Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » McPhail to endorse Kilpatrick: from Thugs to Hugs? « Previous Next »
MacPhail off her meds?Lurker10-19-05  3:08 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2245
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WWJ has announced that Sharon McPhail will endorse Kwame Kilpatrick for Mayor this evening.

So he has gone from being a "thug" to being the "best hope for the future".

How has such a reversal come about? What was the impetus for such disdain to convert to admiration?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4305
Posted From: 68.43.31.87
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A lifetime political loser who spent the past 4 years pouty-faced bitching about Kilpatrick, and now she's endorsing him?

Even Stevie Wonder can see through that.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 762
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where is ILD, come on sweetie with your response. I know that you have the inside scoop on this topic.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1131
Posted From: 150.198.150.245
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McPhail is an extremely irrational woman that has a deep hatred of Archer because she is so jealous of him. Hendrix because of his association with Archer means she hates him too. I’m sure her endorsement will mean nothing considering how unpopular she is in Detroit. Her endorsement will mean very little except for a couple of nut jobs that post on this forum.

1honey

Post Number: 763
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The guy is a thug. He's a bully," McPhail said of the mayor. "Basically, he's the kind of person that if you don't do what he wants, he's going to go after you."

Kilpatrick said "I think that the people who care about Sharon McPhail and who love her, we all really need to wrap our arms around her. She really needs some help."

Guess they kissed and made up!!!

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1132
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maype he promised her he would stop shocking her if she endorsed him.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like everyone else in the city of Detroit. We have one of two choices. We all have to look at our two choices. Good for you all that you have made your decision already. Great. But some have not. I find it really disappointing that whoever says that they are endorsing or supporting KK, they have been called all kind of names and it's okay. But when the shoe is on the other foot, it's not okay.

I wish we would all get out of the defense mode. That's not going to score votes. Same thing with the name calling...

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1513
Posted From: 68.73.55.127
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe he promised to share his award with her.
"The Sambo Sell-Out of the Year Award went to Kilpatrick." McPhail awards mayor with slur

C'mon Bratt, let us have our fun. I don't really believe any minds are being changed about the election due to our posts. Anybody that is still undecided ain't on this forum hanging on our every post, waiting on a great relevation.

If they are:
Freman Hendrix
for Mayor 2005!
Leadership that works

Jmil

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, I miss Brian, and this will definitely draw him out. He won't be able to resist.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1958
Posted From: 69.221.75.19
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if four failed attempts at public office and less than 12% of the mayoral primary vote didn't show the lack of credibility that Sharon McPhail has with Detroiters...only one tv news station (CH7) carries her "endorsement" press conference live, and then cuts her off less than half way through it.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1161
Posted From: 69.212.40.116
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother and I were watching the news when this was announced. His reaction, "McPhail endorses Kilpatrick? Well, there's a reason to vote for Hendrix."

LOL

I am so looking forward to November 8 (a.k.a., "Kwamen Moving Day").

Histeric
Username: Histeric

Post Number: 597
Posted From: 68.43.166.103
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't count your chicks before they hatch. McPhail's primary vote is about the same percentage as the undecided vote. It is still anybodies election.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1960
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Partially true ("about counting chickens before they hatch", but also recall exit polling showing nearly half of McPhail's supporters indicated that they would support Hendrix over Kilpatrick. Also recall McPhail's high negative opinion ratings that were balanced out by Napoleon on her ticket...then take into account Napoleon's (immediate) endorsement of Hendrix. It is Hendrix's election to lose, but he must keep up what he has been doing and not let up.

Bratt

Post Number: 297
Posted From: 70.227.219.115
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard that Freman left office with one year left to go? Is that true? And if so, why did he leave office when his term wasn't up yet?

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 69.242.221.113
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD must be at a secret Kwame/McFail meeting planning strategy, or at least know someone who is there.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1364
Posted From: 68.40.230.108
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freloader left a year early to work for Staffing Solutions...after he outsourced work to that company from the city (see)

www.whoisfremanhendrix.com

He then went there as CEO. He ripped off Detroit and sold off business. Nice guy.

I uderstand from a friend who was there that McPhail will be releasing her speech this evening I will post it.

Aram - Your stupid pathetic suburban rant is tiresome and immature thus reflecting your stupidity? Who did you know to get into U ofM.

