Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Kwame Dedicates Campaign Event to Katrina Victims « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 970
Posted From: 69.212.47.144
Posted on Saturday, September 10, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mayor Kilpatrick's re-election campaign sponsored a street fest in Brush Park last week and dedicated it to the victims of Hurricane Katrina. No donations were accepted to benefit said victims; it was a dedication in name only.

I'm wondering whether this seems more like:

(a) the work of a dedicated leader who is concerned about these victims or
(b) a desperate, tacky ploy by a political hack who knows that his campaign is in serious trouble.

Personally, I'm leaning towards option b but I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 979
Posted From: 69.215.247.131
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Note to Editor: Please ask viewers NOT to bring donations and or other resources to this event.

The above is direct quote from a press release that the Kilpatrick campaign sent out and was the basis for me starting this thread.

Since then I have received a series of emails from someone with the Kilpatrick administration, insisting that donations were in fact accepted at the event.

I don't have a way of indepentantly verifying that donations were accepted. I just know that they sent out a press release telling people not to bring them and that a staffer told me they were collected.

I'll leave it the Kilpatrick camp to explain why they issued a press release telling folks not to bring donations to the event.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1840
Posted From: 67.38.19.225
Posted on Sunday, September 11, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FN, Channel 4 (or one of the other stations, I can't remember) made a brief mention of the event, and as you said, also mentioned that donations were not being accepted. (B)

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 2884
Posted From: 69.217.228.135
Posted on Monday, September 12, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love how Kwame came into Sterling Heights and welcomed Katrina victims like it was his city and his doing. "Yeah come on up, we got hotel rooms in Detr...I mean Sterling Heights."

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Detroit offers housing aid to Gulf Coast evacuees

By Judy Lin / The Detroit News

It hasn't worked out yet, but Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick says he is still trying to make good on a plan to turn hurricane victims into new Detroit residents.

The city told the state last week that it can accommodate up to 500 families affected by Hurricane Katrina, partly by handing out federal housing vouchers for seniors and low-income families.

Kilpatrick said the city is assessing its plan and has been working with various agencies to find shelter. The mayor initially said he hoped to get airlines to fly victims to Detroit for free. However, his staff indicated that hadn't happened by Monday.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/me tro/0509/13/A05-312582.htm

Fnemecek I would have to agree with you on (b). Think that they (KK crew)are just talking loud and ain't saying nothing!!!

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, September 13, 2005 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did see the Detroit Fire Department out yesterday near Wayne State collecting donations for the victims of Hurricane Katrina. But, I am sure they were accepting the donations on the behalf of the DFD and not KK.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7333
Posted From: 64.228.197.51
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK...the scumfuck of Detroit! What an asshole.