitter along so you and Carlita can have your alone time, the taxpayers will pick up the cost of her hotel room. Kwame's inner circle of friends and family sure have benefited from his reign, how can I land a job as a CEO of a city charity like Kwame's sister? She went from waitressing at an airport restaurant to a CEO overnight, with a big fat taxpayer funded salary to match. I'm sure being the mayor's sister had nothing to do with it, she must have impressed someone with her waitressing skills and they thought she would make an excellent person to run a city charitable organization.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 68.43.166.222
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil you might want work on your reading comprehension skills

quote:

Murphy said the polls did not reflect any demographics other than the margin of error.

If polls were conducted on the city’s east side where majority of the low-income earners live or in Palmer Woods which is a hub for influential, highly educated and wealthy Blacks, the results would have been different, Murphy said.

Ro simply pointed out that there appears to be no significant difference between the two canidates when it comes to low income voters. Education isn't a perfect indicator, but it's usually pretty good. Simply because Hendrix is even with Kilpatrick in that category doesn't mean the poll skewed, Hendrix's overall 54-40 lead consistant with other polls

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 671
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love to read the Citizen on line it makes me laugh, the paper is a joke but reading it is one of my guilty pleasures.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 205
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I really don't read the Michigan Citizen, never really read any newspaper, but I found the article interesting. Maybe that's because I'm not leaning toward either KK or Freman.

You all have to remember that it is all journalism and they interviewed people to get their opinions. And people can say what they want, freedom of speach.

Just my opinion, I personally do not think that Freman is as far ahead of KK as we all think. Furthermore, it has been way too quiet out there. Did everyone go and take a vacation or something? We have an election coming up, no time for vacations!

For all of the Freman supporters, Freman needs to get out there hard....I mean really hard. It seems that since all of the polls are showing him leading, that he may be a shoe in...not so at all.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 783
Posted From: 69.220.233.107
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DETROIT — If the August 2 primary is any indication, November’s mayoral election looks to be an all-out struggle between the city’s haves and have-nots.

Baloney, Mr. Thompson.

This election is about three things and three things only: Kids, Cops and Clean. Mayor Kilpatrick has largely ignored those items during his first-term and so I'm voting for Freman Hendrix.

Really Stand Strong for Detroit. Freman Hendix for Mayor.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3205
Posted From: 68.252.3.126
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not so, JMil .... he leads only in those polls the white media have published and that you seem to have bought into as Gospel!! Go figure ....

And all folks here ain't GrassRoots ... better pull out your old copy of "Message to the GrassRoots"; if you have one.

Black-atcha .... as the GrassRoots ain't talking publicly either!!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8384
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the white media vote in the primaries? Where the hell were all the "grassroots" then? They skip that one?

Grassroots = small potatos

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1253
Posted From: 63.115.63.131
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did the GrassRoots take the primary off as well?

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 69.222.67.187
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the media only when I agree with them, otherwise they are all liars!!

Sounds too familiar....doesn't it people?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 3916
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, that's not what we are saying when we criticize the Citizen. I don't think it takes a genius to realize that much of what they do throws journalistic integrity by the wayside.

Would any reputable newspaper use a quote from a subject and utilize a double meaning of a word, not the meaning the subject was using when saying the quote, to put words in the subject's mouth?

No. It's funny, everything I've ever read from the Citizen suffers from crap like that. As someone who takes the integrity of the media very seriously, it's insulting to see the Citizen do what it does and try to pass it off as legitimate news.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 69.212.58.27
Posted on Wednesday, August 10, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not so, JMil .... he leads only in those polls the white media have published and that you seem to have bought into as Gospel!! Go figure ....

Your stupidity knows no bounds. Hendrix also led, by a double digit figure no less, in that all important poll that Detroiters conducted themselves on Tuesday, August 2.

Please go find some gif images to play with and quit bothering the grown-ups.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1684
Posted From: 68.60.140.71
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You all have to remember that it is all journalism and they interviewed people to get their opinions. And people can say what they want, freedom of speach."

I don't think anyone is saying we should shut down The Michigan Citizen. Folks are just responding to the comments of the Michigan Citizen. Believing in the "market place of ideas" that is the basis for freedom of speech, I say, please, let these idiots print more and more. The more articles the Citizen publishes and the more absurd their methods, the less influence they will have. The entire idea of freedom of speech is that the truth can only be found by letting everyone say their peace. Reading the Citizen is like reading a parody of Kwame's campaign literature.

(Message edited by wcpo Intern on August 11, 2005)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 6889
Posted From: 64.228.199.11
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Murphy said Hendrix has been the darling of the mainstream media because he represents the Black elite while Kilpatrick has strong supporters in the grassroots community such as the Shrine of the Black Madonna Pan-African Christian Orthodox Church.

If grass roots are behind KK Detroit is in a lot worse shape than previously expected.

Rasputin's post is much like Brian's..."Hendrix is having problems raising money for his campaign. I doubt he will even make it past the primary." That happened all right.

...wondering what Rasputin is receiving for now backing KK? Besides who would YOU as a Detroit resident rather have? A mayor that has done nothing but give his friends a free ride or someone with an economic background? Hard choice...

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 288
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Thursday, August 11, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Watchin Ratsassin snoop around for some chedder while the grassroots ain't talkin either!!! ROFLMAO

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1015
Posted From: 4.229.72.48
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't even get me started on the "Someone must have said it or we wouldn't be printing it" Michigan Citizen.....

On a different note.... whenever I see a KK reelection commercial, I can't help but notice how well fed KK looks. I know he was portly when he was first elected, but all that feeding off the public trough sure comes to light whenever I see him on TV.

It's almost as though his visual image is really working against him for his reelection.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Friday, August 12, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's all that Lobster and Steak.