Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Kilpatrick Numbers Finally Moving Up? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 1729
Posted From: 66.167.59.184
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While listening to Craig Fahle's interview with Nick Hood and Desiree Cooper on WDET this morning, muck mention was made of the race tightening. A reference was made to a WDIV poll show the Hendrix lead dipping to 10 points and the undecideds to 6. Still a long way particularly with such a low undecided number left. But movement the movement, it true, is very significant because I think a lot of Hendrix's support is soft. Any confirmation of these numbers?

Other interesting tidbits included:
- speculation that constant media hammering on KK could be perceived as overkill leading to a circling of the wagons to defend 'one of our own under attack' and redound to his benefit.
- endorsement of KK by a federation of some 800 Detroit Barbershops.
- the growing mudslinging contest which is sure to grow. Will it stick or backfire?
- KK's charisma edge over Hendrix and
- discussion how this .

I agree with the consensus that this is too close to call and still is Hendrix's to lose but time for a big comeback is also very short.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1455
Posted From: 68.73.55.127
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"800 Detroit Barbershops."
it was 80, not 800, and this reeks of desperation. Whoever even heard of this group before?

Anybody that did not think this election would tighten up was only fooling themselves. Which is why the Hendrix volunteers are working just that much harder.

Hendrix for Mayor 2005!

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 196
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the Federation of Shop Owners supposedly numbers just 80. I have my doubts about this group. I bet it was just organized! Why ever would beauty and barbershop owners create a federation? How likely is it that they would pay dues to an org with no reasonable professional agenda? Way too easy to make up an endorsement when the group is very fluid and probably has only two or three real shop names behind it.

I bet the barber shop on the west side where KK purportedly met with a woman not his wife for an extended period in the backroom is one of the top names on the list of endorsing members of this group. This endorsement is a laugh.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1306
Posted From: 67.101.190.144
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not laugh to hard. Kilpatrick met with a number of people last week who were undecided or leaning his way. And he stated that new polling numbers are showing he is increasing in the polls. People are beginning to realize that Hendrix is an "empty suit" and there is not much there. We aren't stupid in Detroit and we are realizing that why change horses in mid-stream for a worse horse.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 120
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So the police, fire fighters, and EMS all support Hendrix, but Kilpatrick just got the all-important "barbershop" vote. LOL! And Kwame supporters try to play this off as a victory.

Since Hendrix has the endorsement of the teacher's federation as well, maybe Kwame will counter will the influential "nail and beauty salon" endorsement next! I heard the "pimps and hos" federation will announce their support of Kilpatrick in the coming days as well.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1307
Posted From: 67.101.190.144
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah all those endorsements add up to about 3,000 people who actually live in the city. REMEMBER that. I would rather have barber shops endorsing me with folks who live here than the unions who have had most of their members flee to the suburbs when Archer/Hendrix allowed Engler to take residency requirements away. Coleman would never have allowed those Uncle Toms to do that!

Southwestmap

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another version of the Barbershop endorsement - this from Detroit Uncovered:
"In an effort to give life to his campaign Mayor Kilpatrick entertained 565 beauticians and hairstylist this week at the Manoogian Mansion, they dined on finger food, catfish and chicken fingers and were given a pep talk and ask to carry the message back to their customers. He answered questions and provided his version of the truth. This event was followed Tuesday by 70-80 clergy at the Manoogian where they had more of an upscale meal unlike the hair stylist. They too were given a pep talk and ask to carry the message out to their flock. According to reports half the room were not hard Kilpatrick supporters."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3277
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH! His numbers is still doing down. I warned everyone since 4 years ago. If you choose KING KWAME. Detroit will be doomed forever.

Recievership here we come.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3278
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was right from my first prophecy. Now behold wait til my prophecy comes true.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1237
Posted From: 69.212.231.103
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ilovedetroit, Archer/Hendrix did not pass legislation that eliminated the residency rule here in Detroit, the state legislature did, and Governor Engler signed. Remember, this impacts all cities in Michigan not just Detroit.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 112
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 8:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard the Barbershop Lobby contributed millions to KK campaign!

