Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Are either candidates deserving of this position? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sporty
Username: Sporty

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.246.55.114
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well we all know Kwame has made a poor name for himself this term as mayor. There has been some benefits (new police and fire equipment, emergency system, downtown construction, building homes etc...) that have been masked by the party side of Kilpatrick that makes it to the newspapers and on newscasts. People say we need a serious mayor, but I seriously have a bone to pick with Freman about traffic lights and potholes. Potholes are damaging. And expensive. I like to have a nice lit street at night. And snow removal.. I can't remember the last winter as a Detroit resident that I did not get stuck on my residential street. Not to mention the school buses and the dangers that can occur with icy roads. If this man can't keep these city services in line, how can he run a city?

I'm stuck. Do we repeat a four year term of possible partying, spending taxpayer’s money and mysterious stories about things that happen at the Manoogian mansion? Or do we put the city in the hands of someone who couldn't keep his sole department up-to-date? Help.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1300
Posted From: 4.229.72.97
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sporty....(waiting any minute now for ILD and Brian to join another Hendrix bashing thread)... glad to hear that the streets are now clear of potholes and all the streetlights are on!!!

Are you the same "Sporty" that has been on this forum before? Your post count is back down to 1.

If not, welcome....

(Message edited by gistok on October 18, 2005)

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1158
Posted From: 69.219.102.195
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sporty, if Kilpatrick's only downside was his "party side", I'd vote for him in a heart beat.

The fact of the matter is that even though we have a new communications system for 9-1-1 but we have few police officers to respond. This, of course, is why the last 2 times I called 9-1-1 I was told that there were no officers available. It also does much to explain why DPD officers are almost unanimously against Kilpatrick.

In other aspects, we have new housing developments, as you mentioned, but fewer people are living in the city. I have no doubt the number of people who are moving out of Detroit is at least partially tied to a frustration over city services.

City services weren't stellar under the Archer administration, but they were a lot better than currently.

It all comes down to whether we want a party boy who don't get crab done or a mediocre beaucrat who will get at least a couple of things done.

This choice, by the way, also explains why Hendrix is up 10+ points in the polls.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 748
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City services weren't stellar under the Archer administration, but they were a lot better than currently. I concur with that statement.

I will say that at least Archer responsed to letters that I sent to him regarding police or whatever. I wrote a letter to Kilpatrick over 2 years ago regarding property taxes in the city and haven't got a response from the mayor or his office.

Another question that I've is where are these new buses? I travel west/east daily, I can't find them.

(Message edited by 1honey on October 18, 2005)

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1359
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sport - I don't see a need for a switch. I am not a big fan of either candidate, however, during my years in this city I was never fascinated by the Hendrix/Archer mystique. I did not get it. Kilpatrick has made mistakes (however, my ligts and streets have been fixed in the last year) - but after attending two recent meetings with him and mostly McPhail supporters I see where he intends to take us. He has vision and that is important to me. While not an avid supporter of him - I feel I can walk into the booth and vote for him without being sick. On the other hand - I just can't do it for Hendrix. I think he is doing his best to pull the wool over our eyes. I am AMAZED at the number of my friends that are shifting their support to KK (most of my friends are the under 35 set of white young urbanites) who just don't see vision with Hendrix OR really any substanance. I once used the term "empty suit" to describe him and I think it is an accurate term.

This past Sunday I was attending a fundraising event and a friend of mine asked me where I was leaning for mayor candidate (he lives in B'ham and owns a financial consulting company) - I told him KK. And he said "good for you"...I was surprised thinking hmmm older white suburban business guy supporting KK (not what I was expecting). He stated that he felt KK was the one to get us out of this mess (receiveship) that we have gotten ourselves into. He stated that alot of the problems we have are over spending in the Archer years. His company had consulted them to cut back then for the future but it fell on deaf ears. He stated that he is impressed with the financial knowledge and grasp for doing business that KK has. Also he has a fine financial group in the CAY. He felt that Hendrix just did not grasp the seriousness of the times during his 7 years in office.

Trust me - I never in a million years thought I would vote for KK - but I am and I feel it is the best decision for me and a city that I love and is home.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1129
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another ILD story but yet they all sound the same.

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1508
Posted From: 68.73.55.127
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am AMAZED at the number of my friends"
C'mon now ya lying, YOU AIN'T GOT NO FRIENDS.

LOL

1honey

Post Number: 750
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL along w/Jmil.

I am glad that I didn't get sick when I voted for Hendrix last Friday. I felt good.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1361
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are so nice. And you wonder why I get pissy on here sometimes. Well all of you can just go take a long walk on a short pier...last time I share my feelings with you boo hoo :-)

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1130
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"last time I share my feelings with you"

Only if that was true.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1363
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh please Merchant you love hating me. If I wasn't on here with some other realist you would never look at this thread.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1957
Posted From: 69.221.75.19
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I am not a big fan of either candidate, however, during my years in this city I was never fascinated by the Hendrix/Archer mystique. I did not get it."