Can't wait to see you Hendrix supporters crying. It will be a good day!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1365
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing that is so funny. You all just love to hate McPhail. Any chance you can you bring her down. You are all so scared that Hendrix will loose.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and here she is! right on cue....

The_aram

Post Number: 4307
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, let's run down Sharon's political career:

1993- Loses in campaign for Mayor
1998- Loses in campaign for Wayne County Executive
2000- Loses in campaign for Wayne County Prosecutor
2001- Wins seat on City Council, finishing near the bottom of the pack amongst the 9 elected.
2005- Loses in Mayoral primary, coming in a distant 3rd

What does she know about winning? Good thing Kwame's bringing her on board, he probably could use the advice on what comes next when you come up short.

It's also not lost on anyone that with the amount of public criticism she's lobbied towards the mayor, endorsing him at this point in the game is an act that is exactly as it appears- A toothless, unimportant sidebar to an already unimpressive political resume.

Go ahead, call me stupid. Say I didn't deserve to get into college. Keep lobbing idiotic barbs my way. I don't care. I think there's plenty of people out there who agree with me.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 68.79.119.111
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon McPhail was the third highest vote getter for the Council race in 2001.

Not a fan of the woman by any means, just the facts.

The_aram

Post Number: 4309
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hm. That's not what I remembered from the statistics I saw, but it seems the city website doesn't have election results from before 2002, and the newspapers didn't report the complete returns in their online editions.

Anyone have the exact numbers?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1305
Posted From: 4.229.105.74
Posted on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt, Hendrix didn't have a "term". He was merely appointed by Archer as deputy Mayor. Sorta the same thing as with the Police Chief, not elected, just appointed at the whim of the mayor.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1963
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I uderstand from a friend who was there..."

Sorry "Ilovedetroit" try again. Back to Ferndale my phony 'friend'.

...And I also seem to recall McPhail squeaking in somewhere near the bottom (7th place?) on the council.

The_aram

Post Number: 4310
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's strange- I spent a good half hour tonight trying to find the 2001 CC election returns. Couldn't find 'em.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1163
Posted From: 69.212.227.67
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_aram:
You should've just asked me, kimo sabe. I could've had them for you a lot faster.

In fact, in the time it took you to not find them, you could've hopped into the land yacht and brought a 6 pack of tacos from Tio's over to my place. It would've been a much better use of your time, in my humble opinion.

The results you were looking for are at:
http://www.detnews.com/2001/po litics/results/detroit.htm

Wcpo_intern
Username: Wcpo_intern

Post Number: 1796
Posted From: 68.32.91.122
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You are all so scared that Hendrix will loose."

Got me there. I just hope that if Kwame wins, the state will remove him after they have to takeover as a result of his lobster eatin, wife cheatin, SUV drivin, reporter beaten, high school hangin, hate driven bull.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1167
Posted From: 69.212.227.67
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't edit yourself so much, Wcpo_intern. Tell us you really feel about Mayor Kwame "Cops? We Don't Need Cops!" Kilpatrick.

The_aram

Post Number: 4311
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank, you itchin' for some tacos?

Coming your way.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 568
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How has such a reversal come about? What was the impetus for such disdain to convert to admiration?

no more council seat, lost bid for mayor, Ecorse isn't a big enough fish - needs a job, that's how

Miss_flow
Username: Miss_flow

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 198.109.44.2
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon McPhail finished 3rd in voting in the city council race 4 years ago, behind Marianne Mahaffey and Ken Cockrel Jr., well ahead of the other imcumbents. Miss McPhail has the right to endorse anyone that she wants to. She doesn't deny that her and Kwame have not seen eye to eye on many things, but she feels that he is a better option than the other candidate. No one critized Napolean when he endorsed Hendrix less than 24 hours after the primary. You all praised him for being a brillant man when I was witness many times to Benny talking about Hendrix like a piece of shit during the primary. Benny did not endorse Hemdrix because he likes him, he did it because Archer and Irma Clark told him too. I know this because Benny told me. His pay off was the job with Ficano. Where's Benny now? Getting paid.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9044
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh oh, we better look out for McPhail's "Grassroots" supporters who will show up on election day. LMAO

How funny, this woman boycotted Kwame for 4 years, accused him of trying to eletricute her, rolled her eyes at the city address one year, then didn't even show the following. Now she is supporting him? I was almost in tears I was laughing so hard when I heard the news. Maybe Kwame promised her a spot on his security detail.

