Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » The REAL Story Behind the Council of Baptist Pharisees..er..Pastors' Endorsement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 66.238.170.40
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apparently, what has been reported in the newspapers today about the endorsement of Kwame Kilpatrick by the Council of Baptist Phar..er..Pastors really only scratches the surface of how it really all went down.

According to callers who are on the council on today's Inside Detroit radio show, here's the rest of the story:
1. It took 4 (FOUR) attempts at voting for the final totals to be announced. Why did it take so long? Allegedly, council president Bullock (sorry, I didn't catch his first name) was taking calls from the voting room while at the pulpit to get updates on the voting totals. The voting was delayed while--allegedly--Kwame supporters on the council made phone calls to other members and supposedly non-members for them to get to the meeting and vote.
2. In order to vote, members' dues had to be paid first, if they had not done so already. Amazingly (ha!), many of the Kwame supporters attended their first meeting in months and paid their dues that very same day.
3. Allegedly, some non-ministers were allowed to join the council and vote by paying their dues.
4. Allegedly, Kwame supporters paid the dues of other members yesterday (dues are at least $100).
5. In what might be the most damning allegation--which, incidently was confirmed by a Pastor Hatcher who called in to defend the Council)--a member of the Council brought up the by-laws, which state that in order to be considered for an endorsement, a candidate has to be a member of local church. He asked what church that KK belonged to, and Bullock responded that when he was interviewed by the council earlier, KK told him "I'm currently looking for a church." IN OTHER WORDS, HE DOES NOT BELONG TO A CHURCH. The council went on with the vote ANYWAY.
6. When asked by Mildred Gaddis what the council does other than endorse political candidates, Pastor Hatcher responded that it is a group for fellowship and to galganize together to do things for Detroit. He said that they are doing hurricane relief efforts right now. Mildred then asked him what have they done for the city before that. The only thing he could come up with is that they have helped people with housing.

If the council wants to LEGITIMATELY endorse Kwame, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the endorsement coming from very, very questionable efforts as a result of questionable ethics of the leaders and some members of this supposedly Christian group.

I feel sorry for the legitimately moral pastors who are on that council, because the image of religious leaders in Detroit is being tarnished by the shady (and that's the NICEST way I could put it) behavior of the other people on the council who have to gall themselves Men of God.

Matthew 16:23. But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 69.242.221.113
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...and the Helmutites rose up in anger lest they be forgotten and on the seventh day rested after defeating the Kwawmeites.

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pastors, Preachers, Priests, Popes, Pimps, Prostitutes,Parasites. All the same. I wish I could say that their endorsement isn't going to matter, but the fact remains that their congregations are so brainwashed that they usually follow what the preacher says. Totally unable to think for themselves. It's evident in the amount of money that they shell out to these losers every Sunday, and many of them unable to pay their bills, but they make sure to tithe that 10% every week. Preachers living in mansions and church members struggling. A liquor store and a church on every corner. No wonder this city is damned!! What ever happened to separation of church and state? There's no room for politics in the Church if you're doing what you should be for the members and the community.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 605
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's pretty good posting. I am sure that most of those preachers don't even live in Detroit.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3075
Posted From: 141.217.173.171
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said to unto them WOE TO THOU HYPOCRITES! FOR THOU HAST CLOSETH THY BOOK OF THE LORD. AND YE PASTETH THINE UNGODLY WAYS INTO THE SONS OF SATAN!

Council of Detroit Black Baptist Pastors or any Christians don't have spritual duty or right to tell the church to vote or provide any advice for any political candidate. All Christains MUST vote according to their principles and the let the Lord be the ultimate JUDGE on their fate.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3076
Posted From: 141.217.173.171
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1honey,

That's right 55% of Detroit Black Preachers live in suburbantopia.

1honey

Post Number: 607
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I kind of figured that I was correct. I wasn't surprise about this endorsement to KK. Were you?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 4796
Posted From: 68.61.197.236
Posted on Wednesday, September 14, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does the Bible really say, "pasteth?"

