Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Race still divisive in mayoral campaign « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 787
Posted From: 216.78.33.16
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Race still divisive in mayoral campaign

September 14, 2005

BY PATRICIA MONTEMURRI
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER
http://www.freep.com/news/poli tics/race14e_20050914.htm

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 1838
Posted From: 70.225.118.1
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some Kilpatrick supporters portray Hendrix as a pawn of white suburbia. On blogs and radio shows, they've referred to Hendrix as "Helmut," the first name given him by his white, Austrian-born mother. (His father was an African American who met his mother during World War II.)

No wonder they attack him as not "black enough." LOL

I think I should email this article + Black Slate email to my racial politics professor back at school. He's gonna shake his head. LOL

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3077
Posted From: 141.217.173.171
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix may come from biracial background, but I don't put race as a matter to politics. So Far Hendrix is incredible support in the Detroit city unions and other black Detroit and Hispanic neighborhoods. So for he outbeat the incumbent mayor by 11 points; a first time in 70 years. And Hendrix is on his way as the man who has plan to save Detroit from recievership.

Erichp77
Username: Erichp77

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 68.79.116.52
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought it was a cheap article myself. It's just a cry for help by some folks that need to be put in a nursing home. Hey, I can think of plenty of folks in the suburbs that need the same treatment!

Mrhowes
Username: Mrhowes

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 216.207.147.79
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot believe it. I left Detroit 10 years ago, and still the attitude of some african americans living there is if someone is black enough to be mayor. How dumb is that???? Forget his political stance....forget about what he wants to do for the city. Shoot....if a person is not 100% black, acts 100% black, he simply cannot be mayor.

I think Bill Bonds was right, last one to leave (Detroit) turn out the lights. Oh wait...seems the lights don't work anyway. Great job Kilpatrick.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1003
Posted From: 68.255.239.106
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some Kilpatrick supporters portray Hendrix as a pawn of white suburbia. On blogs and radio shows, they've referred to Hendrix as "Helmut," the first name given him by his white, Austrian-born mother.

I don't think this is really a matter of race, per se.

Folks in the Kilpatrick Camp know that they can't win on their record so they have to resort to nonsensical things like this in order to have any chance of retaining power.

Luckily, I think the majority of Detroiters are smart enough to see through it.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 545
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" Some Kilpatrick supporters portray Hendrix as a pawn of white suburbia. On blogs and radio shows, they've referred to Hendrix as "Helmut," the first name given him by his white, Austrian-born mother. (His father was an African American who met his mother during World War II.)"

Interesting this is getting thrown in Kilpatricks face NOW. For MONTHS it was the McPhail people throwing it at hendrix.

Anyone notice a pattern here? Anyone challenging hendrix is the enemy of the press... hmmm.. let's think now...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7331
Posted From: 64.228.197.51
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Racism at it's ugliest. Why? Because one parent is white and one is black. I guess white folks don't have the market cornered on racism. Seems that Detroit also helps with the divisive segregation as well...go figure on it's futility!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3085
Posted From: 67.37.84.166
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat is that why you choose not to live in Detroit because,

quote:

Detroit also helps with the divisive segregation as well

I guess if you believed this of an entire city then it would heavily influence where you choose to live. Perhaps your own community is a virtual utopia in comparison.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1850
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, I notice a pattern. Some of McPhail's (so-called) die-hard fanatics were simultaneously shilling for Kilpatrick and now that she has been disposed of, your band of mercenaries has devoted your full dishonest energies to Kilpatrick. Rest assured, you are assisting in the sinking of Kilpatrick's campaign the same way that you helped to destroy your first candidate, McPhail.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1062
Posted From: 24.172.45.2
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - Maybe we realize what a fake piece of crap Freman is? We know what KKs faults BUT the sad thing is you all seem to think Freman is basically a god who will deliver Detroit from it's death throes...get real he is just a crook to...hmmmm worth millions but was a public servant all his life but for a couple of years in the private sector. CLOSE family member is a convicted crook....when are you all going to wake up and smell the coffee and realize they are BOTH crooks. Put them on equal ground and make them work for our vote. Instead a bunch of you fools and you are the leader of the pack just want to roll over like dogs and show your belly to Freman.

Goat

Post Number: 7337
Posted From: 64.228.192.41
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is Brian and I choose to live where I do because my FAMILY lives here. Did you forget to where your helmet before banging your head against the wall again?

I guess you can't refute facts Brian...go figure on you obsession where folks live! Nice spin.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3095
Posted From: 67.37.83.3
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its spin if I quote you Goat? I just wanted to make sure you labeled the entire city in your statement above, I guess by your stand behind it you have.

Goat

Post Number: 7353
Posted From: 64.228.210.3
Posted on Friday, September 16, 2005 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the shoe fits. Or how about "it's a two-way street."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3109
Posted From: 141.217.173.163
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So far the White suburbantopians have a strong support to Hendrix. While KING KWAME has none thanks to his slandering debate issues. If the suburbs did participate in the Detroit elections, Hendrix will win by a landslide in 2 minutes.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 69.212.122.222
Posted on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old are you little Danny?

"If the suburbs did participate in the Detroit elections, Hendrix will win by a landslide in 2 minutes"

This line sounds like something from 3rd grade.

This is attack Danny week for me.

later - naturalsister