Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » EVEN SUPPORTERS LABEL HENDRIX LEADERSHIP A “FAILURE” « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1366
Posted From: 68.40.230.108
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting Press Release.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Contact: Jamaine Dickens
October 18, 2005 313-283-2024

EVEN SUPPORTERS LABEL HENDRIX LEADERSHIP A “FAILURE”
Mayor Kilpatrick’s Assertions Mirror Sen. Leland ‘s Criticism of Hendrix

Mayor Kwame Kilparick is not alone in outlining the many shortcomings of Freman Hendrix, the self-proclaimed “operations guy” under former Mayor Dennis Archer.

Sen. Burton Leland, who has endorsed Hendrix for the highest office in the city of Detroit, describes his track record as a complete “failure.”

In written testimony dated March 28, 2001, Sen. Leland stood before the Michigan Senate and blasted the Archer/Hendrix administration for abysmal city services, of which Hendrix was responsible.

“. . .The city has experienced budget surpluses. The problem, my friends, is management, not money. Frankly, the city leadership is simply not responsive,” said Leland, who has reportedly contributed $34,000 to the Hendrix campaign through a political action committee. “A culture of arrogance and entitlement engulf the departments at the expense of service and responsiveness. In the last eight years, the number of complaints I've handled about city services has skyrocketed, and the city's response has dwindled. “

Sen. Leland’s more specific criticism of Hendrix’s operation failures include:

CRIME
“Police officers are undertrained and understaffed. We have one of the worst homicide closure rates in the country. Police abuse has led to lawsuits costing tens of millions of dollars. Amnesty International is investigating the Detroit police for possible human rights violations.”

DPW
“Even garbage removal is a mess. The streets are filthy. Alleys are impassable. City-owned lots are open air dumps. Neighborhood parks are no better--overgrown, littered, and unsafe.”

DDOT
“In Detroit, the bus system is a necessity. Our busses never run on time. Busses and drivers sit in the garage in need of parts--parts still sitting in a warehouse that no one can find. When the busses do run, they run on roads rated the second worst in the nation. “

FIRE DEPARTMENT
“The fire department is equally as bad. People have died because they didn't have working equipment to send, or the trucks failed to function, or hydrants just did not work.”

BUILDING AND SAFETY ENGINEERING
“The city's Building, Safety and Engineering Department seems to treat developers as enemies. They run into countless delays and red tape, unable to process the most basic permits.”

SNOW REMOVAL
“. . .of course, we all know about Detroit's "wait till spring" approach to snow removal.”

STREETLIGHTS
“Even simple street lighting fails to function. On any given night, a distressing number of street lights in Detroit's neighborhoods are dark--entire grids shut down and multiple blocks on major thoroughfares are dark.”

HOUSING
“Thousands of Detroiters need quality, affordable public housing. But look at Herman Gardens. Four years ago, families were evicted, and the complex was leveled. We were promised a new village with housing, services, and shopping. Four years later, all that remains is a barbed wire fence and a broken promise. The funds to develop this land sit idle in the bank while the tenants evicted are still homeless. “

Amid challenges from Hendrix, Mayor Kilpatrick has outlined these shortcomings as he has attempted to explain his efforts to improve upon city services. He said that Sen. Leland’s comments are timely considering Hendrix’s claim that his leadership works.

“Mr. Hendrix has said that I have distorted the truth about his leadership, however, his failures have been no secret,” said Mayor Kilpatrick. “Even those who endorse him today, in the past, urged them to move on for the good of the city.”

Full text of Sen. Leland’s Senate Testimony is Attached

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1367
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And the full text. Remember how bad it was? And Freman "WAS THERE"...remember he was the "operations guy"...I remember my streets being a mess and no lights. Hmmm I got them under Kilpatrick.

No. 27
JOURNAL OF THE SENATE

Senate Chamber, Lansing, Wednesday, March 28, 2001.

Statements

Senator Leland asked and was granted unanimous consent to make a statement and moved that the statement be printed in the Journal.

The motion prevailed.

Senator Leland's statement is as follows:
Mr. President, colleagues, I rise today with a heavy heart and to offer some remarks about my home, Detroit.

Eight years ago, Detroit was alive with optimism. We had just elected a Democratic president, the economy was beginning a boom, and Detroit was about to elect its first new mayor in twenty years.

I jumped on this bandwagon. I was the first legislator to support Dennis Archer's bid for mayor. He promised a world-class city by the year 2000, and I was convinced. I stand before you eight years later to admit that I was wrong. Dennis Archer's tenure as mayor has been a failure.