Cletus
Username: Cletus

Post Number: 1234
Posted From: 12.75.30.55
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's in the Book of Elmer. Look it up.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 1634
Posted From: 66.167.210.168
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Pasteth", as in Copieth and Pasteth. What is so hard to understand about that?

Really though, hasn't Miss Flow has to have earned one of those bygone UrbanTiki Perfect Posts™

quote:

Preachers living in mansions and church members struggling. A liquor store and a church on every corner. No wonder this city is damned!!

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 1635
Posted From: 66.167.210.168
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the topic at hand, it sounds like Kwame and machine are finally waking up, kind of like Bush after Katrina. Give KK his dues, this is a coup no matter how you try to spin it, and votes will come with it.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray!!! Miss_Flow. I couldn't have stated that summation any better myself. How bout lunch sometimes so we can discuss these issues. Maybe we have some other common interestes!!! :-)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1005
Posted From: 68.255.238.100
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wish I could say that their endorsement isn't going to matter, but the fact remains that their congregations are so brainwashed that they usually follow what the preacher says.

Somewhat, but not really.

Yes, some of the preachers have been bribed to support the Kilpatrick camp. After all, this is how Mayor Kilpatrick made it passed the primary.

However, I doubt the Hendrix supporters will start pushing for Kilpatrick just because of the Council's endorsement.

When one considers how far behind Kilpatrick is, I doubt this will have very much of an impact. The Kilpatrick camp simply doesn't have enough money to buy off everyone that they'll need to in order to get re-elected.

1honey

Post Number: 610
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agree, I really don't think that their endorsement matters to their congregation. I don't understand how they can preach about doing the right thing to the congregation and then turn around and back this dude.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I guess, if Freeman had gotten the endoresement then it would have been "legitimate" ?????

1honey

Post Number: 611
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I don't think so.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 170
Posted From: 64.79.86.206
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix could not have received that endorsement because one of the rules is that the person who receives the endorsement must be a member of one of the Council churches. Hendrix is a Roman Catholic and a member of Christ the King parish.

I imagine that he didn't even try!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 7332
Posted From: 64.228.197.51
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Religion has NO PLACE in politics. Weasels!

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 69.221.73.198
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pastors, Preachers, Priests, Popes, Pimps, Prostitutes,Parasites. All the same. I wish I could say that their endorsement isn't going to matter, but the fact remains that their congregations are so brainwashed that they usually follow what the preacher says. Totally unable to think for themselves. It's evident in the amount of money that they shell out to these losers every Sunday, and many of them unable to pay their bills, but they make sure to tithe that 10% every week. Preachers living in mansions and church members struggling. A liquor store and a church on every corner. No wonder this city is damned!! What ever happened to separation of church and state? There's no room for politics in the Church if you're doing what you should be for the members and the community.

--------said perfectly...

my MIL is the same...broke azz hell borrowing money from my hubby but tithing to a man who has 3 business and 2 cars and 2 houses

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3083
Posted From: 67.37.84.166
Posted on Thursday, September 15, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How those who support Helmut are so angry about an endorsement that they claim is not that important.

quote:

Yes, some of the preachers have been bribed to support the Kilpatrick camp. After all, this is how Mayor Kilpatrick made it passed the primary.

Strong words. No one demanded proof. I guess it because its from a Helmut supporter. Perhaps the proof was carted away in the debris of the ML. Or maybe someone left it in the BC before the DDA decided to stop spending money on a development plan that will never happen. Maybe it'll be found in the MCS like some sort of time capsul.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1310
Posted From: 4.229.9.79
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No it's because some folks on this forum have more "believability" than others, and that includes KK supporters as well as FH supporters.

And also when people start being smartass jerks against an entire group of forumers, they lose a lot of that believability.

When folks get into a pissing match against one or two fellow forumers, it's probably just tempers flairing. But when folks disrespect an entire group of forumers, they not only lose credibility, but also believability... that's why they then get called on the carpet for proof.

When people do use "group ad hominem" attacks, it not only shows that they have never taken a debate or logic class (because if they had, they would avoid the ad hominem fallacy), but it shows immaturity as well.

(Message edited by gistok on October 19, 2005)

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Freman will win anyway.....