Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit Mayoral Election Super Thread » Thursday Mayoral Debate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1167
Posted From: 68.42.168.234
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What were your thoughts?

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1168
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought this was allot better debate tonight. I also think I can say for the first time Hendrix won the debate.

Also I thought this was a better format excellent job channel 7.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much more civil (thanks in large part to the excellent job by ch. 7)....Interesting how Kwame claimed he would stop the bantering, although he is the one that challeneged Hendrix's "shady" deals....

I think it was a very close debate(Hendrix wins!), waiting to see others thoughts

(Message edited by motorcitymayor2026 on October 20, 2005)

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 69.221.74.55
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody know if/where this one will be on video on the internet?

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 68.40.230.108
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could you say that Hendrix won! He did do better but he TOTALLY lost it on the "shady deals"...then he went back to KK and said "you could afforded it to" ... come on the entire thing is shady. Hendrix got it as a pay off from his "legitimate associates" that is why he is so concerned about it.

As far as the rest of the debate they both did a good job. I personally think (no shocker) that Kilpatrick stuck to the issues very well. Hendrix's comments on nice things about KK were very snide and fake (then again so is he).

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

U_S channel 7 website will have the debate.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 69.221.74.55
Posted on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks yo.

Little_birdie
Username: Little_birdie

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 66.167.58.213
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK needed a knock out punch but ended up with a bloody draw.

Esteban
Username: Esteban

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 70.227.219.174
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me it's a no-brainer:
KilPatrick = Dead Belle Isle Aquarium
Hendrix = Reopened Belle Isle Aquarium

Sorry for having a single issue opinion, but there it is.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.242.215.232
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this was a decent debate.
the say 2 nice things question was a waste.
it was hendrix's best debate, not sure if either one. It's funny how Kwame's saying he didn't party but then he keeps appologizing. If the guy would have tweaked the budget slightly each year instead of all at once, he's probly win. But thats assuming he's learned his lesson about being a playa. And we know what assuming does...
LOL

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 573
Posted From: 205.188.116.201
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the say 2 nice things question was interesting - that answer will tell you a lot about a candidate because it goes against how they are usually thinking - note that Kwame couldn't come up with any answer other than 'I don't know'.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 141.213.66.60
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, I must be the only Hendrix supporter who didn't think he won this one. Some of his answers weren't the greatest, and Kwame managed to get the "high ground" when he momentarily started answering questions and stopped bickering. He really spent far too long talking about the land deals, and at inappropriate times as well. Too bad this is the last debate, hopefully this doesn't hurt Hendrix too much.

Lilpup

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't like him going back to that either Ken, but Hendrix's closing statement was a lot stronger than Kilpatrick's. Kwame was too heavy on the partying defense.

Dfdems
Username: Dfdems

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 69.212.225.78
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All in all I have to say it comes down to how well you follow the news in general. If you never pay attention to the news and what is going on in the city Kwame is your man. He is a lot better speaker than Hendrix and if you don’t have a clue it is easy to believe him right or wrong.

I think Kwame pushes the grass, snow and streets issue too much. It is almost like he is trying to take it to the lowest level and insult your intelligence. Great, we have 6 billion new parks. Hey the grass is cut and they will remove snow from my street. What about bigger issues like safe schools where kids learn something so they can go out and get a job or go to college? Safe streets anyone? Police not taking an hour to show because they don’t have enough. 71 mils for taxes? That doesn’t encourage new business.

Parts of the city are becoming parks, mainly through houses being burnt out and whole blocks are now huge yards. Check out Google earth and fly through the city on the east side. It almost looks rural in some parts. Parks don't help the sense of community when you don’t feel they are safe.

I also have an issue on Kwame’s stance with “public safety.” Great plan, great radios, on and on. Parts may be true but I don't think any recent administration has really done anything to solve it. The CAD system they had to upgrade, the same with the radios. You can thank the Free Press for all of the new vehicles the FD has after their multi part series on rigs that were 20 years old and some fires that people were killed in because equipment that should have worked didn't. The city didn't have a choice.

If anything I would be for Hendrix just because he mentioned us (EMS) which is rare unless someone really messes up these days.

