Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » REAL TALK - what do you want to see out of future mayor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 69.221.79.234
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

let me start this thread off by stating...

1. transperancy - we need to knwo what is really going on at all times

2. accountability - take your but to council EVERY MONTH and update us on the budget

3. SMALLER GOVT - sorry to my unionized city employess but I worked with you in the past...its time to eliminate the waste. Some city functions are happening OUTSIDE of the CAYMC and with reduced workers, all the essentials can be housed there

4. an authority to run city owned lots and property for sale - following the rules of Wayne County, these homes can be sold faster

5. wayne county to take over health dept...

6. increased city taxes for all those who work in Detroit...let's face it, the rebuilding starts somewhere and we cant expect property teaxes to cover those funds immediately

7. authority to run COBO - this way someone can FINALLY do some real research on why bigger convention centers DO NOT work out (fiscally) instead of the emotional argument of "we want a bigger convention cneter" - besides, do we really need to see ALL car dealers line of cars...hell I can go to the dealer for FREE

8. nusiance laws - i am tried of loud music!

9. NO MORE POLICE OFFICERS RUNNING RED LIGHTS AND STOP SIGNS; how dare youpull us over when you don't even follow the rules

10. MINI STATIONS re-opened; esp since this big city (sq mileage) only has 6 districts now

11. IMPROVED 311 system...follow the New York City model...AWESOME

12. URBAN FARMING - we need to use the vacant land for something...

13. NO MORE TAX BREAKS FOR BIG BUSINESS...and if they don't want to bring business here, let the small business owners create their dreams

what do you want?

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3316
Posted From: 207.74.110.239
Posted on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ideal Mrsjdaniels,

But I dissaproved #13. Detroit needs tax breaks for those who want to set up shop and build their megacondos and superlofts. The plan founded by Archer worked and Detroit is on a quick gentrified devlopment.

We need more than just mini stations. WE NEED COMMUNITY POLICING. Police officers that can the law into their own hands and stop ever perps in streets.

So far, my moles who were at the city council meetings have obtained other documents of their dilemnas. And present to local news media and its working really good to expose those who are exploiting city resources.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2015
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also disapprove #12, the urban farming. This is a city. This is not the boonies. If you want farming, put it out in the suburbs. We have valuable land in this city that can turn into new businesses, residences, parks and more. You build farms in this city: you're inviting wildlife and bugs back into the city. No way!

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4297
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 3:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If no one is doing anything with the land, and the pheasants are already there, farm away.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

farming is a good thing. I would prefer it to be incorporated with a Public park however. Not in the middle of the hood.

I also think the county would do a better job of running the health dept.

Chow
Username: Chow

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 69.136.145.251
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Many people have misconceptions about urban farming. It is not huge swaths of farmland, it is based on a community model and can also be urban in design.

Ltorivia,
Unfortunately many of the suburbs have less vacant land then we do. Farms are businesses and promote healthy eating. And I don't know where you've been but wildlife and bugs seem to be already prevelent in parts of the city.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 165
Posted From: 70.236.144.153
Posted on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Ltorvia.

Promoting farming in the city would be like giving up on the city. Let's build the city up. Let's create an environment where people want to build, live and do city things, not farm.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3320
Posted From: 207.74.111.76
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 8:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ltorivia485 is right. Detroit doesn't need urban farming. But it does need commity farming to help feed the homeless.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1350
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny - Wow I agree with you. I think community based farmins is a great idea.

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1800
Posted From: 65.31.69.174
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing:

A more efficient government.

If they could get more done with the resources they currently have their financial problems would be over because they would actually get the money all the tens of thousands groups and individuals owe them. They also wouldn't need to increase taxes to improve services. The improved services would get people to come back to Detroit. People coming back and less resources spent on small issues would mean this more efficient government would be better able to handle their larger problems and better control their image thus eliminating the problems with Cobo, DWS, crime perception, and State and Federal aid.

Time to hire some folks that do efficiency for a lving. Replace people that have been educated at Cass Tech with people that have degrees in engineering and other fields involving efficiency improvements.

Efficiency is the root cause; everything else is just symptoms of inefficiency.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 68.248.15.42
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

good dialogue...what else yall got...

and isnt urban farming - community farming?

we aren't going to build this city up with the old ideas of business/residents...we need to be more creative with ways to build up the city

The_aram

Post Number: 4341
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed. What is the difference between "urban farming" and "community farming" if both are happening in an urban environment?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1483
Posted From: 68.40.230.108
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hasn't this boring thread been run time and time again. I want Sharon McPhail...but I am voting for Kilpatrick as he is the best of my not so great choices.

The_aram

Post Number: 4342
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who asked you that?

