Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Kwame calls out Freman - debate me weekly! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone see FOX2 this morning...Kwame held a press conference asking Freman to debate him WEEKLY until Nov 8th!

he said "no running, no ducking, no hiding"

Do you think this is another Kwame aggressivr strategy...now that he has heard from most media outlets that he won the debate? Do you think he is using is orator skills to try and turn this thing around?

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1404
Posted From: 68.74.29.92
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course he wants to debate as often as possible. That is his strong suit. Comcast channel 10 is rerunning the last debate constantly.

"He's losing in the polls. He's a desperate man, a desperate candidate."
Cathy Nedd

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 36
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found an article

Weekly mayoral debates sought

Kilpatrick draws line for Hendrix
September 20, 2005

BY MARISOL BELLO
FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick has challenged his opponent, former Deputy Mayor Freman Hendrix, to a debate each week for the next seven weeks until the November election.

"If you want this job ... don't run, don't hide; stand up, answer the questions and let's debate," Kilpatrick said Monday evening as he threw down the gauntlet in front of the Spirit of Detroit statue.

In addition to the debate last Thursday at the Detroit Economic Club, the candidates have agreed to two other debates: one on WDIV-TV (Channel 4) on Oct. 17 and one on WXYZ-TV (Channel 7) Oct. 20.

Kilpatrick said he also has accepted invitations for debates on WWJ-AM (950) and WJBK-TV (Fox 2).

He said he wants Detroiters to have as many opportunities as possible to hear the candidates on issues that matter to the city and their visions to improve it.

Hendrix's campaign spokeswoman, Cathy Nedd, said after the primary that Hendrix and his campaign team decided he would do three debates. She said the candidate continues to meet residents through town hall meetings, home visits and neighborhood canvassing.

As for the mayor's challenge, she said: "He's losing in the polls. He's a desperate man, a desperate candidate."

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 68.42.170.57
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cant believe he is paying for this.

(Message edited by eastside on September 20, 2005)

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 629
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Talking loud and ain't saying nothing", maybe he should work on that BUDGET. WEEKLY!!!

Only in Detroit...

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you...he has time to debate on a weekly basis but can't show his face at the council table and release the budget for the fiscal year that has passed!

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1108
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey I am all for lots of debates. We need more - Kilpatrick was right (I heard it on NPR this morning) that people need to be informed voters! I want to hear what they both have to say.

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe Kwame is doing this for two reasons. First he is comfortable in the debate setting and is a pretty polished speaker. It plays to his strong suits which includes being able to communicate well and articulate a strong message. Second, it is pretty common for candidates that are trailing in a race to want to debate as much as possible.

Without the debates he doesn't have a very good chance of winning re-election. What does he have to look forward to without the debates. Going before council next week and explaining how he's yet to finalize a balance budget for this fiscal year which started nearly three months ago? Or his ever evolving police reorganization plan that will result in probably additional police layoffs? Given his record and the current state of affairs it is wise for him to want to debate weekly.

I think Freman would be crazy to accept and I don't believe he will. The next debate is not until Oct. 17 which is nearly a month away. Without any significant movement by Kwame in the next few weeks the race could be well on its way to being decided by the time of the next scheduled debate. Kwame's fundraising is hurting big time and he'll be limited in his ability to match Freman's media spend.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 631
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good post Detbest. I don't think that the Hendrix camp is going to agree with a weekly debate. They are scheduled for 3 and that's it. I think if you want to know more about the candidates, you need to do some research or attend a debate. Everyone knows that KK is a great speaker (that's what sold me 3.5 years ago), but some of us know that he is not a great producer.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1037
Posted From: 68.255.242.226
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

thank you...he has time to debate on a weekly basis but can't show his face at the council table and release the budget for the fiscal year that has passed!

Amen!

Other things I'd like to see him do on a weekly basis:
* Figure out a way to get cops to show up when I call 9-1-1;
* Answer the 3-1-1 phone for a couple of hours (heck, somebody needs to start doing that);
* Spend some time paving the streets (in an hour or two, he his campaign staffers should be able to fill in the sink hole on my street).