Detroit EMS

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1390
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Esteban - I guarantee that Hendrix will not re-open the aquarium. I totally disagreed with KK for closing it. And when I had the opportunity to meet him I told him it was one of his biggest mistakes. However, don't put your thoughts into Hendrix opening it. I was a supporter of the aquarium (have give money)...but I never got the sense he would re-open. I felt he was paying lip service to obtain our support. I did not get the sincerity from him that I got from McPhail. She said on tape she would re-open...he has never gone that far NOR did he go that far at the debate. Unfortunately I think it is gone for a very long time until we are financially strong again or a corporate donor takes over...maybe the good folk with Save the Aquarium will get it all pulled together. But don't count on Hendrix...cuz it won't happen.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame couldn't find one nice thing to say about Hendrix? What an ass. Lilpup is right, that tells you a lot about the type of person Kwame is. At least Hendrix gave him one genuine compliment.

And why does he keep bringing up grass and snow and roads? Does he want a fucking medal for cutting grass? Does grass cutting and snow removal even make the top ten list of concerns for the average Detroit citizen? I would think it would be things like police protection, jobs, the budget shortfall, taxes, bus coverage, abandoned houses, schools, corruption in the city government, etc. But notice Kwame doesn't focus on these issues multiple times, because his track record on these important issues sucks ass.

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 12.172.207.3
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ILD, I don't think Hendrix will re-open it either. One thing I remember during the Archer/Hendrix administration.....I used to say it all the time...there were no working bathrooms at Belle Isle. I remember the bathrooms were so bad that you wouldn't even take your dog in them.

I also was pissed off that the parks were really bad under their watch. Wasn't part of Hendrix responsibilities was to oversee Parks and Recs?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1392
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off...people do care about grass cutting. TEN young african american women were raped in parks and pulled into tall grass during the previous administration and it was identified at community meeting as being a priority. Kilpatrick responding to those concerns of the citizens hired Lee Stephens from Chicago Park District to ensure that parks were mowed.

Secondly Kilpatrick has a tax plan which has been endorsed by Granholm and she stated she would approve it but it is caught up in political wrangling in Lansing. Mr Hansen Clarke is not helping it through then again he is supporting Hendrix - probably because Hendrix told the goof ball he would support him against Carolyn Cheeks Kilpatrick. Hendrix DOES NOT HAVE A TAX plan. He only says that he wants to bring taxes in line with Metro Detroit suburbs (he ripped off McPhail's statement about bringing taxes in line with suburbs, however, she had a tax plan that was endorsed by Tax Reform Organization for MI)...Hendrix really has no plans. His famous web site is full of other people's ideas.

Kilpatrick's tax plan does not benefit me and my hood BUT it is at least a plan and will lower rates for 80% of the citizens in the highest tax brackets.

CRIME

Kilptraick has modeled his police reorg structure around SMARTER not more. An old boss once told me that you don't through more people at a problem but ideas. Kilpatrick is leaning out the police dept., Hendrix wants to add to the bureaucracy. Mini-stations sound like a nice idea but they TAKE OFFICERS OFF THE STREETS. I want to see cops on the streets not manning stations.

AND FINALLY

Yeah, KK could have stretched and said something nice about Hendrix...but Hendrix really did not say anythng nice about KK. He just said he had a gift for gab...which was to remind voters that he says that KK can talk his way out of anything. Frankly I thought it was a stupid questions...this is not Barbara Walter "if you were a tree" bullshit.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1446
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

TEN young african american women were raped in parks and pulled into tall grass during the previous administration and it was identified at community meeting as being a priority.

KK said it was 7 (are you just rounding up for dramatic effect, ILD?), and I have not yet found anything to substantiate that. One is too many, but I had not heard about this until the second debate - does anyone have any idea if this is true?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1394
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lurker- Maybe I was wrong on the seven. But at my local town hall about a year ago or so...Lee Stephens came in and spoke about the grass cutting efforts it was a problem as one of the women had been raped in my neighborhood. I thought he quoted 10 - maybe it was seven. I am sure Kilpatrick's number is better than my memory. Regardless it is SEVEN TOO MANY.

