Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit City Council Election Super Thread » Stallworth: He's a Southfield Resident « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1586
Posted From: 69.217.229.79
Posted on Thursday, August 18, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Council candidate appears to be Southfield resident

Thomas Stallworth drives away from his Southfield residence August 8 in his Porsche.

By Bankole Thompson
The Michigan Citizen

DETROIT – Southfield resident Thomas Stallworth, who emerged as number 15 in the Aug. 2 city council primary race earning 15,307 votes, is now facing a challenge to prove his residency by other candidates in the race.

In 2004 Wayne County Clerk Cathy Garrett said Stallworth failed to register to vote in the district and booted Stallworth out of the Dist. 8 state representative race to replace his mother, former State Rep. Alma Stallworth.

Thomas used his mother’s address at 19793 Sorrento to run in the Detroit council primary and now his name also comes up as a registered voter at that address.

But Thomas pays taxes to the city of Southfield where he owns a house since 1998 on 28415 Tavistock Trail. According to Southfield’s tax records, Thomas is up to date with his taxes.

“I don’t know who you are talking about,” Thomas said denying he lived at the Southfield address Monday Aug. 8 around 9:30 a.m., as he was getting ready to drive off from the home.

“I don’t live here,” Thomas said.

However, his council campaign signs were all over in the garage at the Tavistock address and he rushed to close the garage before the Michigan Citizen got pictures of the signs.

Thomas said that he was divorced and no longer lived with his wife.

Sharon Stallworth, who answered the door at the house Monday morning also said she and Thomas are divorced and the duo no longer live together.

Sharon said Thomas comes to pick his daughter in the mornings.

“Do you want those records, too?” Sharon asked in an angry tone.

Neighbors in the area said Thomas lives at that address.

“This guy lives here every day. Everyone on this block knows that Thomas Stallworth lives here,” said one neighbor asking not to be identified in print.

State law requires that candidates live in the city 30 days before filing for office.

Stallworth refused to grant an interview.

Roy McCalister, Jr., who ran for a seat on the council and came in 19th wants something to be done about Thomas’s case.

“If it is good enough to take money from the city, it should be good enough to live in the city,” McCalister said. “This is a disservice to those who live in the city and going through the sacrifices here.”

McCalister said he believes the likes of Stallworth can seem to get away “without proper paperwork,” because they enjoy a relationship with Detroit City Clerk Jackie Currie

“When I went to file my papers. He [Stallworth] was standing in front of me. I did not know who he was at the time,” McCalister said. “But I saw the clerk come out and serviced him personally and even told him not to forget to attend her fundraising event.”

Currie would not return calls for this story.

Eric Foster of the Urban Consulting Group said the problem is that there are weak rules.

Foster said a candidate can be qualified to run for office even though the voting address can be in Detroit, the driver’s license in another city.

“The rules are kind of loose,” Foster said. “I know he has his voter registration in Detroit because that is what the law requires. That’s the responsibility of the Secretary of State.”

Foster said the state would have to revisit the rule of residency.

“Right now it is kind of open-ended,” Foster said.

McCalister said open-ended rules make it bad for candidates who have been out in the streets campaigning only to be tossed out of the race because certain candidates have “not played by the rules.”

“If you don’t live in Detroit, your affidavit is not justified,” McCalister who said he would have been in the final run off for the general election had Stallworth been out of the race.

Thomas did not return calls for an interview. Instead he faxed a response saying the public has difficulty “obtaining the most basic and critical information for candidate evaluation including whether the candidate is educated and experienced.”

Thomas did not mention residency as a critical part of evaluating candidates.

Thomas’s brother, former State Rep. Keith Stallworth pleaded guilty to a federal charge of filing a false currency transaction report, according to a 2003 sDetroit News article. That conviction led to his eventual removal from state office.

http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=1 &twindow=&mad=&sdetail=2008&wp age=1&skeyword=&sidate=&ccat=& ccatm=&restate=&restatus=&reop tion=&retype=&repmin=&repmax=& rebed=&rebath=&subname=

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this will need to get more mainstream press for Jackie Currie to do something about it

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2123
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he and his wife are divorced, that should be easy to prove...Residency is required.

Thomas Stallworth has done good for seniors in this town, particularly in starting the THAW program:

http://www.thawfund.org/Index. cfm?location=1

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1677
Posted From: 66.238.170.51
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if he is a Southfield resident, he has no business running for the Detroit City Council.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2126
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. Residency is required.

This game is something to behold, but it happens.

Look at Burton Leland and his son Gabe Leland

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=6561

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All that is needed is proof of divorce...but the dead giveaway is that the home still claims 100% on the homestead exemption...if they are divorced, neither of them can claim 100%, it has to be divided based on the amount of time either of the two lived there...

and this is for the last year...when he legally filed for a voter;s registration card in Detroit...

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2127
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But maintaining a home is speculative at best, as people can own several, like the Leland's as the Gabe the son when to high school in Lansing but dad represents Far West Detroit and parts of Dearborn Heights

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1022
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smells fishy to me...and there is enough fishy stuff in Detroit Gov. Forget him...we have other choices.

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2128
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its good to see you again ILD.... :-)

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who cares? What's Stallworth going to do? Make Council more effective? What's his platform? Let me guess: education, safe streets, and better education system?

What a joke!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1024
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Zulu - My post election depression is wearing off now :-)

Now who do I vote for? Crooked or Crookeder hahaha

Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2129
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vote for crooked...Bible says the crooked can be made strait and the rough places plain. (didnt say crookeder made strait!)

drop me a note 0400@zulu.zzn.com

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2860
Posted From: 141.217.98.82
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Stallwoth can't be a Detroit City Council member and live in Southfield at the same time. If he wins the city council seat then he must move out from his Southfield home in live in Detroit. Let's put this info into FOX 2 news.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 12
Posted on Friday, August 26, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu_warrior

him maintaining a home is one thing, but the home is being paid for (taxes) and has his name on it and claims 100% homestead exemption...which is CRIMINAL...feds can get him for that...forging taxes

Danny

believe you me...ALL THE NEWS MEDIA KNOWS ABOUT THIS...there are even complaints to the Clerk from #19 finisher in the primaries

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3246
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dummys, ya don't have to be a Detroit resident to run for office in Detroit. Ya have to be a resident to TAKE OFFICE.

Read the election laws and City Charter, then maybe you'll stop talking outta your ass!!

Black-atcha ..... watching stoopidity still be posted after a hiatus

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4839
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rasputin,

I'm glad you're back. I missed you.

Dummy

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1198
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah who cares...screw Stallworth. If he can't live here then he can F**k himself in Southfield.