This support changes nothing, McPhail's 11% of supporters will be split in half. As a fair majority of them voted for her because they simply dispised Kwame. There is no way in hell Kwame is gonna pick up her 11%.

THE PARTY IS OVER KWAME!

Miss_flow

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall from debate night, Hendrix had the nerve to refer to himself as "grassroots". That had me laughing. I don't think he begins to know anything about that group when the only eastside intersection he can mention is Mack and Bewick, because of Hansen Clarke. I haven't seen many "grassroots" Hendrix supporters pounding the pavement in the lower income neighborhoods. KK's people will hit the areas that others will be to afraid to go. It's a known fact that more people show up for the general election than the primary, so yes the "grassroots" people will be coming out. Hendrix will not get their vote because he has done nothing to show that he has a plan to make their lives better. He is Rosedale Park, Palmer Woods, East English Village, Sherwood Forest. He is not Van Dyke and Gratiot, Chene and Forest or Cadillac and Mack. He wasn't in his 7 years and he won't be as Mayor.

Jmil

Post Number: 1517
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

miss flow, sorry you are mistaken, we have been pounding the pavement ALL over the city. Speaking as one with some very sore feet.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot, she finished fourth. The late Brenda Scott was 3rd. However, when Scott died in 2002 McPhail became third in charge. Meaning that if MM and KC Jr. were not at the table, she acted as President. This fortunately only happened a couple of times.

An easy way to figure out what order they were voted in is to look at where they sit around the Council table.
MM
KC Jr.
SM
SC
ATT
KE (dec)
BRC
AB
JW

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 935
Posted From: 24.221.73.69
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, this endorsement surprises me and in the same respect, it doesn't.

As Supersport mentioned, why would a woman who had numerous run-ins with KK over the past four years throw her support toward him now? I don't understand it, unless it stems back to the Archer days.

However, the official announcement doesn't surprise me in the least bit. I've heard recently that McPhail has been quietly telling her supporters to vote for KK in the upcoming election.

Miss_flow

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil-- well I live in the Van Dyke and Forest area and have yet to see the tired feet of any Hendrix people. Come on over and bring Hendrix, perferrably on Friday night after the run to the liquor store. You may turn your nose up, but they are registered voters none the less. No literature has been given out in my hood for Hendrix. I think KK will have a better chance in getting these votes versus Hendrix.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 39
Posted From: 69.242.221.113
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The next time we see Sharon she will be running in the special election to fill MaryAnn's seat. You ready for that?

Jmil

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

miss flow, on fridays I do my own liquor run.
Hendrix is cool and all, but I gots ta get mine.

Why would I turn up my nose? I don't get it.
We roll every tues, thurs, sat, & sun.
You are welcome to join us. If you want literature, a lawn sign, information, or to drop off some epsom salts for my sore feet stop by any campaign office, folks in there will be more than happy to accomodate you.

Miss_flow

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homer--
I doubt that Sharon will run for Marianne's seat, but who knows. However, if she chooses to do so, she would win it.

Jmil--
The point that I attempted to make, is that my neighbors do not identify with anything about Hendrix. After they get there Friday night drink on, they will be more than happy to explain this and more to him. Thanks for the offer but I will not be joining in anything to support Mr. Hendrix. A yard sign in my neighborhood with his name would get my house firebombed.

Jmil

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

miss flow, I live on the east side. Despite what many want to you to believe, all Hendrix supporters/voters do not live in Indian Village, Sherwood forest, or the suburbs. On fridays I don't want to talk politics with anybody except the brothers. Christian Brothers on the rocks that is.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 141.213.52.139
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know, I really thought Sharon was a smart tough person who cared about Detroit. A little bit nuts, but heart in the right place. Oops.

Btw Miss_flow, does one only get to be grass roots if you spend all your time in worse neighborhoods? If you look at who's getting campaign dollars from where, most of Kilpatrick's money is large donations from Political Action Committees and rich people, while Hendrix has more smaller contributions. That's what a grass roots campaign is all about.

Besides, someone has to walk through Rosedale. Try it sometime.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1169
Posted From: 69.214.179.141
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss_flow:
So many things to talk about here. Let's start by clearing out the parts where you simply got your facts wrong.

quote:

Sharon McPhail finished 3rd in voting in the city council race 4 years ago...