Lilpup

Post Number: 575
Posted From: 66.89.12.30
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as if cutting the grass is going to prevent rape - that shows a lack of fundamental understanding of the crime

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it will take more than cutting grass...but it cuts down on places to hide and take your victims. REMEMBER what may not be important to you in your loft dwelling. Rosedale Park, or Sherwood Forrest existence is much different than those who don't live in the more fortunate areas of Detroit.

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1447
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know another place where children can be harmed? Abandoned houses. Do you think KK has demolished enough houses in his 4 years? He certainly hasn't done nearly as many as he promised.

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grass don't mean shyt. What about all these fvcking abandoned houses, that's not boarded up?

If he was cutting the grass every 10 days, why was there so many blue flower weeds growing all through Detroit?

Rouge Park is in Detroit, where are the working bathrooms there?

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1180
Posted From: 69.212.43.83
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Esteban - I guarantee that Hendrix will not re-open the aquarium.

ILD, you're full of it as usual.

Hendrix has made that promise too often and to too many people not for him to follow through with it. If there's one thing he's learned from working in the public sector this long, it's that braking a promise like that would mark him as a one-term mayor.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1181
Posted From: 69.212.43.83
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, ILD! I've always known that you were a Kilpatrick pawn, but in your desperation to defeat Hendrix, you've seriously lost touch with reality.

quote:

Kilptraick has modeled his police reorg structure around SMARTER not more.

So, why have the number of citizen calls to 9-1-1 almost doubled during the Kilpatrick regime?

quote:

An old boss once told me that you don't through more people at a problem but ideas.

Okay - so let's review.

A domestic dispute in my neighborhood turned violent last summer and someone tried repeatedly running over a pregnant woman in the street. I called 9-1-1 and was told that there were no officers available to respond.

In that scenario, should I have just thrown the IDEA of law enforcement at the jackass who was trying to run over his pregnant girlfried?

ILD - I used to say that you need to spend more time south of 8 Mile. Now I think you need to spend more time on Planet Earth.

The fact of the matter is that we live in a world that is torn between the chaos of crime and the civility that we all desire. All that stands between those stands between those two things, all that prevents the bad guys from destroying everything we hold dear, is a Thin Blue Line.

When it gets stretched too thin, we are all in for a world of shit - regardless of whether you mow the lawn once every 10 days or 10 times every day.

quote:

REMEMBER what may not be important to you in your loft dwelling. Rosedale Park, or Sherwood Forrest existence is much different than those who don't live in the more fortunate areas of Detroit.

Yeah, well, I don't live in a loft. Or Rosedale Park. Or Sherwood Forest. Or any of those other places.

In fact, as far as I can tell, those parts of town seem to be where Kilpatrick gets his biggest support so you might want to ease off on blasting them.

In my neighborhood, about the only Kilpatrick lawn sign you see is on the lawn of one of his staffers.

Everyone else is pretty much in the ABK camp because we're sick of the crime, the street lights not working (which makes EVERYWHERE a place to hide) and trash not getting picked up.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frnemecek - I rarely go norht of 8 mile I am an avid and strong supporter of Detroit - live in the Woodbridge area which is hardly high brow!

And somehow your post are always about your 9-1-1 calls that never go answered. I give up on you. From what I hear about you - you are a smart guy but when it comes to this you have a one track 911 mind. Still respect you but I just don't agree with you. AND I am no pawn of Kilpatrick or McPhail or anyone for that matter. I am a thinking individual, who reads 3 papers and who listens to NPR everyday. I know what happens in this city and who has done what. I am not a paid campaign ANYTHING. I voted for KK and I was against him until recently when my choice was Kilpatrick or Hendrix. I don't love KK but now that I have been to two of his meetings I have come to respect and understand him. I do trust Sharon McPhail's judgement and with my own sense and her endorsement I can live with Kilpatrick for four more years. With Hendrix I cannot stand 8 more years of Archer/Hendrix type government. I was NEVER a fan of Archer. I honestly don't know what he did other than develop downtown - shit did not happen in the neighborhoods, my streets, were never plowed, and my lights never worked, and my pot holes were not fixed. They are now under KK.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1970
Posted From: 69.221.36.202
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I rarely go norht of 8 mile I am an avid and strong supporter of Detroit - live in the Woodbridge area which is hardly high brow!"