--"Ilovedetroit" previously claimed to originally be "a Hendrix supporter that switched to McPhail". You also stated that "you would absolutely support Kilpatrick if McPhail lost".

"...after attending two recent meetings with him and mostly McPhail supporters..."

--Once again, you lose it with claims of "I was at an event".

"While not an avid supporter of him - I feel I can walk into the booth and vote for him without being sick. On the other hand - I just can't do it for Hendrix."

--Again, you previously claimed the exact opposite.

"I am AMAZED at the number of my friends that are shifting their support to KK (most of my friends are the under 35 set of white young urbanites)"

--Again, you lose it with claims about "your friends". Furthermore, you previously claimed to have "a wide range of friends from diverse racial/social backgrounds".

"This past Sunday I was attending a fundraising event and a friend of mine asked me where I was leaning for mayor candidate (he lives in B'ham and owns a financial consulting company)"

--Again, no dice on "I was at an event".

"Trust me - I never in a million years thought I would vote for KK - but I am and I feel it is the best decision for me and a city that I love and is home."

--Once again, that statement contradicts your previous statement during the primary that "you would absolutely support Kilpatrick if McPhail lost". And what about your original claim of being from Ferndale?

...Again, "Ilovedetroit" is proven to be a phony.

Citygal
Username: Citygal

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 12.75.30.233
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always been bothered by Christine Beatty. Why does KK keep her on his staff making $140 K + benefits when she has been nothing but an embarrassment?
I think it shows his poor judgment, she should have gone the way of Jerry O.
I do like Freeman's ideas about the Metro Park money. Detroit citizens have to pay taxes so part of that money should come to detroit parks. Freeman is the penultimate policitian. All the lights will be on and there will be a cop on every street. How - there is no money!!!
What ever happens I hope Beckman stays on as Director of Parks and Recreation. The parks have never looked better.
As you can see, I am still am still undecided.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 318
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question:

I have been hearing (not sure if it is true), but after the Archer/Hendrix Administration, the City had a $100 million deficit. Is this correct?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4343
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$100 million sounds awfully high...

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, the answer to your question is yes and no.

When Archer left office in January, he identified a projected $100 million shortfall for that year's budget. As you now, the city's fiscal year runs from July 1-June 30.

Each year the city is required to approve a balanced budget for the year. This budget estimates what the city's revenues will be along with projections for the city's expenditures. As the year begins to unfold, often times actual figures begin to differ from the original budget projections, thus creating a budget shortfall or "gap".

This was the case in Archer's last year in office. By the middle of the fiscal year, they were seeing that the budget that they originally had submitted as balanced, was now going to run a $100 million deficit. To his credit, Archer on his way out identified the budget shortfall, and gave Kilpatrick a suggested plan on how to fix the budget shortfall.

Note that currently under Kilpatrick, there are deficits from prior years (over $100 million) that haven't been funded as well as a pretty large amount ($150 million?) that is projected to be the current year's deficit. Almost four months into the fiscal year, Kilpatrick has failed to provide a balanced budget.

This is one of the chief reasons I personally don't support him being re-elected.

1honey

Post Number: 840
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You will probably get two different stories about Archer's budget (on the forum), why don't you search the internet and read some articles about Detroit budget during the Archer years.

A few that I looked up:

http://www.detnews.com/2001/me tro/0103/05/a01-195195.htm

http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily /1998/apr/04-14-98/news/news7. html

1honey

Post Number: 841
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, read Mayor's Budget Message to the Detroit City Council

April 12, 1999

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/bu dget/budgetmessage.htm

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 233
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, don't forget the "funded deficits" the deficits that were ultimately covered with borrowed funds - estimates are that the loans under this admin total $300 million. That money has to be paid back. As a matter of fact, the State says that Detroit can't borrow anymore. See this from the Mayor's 2005-2006 Budget address to Council:

"When I took office in 2002 we were handed a growing deficit of $75 million. We were able to close that gap.

The City spent the last three years closing budgetary gaps by issuing bonds. During the past two years, the City floated long-term bonds to cover short-term costs. Now that the city has used its credit to the maximum, it must finally face its structural deficit head-on.

The City’s deficits began with the budget for the fiscal year ended in 2003. The borrowing doubled each year as the true deficit increased each year."

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya'll blew it with Sharon...she would have been the best mayor in the city's history.

Freman failed for 7 years.
Kwame failed for 4 years.

I say kwame has 3 more years to fail before we boot his butt.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1345
Posted From: 4.229.105.250
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn, when are you finally going to realize that Hendrix was NOT mayor for 7 years?

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Sharon didnt have the chance to FAIL in office, because she FAILED in her campaigns

1honey

Post Number: 850
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AMEN!!!