Wrong, she finished in 4th place. http://www.detnews.com/2001/po litics/results/detroit.htm

quote:

I haven't seen many "grassroots" Hendrix supporters pounding the pavement in the lower income neighborhoods.

Then either you haven't been paying very much attention or you aren't going into those neighborhoods yourself. If you had, you'd see Hendrix supporters pounding the pavement and Hendrix lawn signs in the ground.

quote:

Hendrix will not get their vote because he has done nothing to show that he has a plan to make their lives better.

Wrong, again. He's talked about crime and the fact when you call 9-1-1, you're more likely to be told that there are no officers available than to get any type of service.

This is a fact that has been discussed numerous times on this forum and is very well documented.

quote:

A yard sign in my neighborhood with his name would get my house firebombed.

Then I suggest you move out of the suburbs.

I've seen Hendrix lawn signs in every neighborhood in this city. If you doubt me, name a neighborhood and I'll post photos from that area.

Miss_flow

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A grassroots campaign is not about where your money comes from but the people you represent. Usually they are the poorer residents in the city. Sharon McPhail was the grassroots candidate because she has made a strong effort to help the ordinary and common people in this city. That's what grassroots is all about. Hendrix might have taken their money, but it can't be based on anything that he has done but rather on things that they hope he will do for them. Rosedale Park, Sherwood Forest, Indian Village and such are nice places, but truly represent a very small percentage of people in the city.
You stick to Rosedale, and I'll stick to my part of town.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just because someone has a lawn sign in their front yard doesn't mean that the canvasser came through. I live 4 blocks from Benedict Arnold Napoleon, and yes there are a lot of Hendrix signs, most of these signs were here before the primary. BUT...on the other side of the road(we call it "the hood") There aren't any Freman signs in view.

Why is this

1. Either no one is voting for Freman or

2. No one came in the "hood" soliciting for Freeman.

I know thisn to be true, because my wife stays at home and the doorbell hasn't rang since the campaign began.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1171
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A grassroots campaign is not about where your money comes from but the people you represent.

Exactly, I couldn't agree with you more.

Of course, you might want to take a look at the campaign finance reports for Hendrix and Kilpatrick. Almost all of Kilpatrick's money comes from the suburbs - that's who he represents.

That's why he's devoted almost all of his energies to improving the areas that suburbanites visit, ignoring the rest of the city.

Hendrix's campaign, in contrast, gets some money from the suburbs but also gets the bulk of its money from small dollar donations from Detroiters.

quote:

You stick to Rosedale, and I'll stick to my part of town.

First off, I don't live in Rosedale Park. Or Sherwood Forest. Or Indian Village. Or any of those other areas.

I live in the rest of the city. Where I've seen drug deals and prostitution happen rampantly and the DPD not given the resources or mandate they need to do anything about it.

I live where street lights do get repaired when they go out, pot holes take months or years to get fixed and streets never get plowed.

I invite you to spend some time and then you'll understand why we'd be better represented with a Tickle-Me-Elmo doll in the Manoogian Mansion than with Kwame "The city is supposed to service me" Kilpatrick.

Jmil

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

B_M, Detroit is 139 miles. So sorry we have not made it to YOUR block yet. If you want my email address I will personally make sure you get literature and a lawn sign.

The Jefferson & Chene homecoming is on Sunday, October 23, 2005, 3:30-5:30pm. I will be meeting and greeting at the door. Stop in.

There is a rally every Saturday morning, starting at 9:30am. Come join us.

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't think he begins to know anything about that group when the only eastside intersection he can mention is Mack and Bewick, because of Hansen Clarke.

Unsolicited Mack and Bewick reference....I love it!

Broken_main

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way...how do you guys insert quotes in your post. It would help me out considerably

Dday
Username: Dday

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 65.209.165.170
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Use a tag.....[backslash]quote{}

\ quote{Your quote here}.....take out the space between the backslash and the word quote (I put it in so it wouldn't get formatted as a quote). Voila!

There's info in the Formatting Tips link to the left, too

Broken_main

Post Number: 315
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1145
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil I might be wrong but it would be tuff to hit B_M neighborhood because (I could have him confused with sombody else) but he lives in the burbs.