"Ilovedetroit" please try to keep your bogus claims straight. That comment contradicts all of your other claims to have "attended campaign/social events" in Grosse Pointe, Ferndale, Birmingham, and Roseville among other suburbs...not to mention hanging out at Denise Ilitch's house in Northville and "seeing Hendrix speeding by you on I-696"...as well as you saying that you "briefly lived in Pleasant Ridge". And don't forget about your original claim of being from Ferndale. Keep trying!

"I voted for KK and I was against him until recently when my choice was Kilpatrick or Hendrix. I don't love KK but now that I have been to two of his meetings I have come to respect and understand him."

You're lying again "Ilovedetroit". To keep remindind you...you said several weeks before the August primary (back in July) that you "would absolutely support KK if SM lost".

By the way, why does the "girls raped in tall grass" claim keep changing? 5...7...now 10. Let's go for an even dozen.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - I am not even going to answer you anymore. It gets me no where. You are just too out there for words. Most of this stuff you just keep making up. Have a good life Metro. Take your meds, smile at least once a day, kiss the one's you love everynight (if there is anyone) and try to pet puppies and kittens more often.

au revoir my nemesis :-)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1974
Posted From: 69.221.36.202
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Caught again "Ilovedetroit". :-)

Warriorfan

Post Number: 147
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick keeps blasting the newspapers for their coverage of him.

Here's my issue with this, isn't it the job of newspapers to take our elected politicians to task, to hold them accountable, to let people know when shady stuff is going down? It's not the job of newspapers to kiss Kilpatrick's ass, and if he stopped surrounding himself with crooks and liars, then the newspapers wouldn't have anything to report.

Look at it this way, the newspapers requested PUBLIC RECORDS regarding how the mayor's office spends taxpayer dollars. Not only does Kwame's office not turn these documents over, but the newspapers have to SUE the mayor's office under the Freedom of Information Act to get access to these PUBLIC documents. Does Kilpatrick's administration turn them over? HELL NO! They fight it in court for TWO YEARS, and when the Kilpatrick Admin finally turns the documents over to the press, they aren't even complete. Many parts are blacked out. These are public spending documents, that show how the city spends YOUR taxdollars, and they are blacked out. What is Kilpatrick hiding? No wonder the newspapers hate this guy. This is a man that talks about "transparency", what a fucking hypocrite!

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix never even turned over his records and he has refused to give his tax returns for audit to. Sounds very un-transparent to me also! Probably too many cahsed checks from "friends".

Lilpup

Post Number: 576
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kilpatrick's administration also has a knack for losing records people would like to see, including records from past city administrations.

And don't you just love the way he keeps throwing around the name 'Harvard'?

(Message edited by lilpup on October 21, 2005)

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Much like Hendrix throws around the word Archer.

1honey

Post Number: 795
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No he doesn't. Kilpatrick does.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 570
Posted From: 172.167.148.37
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix did a much better job last night. His answers were much more concise. I dont think that Kilpatrick has much to run on besides cutting grass and all of the things that were in motion before he took over in 2002. The progress that Detroit has made has been stifled during the Kilpatrick administration. Nothing could be more evident.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He must be running on something cuz he is going up in the polls ....Channel 4 is reporting that he is now down by 4 points with a margin of error of 5 points. Hendrix is the one going down...I guess people are finally seeing that there is just an empty suit there!

1honey

Post Number: 797
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you have the Channel 4 poll?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1414
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit News said it in the editorial section today plus it is kind of floating about town in those who care about politics.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 255
Posted From: 69.246.107.67
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a big fan of polls__ I think they can be bias, depending on how you position the questions.

___ However I think Detroiters are starting to see thru Mr. Hendrix's pervasiveness. It would be best if he stays out of the public eye and let the 'lynch mob' media due is work.

Vote for Kwame Kilpatrick
super d(motordetroit)

1honey

Post Number: 799
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You do, don't play. Can you post the numbers that you hear floating about town?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the link from the Detroit News. Read the editorial about middle. A friend of mine who works in PR called and validated it.

http://www.detnews.com/2005/ed itorial/0510/21/A12-356272.htm

1honey

Post Number: 800
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I read that one in the detnews this morning. I wanted to see the numbers on Channel 4, thought maybe you had them, since you said that they were floating about town.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I have not seen them. Very curious though.

