Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit City Council Election Super Thread » Conversation with City Council Candidates « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1320
Posted From: 68.248.55.151
Posted on Sunday, August 28, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On Wednesday, September 14, 2005 from 6:00 p.m.- 8:00 p.m., the Plymouth's Singles Network (PSN) will host a political forum entitled "Conversation with City Council Candidates" on the lower level. The forum will be moderated by Roger Webber of WDIV- Local 4; with questions and rebuttals from Jack Lessenberry, political columnist for the Metro Times and Wayne State University's Political Scientist, Rochelle Riley, author, award-winning Detroit Free Press columnist and PUCC member and Charles Pugh, FOX 2 - Detroit anchor and WJLB - FM 98 news reporter. Admission is FREE. Please plan to come out and learn more about the candidates running for your Detroit City Council. Note: General Election on Tuesday, November 8, 2005.

Yes, I know this belongs on the city council thread. However, I am not sure how many people actually read that thread.

The council election is just as important as the mayoral race. However, I don't see the interest, just complaints. Here is one opportunity that I know about.

Lets be knowledgable about the candidates.
Its all well and good to bitch and complain, but the time is now to make a difference.

Plymouth UCC

(Message edited by jmil on August 29, 2005)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 957
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Jmil

Post Number: 1330
Posted From: 69.215.76.234
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 216.45.2.138
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

burn

Jmil

Post Number: 1358
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump, bump, bump

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

are my posts disapearring...i could've sworn that I asked JMil were they a PUCC member like me

Jmil

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Thursday, September 08, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I am member of Plymouth.

Histeric will be too, if he EVER comes to a sevice. Hello, Histeric, you out there???

Jmil

Post Number: 1375
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump

Jmil

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City Council Candidate forum at Plymouth UCC - this Wednesday at 6 PM. All eighteen candidates have been invited to be present at this forum. Rochelle Riley, syndicated columnist and writer for the Free Press, Jack Lessenberry, National Public Radio host and commentator, Charles Pugh of Fox News and WJLB will question the candidates. Roger Webber of WDIV will moderate the forum.

Plymouth United Church of Christ
600 E. Warren Ave. near Chrysler fwy. (I-75)
313-831-2460

I expect to see many of you there tonight.

Jmil

Post Number: 1381
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The forum was great. A very good turn out.

I was quite disappointed that Bates did not show.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4795
Posted From: 68.61.197.236
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't want the crucifex to spin round and round as he entered the church.

Jmil

Post Number: 1382
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that is the case, good thing he did not show.
I thought he musta been drinking cheap beer with all the formers that did not show either.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 69.221.73.198
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WELL...

i have a letter for yall to read see below!
---------------------
September 15, 2005

Dear Charles Pugh,

As a member of Plymouth United Church in Christ, I was very pleased that you took the time, as a journalist, to participate in its City Council Candidate Forum.

However, I was displeased to see that two declared write-in candidates who were in attendance were not given an opportunity to participate in the process.

Both candidates called the church to RSVP for the event and planned their night accordingly. Both were ready to speak about the issues and challenge the voters to think about the dialogue discussed.

But both were denied the opportunity.

Its funny how in today’s world people still believe that one can whisper in a room of strangers and expect no one to hear. And that is what one current council member did. Councilperson Alberta Tinsley-Talabi let her displeasure be known by telling the coordinator of the September 14th event that she felt it unfair for these two to participate.

Ms. Tinsley-Talabi needs to become more acquainted with the rules set forth by the election commission. According to the Detroit Election Commission, declared write-in candidates (a formal application process) are subject to the same regulations and rights as candidates on the official ballot. Thus, these two candidates should have been afforded the same rights and privileges to speak before the voters of Detroit.

With an initial field of over 120 candidates, the voters became fatigued with the ballot. These two candidates finished 19th & 20th and because of their commitment and determination to bring about change at Detroit’s most crucial hour, decided that they would not give up. They have the right to have their voice heard and the voters have a right to hear them.

If it were not for the fact that I am not a resident of the city, I would march down to the Election Commission tomorrow and file a complaint. I’d probably be brushed off and told that this complaint is full of hearsay. But you were there, and as a responsible journalist, you know how important it is to tell the whole story. You can recall that you did not hear these two candidates introduce themselves as they were ushered in the first row with the voters who attended. The whole story was not told.

Joan Gist and Roy McCallister were highly heralded and endorsed by many and Ms. Tinsley-Talabi knew that. She silenced their voice and took away the voters right to hear the whole story.

There will only be a few more opportunities for the voters to hear the whole story before November 8, 2005 and I would hate to see this happen again because of the displeasure of another candidate vying for the same spot to represent the people.

Jenifer R. Daniels
Founder - YG& B Project
www.ygandbproject.com

(Message edited by mrsjdaniels on September 15, 2005)