Miss_flow

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek--
I was addressing Rosedaleken's comment about walking through Rosedale Park. I don't know where you leave, but I've been in the same neighborhood since the Archer/Hendrix first four years. Snow didn't get plowed, lights were out, drug houses surrounded me, and grass in the vacant lots was high. Now, the vacant lots are cut, the lights work most of the time, the 4 drug houses around me are now gone, and the snow was plowed decently this past winter. I don't need an invitation to spend anytime in the hood because I'm dealing with it everyday.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was the fourth highest vote getter for the first nine months of her term, for the last 3 1/3 years she has been "basically" third.

But third or fourth is neither here nor there, it does show that lots more people voted for her (for Council) than any of ya'll would like to think.

As I said before, certainly not a fan, but the argument that folks don't like her doesn't necessarily hold.

I personally want someone from "the media" who supposedly created the electrocution story to run the tape of her accusing the mayor. That would be lovely. She's completely sprinkled in loser-dust now, and when KK loses she can kiss her Detroit political career goodbye.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1172
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Now, the vacant lots are cut, the lights work most of the time, the 4 drug houses around me are now gone, and the snow was plowed decently this past winter.

Miss_flow:
Where the heck do you live???

I haven't seen any of this near me or in any of the neighborhoods outside of downtown.

Susanarosa

Post Number: 369
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell, any drive down Alter this summer would have shown that the lots weren't being cut and the houses that were abandoned, structurally inefficient and open to the elements three years ago are still there! I remember thinking, "damn, that'd be a good place to hide a body, no one would find it for another 3 years!"

Miss_flow

Post Number: 29
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek--

As I said above, the Van Dyke and E. Forest area. Lots of vacant lots over there. A few blocks from Indian Village.

Miss_flow

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnmecek--
The biggest eye sore for me is an abandoned house next to me that is owned by this b****h in Bloomfield Hills that won't do anything about it. She wants to sell it for a high price, and all the windows are broken out and it needs a roof. I've talked to her and she's unwilling to cooperate because it isn't in her neighborhood. Of course she is paying the taxes on it.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This will truly be the kiss of death for Kwame. Who the heck would want her endorsement?
She must be off her meds.

1honey

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, the vacant lots are cut, the lights work most of the time, the 4 drug houses around me are now gone, and the snow was plowed decently this past winter.

You are blessed.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1308
Posted From: 4.229.72.68
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Miss Flow,

It's too bad that some folks don't organize little protest groups.... in front of slumlord owners houses (with signs and banners) whether in the suburbs or even in the city. This should be done for downtown slumlords, as well as those like your neighbor. I wonder if such public humiliation (in front of their own neighbors) gets people off their ass to do something with their neglected property. Sorta like a public "hall of shame".

Bratt

Post Number: 302
Posted From: 69.222.67.24
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall:

Sounds like you need some meds. Don't hate her cuz you ain't her!

I think I am coming to some very interesting data here. I would like to take a quick poll from the forum. It seems that many of you HATE, and I repeat HATE Sharon McFail. You have expressed that quite often. Hate is such a strong word, so I am a little confused. I know that none of you know her personally, so I think it is something else.

I personally think it is a race and gender thing. Yes, I said it. Yall can't stand a strong black woman and she intimidates you.

Admit it.....you bunch of little PU**IES!!! And that didn't stand for puppies.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1370
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bratt - This bunch of bitchy mostly suburban white pansies (accept for Jmil who is an Uncle Tom) all come on here and hate McPhail. No one likes to see a strong smart black woman and they want to bring her down. What are they so scared of? They all think they are Soooooooooooooooo liberal and cool cuz they live in Detroit. They only like it here so they can look down on those "less fortunate". Screw them all and all those foolish beaugie black folks who are voting for that fool Hendrix cuz he is so much more acceptable to their "liberal" sense.

Man that felt good to say!

The_aram

Post Number: 4316
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. we've got an Uncle Tom accusation.

When this election is over, will you go away?

Paulmcall

Post Number: 524
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly don't hate MacPhail. She's starting to remind me of a comment made about Hubert Humphrey. It was said you'd have to put a stake through his heart to keep him from running for office. I think she cares more about Sharon than she does for Detroit.
I'm not real crazy about Freeman but things cannot continue with the present administration.
Kwame is still in denial about the budget. How much can you blame on someone else after you've been in office for three years and done nothing about it?