Dfdems

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are probably true, Kwame has a much better shot than a lot of people give him credit for I think. I personally hope he doesn't get re elected but I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he does. Actually, I might be more surprised if Hendrix won with the way the city seems to work sometimes.

I also think polls are pretty worthless sometimes. Are they registered voters? Are they voters who vote? Do they represent the cross section of actual voters within the city? There are so many unknowns that it is more of a tool for building hype surrounding the election than anything else.

Detroit EMS

Lilpup

Post Number: 577
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

found the website for the company WDIV uses - they typically only poll about 400 - 425 people. Seems a rather small sampling if you ask me.

and haven't WDIV's news broadcasts really taken a dive these last few years?

Warriorfan

Post Number: 150
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame needs a strong voter turnout among the "35 and under" crowd if he wants to win. Unfortunately, that's the demographic that tends NOT to vote in large numbers. Kwame has his work cut out for him if he wants to win.

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 68.73.206.89
Posted on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"WDIV-TV revealed that a new survey shows the race may be as close as 4 percentage points"

The key word in that sentence is "survey". If the latest polls showed Kwame down by 4 points that would be the lead story, not buried in an editorial.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Illumination event down town was great! I and some fellow KK supporters were taking polls all night and found a VERY strong show of support for the mayor! Only one not supporting (and he posts on here now i know who he is - and he is very nice in person)...great event. Looks like KK is doing very well in the urban hipster crowd!

Brian
Username: Brian

Post Number: 3176
Posted From: 67.37.83.248
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wow, I must be the only Hendrix supporter who didn't think he won this one.

quote:

Hendrix has made that promise (Hendrix will re-open the aquarium) too often and to too many people not for him to follow through with it. If there's one thing he's learned from working in the public sector this long, it's that braking a promise like that would mark him as a one-term mayor.

Many folks have said that Hendrix does not keep his promises. Time will tell. But this is one thing I would like to see re-opened. Other fish can be purchased. I would like the next mayor (Helmut?) to re-open ALL of the facility. Archer closed the last of it before KK closed it down. But it was all interconnected and quite beautiful.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1191
Posted From: 69.212.224.131
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And somehow your post are always about your 9-1-1 calls that never go answered. I give up on you.

One of the things that I learned while working for a certain congressman is that almost every voter in America is essentially a single issue voter. We all have that one thing that sways our vote for or against a particular candidate.

Sometimes its a stance on a certain issue (abortion rights, environment) or block of issues (the religous right).

Other times its a more ambiguous question, like who is a better leader.

In the end, almost everyone votes based on one question or issue.

My personal beliefs can be summarized by applying Abraham Maslow's "Heirarchy of Needs" to the public sector. I can drive around a pothole that hasn't been fixed, a series of porchlights can compromise for streetlights that aren't working but there's not much I can do when 911 isn't being answered.

Without it, in my opinion, there isn't much of point in the rest of government even exhisting if police, fire & EMS aren't showing up when a citizen calls 911.

quote:

Illumination event down town was great! I and some fellow KK supporters were taking polls all night and found a VERY strong show of support for the mayor! Only one not supporting (and he posts on here now i know who he is - and he is very nice in person)...great event.

I'm glad you made it out for Illuminate. The Hendrix camp came in towards the end of the evening with a couple of their people as well.

Did you make it up to the 4th floor to see the movies?

Brian

Post Number: 3179
Posted From: 67.37.83.200
Posted on Saturday, October 22, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek, another political hack in pretenders postings? Not a typical voter or resident. More of the Helmut supporters come out of the closet the closer they think they are getting to winning. If they don't make it they will all be outed and also be losers.

Why is it that so many Helmut supporters seem to have a personal financial gain tied into Helmut being the next mayor?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't make it to see movies...I had to leave for a dinner party.

With regards to your 911 calls - maybe that is one of our problems in this country - voting on ONE issue. I have never been that kind of voter. Although I suppose if I liked everything about Kilpatrick and he said all gays should be burned at the stake I would probably vote against him - but then again that is an extreme. Extremisn hasn't gotten too far in our country yet - although with four more BUSH years we may be there. Then again I equate Hendrix with being almost as bad as Bush.