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ITA, Freman will not accept any more debates...no need to...unless they agree to only debate one subject per debate, its pointless...it will be the same 6 questions asked over and over...

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 198.208.160.27
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame is also running out of money. These debate would most likely be carried on T.V. or radio. Kwame will be aable to get his message out without spending a dime.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 68.79.118.206
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, if Kwame actually did his job properly for the last 3+ years, he wouldn't have to plead for a weekly opportunity to explain away his failures...

My thoughts are in agreement on the monetary aspect. KK has effectively shut off the taps of suburban money, and is facing the possibility that he may actually lose the majority of the black vote as well as the general. I expect quite a few more race cards and mud cards to get played before this is over, and even some blows to land.

Remember, Freman can win without the majority of black voters ala Archer; but if KK loses the majority of the black vote as well, that could hurt his future political career. He's young, and even if he loses this he'll come back somehow, some way.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1203
Posted From: 4.229.72.172
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and even if he loses this he'll come back somehow, some way."

But at least it won't be "right here, right now!"
:-)

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 41
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, the coffers are dry...you are right...this is another way to attempt to get air time. We'll see how many more press releases and announcements come out of the Mayor's Office every week for the next 2 months

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 225
Posted From: 68.79.118.206
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget the weak-like-seven-days spots on Channel 10, Kwamevision... I mean city access.... it's really over the top in politically slanted programming with every other spot seeming to be "Mayor Kilpatrick This" and "Mayor Kilpatrick that.."

My suggestion: How about the city save some money, and the mayor, instead of putting "Mayor So and So" on everything just say "Owned and Operated by the people of the City of Detroit."

I think it's immensely self-serving (although great for name recognition) to have the mayor's name on EVERYTHING. Talk about something to increse pride of the every day Detroiter, and be an outreach to the people that their government actually works for them.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ITA Digital...

for example, the Detroit Zoo and the water tower sign...I never liked that at all...

esp since he intend to cut city funding from the Zoo

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3113
Posted From: 67.37.84.140
Posted on Tuesday, September 20, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember, Freman can win without the majority of black voters ala Archer;

intersting how Helmut supporters try to downplay the racial makeup of the voters, will any of Helmut folks attack this assesment?

Why is Helmut so bad at debating? Your personality shows through during public speaking. Its when you connect with your audience. Helmut does better under controlled circumstances, much like Archer. Helmut is not a people person. That is bad in Detroit which is why Helmut is advised to stay away from KK.

But if what Helmut was saying was so true, it should be easy for him to get up across from KK and talk about how much of a crook KK is. But it seems Helmut can only do so from behind a microphone out of sight and out of reach of the mayor. Does KK scare him? OR is he afraid KK might say something similar to the crack about his wife at the last debate? He should let KK say all that because in the end it should make KK look bad and make Helmut appear 'nice'.

Bindetroit
Username: Bindetroit

Post Number: 1212
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After the Naigator debacle, His Kwaminess promised to meet with the Press weekly. How many mondays did he actually show up? Single digits. So now he wants weekly infomercials with the local stations picking up the tab? With his lack of credibility, it's a wonder that they eb\ven report KK's challenge. (For any positive press, He's lucky to have bought the Michigan Citizen's journalistic integrity when he had even that little pit of pocket change).

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 68.252.4.22
Posted on Wednesday, September 21, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Kwame's political career here in Michigan is all but finished. However, he is still well thought of nationally. If you think about it, He doesn't need to hold a polictical office to advance his career. I predict Kwame will be named president of the National Urban League by the end of next year. Their current president, Mark Morial, is an even bigger star in the Democratic party than Kwame. Look for Morial to challenge for one of Louisiana's congressional seats.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1127
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Thursday, September 22, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it will be Hendrix as President of the Urban League...I have a feeling KK will win by a slim margin.