Most of you never see the real Detroit. You hop on the expressway and ride the concrete canyon to downtown, take in a play or a game, and return. But a new ballpark does not make a world-class city. A world-class city is marked by the vitality of its neighborhoods and the strength and diversity of its economy. By this standard, Detroit is no world-class city.

For a city to thrive, basic municipal services must be delivered, consistently and efficiently. Not a single department in Detroit comes close to this standard. Take our police force. Police officers are undertrained and understaffed. We have one of the worst homicide closure rates in the country. Police abuse has led to lawsuits costing tens of millions of dollars. Amnesty International is investigating the Detroit police for possible human rights violations. Even simple street lighting fails to function. On any given night, a distressing number of street lights in Detroit's neighborhoods are dark--entire grids shut down and multiple blocks on major thoroughfares are dark.

Thousands of Detroiters need quality, affordable public housing. But look at Herman Gardens. Four years ago, families were evicted, and the complex was leveled. We were promised a new village with housing, services, and shopping. Four years later, all that remains is a barbed wire fence and a broken promise. The funds to develop this land sit idle in the bank while the tenants evicted are still homeless.

But it's not just major developments that sit and wait. The city has title to over 40,000 parcels of land with no plan for redevelopment. On many of these lots sit houses in need of demolition. Again, state and federal funds have been appropriated, but the city simply cannot get the job done.

Even garbage removal is a mess. The streets are filthy. Alleys are impassable. City-owned lots are open air dumps. Neighborhood parks are no better--overgrown, littered, and unsafe.

In Detroit, the bus system is a necessity. Our busses never run on time. Busses and drivers sit in the garage in need of parts--parts still sitting in a warehouse that no one can find. When the busses do run, they run on roads rated the second worst in the nation.

The fire department is equally as bad. People have died because they didn't have working equipment to send, or the trucks failed to function, or hydrants just did not work.

The city's Building, Safety and Engineering Department seems to treat developers as enemies. They run into countless delays and red tape, unable to process the most basic permits.

And, of course, we all know about Detroit's "wait till spring" approach to snow removal.

Some claim that the resources are not there to tackle the problems facing Detroit. Nonsense! Detroit taxes itself at the highest rate in the state. The city has experienced budget surpluses. The problem, my friends, is management, not money. Frankly, the city leadership is simply not responsive. A culture of arrogance and entitlement engulf the departments at the expense of service and responsiveness. In the last eight years, the number of complaints I've handled about city services has skyrocketed, and the city's response has dwindled.

This has taken a toll. People are voting with their feet. Our current population as announced today--951,000 people--represents a staggering abandonment that continues unabated. Most of those leaving are middle-class families. Those that remain are people who cannot afford to move--the elderly and the poor.

Over the last eight years, I see nothing but missed opportunities. The economy boomed, revenues rose, but our city floundered. Look at the other major cities around the country. They made progress in the last decade, but not in Detroit. The responsibility for this failure must ultimately lie with our mayor. After eight years of mismanagement and missed opportunities, it is time for a change.

I understand that the mayor will soon be deciding whether to seek re-election. I urge you, Dennis, for the good of the city, retire. It is time for a new leader. If you choose to run, know that I will help lead the opposition. We are faced with two choices--give up or make a change. I, for one, refuse to give up on Detroit. I refuse to accept a city that fails to live up to its potential. I refuse to believe that our best days are behind us. I know we can do a better job, and we must do a better job.

By unanimous consent the Senate returned to the order of

Jmil
Username: Jmil

Post Number: 1530
Posted From: 68.73.55.127
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD has been to www.detroitdrums.com

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1368
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw just a friend who sent it to me Jmil. But it is good stuff. Remember all those nice things Archer/Hendrix AKA Mr Operations Man did for us. Of course all that he did between games of golf.

Jmil

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharon says Kwame sucks, then endorses him.
Leland says Archer sucks, then endorses Freman.

Tit for tat.

I imagine a new poll will be coming out soon.
We will see if any of it made a difference.

Good Night.

Jmil

Post Number: 1532
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah, I forgot.
YOU AIN'T GOT NO FRIENDS!
lol

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 303
Posted From: 69.222.67.24
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm his friend Jmil, and I am all that!!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Bratt...and you and I both have good taste! Maybe it is because we are both so pretty and smart!

Bratt

Post Number: 305
Posted From: 69.222.67.24
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You got that right baby! They are just jealous...they don't have any pretty friends. Just a bunch of old ugly people...but hey the world has to be balanced with the pretty and the ugly.

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3172
Posted From: 67.37.84.11
Posted on Wednesday, October 19, 2005 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leland said,

quote:

Even garbage removal is a mess. The streets are filthy. Alleys are impassable. City-owned lots are open air dumps. Neighborhood parks are no better--overgrown, littered, and unsafe.