Yes, ILLUMINATION (sorry for the error early) was very nice and I was very glad to see so many KK supporters.

Was one of the movies yours? Was it called Kilpatrick 9-1-1 - kind of a take on Bush 9/11 :-)

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1192
Posted From: 69.220.233.145
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Fnemecek, another political hack in pretenders postings? Not a typical voter or resident.

Yes, Brian. You're absolutely correct.

Typical voters and residents have absolutely no need for police or fire service. It's all just a ruse.

*sigh*

I really hope that everyone else who reads this posting has their sarcasm filter properly installed.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1193
Posted From: 69.220.233.145
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Was one of the movies yours? Was it called Kilpatrick 9-1-1 - kind of a take on Bush 9/11.

LOL!

Okay - Kilpatrick 9-1-1 does actually sound like an interesting idea for a future project.

I directed the documentary on the B-C that we showed clips of. (http://www.BookCadillacMovie.c om for anyone who missed the event).

I also did most of the lighting and some of the sound work for "The Passenger", which was the other film that we showed clips of.

Brian

Post Number: 3181
Posted From: 68.73.32.162
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fnemecek. it brings into view the reasons of your posts. You employ political tactics and not merely personal opinion in your postings. You post on the talking points of the Helmut camp created by the 'political hacks' but not on the things people have talked about in the community. Political polls have Crime being important, 25% of folks according to the data. But that is only if you believe in polls. Obviously Helmut does as he appears to be running his campaign via poll. Hence the 911 posts.

So why then is KK tied now with Helmut in the polls? Is it because KK's commercials on crime has hit home OR is it because folks are not as interested in crime?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1977
Posted From: 207.200.116.134
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once again "Ilovedetroit" your posting reports the exact opposite of something that actually happend. I was at the ILLUMINATE event with some friends and naturally the topic of the mayor's race came up. The crowd was overwhelmingly pro-Hendrix, with us only able to 'find' one Kilpatrick supporter (from the suburbs, no less).

As Fnemecek also reported, Hendrix sent some his people later in the evening, and one of them said that he wanted to attend as well, but that his calender was already full.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Sunday, October 23, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe that Metro would be even slightly cool enough to attend an event that had lots of homosexuals in attendance?

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1198
Posted From: 68.255.244.70
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Hence the 911 posts.

No, but thank you for playing.

The 911 posts came about as a result of my own personal experiences from living in this city. Of course, lots of other people have had similar experiences, which is why the issue ranks so high in the polls.

Dfdems

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 2:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it because KK's commercials on crime has hit home OR is it because folks are not as interested in crime

I don’t think people aren’t interested in it anymore as much as they are acclimatized to it. We get a lot of patients that say they don’t call because the police take to long to show up or they can’t do anything about it if they do. It almost seems like people have just given up and accepted less that what should be a standard across the board because they have gotten used to city services being that way. I just used police because it relates to crime BTW. EMS has its own issues to be sure.

With regards to your 911 calls - maybe that is one of our problems in this country - voting on ONE issue

I have to agree with some of the other posters on this. 911 is a basic service that all are entitled to. Rich, poor, black, white, old, young, on and on. As a citizen of the city can you honestly say that 911 works and works well all of the time? Maybe it has for you but how many people have you known where it hasn’t? There are many stories for all of them, Police, Fire and EMS. There are many causes, funding, training, staffing, etc.

The main point though is it isn't working the way it should. If my trash doesn't get picked up on Monday but does on the following Monday I would be pissed but I can live through it. When you call 911 because someone is coming through your window or Grandma isn't breathing you can’t wait until next Monday.

I can see why people would vote on this one issue. In fact, I can’t think of an issue that relates more to everything else within the city (schools, property values, insurance and declining population to name a few.) What better way to pick a candidate?

Detroit EMS

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1386
Posted From: 66.2.148.1
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this was Hendrix's best debate, I hate to see what the others were like.
My opinion of Hendrix dropped a few points, but I still plan on voting for him.
The closing remark could have been much more gracious...something like
" I think that KK is talented and bright, but maybe this job was too much for him."
He really didn't need to take any more jabs at KK, who come across as desperate for the last 6 months.

1honey

Post Number: 804
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He really didn't need to take any more jabs at KK, who come across as desperate for the last 6 months".