What a crazy endorsement.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 141.213.52.151
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, was the Mayor in the legislature at the time?

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 765
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it me or does this "endorsement" wreak of desperation? C'mon...barbers and beauticians??? What the hell??? I am so tickled...

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Is it me or does this "endorsement" wreak of desperation? C'mon...barbers and beauticians???"

This coming from a poster named Shave! It must be a sign!

(Message edited by sharmaal on October 10, 2005)

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3147
Posted From: 67.37.83.141
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why ever would beauty and barbershop owners create a federation?

A viewpoint of the Helmut club. Is condescension a rule in Helmut's campaign?

Jmil

Post Number: 1458
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes - it is Rule #3

Rule #1 Hendrix is never wrong, he is perfect and our savior
Rule #2 If there is any doubt the Hendrix is not right, see rule #1

We are stepford volunteers. Guaranteed to follow all the rules.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 767
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal,

Thanks for pointing out the irony of my previous post. It made me laugh!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1311
Posted From: 68.40.226.188
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee...being endorsed by the police, firefighter and teacher - what do they have all of 3000 people living in Detroit these days (thanks Archer/Hendrix for letting Engler take our residency requirements away)...OR barbershops where 95% of the people live in Detroit. I can tell you which I would rather have!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 8966
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Monday, October 10, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The race is tightening up? LMAO Yeah, just like the grassroots came out on election day for McPhail. Hendrix will win by about 20%, anything less and I will be shocked.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only natural the race would tighten as the election gets closer.But the last poll showed Hendrix 51-32-17 lead, Kilpatrick would need get to all 17% of the undecidedd and 2% from Hendrix to pull off a 51-49 upset. Does anyone really see a 19% swing taking place?

Even if take you the 5% error into account and make it a 46-37-17 race, Kilpatrick still needs 14% of undecideds to win 51-49. Getting 82% of undecideds to swing your way is a tall task. Obviously, if you give that error to Hendrix, Kilpatrick should get an early start on his packing

I see a 57-43 Hendrix victory

(Message edited by eric on October 11, 2005)

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of how silly an endorsement from barbers and beauticians may appear, it actually could turn out to be pretty important for Kwame. The city of Detroit is called the hair capital of the world among African Americans. Detroit is predominately Black, and say what you want about us, we get our hair done every week. Women and men have gathered for conversation at the beauty shop and barber shop forever to discuss sports, relationships and .....politics. What better way than to get your message out through barbers and beauticians that have your ass held hostage in a chair for hours. Kwame's trying to get support where the blacks go. Barber shops, Beauty shops, and churches.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is a good point Miss flow, it might have been better accompished more quietly than annoucing the support of the Barbershop Federation.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do you all have a problem with Barber and Beauty Shops...it seems everyone has something smart to say about them. Like Miss Flow said, Detroit is known for the hair capital of the world. You don't hear us cracking jokes about yall's tanning salons!

And just for the record, I am positive that the majority of those beauticians make way more money than any of you on this forum.

I really think there is some hidden racism in many of your comments above. Sad...really sad!

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1925
Posted From: 69.221.79.44
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit", again, you aren't exactly the best person to keep talking about residency (or anything else for that matter). Remember you originally claimed to be from Ferndale...among other things.

Jmil

Post Number: 1462
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, I'm making fun of it because it is funny.
Besides I'm for Hendrix, why would I celebrate it? I ain't gonna piss the barbers off, brotha still gotta get that cut after all of this is over. My barber has both a Hendrix and Kilpatrick sign in his window. I ain't said a thing while sitting in his chair. Hope he don't read this board. LOL

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 574
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RE-ELECT KILPATRICK 2005!

Alright I just had to do that.

(Message edited by quinn on October 11, 2005)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 336
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What does Relect mean?

Southwestmap

Post Number: 202
Posted on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well done, Susanarosa!