Bratt

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How in the hell can you say that Sharon cares more for herself than the city of Detroit...when you have a mayor who is pimpin' the city big time....and an opponent who left office one year early so he could take a six figure job that he had just recently gave all those contracts to? Why did he leave so early...huh? If he really gave two shits about the city, he would have stayed...but maybe it was all set up already? Huh?

The_aram

Post Number: 4317
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He didn't "leave office a year early." He wasn't elected- he was appointed. It wasn't a held office- it was a job.

Get it right.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 803
Posted From: 172.185.195.9
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ilovedetroit,

Now that is some real shit you just stated. I love you for those words! You can be a pain, but when you are right, you are oh, so right!

Bratt

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Job or not stuper luper, he still left when there was one year left. That is the facts. Was he fired? Was he asked to leave? No, so as I see it he left and he had a job helping the city for another year. Guess he didn't give two shits about the city....just wanted to make more money.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1372
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He left his positin early AFTER he outsourced city jobs to Staffing Solutions...he then took a job there as CEO...doesn't that sound odd? Hmmm give them business then go and work for them.

Bratt

Post Number: 308
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's what I am saying. If he cared so much about the city, why would he leave when he had a job for another year? Sounds to me he is in it for the money. That really scares me!

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 69.242.215.232
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD,
don't you think mcphail could have just gone one without endorsing anyone? i think the fact that she endorsed someone she publically was at odds with makes the endorsement meaningless.

Are you also saying that Kwame never rode the convenient road? Or Sharon for that matter?

I'm not for outsourcing, but I'm not against it.

I'm also not for calling someone a bad leader and then endorsing them. She would have kept more credability by not endorsing anyone. Funny how Benny went the other way, I thought he was part of the power of 2????

I'm happy that people in the burbs are on this forum, it's good to hear everyone's opinion, and healthy.

p.s. i live in Detroit so the suburbanite jab is moot.

Bratt

Post Number: 309
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She can endorse anyone she wants to. I guess if she endorsed Freman everyone would be happy. This is an election people. There are two people running. There are two sides. You can endorse anyone you want to.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3173
Posted From: 67.37.84.11
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Such anger from the Helmut camp? They keep saying the election is locked up! Why would Sharon's endorsement even matter? Why would it even make sense to waste this energy?

Could it be because Sharon commands at least 10% of the vote even after the primary? On top of approximately 10% of actual undecided and it makes it a tight race.

What Helmut won't say, but other pollsters have said (who are not working for either candidate) is that its become impossible to poll in Detroit.

Helmut's exit polling was a floorshow and the polling companies are afraid to go door to door. Both candidates are polling people who have already said they will give them their vote. Its why they can't determine the exact number of undecided. But the pollsters insist its at least 10%.

Will they be correct? We'll see based on how angry Helmut and his people get.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1175
Posted From: 69.219.102.80
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anger? From Hendrix camp?

Sorry - we're not the ones throwing around Uncle Tom and "suburban white pansy" accusations. Nor are we the ones upset because people want basic city services to work.

Try this link, Brian: http://dictionary.reference.co m/search?q=denial

Broken_main

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jmil I might be wrong but it would be tuff to hit B_M neighborhood because (I could have him confused with sombody else) but he lives in the burbs

Merch...You are wrong. I have been a Detroit since 1966. haven't left yet. Possibly you have me mistaken for someone else. If you read some of my posts, you may be able to dinstiguish that I am a true Detroiter by the nature of my posts.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1148
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is right on the tread about being ashame because someone was moving out of the city you said:

"I feel the same way though, except that I am employed by the city. I have been searching for decent housing in a safe area. despite it being a buyers market I just can't seem to find what i am looking for in a house. so I am headed to the burbs as well."

True Detroiter indeed, live where you want but if you are moving out on KK watch I would think you wouldn't vote for him.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1149
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"No one likes to see a strong smart black woman" I would have no problem voting for one and not afraid of them either. Problem is strong smart black women and McPhail don't belong in the same sentence.

(Message edited by merchantgander on October 20, 2005)

Jmil

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

accept for Jmil who is an Uncle Tom

Uncle Johnny - Yes, Uncle Tom - BITCH PLEASE.