Yes he did need to take more jabs at KK. You should see the material that I receive at my home regarding Freman Hendrix. It is amazing.

Of course KK is desperate, he may have to spend his "OWN" money.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 1979
Posted From: 69.221.75.220
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" given your complete lack of credibility, not to mention your erroneous reporting about Kilpatrick's level of support at the Carlton event, I doubt your claims about the number of homosexuals at this event...not that that really matters.

By the way, aren't you the same person that said Hendrix's announcement that he was running for mayor was 75% White people, then you switched your story to 75% suburbanites. Of course "you were at an event..." Still can't keep your stories straight. :-)

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 225
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did KK say he was an attorney during this debate?

He is not a member of the State Bar of Michigan, so he isn't licensed to practice law in Michigan. You can look him up on the Bar website and find he isn't listed.

1honey

Post Number: 811
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think that KK said that since he has a law degree, he is smarter than HF.

I do remember when he passed the test because BK was bragging about how KK passed the law exam on the first try. Don't recall KK practicing law in Detroit, because I think that he became mayor that same year of passing the test.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, look at the website. He is not licensed to practice in Michigan since he is not listed. He does not have a license number.

1honey

Post Number: 812
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the link South?

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest,

I get this listing:
Kwame M. Kilpatrick - P60494

at the State Bar of Michigan web site:
http://www.michbar.org/memberd irectory/detail.cfm?ID=6043350 6%2D3635%2D16%2DDETAIL

How can you tell if a member isn't active?

1honey

Post Number: 814
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If his dues are current, wouldn't he be active?

Thanks for the link Ro_resident.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1449
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He said he had a law degree and he has passed his bar. Is it significant if he is still licensed to practice law i.e., meaning he let it lapse? Isn't renewal easy enough to do by taking a test or paying for a new license?

Southwestmap

Post Number: 227
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay!

My mistake. You guys cleared it up! You guys are great!

Bratt
Username: Bratt

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 70.225.217.133
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't you still have a law degree without re-taking an exam? All he said was that he had a law degree.

Brian

Post Number: 3187
Posted From: 67.37.83.148
Posted on Monday, October 24, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ro_resident cleared up an issue and dismissed a often used Helmut smear tactic.

Now it seems that those times Mildred said he wasn't a member, she was lying.

Is that how Helmut plans to get into office?

Southwestmap

Post Number: 228
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to say here that I have never heard Mildred Gaddis' show. I didn't know that she was saying that KK wasn't a member of the Bar. Last week I searched the same website that Ro-resident linked to (state Bar of Michigan) and, I swear, KK wasn't listed. Could he have just paid his dues based on Gaddis' prodding?

Detbest
Username: Detbest

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 67.105.255.66
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The State Bar listing on the web lists attorneys who have both passed the bar and have paid the bar dues for the current year.

Its a year-to-year thing for an individual attorney (who has passed the bar)to pay their dues and be listed in the bar journal.

A number of attorneys who have passed the bar may not pay their bar dues for a number of reasons. Some have left the state, others may be in state and not practicing law and choose not to pay the dues for that year.

KK has passed the bar. If he wasn't listed last week but was listed this week it could very well be due to the fact that he just paid his dues.

As a FH supporter, this is really irrelevant. Its all a pretty technical argument. One can be an attorney and yet not be licensed to practice law (if that makes any sense).

14 days and counting..........

1honey

Post Number: 827
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not buying the smear tactic story. I listen to MG in the morning. Her comments about these law degrees, (Bully-Cummings, Adams, and Kilpatrick)were that she wanted to know where they got their degrees from? Saying that they are not bright people. Never heard her say that Kilpatrick doesn't have a law degree.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1467
Posted From: 67.101.190.144
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mildred AKA Fat Heifer...is trying to counter-attack Kilpatrick's comments that show Freloader as not being too bright. He doesn't have the educationaly background that KK has.

1honey

Post Number: 829
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14 days!!!

Detbest

Post Number: 62
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't here Mildred's comments about the law degrees and really don't know what she's getting at.

KK got his law degree from DCL. Adams went to law school at Georgetown and practiced law for a number of years. Don't know about the police chief.