Sharkskin
Username: Sharkskin

Post Number: 367
Posted From: 68.74.12.101
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urba...I mean, community farming doesn't need acres and acres to fill a simple need. It's a good way to get fresh food to poorer residents. It's also a good thing for city youth who might not be interested in sports.

I agree with what the intern said about efficiency. I don't think increased efficiency will solve all the city's problems, but it would go a loooong way. It seems everytime a department has some trouble, the city hired another layer of people to oversee the department instead of doing some firing and replacing. That definitely has to stop.

More interaction between police and neighborhoods. I'm not talking about patrolling, though that's always nice. I'm talking about things like neighborhood basketball and baseball games between police, firefighters and neighborhood residents.

Offer tax credits for city workers who live in the city. Slightly raise city taxes and continue to cut property taxes.

Set up seperate court for gun violence, like they have a seperate court for blight. That court is already starting to make improvements for the city.

Put Joe Harris in a position where his economic policies can actually have some teeth.

Set up a task force to deal with insurance rates. Crack down on false claims and car theft while simutaneously convincing insurance companies to lower their rates in the D. This is by far the number one reason more young people don't move into the city, in my opinion.

That's all for now. Gotta check out the baseball game on tv.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 141.217.46.39
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD - thsi thread isnt even about "who do you want" its about what you want...what things? not what person which really means "who"

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 68
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD - this thread isn't even about "who do you want" its about "what you want"...what things? not 'what person' which really means "who"

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point about Mini-Stations...

Hmm...didn't freman close them in the 90's? I don't know about you but I DO NOT want police officers taken off the street to man these mini-stations at all. You people bitch about police response times...with this idea more of them will be parked ON THEIR ASS in a seat, not in a car on the street waiting to help.

Mrsjdaniels...what a "transparent" post. At first mention of "transparent" in your listing I realized this is a thiny vieled "Freman is the Alpha and Omega" thread with Freloader talking point copied and pasted. Am I right or am I right?

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 319
Posted From: 69.216.111.215
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have another question:

Does anyone know why Archer never ran for another term? I know that Freman left one year early of the Archer term (even though he could have stayed another year). That really makes me uneasy. If he really cared for the city,talking about Freman, why would he leave? Makes me think that he was in it just for money. I'm sure he got a helluva job offer from that staffing company, and that's why he left. Is he really gonna be dedicated to the city? Is Detroit truly where his heart is? He really makes me nervous.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt--
I am sure at that point he knew that Archer would not run for another term, and a better offer came up to him...

He is obviously dedicated to the city as he has not fled yet and worked many years beginning at low levels of city government. The job offer was probably once in a lifetime and he had to take it. He obviously cares a lot about Detroit since he is running for mayor-an extremely stressful job, where he could probably be making more money elsewehre, or retiring and enjoying the rest of his life on the beach somewhere (he is 55), but hes not, he is here, trying to make Detroit a better place to live and visit...

Hendrix '05!!

(Message edited by motorcitymayor2026 on October 26, 2005)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1346
Posted From: 4.229.6.15
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think Archer was fed up with the "Call 'em out gang' who tried BUT FAILED to recall him from office. They not only tried to crucify him, but attacked his family as well (as can still be seen by the Michigan Citizen, a propoganda rag produced by some of these same Call 'em Out zealots).

As to APPOINTED officials quiting office, that happens all the time. It happens on the federal (very few presidential cabinet members stay the full duration of a presidents tenure), state and local level. Shave, I wouldn't read too much into that one.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1987
Posted From: 68.248.11.218
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whew, good thing Bratt is still "undecided".

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 320
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro:

You really need to get some business. Do you even have a job? I would guess not. If you do have a job, I hope it's a job where you do not have to deal with people cuz you would really suck at it.

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 69
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUinn...my post is hardly copy and pasted...I havent been on this board long enough or post enough to co-sign any other poster...

as i said in the earlier post, I do not live in the city nor can I vote in the city...honestly, I dont think either of the two men are what Detroit really needs...both are flawed to some extent and both cannot say that while they worked in city govt things were GREAT...

Freman and Dennis were recipients of EZ monies and Kwame took office at the time of that ending and the world econmies suffering...its not about what you have in front of you, its how you make it work...and both probably didnt make it work to the best of their abilities...

the whole reasoning for this thread was to see what ppl wanted, not WHO they wanted...SO dont come up in here trying to CLOWN ME

Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 70
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and when I say transparency I mean for ALL GOVT city council, mayors office, elections all that...

we dont need to FOIA everything to get some dayum answers...check City Council's wesbite...where are the minutes? you can go to Atl's website and get city council meeting minutes anytime you want