Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Detroit politics: get discouraged, or get busy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1698
Posted From: 69.212.213.213
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get discouraged, or get busy
The Michigan Citizen

Many readers ask why we publish all the tales of corruption in Detroit politics. It discourages voting, folk say. Voter apathy is really voter discouragement. The citizens get nothing and see politicians and their families getting over. So why participate?

Well, democracy is more than just the vote. The vote is the beginning.

It takes irate citizens demanding that council and elected officials of all stripes do their jobs.

The city needs a strict ethics ordinance, one that is worth more than the paper on which it is printed; an ordinance that has teeth in it so violators suffer punishment.

The city needs an ordinance taking money out of Detroit politics. There are ways and means for candidates vying for office to get their message out without spending a million and a half of corporate America’s dollars.

Do we demand such solutions or just complain to each other?

http://www.michigancitizen.com /default.asp?sourceid=&smenu=9 6&twindow=Default&mad=No&sdeta il=&wpage=&skeyword=&sidate=&c cat=&ccatm=&restate=&restatus= &reoption=&retype=&repmin=&rep max=&rebed=&rebath=&subname=

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 2891
Posted From: 141.217.173.155
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit politics are about to get busy by late September. GO HENDRIX!!!

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 895
Posted From: 68.255.167.168
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, this story simply hurts my head trying to think of the logic behind it.

Here are a couple of examples:

quote:

Any citizen that can tolerate a Freman Hendrix dodging questions about his gold dome dealings with Comerica, Waste Management, and partners under federal investigation must be hoping for their own payoff of some kind.

Funny - they include that blast against Hendrix, but nothing against Kilpatrick.

Personally, the fact that the police no longer show up when I dial 9-1-1 is an infinately more important than any financial dealings that Hendrix may have had or how many Lincoln Navigators Kilpatrick bought.

But, as I skim through the pages of the Michigan Chronicle, I never see any articles about that.

Why is that?

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1205
Posted From: 69.246.117.31
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cost of the full page ad in the Chronic placed by the kwamester: $15,000.

Endorsement of KK one week later by this "Voice of "THE" Community": -0- .

Integrity and ethics: priceless.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4034
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank, it's the Citizen, not the Chronicle. Saw you make the same mistake a little earlier in another thread. Thought you'd want the heads-up.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 905
Posted From: 69.212.50.157
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops!

Thanks for catching that one, Aram. My apologies to the everyone at the Michigan Chronicle for mixing you up with the Citizen.