I remember KK making the comment in the debate. I was kind of surprised to hear it. Both KK and FH are smart people. I never once felt as if KK had some intellectual advantage over FH and his comments seemed to be implying just that. While KK has more formal education than FH, no one I know of has ever questioned FH's intellect or smarts.

Maybe when running against Gil Hill I could see such a comment by KK being applicable. Gil himself would probably acknowledged his lack of formal education.

Anyway, I'm not the devising KK's campaign strategy, just thought it to be a little wierd.

14 days and counting..........

1honey

Post Number: 831
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hendrix has a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration from Eastern Michigan University. Must be lil' smart.

Lilpup

Post Number: 591
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking about this after the debate - on one hand there's a school teacher/lawyer/career legislator (never actually practiced law,though) who has written policy, as he says, but has never run a business. On the other hand there's an experienced businessman who's also been in civil service. Which would you prefer having run the city?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 1475
Posted From: 69.39.80.144
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a bureaucrat who worked for a company and stated that he played golf all the time who owns a business with several other shady guys that is in bankruptcy hmmmmmmmmmmmmm I think I will take the smart non-practicing attorney.

Detbest

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you take the smart non-practicing attorney even if he had spent a lot of his time partying around the country, inappropriately used his expense account for food, alcohol and other personal expenses to the tune of over $100k, has run up deficits of historic levels, has failed to provide a balance budget for the current fiscal year almost four months into said fiscal year, has yet to say how he will finance the deficit from the previous fiscal year, had his on petty cash fund stolen by his own appointees and continued to improperly use the petty cash fund.....

Shall I go on?

1honey

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$21 million contract given to friend Bobby Ferguson

$280,000 for Manoogian upgrades

$7.3 million Crime Lab Purchase

$22 million Communication System

$13 million in penalties to IRS

$10 million lost in lawsuit to Police/Fire pension

$35,000 in food expenditure by Kilpatrick and no receipts

1,800 provisional employees (family and friends) hired through the back door

$24,995 of taxpayers money spent on Red Navigator

$140,000 for Deputy Mayor hire while threatening layoffs

At least 141 cases of unauthorized use of taxpayers funds

$4.6 Million in over payments to contractors

$200,000 stolen from petty cash

Whistleblowers Lawsuits

$160,000 in Credit Card expenditures for Trips, Hotels and Nightclubs

$333 Million dollar budget deficit

30 year Casino deal, that he didn't know what he was signinig.

$1 Million dollar Snow removal contract

Kilpatrick's delay on police, fire layoffs costs Detroit $5 million a month, auditor says.

Enough said...

I think that I would take the bureaucrat who worked for a company and stated that he played golf all the time who owns a business with several other shady guys that is in bankruptcy.

Mellodrama
Username: Mellodrama

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 68.41.179.85
Posted on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Truth: GM's managers are losing $17,000,000,000 a day plus 1.5 billion for the quarter. They should hire the Mayor to handle thier fiscal affairs it is obvious given the limits he has to navaigate with he should be the CEO of that lousy run vessel called GM...

Fnemecek

Post Number: 1204
Posted From: 69.212.226.57
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mellodrama:
To put that in perspective though, that loss amounts to roughly 5% of their annual revenue.

There's also the fact that GM is still making cars and GMAC is still writing mortgages. If Mayor Kilpatrick was able to make sure that the cops showed up when citizen called 9-1-1, and other city services were working, in spite of the budget problems then you might have a case.

But the fact of the matter is that we have a huge budget deficit AND a complete lack of city services in most parts of Detroit.

Sorry - but it's time to put a grown up in charge.

Mellodrama

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are grown ups @ GM.. so that is obviously not the issue. The facts are quite simple KK has a greater upside than a tired braindead bureaucrat wannabe whose entire campaign mantra is "anybody but the mayor"

The Electorate will make the right choice I have great confidence in the people of Detroit( they rejected BUSH, was the hometown of Rosa Parks never did call the folks of New Orleans "refugees"....

Mellodrama

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ditto

Brian

Post Number: 3195
Posted From: 67.37.84.201
Posted on Friday, October 28, 2005 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does GM's new trouble with the law shed some new light on this analogy? Did GM do something illegal as to why Delphi is going out of business while Visteon recovers?