ILD, you need to live that Jack Daniels alone.
You really don't want to personally attack me. I am the nicest person you don't want to make angry. I don't play nice. Don't let the smooth taste fool ya. You don't agree with me, thats cool. Lets have some fun. Don't like Hendrix, have at him. Fuck with me again, and thats your azz. How is that for an Uncle?

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1439
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cute - a white man calling a black man an "Uncle Tom".

How about this: as a straight man, I think you are a screaming queen.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1151
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jmil, I wouldn't worry about what ILD thinks of you. ILD is irrational person that would best serve society in a padded room.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1440
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, my apologies to ILD for the comment. I feel like I have stooped to your level.

Looking forward to the election and this entire mega thread dying a quick death.

1honey

Post Number: 770
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Lurker not even worth it!!!

Broken_main

Post Number: 342
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I respect the opinions of others I do question the amount of name calling amongst all of the forumers. All of us Detroiters have a part to play in this upcoming election...and that is to cast one vote.

I really don't think that any of of should be subject to harassment because of ones decision. Let me first say that if any of my statements offended anyone, forgive me please.

We all have a tendency to take certain issues and take a side, on this forum. However to create threads that continue to bash a certain group of people because of their beliefs is just ridiculous.

I originally came onto this site to get some opinions on all of the candidates. I do like all of the topics that concern this city that we live in. I think there are some people that need to step out of themselves and take a look and see who they really are. I often find myself asking " I wonder what it would be like to have a conversation with this person?"

I have already made my mind up as to whom i will vote so I feel I no longer need to participate in the thread. Thanks to all of you for the experience. I feel comfortable in my choice for Mayor.

Whichever candidate wins the Mayoral election in November, I pray that God blesses him to do what is right for this Great city of ours. I pray that this mayor has what it takes to take a divided city and make it one again. He will surely have a lot to deal with and we, as a community will certainly have to do our part.

God Bless you all

Please remember that there are lots of people who just come here and observe what we are doing here on this forum. Some of them happen to be our children so please be mindful of our words.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 525
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Sharon cared so much about the city, how come she was in the running for that school post down in Florida in the last few months?
I doubt she'd be here for another winter if she got the job.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 805
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmcall,

If you found yourself unemployed, what steps would you take to secure employment? Would you remain in an area where the job market is less than forgiving? Would you ever consider a fast growing area in which the job market was a bit more forgiving?

Just wondering how you would weigh your options.

After the tech bubble burst in Silicon Valley, I witnessed numerous people whom absolutely loved California seemingly being forced to leave "home" simply because the job market was completely unforgiving. It had nothing at all to do with devotion or lack thereof...it was simple economics. People needed jobs. People had homes. People had families to support. People were forced (rather impulsively) to make a decision regarding their future well-being. Mrs. McPhail has served Detroit well. She owes Detroit nothing. Though she tried to change Detroit with her vision, many did not share in that vision with her thus her unsuccessful run at several public offices. She has nothing left to prove to Detroiters because they would not give her a chance. My prayer is that she goes somewhere whereas an employer will capitalize upon her obvious expertise, professionalism, intelligence, and experience. She will find an employer who will be very blessed, appreciative, and recognize her obvious gifts and skills.

***wondering if Mrs. McPhail is interested in consulting work***

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1386
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulmccall...Call her office and find out. She is very nice and very approachable.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 526
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not in need of an editor or someone who blows smoke at the present time.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1403
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

paulmccall - Again reading what is in the papers around here is a mistake...she told her volunteers at a All Volunteer Meeting that she looked into the position. That is it. What do you expect her to do? She doesn't have money everywhere. It is very well known amongst those who care - that she was caring for an ill brother up until he passed away (and his family) and that she shares responsibility for her mother who has alzheimers. She also just had a daughter graduate with a master degree and she ran in a campaign for mayor where I am sure she put her own money in. She is also a foster mother with four little girls that she supports. She needs to work...and she tells people that she is looking for a job come January. I get the impression she wants to stay here but if the right opportunity doesn't come along I am sure she will go elsewhere. But you will have to ask her that question.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1972
Posted From: 69.221.36.202
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry "Ilovedetroit" as you stated in the threads about Hendrix's daughther looking for a job..."there are plenty of jobs around here". Also note that given SM's advanced degree, finding a job in Detroit...or even the suburbs for that matter, should not be a problem.