Oops, he was talking about Archer/Helmut.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1176
Posted From: 69.219.102.80
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and now we all of that plus the cops don't show when you dial 9-1-1 anymore.

I'll take Hendrix over Kilpatrick any day. At least he gets one thing right, which is still better than Kilpatrick.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1314
Posted From: 4.229.150.93
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This thread went from politics to valley girl talk in record time!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1179
Posted From: 69.219.102.80
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, then, like, gag me with a spoon!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1378
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek- Good lord you and your 911 calls. Well I am sure if Benny Napoleon with his big ole ego is back on the job you will get your cop cars at your house when you call. How many calls do you make? Do you live in the Shit Town area of Detroit? I live in Woodbridge - which is a little dodgy at times but I have never called the police ONCE in all my years. Maybe they all think I am too mean...

Have you ever thought that maybe once Freman gets all his "mini-stations" opened that you will get less service? Think about it! If they are all in mini-stations who will be out patroling the streets? You know those 50 cameras he wants to put up won't do crap.

Bratt

Post Number: 310
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek:
All I have been hearing from you is this 911...every single day. So I am going to help you out. When you place a 911 call, all you have to say is "I think he has a gun" and they will come. Every time I have called 911 they have shown up in good time. I had to do this in the Archer days and in the Kilpatrick days...no difference!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1380
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA well I guess we know who is the smatest one here (no surprise to me Miss Bratt) :-)

Of course I have always said black women should rule the world! Well we count out Condoleeza Rice.

Bratt

Post Number: 311
Posted From: 69.216.99.117
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I truly believe that this race is going to be closer than everyone thinks. REAL Close...

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1384
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I AGREE!

Although I have more KK signs on my street than Hendrix now - two new ones today!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 572
Posted From: 64.12.116.195
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your lawn must be pretty cluttered by now ILD

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No only one sign. My McPhail sign has been retired to the garage...I would not want Benny Dick Napoleon's name in my yard along with her name.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1964
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"...Naw just a friend who sent it to me..."

--Nope sorry "Ilovedetroit". No one buys anything that you say, especially anything that starts with the above mentioned, "I attended an event...", etc.

This thread is PERFECT for you give that "you were originally a Hendrix supporter". Oh wait, that was another bogus claim of yours.

Good thing that you were..."impartial" ("for awhile"), "a mere McPhail campaign volunteer that handed out flyers", "not actively working for Kilpatrick", blah blah blah.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1391
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - You are truly one bizarre person. I am so glad that I give you reason to hate every day. The funny thing is you take all this so seriously. When McPhail lost - I recovered very quickly (what could I do about it), IF Kilpatrick loses I will be fine in about an hour. I think he is best for the city. And all will be well if he does not make it. If Hendrix wins I will live...won't be happy about it. I will have two George Bush's to deal with if it happens...but that is OK I read the NY Times and I can blot out the local news. My life is rich and full...you on the other hand will be a complete mess if your boss looses. I hope you have good friends around you for the suicide watch. Seriously Metro...calm down and control that hate!

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1182
Posted From: 69.212.43.83
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fnemecek:
All I have been hearing from you is this 911...every single day. So I am going to help you out. When you place a 911 call, all you have to say is "I think he has a gun" and they will come.

I tried that in August and it still didn't work. I was told that there were no officers available.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When McPhail lost - I recovered very quickly (what could I do about it)?

HEEHAW, No you didn't. You are still wearing that black dress and veil.

(Message edited by 1honey on October 21, 2005)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1968
Posted From: 69.221.36.202
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again "Ilovedetroit" you can't keep your stories straight. You originally claimed that "your street was full of McPhail signs (and that most SM supporters were now backing KK), some Kilpatrick signs, and a very few Hendrix signs". Now you're saying that "KK signs have surpassed the Hendrix signs". Again your stories contradict themselves. Nice try.

The real funny thing is that McPhail and now Kilpatrick were/are so desperate that they have to resort to having people on the internet, radio, etc. posing as "impartial" and/or "previous Hendrix supporters" that "switched" to their sides...yet these people are so bad at their act that they can't keep it up for more than a few minutes before they give themselves away as being phonies. Keep up the good work.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1400
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHAHAHAHA Honey...I do like you. You have a nice sense of humor. Black does become me...but I prefer to wear my canary yellow pant suit with my black hat and veil...it is so much more dramatic and I love drama and attention!

Wait .... do I hear Metro barfing with all this overt homosexuality?

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heehee, you go ILD!!!

I knew that you love drama.