Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit City Council Election Super Thread » Gender Matters: Will the next City Council be balanced ? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2190
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As it stands now, if the primary numbers held up, the next city council would again be 7 women and 2 men.

Does this matter? I have heard people say that there were too many women on this last council. Do you agree?

Should the council be more balanced, say 4 men and 5 women, or should this even matter?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 923
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want 9 people that have a clue on the council. The council is unbalanced because you don't have enough people that understand finance and business in general. To many social workers.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1170
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchant I agree with you to some extent - however, the council's main purpose is as a legislative body to write and implement legislature. While I agree that busines is good - I would like to see more attorney's on the council. With McPhail exiting we will not have any attorneys on council and I don't believe any of the finalist are lawyers. BUT remember the Detroit City Council has little power - Detroit is heavily based mayoral form of government.

Thanks